Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Superficial rust

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Superficial rust

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-15, 06:44 PM

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Superficial rust

At least that is what the shop guy called it. Took my bike in for its first tune up. I get two in the first year. After getting scolded for not "degunking" I asked about the rust on some bolts. It's on the bolt that holds the front dérailleur and a couple bolt heads that hold the front gears together. He says it's from sweat. Since I could gold medal in a sweating competition, I just nodded my head. Told me to wash off the bike after each ride.

Okay, so I have a dedicated sprayer for the bike but now I see more rust. It's the kind of rust that just wipes off. Any tricks to prevent this?
Old 12-13-15, 07:56 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
I suppose the sweat theory is viable, but consider this ... If you ride your bike much near the coast, you're apt to pick up some rust, particularly where you are seeing it (on surfaces facing the front of the bike). I commute along the beach daily, and under those conditions, even aluminum corrodes eventually(!) I've even had the INSIDE of my cable housings rust and need to be replaced.

Do you see much rust elsewhere?

I think the best thing to do is wipe off your bike with a clean rag regularly. I've also heard of those who coat parts with a thin film of Vaseline. Does all that work? Not well, from my experience. It's one of the costs of doing business near the ocean.

Old 12-13-15, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
:Most all bolts, unless stainless steel or chrome plated are cadmium plated and start rusting very quickly when exposed to the weather unless painted or coated with something, even gunk.
Old 12-13-15, 08:26 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I suppose you could start replacing one bolt at a time with titanium...
Old 12-13-15, 08:46 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I suppose you could start replacing one bolt at a time with titanium...
I actually did that on the worst offenders (the stem bolts that affix the handlebar to the stem). They're not cheap, but they're strong and they don't rust.

Titanium Bolts, Titanium Bolt, Titanium Fasteners, Metric Fasteners

Old 12-14-15, 03:15 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Rust on a bike!

On an antique bit of furniture they would call it patina and say it added value.
Old 12-16-15, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
Rust on a bike!

On an antique bit of furniture they would call it patina and say it added value.
This ^^^
Old 12-16-15, 10:24 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
This brings up a good point - it seems no matter how high the price point, bikes come with bolts that rust. It's just ridiculous. As a former motorcycle owner, I never encountered this, and yet we put up with it on bicycles, which are also beautiful precision machines intended to be ridden and parked out in the weather.
Old 12-16-15, 10:46 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There was a discussion in another forum topic talking about possible solutions to this type of rust. I recommended LPS-1, which is a non-petroleum based lubricant. I have used on parts I don't want collecting dirt and dust. By spraying on a rag and wiping down areas / items I have even used it on expensive camera bodies, binoculars, etc. to help prevent corrosion due to sweat and oil from my hands. The LPS-1 hangs around and does not leave a mess like WD40. I understand there may be other options, but LPS-1 works great for me.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 12-16-15, 11:10 PM

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Rubble
At least that is what the shop guy called it. Took my bike in for its first tune up. I get two in the first year. After getting scolded for not "degunking" I asked about the rust on some bolts. It's on the bolt that holds the front dérailleur and a couple bolt heads that hold the front gears together. He says it's from sweat. Since I could gold medal in a sweating competition, I just nodded my head. Told me to wash off the bike after each ride.

Okay, so I have a dedicated sprayer for the bike but now I see more rust. It's the kind of rust that just wipes off. Any tricks to prevent this?
Modern Chinese made bikes.