Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Decided to bite the bullet and upgrade.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-07-16, 08:32 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 214 Posts

After debating over whether or not to upgrade the groupset on my CAAD 10, I went and pulled the trigger on a Shimano Ultegra 6800 set, and another set of 11 speed compatible Fulcrum Racing7 wheels, and the adapter kit for the Shimano bottom bracket to use in the BB30 on my Cannondale. Ribble had the best price, by a long shot, and everything was in stock. I have had great luck with their service on all my prior purchases, they will place an overseas phone call if there is any question about my orders.

I have had SRAM Rival on the bicycle from new, 2012, and its been a while since I used Shimano STI, but I remember most everything about using their shifting system, No biggie there, it will come back quickly. My R500T had their brifters installed, and it was a breeze on the old RSX, and 105, the Ultegra is supposed to be butter smooth. I am looking forward to installing the group's components, and to riding a lot of miles with it. The CAAD 10 frame works great for me, I wasn't interested in getting another type of frame, or a new bike that is assembled. I enjoy the building, and the working on everything, so this is my next step forward.

To those that don't care for people upgrading things, or spending for higher end components (Ultegra is not the top end, Dura Ace is twice the cost,) please stop reading, and let it go. I'll be fine with deleting this thread if it becomes remotely like the "Expensive Bicycles" thread. Thanks if you respect this request.

The Rival set will be thoroughly cleaned, and serviced, for use on a steel frame. That will be a few months down the road. I am able to afford this thanks to my M-I-L, she was very generous with her Christmas gifts this year, to all of us. Monica supports this purchase, or I would not even think about it, she understands how much cycling means to me. This should be fun.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-07-16, 08:46 PM
andr0id

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
You'll hear no criticism from me.

Upgrades using groups from Ribble, Pro Bike Kit or Wiggle are damn good bargains if you have frame you want to keep that fits nicely. Especially if you do the swap-a-roo yourself.
Old 01-07-16, 08:54 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 296 Posts
Upgrading is fun. I hope your down time isnt too long.
Old 01-07-16, 08:56 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,429 Times in 1,184 Posts
Just curious... why Ultegra over Force? Are you unhappy with the Sram double tap?
Old 01-07-16, 10:17 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Sounds great, enjoy!
Old 01-08-16, 05:11 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
The pleasure in planning and anticipating the upgrading of a bike is not far behind the actual pleasure of the riding experience IMO.

Sounds like Christmas worked out well for you this year. Enjoy the ride
Old 01-08-16, 05:53 AM
TriDanny47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
I enjoy the building, and the working on everything, so this is my next step forward.

To those that don't care for people upgrading things, or spending for higher end components (Ultegra is not the top end, Dura Ace is twice the cost,) please stop reading, and let it go. I'll be fine with deleting this thread if it becomes remotely like the "Expensive Bicycles" thread. Thanks if you respect this request.

Bill
Good for you. Enjoy your project.

A couple of years ago, I found an old Huffy road bike for $20 at a thrift store. It was in what I would call almost-mint condition, looked like maybe one or two rides ever, then hung on the garage wall for probably almost 30 years - rubber was rotting from oxidation, etc but paint was perfect, absolutely no rust , not even too dusty, must have been tarped.

I wanted a "tear down and rebuild bike" basically to learn more about bike repair and mechanics. It looked like a good prospect.

So I posted my project idea, some photos, and questions about it on another bike forum. Generated quite a few pages of comments, but only a handful were the kind I was looking for, actual suggestions like "you could use a Shimano crank model ...."

Most of the thread was me repeatedly saying "it's not about the age of the bike, it's not about the cost, it's a learning experience ... It's about the journey, not the destination."

I bought a $200 Wal-mart mt bike in 2014, then put about $400 in upgrades/accessories on it. A lot of forum members didn't get that either ... "You could have bought a Trek for the same $" was a typical comment.

True ... But I wanted a cheap bike to play the amateur at home bike repair game with ... Again as a learning experience. I figured "what can possibly break down more than a Wal-mart bike"? Ok - the joke was on me on that one - used and abused it a fair amount in 2014 and rode it a little, maybe 200 miles, in 2015. The only issue I had was a grip that I installed kept coming apart, I think I over tightened when I was installing it and damaged it a little.

Yes, I "could have" just bought new ... But that wasn't the goal, the process was the goal.
Old 01-08-16, 06:10 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 423 Posts
GOOD FOR YOU!!!

When I had my Propel SL in for new cables, tape, wheel true.... after 2 years the BOSS LADY told me to upgrade to the Ultegra DI2. Just couldn't pull the trigger. Heck, when I got the bike she wanted me to go for the SL0 with the Dura Ace DI2 but that was twice the price.

It's special having the people you love, love what you are doing.
Old 01-08-16, 07:23 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Thanks y'all, its just something I wanted to do for a few months. The SRAM has not been any kind of problem for me, just a desire to use the Ultegra level. Force seems to be overpriced to me, I understand its performance is supposedly good, especially the new Yaw FD. Across the board, SRAM groups run a bit more than Shimano, but they don't show much higher level in their engineering, or manufacturing improvement, IMHO. SRAM has dome some great things with their road bike RD design, and its layout for the knuckles, but I love Shimano's smoothness, and everything is at a very high level of finish quality.

Ultegra sits at a good price point, for me, I would love to be able to own any of the highest level groups, SRAM Red, Shimano Dura Ace (Di2 or mechanical), and Campagnolo Super Record (EPS and mechanical,) but it would be a pipe dream to be able to afford it, right now. My personal life is fixing to change, I am partially retired now, due to the construction industry being down, and its nature is facing a sea change in the way jobs are structured. I am being made unnecessary, unless I change what I do, and throw away 30+ years of experience in the Quality Control/Engineering field. Its no problem, we are set up well, and things will work out, I am certain. We have saved, and planned for this possibility,its Monica's field of expertise, and she is really good at this stuff.

Back to the upgrade, I did several months of research, and shopping, as well as talking with my LBS owners about this step. Ribble simply had the best price, and it is set up to let you perfectly customize the group you order. Several of the on-line shops had things prepackaged, and I couldn't put together exactly the group I wanted, except for Ribble's way of doing things. I also learned that they are offering a high level if customer service, my previous purchases there have been very easy to handle, and they have called my home, when they had to make changes, or ask for some information for my order. They also are pretty fast with their delivery/shipping, this is big time important. I don't expect much down time at all, its pretty much a swap out, nothing needs repairing, and everything will be in place to complete the upgrade in one fell swoop. I have done this type of thing previously, and I have the tools, and skills, to do all the work. I won't rush things, however, that isn't how I like to do things, do it right the first time, and do it correctly, ONCE.

I'll let everyone know how this goes, maybe some pics, if I can manage using that dang newfangled camera thingy. Monica supports this, 100%, I talked to her about what I wanted to do before I started looking at prices, and planning. I am so lucky to be married to my best friend, and that she has the same interests I do. I have known her since we were kids, same neighborhood, and schools/church while growing up, and we dated in HS, a little. College was when I managed to snag her, and I ain't letting go of her.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 01-08-16 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-08-16, 07:33 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
After debating over whether or not to upgrade the groupset on my CAAD 10, I went and pulled the trigger on a Shimano Ultegra 6800 set, and another set of 11 speed compatible Fulcrum Racing7 wheels, and the adapter kit for the Shimano bottom bracket to use in the BB30 on my Cannondale. Ribble had the best price, by a long shot, and everything was in stock. I have had great luck with their service on all my prior purchases, they will place an overseas phone call if there is any question about my orders.

I have had SRAM Rival on the bicycle from new, 2012, and its been a while since I used Shimano STI, but I remember most everything about using their shifting system, No biggie there, it will come back quickly.
Congrats Bill. Upgrading should be fun for you. Post before, during and after pictures if you get a chance.
You'll quickly remember how the shifting system works. At least you're not like me — 9 speed Ultegra (from 2001) on my Litespeed and 11 speed SRAM Red on the Cannondale. I always have to remember which bike I'm riding before I hop on.

Have fun.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 01-08-16, 07:35 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked 1,117 Times in 652 Posts
Bill,
Re: SRAM vs Shimano.....I have 10 yr. old Dura Ace on my Masi (it's the stock group) and a mix of SRAM Red and Force on my Guru. The Guru is all Red except for shifters. The SRAM stuff is 2 yrs. old. I have had no trouble with either and like both a lot. I will say that the Shimano has a much smoother feel to it. IMO any difference in the two systems will be kind of a personal choice thing. Have fun.
Old 01-08-16, 07:45 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bruce and Ron,
Agreed on all points, no issues with either company, or their products. Its just an engineer's mindset thing, not one I can easily explain, so says Monica........

I can manage all the work, easily, no problem with setting up STI, or Doubletap systems, here. Like I said, I own the tools to do everything, and SRAM and Shimano are very similar, and other than the Doubletap operation, its much the same. Cables are the same, new ones are included with the groupset, I am jazzed about doing this work. Getting fresh bar tape, and new tires and tubes, this weekend.

Last edited by qcpmsame; 01-08-16 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-08-16, 07:49 AM
Hermes1

Bikes: Montague Para Trooper High line

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a great project, enjoy it and report on the finished results.
Old 01-08-16, 07:50 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You won't be disappointed with the Ultegra. I've just got a new 105 group and mechanically it's excellent, easily as good as the Ultegra I had six years ago, so I expect the U6800 will be superb. The rate of improvement in this stuff is quite surprising.
Old 01-08-16, 08:09 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5735 Post(s)
Liked 5,498 Times in 2,818 Posts
I think Ultegra is great stuff. I am hard on bikes and bike parts (broken tons of stuff) but Ultegra parts have held up to the abuse I dish out. If I get another road bike I would put Ultegra on it without hesitation.
Old 01-08-16, 09:33 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 6815 Post(s)
Liked 2,116 Times in 1,147 Posts
I like the "bit the bullet" part of the post. yeah, I hated to do it ... I fought it as hard as I could ... but finally I was Forced to "Do what I had wanted to do for so long!!" Yiou are a real trooper, to be willing to endure the suffering of upgrading your bike.

I just got an Ultegra set from merlin. I had to use their choice of bits, because I saved some cash which I couldn't afford to spend, but I got what I need for now for a price I coulsd afford. I would rather have gotten a GS instead of SS RD so I have ther 32-tooth option, but for what I ride, 28 should cover me anyway.

Like you I am eager to get started with assembly but not in a hurry. Going to actually try to do everything right the first time, for a change.

Congrats most of all for your luck with/ choice of partners. I'd never trade in mine (unless I got a Really sweet deal on an upgrade ((obviously j/k (in case she reads this))) but to have a lifelong friend who shares your interests ... that really is priceless. Wish you guys all the right stuff ... and post pics when you can please.
Old 01-08-16, 09:58 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 405 Posts
Good for you!

Hey ... when you bought the group, did you end up paying any customs charges? I got nailed by customs, but good ... and that was only buying a pair of shoes from PBK.

I hear ya on that sea-change stuff. I know I have to learn to embrace change ... even changes for the worse. But that doesn't mean that I have to like it.

Old 01-08-16, 10:46 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 68 Posts
Enjoy the project. Like many here, I too find tinkering on the bikes to be therapeutic and despite the costs, with a little attention (like buying through Ribble) it's still cheaper than a lot of hobbies. Then there's the added benefit that when you're finished you've got a great bike to ride.
Old 01-08-16, 11:38 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 6815 Post(s)
Liked 2,116 Times in 1,147 Posts
I got an Ultegra group from Merlin for no extra added duty costs whatsoever, even though it was over the supposed $200 cut-off where duties are charged. YMMV.

It also shipped as fast as a Nashbar purchase I made at the same time.
Old 01-08-16, 01:59 PM
Gnosis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bill, I love upgrading (though my preference is upgrading inexpensive mountain bikes). I couldn’t be happier for you! Enjoy the upgrade process (I always do, that’s half the fun).
Old 01-08-16, 02:08 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Sounds like a fun and rewarding upgrade. I've set up and test ridden several bikes with the Ultegra 11 speed, and it works beautifully. I'd be hard pressed to declare either Campagnolo (I'm running Record on one bike), SRAM (I'm running Force on another bike) or Shimano (ran Ultegra for years) as best. It is hard to go wrong these days. Let us know how the build progresses.

Sure can't blame anyone for going for a better price on components. But I do have a lot of heartburn with the way Shimano prices their international distribution such that UK retailers can sell components for the same or less than US dealers pay wholesale. (It's not only Shimano, but they are by far the worst offender.)
Old 01-08-16, 02:59 PM
fishboy316

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Congrats Bill! It is always exciting to get something new for the bike!

I agree bruce! I have a set of DA7900 sitting in my basement that my daughter gave me when she upgraded to DA9000. I can't bring myself to change my Sram

Rival/red mix as I really like the double tap. I know the DA is a nicer group but I really like Sram. It is a personal choice and you can't hardly go wrong with either.

Bill
Old 01-08-16, 03:04 PM
yetirider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depending on your cable location the Ultegra front mech can be a bit of a pain to set up, just need a bit a patience.
Workshop: How to set up Shimano Ultegra & Dura-Ace - BikeRadar

Good luck enjoy the ride.
Old 01-08-16, 03:04 PM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
congrats... I have 3 bikes with the 6800 on them... love it.
Old 01-08-16, 03:28 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Awesome Bill! You can't take it with you so you may as well spend it on nice things for yourself while you have the chance. I love the Ultegra drive train on my Colnago.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.