Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Road ID ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-16, 10:34 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hankaye
Howdy All;

Just getting back into peddle-powered movement and the idea of
being 66 (soon to be 67), with COPD and being out an about in an
area where I've only lived for almost 3 years (it's very rural), and
English is a second language for the larger amount of the population
(Southwestern N.M.). So, ... not many folks know me, yea they've
seen me drive by in the pick-up, but they don't know me.

For those of you that do have a Road ID, what type of medical info. do
you consider imperative to include. Also, I'm getting all my health care
from the VA and if any of y'all do likewise and have moved you understand
how your records do NOT follow you from State to State or district to district.
There is NO National VA record deposit that I have been able to locate ...

Thoughts ... recommendations ... Ideas ???

Thanks for your consideration.

hank
Thanks for your service! I'm also a Disabled Veteran and highly recommend Road ID. There is ample room on their online form to provide additional emergency contacts and medical information.

I include my current medications, my Primary Care Physician with contact information and the contact information for the Veterans Administration Medical Center where I am currently enrolled and my previous one as well. That should cover things fairly well. Your current medical condition(s) should certainly be covered. Emergency Medical Personnel should be well schooled to look for a "Medical ID" in case the patient is incapable of providing any information or referring them to your Road ID.

Since you are in a rural area I would contact the Local Fire Rescue office and inquire about their knowledge of Road ID. Putting them on notice that a "Road ID" exists might very well save someone's life. As a former Aeromedical Evacuation Pilot who flew for the civilian population of Washington State under Military Assistance to Traffic and Safety there was a tremendous difference between the Paramedics in Seattle and the services available through small volunteer Fire Departments in the rural areas of the state.

Check out Ride 2 Recovery. A Veteran's NGO that utilizes cycling as a tool for recovery. Great organization.

Again, thanks for your service!

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Last edited by fthomas; 04-14-16 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-15-16, 06:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As a paramedic, the information that would be useful to me includes:

Name and Date of Birth
Medical conditions that could be life threatening
Severe allergies, especially to medication
Certain medications like anticoagulants (blood thinners) or beta-blockers
Contact information for someone familiar with your medical history and who can make medical decisions on your behalf if you are unconscious
Donor status (though an ID band is not a legal document allowing harvesting of organs, it at least indicates your wishes)

There is no need to list your blood type. If you're seriously injured the first blood you will receive in any hospital is O neg, commonly referred to as trauma blood, which can be given to anyone. If your condition is less immediate, they will draw and cross match before giving you any blood. No medical facility would ever give type specific blood based on an ID bracelet. If you are going to use any abbreviations to save space, make sure you know the approved medical abbreviations.

Here is an example of an ID band that I would find useful:

John Q Cyclist DOB 4-13-1972
CAD, a-fib, Type 2 diabetes
Medications: Coumadin, Metformin, Metoprolol
Allergic to sulfa, PCN
ICE: Maria L Cyclist 444-555-6666 cell
Organ Donor

Of course how much information you can get on your ID depends on the brand and style. It is always a good idea to carry a picture ID with your name, DOB, and current address. With modern electronic medical records, hospitals can usually find your information quickly if they have proper means of identification.
Old 04-15-16, 08:52 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
On my lock screen I have my name and address along with my I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) contact info. I also keep that info in the phone provided area... but not everyone knows how to access that. But everyone can read a lock screen.
Thanks for that simple idea - ICE info on the lock screen. Just made the change. Now lets hope its never needed.
Old 04-15-16, 01:54 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rwings
.... Now I think I will start wearing my dog tags.
Wow. I know mine are laying around somewhere... never thought about that. Great idea.
Old 04-15-16, 06:46 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
If you weren't in the military, or like me you got rid of the dog-tags, RoadID has them available as one of their choices.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-15-16, 07:30 PM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Re dog tags, you don't really want your SS# out there for anyone to read, do you? Mine also say "none," or something similar, in the religion category and someone might interpret that as the answer to some more relevant question.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 04-15-16 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-15-16, 08:16 PM
Semper Fi

To the best of my knowledge, RoadID tags have just what you want on them, if the SSN# is used that is the error of the person ordering them. If you are referring to military tags, personally I would not be for using them for just the reason you mentioned, the religion is personal choice, I have a request for an Episcopal priest in the on-line information at Road ID, just something I wanted in the space for unclassified/non-medical stuff.

The "none" thing presents all kinds of interesting scenarios to my warped mind

Bill

Old 04-16-16, 05:10 AM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
I was referring to what's on my govt-rgulation dog tags. Name, SS, DOB,—everything you need to steal my ID at the worst possible time. "NONE" is right at the top. Who knows what a civ ER functionary would make of that.

I have a nice webbing bracelet that gives my info and my wife's phone number. I'm very glad to hear that responders look for these things.
Old 04-16-16, 06:31 AM

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
Neither of these are particularly good ideas for being identified. An EMT will cut your jersey away to get your vitals and look at your body without giving any thought to seeing what's on your person as that can all be sorted out later. Anyway, the EMT is not responsible to call your designated medical Power of Attorney.

I recommend a road ID or similar type bracelet in a bright, noticeable color. Yellow or bright green are good.

Really, don't expect someone to search you so they can notify your wife. It won't happen when the blood if flowing.

One our local riders, a young lady in her 30's, spent four days in a coma in Florida (we live in Texas) after an accident on an MUP. She was careflighted away from the area and it took four days for her husband to find her. Just sayin........
Perhaps, but I think your making an incorrect assumption, namely that the EMT somehow magically arrives without first being called to respond. It seems very likely that the PERSON who comes across me, will notice the bulges in my tri pocket shirt and PERHAPS look for ID or contact info. Also it is standard procedure that when an emergency call for medical assistance goes out, it goes to 911 and police will respond and often arrive before the ambulance. If they don't check for info or contact info then it's a pretty sorry pd iMHO
Old 04-16-16, 07:14 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
Perhaps, but I think your making an incorrect assumption, namely that the EMT somehow magically arrives without first being called to respond. It seems very likely that the PERSON who comes across me, will notice the bulges in my tri pocket shirt and PERHAPS look for ID or contact info. Also it is standard procedure that when an emergency call for medical assistance goes out, it goes to 911 and police will respond and often arrive before the ambulance. If they don't check for info or contact info then it's a pretty sorry pd iMHO
Whatever. And good luck with that.
Old 04-16-16, 07:19 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN

Name and Date of Birth
Contact information for someone familiar with your medical history and who can make medical decisions on your behalf if you are unconscious
Donor status (though an ID band is not a legal document allowing harvesting of organs, it at least indicates your wishes)

There is no need to list your blood type. If you're seriously injured the first blood you will receive in any hospital is O neg, commonly referred to as trauma blood, which can be given to anyone. If your condition is less immediate, they will draw and cross match before giving you any blood. No medical facility would ever give type specific blood based on an ID bracelet. If you are going to use any abbreviations to save space, make sure you know the approved medical abbreviations.

Allergic to sulfa, PCN
Organ Donor

Of course how much information you can get on your ID depends on the brand and style. It is always a good idea to carry a picture ID with your name, DOB, and current address. With modern electronic medical records, hospitals can usually find your information quickly if they have proper means of identification.
I wear my information around my neck on an elastic band.

Old 04-16-16, 08:53 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Road ID.
Old 04-16-16, 09:13 AM

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GravelMN

Name and Date of Birth

Allergic to sulfa, PCN
Organ Donor

This is a very useful post. I am revising the ID tags I carry and this seems very helpful. I have a Road ID wrist band and plan to get a dog tag as well. Having come across a few accidents and seeing what can happen, I am not a believer in relying on my jersey, shorts, phone or anything else being in tact if the worse happens: things can get torn off, thrown long distances, and such. If I just drop over, that is another story, but you never know......
Old 04-16-16, 09:17 AM

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
Glad I came across this thread. I just placed an order for my RoadID. Very useful information, thank you!
Old 04-17-16, 05:36 PM
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I was referring to what's on my govt-rgulation dog tags. Name, SS, DOB,—everything you need to steal my ID at the worst possible time. "NONE" is right at the top. Who knows what a civ ER functionary would make of that.

I have a nice webbing bracelet that gives my info and my wife's phone number. I'm very glad to hear that responders look for these things.
Understood, if someone saw "None" on my dog tags, they would instantly assume it was the amount of Brain Matter inside my thick skull. I did choose the web model bracelet, I have several that I swap out as the sweaty one gets washed and dries out. I have absolutely no idea where my dog tags are, long gone now.

The limit is six lines on Road ID, I had most of what was said to be useful, above, not everything. With all my problems, and now Parkinson's Disease, the interactive type made sense. My wife has the stretchy, top level bracelet. I do have my wife's name and her cell phone number on the face plate of my interactive RoadID, in case some ER person doesn't want to fool with logging in at RoadID, and will call my NOK.

Bill

Old 04-17-16, 06:34 PM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Road ID should have ankle bands where you can attached 2 or more tags. That would give plenty of space for all the info you want to convey.

For example, one for contact and a second for health info.
Old 04-20-16, 09:56 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Obed, Cannondale Scalpel, Spcialized AWOL, Litespeed Solano, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear one called GetMyID.com It has a QR code on the inside that, when scanned, links to my profile page that includes lots of good info for EMT's or whoever.
Old 04-21-16, 11:08 AM

Bikes: Cannondale SR400

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I lost my Road Id last december. I haven't replaced it yet, but I have a temporary "home-made" one I wear around my neck on a metal dog tag. It has my name, address, contact info , blood type and "NKA" for no known allergies. It's not as nice as the Road Id but it is serviceable.
Old 06-18-16, 08:27 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
There is a bunch of useful help with a smart phone. Even OP's VA records can be download to a phone (https://www.myhealth.va.gov/index.html).

I make my own smartphone lock screen (but might consider disabling it). On my lock screen I have my name and address along with my I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) contact info. I also keep that info in the phone provided area... but not everyone knows how to access that. But everyone can read a lock screen.

I used an image I took off my phone while using a rotary dial app I have. Here is a "sorta sample"... I think it make a interesting and humorous lock screen

And to make even simpler... I photocopied my DL and health Ins card on one sheet (folded so its DL on one side Ins card on the other side). I wrote contact info in the margins... then laminated it. I keep that in a Ziploc baggie with my phone and a few bucks.
On topic of phone IDs.. at least specifically for iPhones (not sure if android provides similar), I recommend anyone with an iphone to use the Apple Health app that comes by default on any newish phones to create a Medical ID page that is accessible from the lock screen without requiring unlocking the phone first (touching the "Emergency" link in bottom left of the lock screen). It's pretty much a no-brainer.
Attached Images
Old 06-19-16, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never leave home without my Road ID. Besides my name I include the following , year of birth and 2 emergency contacts (name and phone number). I also have a unusual blood clotting condition that I included as well as the fact that I am on blood thinners. Of course I also carry my cellie with me and my wallet.
Old 06-19-16, 08:09 PM

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My Road ID is pretty basic. ICE number, NKA, My name and d.o.b. I always wrap it around my handle bars after each ride so I can't leave it at home. My wife is a huge fan of their app as well.
Old 06-19-16, 08:53 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, after this thread , I'm considering either Road ID or something similar .