Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Thank you Curtis et al.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Thank you Curtis et al.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-16, 01:03 AM

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thank you Curtis et al.

I read with interest the discussion of the 65+ shirt design etc based on Curtis' original design. Now that I am almost 68 (in June) and living in Doha, Qatar, the idea of even joining a 50+ annual ride is impossible to conceive. No one even understands what the symbol on my 50+ shirt means. Thank you again to the Canadian donor for sending it to me a number of years ago.

No matter. I still wear it occasionally (for my psychological benefit) and will get one or two copies (as someone suggested). However, the copies will be either 65+ or 70-

Carry on folks
Old 02-19-16, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Thank you Curtis et al.

Originally Posted by tmac100
I read with interest the discussion of the 65+ shirt design etc based on Curtis' original design. Now that I am almost 68 (in June) and living in Doha, Qatar, the idea of even joining a 50+ annual ride is impossible to conceive. No one even understands what the symbol on my 50+ shirt means. Thank you again to the Canadian donor for sending it to me a number of years ago.

No matter. I still wear it occasionally (for my psychological benefit) and will get one or two copies (as someone suggested). However, the copies will be either 65+ or 70-

Carry on folks
Hi @tmac100,

I was intrigued by the above highlighted comment about the symbolism of the 50+ jersey, and why it would not be understood in Qatar. FYA, I posted to the recent (now closed) thread, “50+ Jerseys and Shorts, Group Buy”:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I don’t own a Fifty-Plus jersey, though I’m an active participant in the Fifty-Plus Annual Rides; actually I don’t own any cycling-specific jerseys. But what I find stylistic about the jersey is the “50” in the US highway shield-shaped road sign. It’s evocative of US Route 50 which crosses the continent from Ocean City MD to Sacramento, CA. In Nevada, it’s known as ”America’s Loneliest Highway,” and it calls to mind the joys of the open road.

When we crossed the country from LA to Washington DC, we paralleled US 50 from Kansas, and rode it into DC as Constitution Ave. US Route 65…Albert Lea, MN to Clayton, LA… I suggest you wait until age 66 to change the design [Route 66].
PS: Route 70 runs for 2,385 miles from eastern North Carolina to east-central Arizona, FWIW.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-19-16 at 06:37 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 02-19-16, 06:56 AM

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Here in Doha there are some bicyclists, but few are from Canada/USA as compared to those from India and Pakistan and the Philippines. Hence my comment.

FWIW, I lived in Canada but at one point studied in Minneapolis. I am quite familiar with the Interstate highway system - and especially I94 (Minneapolis and Fargo) and I29 (Fargo and the ND/Manitoba border). Do you remember the signs in the mid-80s: 55 means 55? Those were the days: gas "rationing" etc...