Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Should I worry about the cassette on my new Synapse

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-23-16, 04:48 PM
FamilyMan007

Bikes: Dream Ti bike to celebrate turning 70 - frame by Seven; Cannondale Synapse carbon Ultegra 3 (2015 model), Cannondale Quick SL-1 (2012 model); Bianchi touring bike (1985 - Sold); Raleigh Super Course (1975 - donated to friend)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

In an earlier post I announced the acquisition my first road bike (Synapse Carbon Ultegra 5 - 2015 model year).

So sitting at home today with temperatures just below freezing - sorry, not my ideal riding scenario - and decided show the bike some tangible TLC by putting on a protective coat of polish.

Take off the wheels - and I find that (contrary to the 'Ultegra' specs) the rear cassette is marked as a 105 version.

Presumably I am not the first person this has happened to - so asking for advice:
~ should I forget all about it ? [I am not really concerned about any minor weight difference - and will I even notice any difference?]
~ If I mention it to the LBS - what type of response should I expect?
Old 02-23-16, 05:54 PM
freedomrider1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, i checked the specs and it states Ultegra cassette. I think i would bring it up to your shop. I don't think it matters a whole lot, but i bet the 105 is less than Ultegra. hmm. Keep us updated.
Old 02-23-16, 06:00 PM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a quick look at a 105 11speed and a Ultegra 11 speed it looks like about a 12 dollar difference.
Old 02-23-16, 06:23 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
@FamilyMan007,

TBH, if I were you I wouldn't give a second, or indeed any further thought. Two reasons (related):

First, I'm assuming you have a good relationship with this LBS, and that you might have a got a reasonably good deal on the bike? If so, and given that for all (and I mean all) practical purposes there will be no functional difference between the two items (other than a negligible bit of weight) it's not, to my mind, worth the bother for you or them.

Second, although I haven't checked I'm willing to bet that Cannondale's website carries the industry-standard disclaimer to the effect that 'specifications are subject to change without notice' etc. This kind of thing is not at all uncommon; Ultegra cassettes become unavailable during the production run, they switch to 105 (next 'best'). Common with parts such as front or rear derailleurs, chains, cassettes. It happens; one consequence is that in fact (legal) the LBS isn't responsible for the discrepancy in any event. Would be different if, for example, you received the bike with 105 rather than Ultegra brifters (a very expensive part), but you didn't. The cassette will wear out; 'upgrade' it to Ultegra when you need to replace it if you like.

That's my take, fwiw.
Old 02-23-16, 07:40 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride the bike and when the cassette wears out replace it with an Ultegra cassette. You might even find you want different cogs when you replace it.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 02-23-16, 09:17 PM
MWF78RIDER

Bikes: 2016 Cannonade Synapse Carbon disc 105; 1987 Trek 400T Elance; 1997 Trek 850 Mt Track

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannonade does in fact have the disclaimer on their website: Cannondale reserves the right to make changes to information contained on this site at any time without notice, including with respect to prices, specifications, equipment, models, colors, and materials
Old 02-23-16, 09:26 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Should you worry about it? No.

Either do something about it or forget about it, but life is too short to worry about little stuff.

FWIW, it appears the 105 cassette is the correct spec for that model. Not uncommon for a manufacturer to substitute different level compatible components to achieve a price point.
http://road-bikes.gearsuite.com/l/61...QiVp&st=1WTaeN
Old 02-24-16, 06:01 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
The only time I don't use a 105 cassette is when what I want is not available in the 105 range. My current 11-speed cassette is a 105 12-25...I think of it as my "old man's corn cob."

Demain, on roule!
Old 02-24-16, 06:19 AM
FamilyMan007

Bikes: Dream Ti bike to celebrate turning 70 - frame by Seven; Cannondale Synapse carbon Ultegra 3 (2015 model), Cannondale Quick SL-1 (2012 model); Bianchi touring bike (1985 - Sold); Raleigh Super Course (1975 - donated to friend)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for responses - helped me come to realisation the 105 cassette is not enough of an issue to spend any more time on.

[Re specs:
I take the point re a 'disclaimer'. However, I find it interesting that there are different understandings of the official 'pre-disclaimer' specs:
~ I have been unable to find the bike on the official Cannondale site (strange, when I bought my hybrid, I know I could research back to previous year models);
~ the Cannondale site shows the 2016 model having 'Ultegra 6800' cassette (http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bik...9-d0d717b8725a ) ;
~ the bike store I bought it from shows 'Ultegra' cassette (Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra - www.chainreactionbicycles.ca )

I guess one take-away is not to fret too much about the detailed specs - ride different bikes - buy the one that works for you.

I am looking forward to lots of enjoyable rides on my new bike.
I will find it interesting to see what (if any) difference it makes to how long it takes for some standard routes I ride (not that speed is in any way a prime motivator for me - but it would be nice to cut say 5% off my time for my next century ride).
Old 02-24-16, 07:25 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it doesn't matter, why does the Ultegra cost more, and why are the manufacturer and the LBS collecting more money for the Ultegra? I mean, if it doesn't matter, why not put the Ultegra cassette on every bike in the shop, since it doesn't matter?

If you paid for Ultegra, and that's what the manufacturer specified for this model of bike, then you should have Ultegra. Since it doesn't matter, it shouldn't be any problem for the shop to install the Ultegra cassette, and recover the cost from the manufacturer.
Old 02-24-16, 07:50 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
The latest website is hard to navigate, but the catalog archive is still available. Link:https://issuu.com/cannondale_usa/doc...912505/8937095

I have the 6800/Ultegra cassette on my bike, its great, but looking at the 5800/105 cassette, these are extremely close in their specs. Every article I read about the two groups had stated that they are so close in their performance that using the 105 isn't looked at as stepping back as much as it used to be. Lots of folks here said they got a 5800 group, and were convinced that it was as good as the Ultegra.

Cannondale will hang their hat on the disclaimer if you were having it out with them about this, but I suspect that a dealer would swap the cassette, is you presented your concerns to them. If its a really important point with you, see the LBS and talk with them about this, my experience, with our LBS, is that they are going to try and satisfy you, within reason. Our LBS, and the representative for Cannondale in this area, usually bend over backwards to accommodate folks when something is amiss. I had a computer that lost its temperature sensor function, I had dropped it, totally my bad. the shop, and the C'Dale rep both insisted on giving me a new unit, no charge. It is not the first time they have been this nice, or this proactive about customer service. I am sure you can find someone that has had a bad experience with Cannondale that wants to rake them over the coals, every manufacturer has someone with issues about their product. Give Cannondale, and your LBS a shot at this, if you feel that you were slighted about which cassette you received.

BTW, very nice bicycle you have there.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 02-24-16 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-24-16, 09:08 AM
FamilyMan007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
... If its a really important point with you ...
Thanks for taking time to research & respond

But No further action contemplated re the cassette - I have truly come to think this does not matter - concentrate on enjoying the bike

BTW, very nice bicycle you have there.
Thanks Bill - I value your opinion on these matters
Old 02-26-16, 02:06 PM
roadie7

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honesty is the main point. If the LBS advertised the bike with all ultegra, yet you ended up with a 105, you deserve an explanation. The LBS and/or rep may point to the website but they will know that you raised the question. I'm surprised that the LBS salesman didn't point out the "mix" of parts. I sold bikes for 18 years and would be mortified if I sold a bike and ended up with this problem.

Just one view.
Old 02-26-16, 02:25 PM
freedomrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my thoughts also.
Originally Posted by roadie7 View Post
Honesty is the main point. If the LBS advertised the bike with all ultegra, yet you ended up with a 105, you deserve an explanation. The LBS and/or rep may point to the website but they will know that you raised the question. I'm surprised that the LBS salesman didn't point out the "mix" of parts. I sold bikes for 18 years and would be mortified if I sold a bike and ended up with this problem.

Just one view.