Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Shaving...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-16, 12:46 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I manscape with an electric razor set to max length, so basically I'm shortening all the hair to a humane density. Wifey does my back.
Old 03-25-16, 01:35 PM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
So, let me be a real pain in the arse and suggest that if road rash is what worries you, use clippers to get the ground cover down to a level where it won't block irrigation or obscure pebbles, and if you don't have that much hair, leave it alone. Shaving increases the risk of wound infection by stripping the surrounding skin of its ability to keep bacterial growth in check and that's the source in the majority of infected wounds.
Old 03-25-16, 01:40 PM

Bikes: Montague Para Trooper High line

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never have and if I start now my dear lovely wife would surely have something to say. Having said that, I am among those who do not have much hair on my legs, at least not enough to make a difference.
Old 03-25-16, 02:10 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
This OLD post from way back in my early days on Bike Forums always makes me laugh.
https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-s...e-my-legs.html

Originally Posted by Stumon
CAUTION!!!

Don't shave your legs! Really. You're asking for trouble!

I have to warn all of you about one seldom talked about danger of shaving your legs...

In the early 1980s, I was in my mid twenties, buff & toned, and a fast enough cyclist to stand a chance in local races. Naturally, to gain acceptance from the Bike Powers That Be, (or Were) I made sure that my legs were as smooth as those of the girls at the Cheetah III.

Trouble is, I got to really liking the ritual... you know, buying women's skin-care products, sinking into a hot bath and shaving, the cremes and lotions... I began to shave my armpits, just for the heck of it. I kept my facial stubble all-but-invisible.

One day, I came across a stash of makeup leftover from an ex-girlfriend who had halfway moved in. A little eyeliner to bring out my eyes, just a tiny bit of lip gloss for the Bardot look...

Somebody, somewhere, should be saying "uh oh..."

Before too long, I was wearing silk panties under my Nashbar eight-panel shorts, and I occasionally ordered plus sizes from the women's clothing section of the bike catalogs.

Since I had an extremely masculine hairline... as in: already balding at age 24... I waited until Halloween and bought a really nice "Cher" wig from the Sally Beauty Supply Company. Nobody though it was weird... they just figured that I had a costume party to go to.

The ruse was complete. By 1983 I was a full fledged transvestite biker. I'd go on mixed rides sponsored by LBSs in full bikerette drag, and I answered to "Lydia." The guys would all hit on me, the girls looked at me as if I was from some other planet.

It gets worse. I'd dress out in transvestite biker casual clothes and wander into bike shops. Bike wrenches, known for their lack of respect from the opposite sex, would fall all over this muscular young lady who came it to check out this years' machines. None of the guys ever suspected... James, you know who you are!

I began thinking... "Hey, I'm short and thinly built... I'll bet I could pass as a 'she' in a bike race. Hmmmm, I could compete as a woman, and smoke the real ones. This was probably the only way I was ever gonna win a race.

I entered, I competed, I won. And won. And won. By 1987, I had a rep as a seriously fast and powerful biker, who just might be a ****... nobody knew for sure. Then one day on a hilly stage of a race in the Blue Ridge, it happenned... I crashed. Bad. CPR on the scene, life support in the ambulance, multiple surgeries at the hospital.

And every cyclist in four states found out that I was a man. Reputation: torpedoed & sunk. Race career: way beyond over.
Legal problems became serious... It seems that misrepresentation of gender for financial gain is a federal crime.

It took the intervention of the Federal Witness Protection Program (God bless those guys!) and my agreement to turn state's evidence on a huge transvestite & transsexual sports racket... to get me clear of all this trouble. I changed my name, grew a beard, let my leg, chest, back, and 'pit hair grow out... and kept a very low profile.

For years, I didn't dare ride a bike, but I gradually grew brave enough to sneak out at dawn or dusk. Today, I ride dilletante-style comfort bikes, with toe clip pedals and rear parcel racks. I dress macho, too... black & white vans, baggy shorts, and tank tops that show off all that body hair. I make sure that everyone sees that I'm bald.

I ride in the shadows, on the fringe of society, careful not to draw any attention to who I was or what I did. "Lydia" is long gone, and I am nothing without her.

ALL BECAUSE I USED TO SHAVE MY LEGS!!!

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 03-25-16 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-25-16, 06:20 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eatontkd
I've been riding, off and on, for years. I've never shaved my legs. Do any of you shave? My wife would surely have a fitful response to this. So, I'm thinking about going for it.
Just my ears-they really slow me down.
Old 03-25-16, 06:39 PM

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Old coach
Just my ears-they really slow me down.
Ahh, that magical age of plucking ears and nose to keep them from scaring little children... Getting old is weird on a guy...
Old 03-25-16, 07:05 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Due to DNA from the native american side I have no need to shave my legs. It is my one and only claim to be "genetically gifted" for the sport of cycling.

Now the ears on the other hand ... been shaving them for years.
Old 03-25-16, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I'm not scheduled for double leg surgery, I can't think of one good reason to shave my legs.
Old 03-26-16, 05:20 AM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I Shave,
I wear shorts to work,
I like the feel,
I like the look,
Wound management IS better, I know this first hand.
I ride a mountain bike and at rides end I am filthy, the trail head has no water so a gallon jug of water and no leg hair makes for a quick clean rinse and towel wipe.

But mostly I like the look,
My wife likes it also,
I'm proud of my Guns,
I got pretty legs

Velominati The keepers of the cog,, the rules, I follow them..

Rule #33 Shave your guns:

Legs are to be carefully shaved at all times. If, for some reason, your legs are to be left hairy, make sure you can dish out plenty of hurt to shaved riders, or be considered a hippie ****** on your way to a Critical Mass. Whether you use a straight razor or a Bowie knife, use Baxter to keep them smooth.

https://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Last edited by osco53; 03-26-16 at 05:27 AM. Reason: I cant speeel
Old 03-26-16, 06:35 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Tamland 1

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These days it seems to be the case that young men shave EVERYTHING! That being said, hairy legs sprouting beneath bike shorts are truly hideous in my opinion. I mean, why shave our faces other than for aesthetic reasons or to fit in with socio-cultural norms? When I raced, I shaved the legs. Now I'm so old my legs are as smooth as a baby's bottom, but they look great!
Old 03-26-16, 07:28 AM

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I guess my case is hopeless. I have a beard. That must really slow me down.
But given Viking's coments at least I'm aesthetically balanced.
Old 03-26-16, 08:23 AM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Only two reasons:

-First, the aforementioned road-rash reduction. It really does help with cleanup and dressing
of wounds.

-Second, Most ladies like it. A lot. Perhaps the best reason of all.

You probably should not shave them if you are concerned about what the guys in
the office sports betting pool might think.

I've been shaving them for decades now. I like the look and feel, and no, I am not concerned
with what anyone else thinks.

Besides all that, aren't we all supposed to "celebrate diversity" these days?
Old 03-26-16, 06:44 PM

Bikes: '13 Felt F85, Giant Revel 1 29er, '16 Giant AnyRoad 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! I was thinking about how much faster I'd be, I can almost hear the roar of the crowd as I cross the finish line. Then I remember it's only me and the animals out there when I get my early morning rides in, so no I'll keep the hair. I really don't think it will make that big of a difference.
Old 03-27-16, 11:42 AM

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
You guys are puttin me off biking. . . mens legs look best.covered. shaved or otherwise. Cycling legs look even worse. All ligaments and wiry muscle, YEEUK! (vomit quietly). Ill get over it. . .
But ladies legs. . . cycling really really makes em look great. Shaved or. . .ummmm. I got that wrong haha
Old 03-27-16, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I grew a full beard about ten years ago but I try to keep it trimmed so it doesn't slow me down too much, or risk getting it caught in the chain.
Old 03-27-16, 07:30 PM

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
What about eye brows? You've slicked down everything else, so now the eye brows are sticking out like hairy little sails. Pluck 'em or the wind will catch them and tilt your head back so hard you'll get a neck injury.
Old 03-27-16, 11:48 PM

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I did when I was younger and occasionally raced intermediate level crits and time trials. I suppose it was helpful a few times after crashes for first aid to road rash. I doubt it made me any faster - I've never had enough leg hair to matter. And I barely notice any discomfort from pulling out hairs, whether peeling bandages off slowly or yanking quickly. One advantage to being older with chronic pain is the little stuff is hardly noticeable anymore. But shaving would probably be helpful for wooly bears and caveman types.
The adhesive on most bandages isn't very water resistant, so they almost fall off by themselves when you bathe with soap and water.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 03-28-16, 09:49 AM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Had a minor crash the other day and noticed the large bandaid I carried in my first aid kit, and salon pas pain relief patches, don't quite stick around the corners. The little bit of hair on my arms and legs get in the way. Shaving probably makes it easier for folks who use supportive sports tape too.
Old 03-28-16, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by peterws
Dont shave! Use Veet for Men. .

Another customer, the Cantakerous Tiger wrote: "I like the clean shaven look down in my gentleman's log cabin, so for the past few years I've used a shaver. However the hair keeps growing back... so I decided to get to the root of the problem and purchased this product.

"Probably the first thing you will notice after using this product is the pain. Although as a man I lack the required experience, I'm going to estimate that using this product is at least eleven times more painful than childbirth.

"Imagine sticking a rusty razor blade into your favourite eye, before tying your hands behind your back. Then imagine that you use the entrenched razor blade to slice open a raw onion. All the while being butt naked.

"This product is slightly more painful than that."

But still worth a three star rating.
Real hard men use an epilator.
Old 03-28-16, 10:02 AM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Wow. No one has ever discussed this here before.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 03-28-16, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
I shaved for a couple years back in my racing days. Got it out of my system (along with riding fixed gear). No point to it any more, really.

SP
OC, OR
Old 03-28-16, 11:59 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by bargeon
What about eye brows? You've slicked down everything else, so now the eye brows are sticking out like hairy little sails. Pluck 'em or the wind will catch them and tilt your head back so hard you'll get a neck injury.
And pin those big ears back. Dont let those catch wind and start oscillating.
Old 03-28-16, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Yes, but not in winter months.
Shaving + Nair keeps it smooth.

As @MoAlpha stated = a mild eccentricity.
Why not extend this chat to facial hair; facial hair can have affect on aerodynamics.
Old 03-28-16, 02:23 PM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
I'm always entertained by the combination of adolescent homophobia and ignorance of actual testing that shows up in these threads. Some folks doth protesteth much at what amounts to a simple personal grooming/hygenic/performance choice.

Smoke'em if you got'em.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 03-28-16, 02:35 PM

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
....... I now have almost no hair below the knees from being old.
Not uncommon in older men. But caused by age?? Anterolateral Leg Alopecia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.