Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Michelin Power Comp: The New Kid On The Podium (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1057030-michelin-power-comp-new-kid-podium.html)

OldsCOOL 04-05-16 10:30 AM

Michelin Power Comp: The New Kid On The Podium

I'm not one of the bikesnobs as spoken of in the recent thread....and truthfully, I wouldnt care if I was. HOWEVER, I am a SPEED snob. And here is my next tireset from my favorite brand. Cant wait to pry them on. :lol:

First Look: Michelin Power Tires | Bicycling

canklecat 04-05-16 11:09 AM

Good grief, those tires are a fifth the weight of my Michelin Protek Cross Max 700x40's. If I had the right bike I'd try 'em. Not much point on a 30+ lb comfy hybrid.

OldsCOOL 04-05-16 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 18665922)
Good grief, those tires are a fifth the weight of my Michelin Protek Cross Max 700x40's. If I had the right bike I'd try 'em. Not much point on a 30+ lb comfy hybrid.

Huge difference, though. You could go with one of the other types and still reap the weight and rolling improvements no matter the weight of the bike. I currently run Michelin Krylion Carbon 23's. I had been using the insanely heavy Bontrager B 25's for 3 seasons when the krylion had been ranked very high in rolling performance and weight savings (235g). I bought a set of the smaller 23's. The weight savings was about 100g per tire plus the much more agile rolling performance. This was on a lighter bike (22lb'ish) Trek 460 racer. The difference was stunning. I immediately was quicker on all my courses.

You would feel the difference on a heavier bike, I'm confident of that.

Biker395 04-05-16 12:02 PM

Just when I settled on the Pro4 Endurance tires. :notamused:

rando_couche 04-05-16 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 18666117)

Well duh! You found something you like.OF COURSE they’re going to stop making them! :troll:

SP
OC, OR

OldsCOOL 04-05-16 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Biker395 (Post 18666117)

So typical. I have at least 2 more seasons on these fun little Krylions. I was looking at the Pro4 and saw this posted on the roadie forum. Glad I saw it. No doubts on my next set, just a question of when.

Kindaslow 04-05-16 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL (Post 18666326)
So typical. I have at least 2 more seasons on these fun little Krylions. I was looking at the Pro4 and saw this posted on the roadie forum. Glad I saw it. No doubts on my next set, just a question of when.

You are a complete failure as a snob if your answer to when is anything but ASAP. No hesitation!

As Yoda said, "There is no try, just do!"

OldsCOOL 04-05-16 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kindaslow (Post 18666377)
You are a complete failure as a snob if your answer to when is anything but ASAP. No hesitation!

As Yoda said, "There is no try, just do!"

I am cleared of all and any allegations. :lol:

OldsCOOL 04-06-16 07:14 AM

The new Power series will hit the market this month. I'm guessing the Competition tire will retail near 75$US. This wont be cheap.

1989Pre 04-08-16 06:32 PM

I'd be interested in learning more about these tires: Compound, layering, flat protection (on the Power Comp) and tpi. My IRC Paperlite Plus (23's) are 155g, and I know that at one time, recently (don't know if they still do), IRC used rice bran (RBCC) in their compound for less rolling resistance.
Grab yourself a set of those Power Comps, Olds.

OldsCOOL 04-08-16 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by 1989Pre (Post 18676086)
I'd be interested in learning more about these tires: Compound, layering, flat protection (on the Power Comp) and tpi. My IRC Paperlite Plus (23's) are 155g, and I know that at one time, recently (don't know if they still do), IRC used rice bran (RBCC) in their compound for less rolling resistance.
Grab yourself a set of those Power Comps, Olds.

I'll get a peek at the prices in a few weeks from what they said. I have a feeling they will have equally sporty prices.