Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

You're 1st road bike....what was it?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-09-16, 06:53 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 52 Posts
First road bike was a JCPenney 10 speed, circa 1971. When it was stolen in the early 80s I replaced it with an early 70s Schwinn Varsity. When that got stolen I went without a road bike for ten years or so.
Old 04-09-16, 06:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 3027 Post(s)
Liked 939 Times in 711 Posts
Legnano full Campy, bought used in '62. Blue with chrome on fork and seat stays, 10 speed of course with half step gearing, 48-52 in front IIRC, Italia saddle. That was a sweet bike. I put a lot of miles on it.
Old 04-09-16, 08:17 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: 1980 Medici Pro Strada, 1984 Tommasini Prestige, 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 164 Posts
First 10-speed was a Sears/Puch/Austro Daimler, in 1971. First European road bike was a Bottecchia Special, miles ahead of the Sears, and what hooked me on getting good bikes. I dearly wish I had kept that one.

But, the bike that really made me into a serious cyclist, and would buy another if I could find one was my 1974 Raleigh International, full Campag save the brakes (installed SunTour Superbe in place of the Universal center-pulls.)

I hope the OP will return, we have thick skins here, and nothing I read was out of line.

Bill
Old 04-09-16, 10:01 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 258 Posts
Peugeot PX10 bought in 1974.

Old 04-09-16, 10:14 PM
Rudy40

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1976 bright yellow Schwinn LeTour from Pauli's Bicycles on Veterans Hwy in Metairie, LA. Paid $125 from the first pay check from my first real job after college. I rode it quite a bit as I had no car for much of the following few years in Grad school, etc. After leaving New Orleans in 1980, I rode it all over my now very rural area including training and completing three centuries put on by the Crescent City Cyclists. It was replaced in the late '90's by the Allez I still ride. The LeTour was in poor shape when Katrina put a large tree on the shed it was in and finished it off. I let the pickers take it. Kinda sad, really...
Old 04-09-16, 10:14 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I cannot remember my first road bike, given I have always like MTBs better. My first MTB was a 1984 Stumpjumper, bought in 1984. I borrowed this picture from Google, given it is pretty close to my old bike and I don't have any pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (92.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-09-16, 10:15 PM
Hill-Pumper

Bikes: 2016 Niner RLT Steel, 2015 GT Grade Carbon 105, 2014 NS Bikes Eccentric, 2013 Norco Sight Killer B-1

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first road bike was a department store brand called Tease. It was a hand me down from my dad who bought it from a Western Auto store ,if I remember correctly, in the early '70's. That beast was heavy, something like 30 pounds. It was burnt orange, had steel lugged frame with SunTour drivetrain. I road that thing everywhere in the late '70's like any kid in the country did if they wanted to go somewhere. Unfortunately I let the neighbor kid borrow it, never to be seen again.
Old 04-09-16, 11:28 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
First road bike for me was an early '70s Phillips. Road it for a year before an incident involving a car. Bent the frame resulting in its retirement.

Courtesy of @randyjawa it looked identical to this bike -->

https://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSpe...FrontRight.jpg
Old 04-10-16, 05:55 AM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by NVanHiker View Post
A basic tenet of being Canadian is holding an unshakeable belief that we're so much better educated than those down south. In this spirit, you might want to correct that rather glaring error in your title.
Better Educated ? Perhaps Arrogance ?

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post

[strike]Here, here[/strike] Hear, hear. Better than Canadain, I went to a parochial school, and my first road bike was a five-speed Schwinn Suburban circa 1970, quickly followed by a Mercier road bike with Reynolds 531 double-butted tubing and sew-up tires.

Got a 1971 Suburban, late in the summer of the same year. Rode it on campus and into life for several years, didn't think of it as a road bike. Mine was green, with stock chainring had been replaced with a 39.
Old 04-10-16, 06:04 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Depends on how you define road bike. My first 10-speed was a Huffy gas pipe special in 1971. Road bike? I began racing on it and wanting something better I purchased a Raleigh Super Coursa frame from a local shop and almost had it complete (parts from winnings, occasionally buying something) when the shop decided to sponsor me and swapped my incomplete bike for a Raleigh Competition. That was in 1972 and realistically my first road bike.
Old 04-10-16, 06:35 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike View Post
First road bike was a JCPenney 10 speed, circa 1971. When it was stolen in the early 80s I replaced it with an early 70s Schwinn Varsity. When that got stolen I went without a road bike for ten years or so.
My first road bicycle was also a 70's era 10-speed. An AMF Pursuit. It weighs about as much as two of my hybrid. It's still here, in the shed in the back, turning into rust under it's coating of dust, mud-dauber nests, and spiderwebs.

It has a boat anchor with attached pedals, otherwise known as one-piece cranks, and those much-maligned "suicide brake levers", which nonetheless worked just fine for me. Go figure. It used high tensile steel, so "gas pipe" is probably a really good description.

I keep idly thinking about cleaning it up and restoring it, but I really just prefer my current hybrid for just about any task.
Old 04-10-16, 07:20 AM
Shamrock

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
My first was a 67 or 68 green Ross with a brown leather seat.Bought it myself,cutting lawns,painting,paper route.Every day after riding I dragged it down the basement for safe keeping.My brother asked to borrow it.When I came home ,I asked where is the bike? Oh I left it on the side of the house.WHAT?? Gone!

We lived in a safe neighborhood,never locked the front door.But kids from other lower social economic areas would ride into town 2 on a bike.They would see an unattended bike and claim it.So I'm at the corner store and I see a kid on what I thought was my bike.I chased him on foot yelling and he took off on the bike.I reached my arm out and grabbed the saddle.After looking closely at the bike it wasn't mine.I told him what happened and apologized.He assured me his dad recently bought the bike for him.Never found the bike.

So 48 years later yesterday,my son in law and I picked up his new Scott CR1 carbon,ultegra.Nice bike good deal 1500.00.Scott made too many bikes and this shop was unloading some of them.We get home to his place he says (just leave the bike on the side of the house).I go off on him.What are you crazy!,anyone who sees that bike is going to steal it.Do you know what you have hear?Never leave this bike out of.....You guys get the idea.
Old 04-10-16, 08:07 AM
FullGas

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
'first' ten-speed was some low-end Australian (don't recall the brand name) bike that was loaned/given to me by a friend in college...was too small for me, shifted and braked horribly, but I rode it anyway.

after graduation, I wanted to buy a real RACING bike. unfortunately, the budget wasn't all that big and things like Ciocc, Olmo, Basso, Guerciotti, etc with Campy bits were entirely too expensive.

in the end, I purchased a new, early 70s Motobecane Grand Touring from a shop that had it on sale because it was a previous year's model. it was metallic gray and after ripping off the spoke reflectors, suicide brake levers, and kickstand, I was proud of how it looked.

but, the rando bars and slightly relaxed geo always reminded me that it wasn't what I really wanted. kept it 14 years before I finally sold it and got something 'racy'...

that bike was a Centurion Facet. 7000-series aluminum, 14-speed, Sun Tour Cyclone, taxi cab yellow with a black fork...rode the crap out of that bike until I got broad-sided by a Buick.
Old 04-10-16, 08:10 AM
SonsBikes
SonsBikes

Bikes: Pinarello Sestriere, Fuji Royale, Club Fuji, Team Fuji, Vitus 979, Bianchi Limited

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As a kid, I borrowed my mom's Nishiki Olympian Mixte 12-Speed when my Trek mtn bike was in the shop. In the early 90's, I bought a Schwinn Traveler. Then Cannonade R300, Then Pinarello Sestrierre, which I still ride.
Old 04-10-16, 08:20 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 832 Posts
Circa 1957 I got some parts from a bike shop and added more gears to my JC Higgins , Austrian Made, 3 speed

a Cyclo 3 gear cluster , a Williams cottered Steel triple crank 2 Huret Derailleurs , and 3 downtube shift levers .

for a 27 speed, 3 cubed .. 3 by 3 by 3.

1967, while I was in Navy Basic training (to avoid death by being conscripted to that fiasco in Viet Nam )

my father gave it away to the son of one of my mother's classmates from Nursing training in the 40's,

which he promptly let be stolen.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-10-16 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-10-16, 08:33 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I was barely a teenager when I got my like new, one-year-used, 1963 Schwinn Varsity. It was Coppertone in color, with downtube shifters, the Schwinn approved leather saddle, and a clamp-on attached plastic water bottle. It was the first bicycle I had ever seen with a water bottle. In my mind (and maybe even in reality) I was the fastest kid on a bike... in the tiny town where I lived.

A couple or 3 years ago I bought and restored an old Schwinn Continental. The ride and feel was exactly as I remembered the old Varsity to be. I guess we really can't go back. I resold the Continental almost immediately after the restoration. But the old Varsity did make me a road bike cyclists. Which in return... has kept me coming back to cycling. That Varsity altered the course of my life.
Old 04-10-16, 08:38 AM
1989Pre
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc View Post
First road bike for me was an early '70s Phillips. Road it for a year before an incident involving a car. Bent the frame resulting in its retirement.

Courtesy of @randyjawa it looked identical to this bike -->

https://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSpe...FrontRight.jpg
Wow! I was unaware that Phillips made nice-looking ten speeds. I saved that photo to my computer.
Old 04-10-16, 08:48 AM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Circa 1957 I got some parts from a bike shop and added more gears to my JC Higgins , Austrian Made, 3 speed

a Cyclo 3 gear cluster , a Williams cottered Steel triple crank 2 Huret Derailleurs , and 3 downtube shift levers .

for a 27 speed, 3 cubed .. 3 by 3 by 3.

1967, while I was in Navy Basic training (to avoid death by being conscripted to that fiasco in Viet Nam )

my father gave it away to the son of one of my mother's classmates from Nursing training in the 40's,

which he promptly let be stolen.

Would love to have seen a photo of that bike. 3 downtube shifters - that would have been interesting too.
Old 04-10-16, 08:57 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 22 Posts
My first was a Raleigh 3 speed "English" bike... (wish I still had that one), then in 1976, a Montgomery Ward Open Road 10 speed ( I can hear the groans...), and after college, my present road bike, a 1984 Cannondale!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Marchbike.jpg (110.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-10-16, 11:15 AM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 72 Posts
My first drop-bar mult-speed bike was a used, repainted low-end all-steel Raleigh. My first "real" road bike was a Jeunet 630: full 531db, TA cranks, Simplex plastic derailleurs, sewups, etc, purchased for the princely sum of $250. There was a Colnago Super, full Campy all pantografata in the same shop for $550 and I thought "You'd have to be NUTS to spend that much on a bike!" 'Course minimum wage was like $1.35 back then...

SP
OC, OR
Old 04-10-16, 04:01 PM
Needles

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My first real bike was a rescue. It was an Austrian (Puch?) made Sears Free Spirit a neighbor had thrown onto a truckload of trash he was hauling to the dump. I asked, and he gave it to me, even though he warned me that it was "furrin-made." It was a Ted Williams model. I was in high school. Before that, I had had a couple of hardware store bikes that I outgrew and gave to younger siblings. There were not many bike shops back then, none within 40 miles of me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aust...1UKgo--2I1M%3A
Old 04-10-16, 04:30 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 326 Posts
My first was a '67 or '68 white and black Raleigh Grand Prix. My wife bought it for me second hand. It was my only bike up into the '80's. By that time I had given it some questionable component replacements to keep it going.
Old 04-10-16, 04:34 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 326 Posts
Looking through this list of first road bikes I'm seeing some pretty marginal rides. On the other hand, every single poster is still riding. There are no bad bikes.
Old 04-10-16, 04:51 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 440 Times in 322 Posts
In 1962 I selected my own Christmas present -- a $55 bottom-of-the-line Bianchi Corsa, S/N 2F51703, with 26" steel rims, steel side pull Universal brakes, Huret Allvit derailleurs and downtube shifters, 21" lugged steel frame, Bianchi-labeled tensioned leather saddle (Ideale??), aluminum Ambrosio bars, 52-47/13-16-19-23-26 half-step 47" to 104" gearing, wing nuts. Mine was red with gold trim; my brother's, gold with red trim. The neighbor kids saw them over the fence and asked, "Are they Varsities or Continentals?" I rode it for 9 years, then fixed it up for my college sweetheart (now wife) when I bought the 1971 American Eagle [Nishiki] Semi-Pro [Competition]. Those are the only two new bicycles I have ever owned -- everything else has been "previously owned."
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-10-16, 05:05 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Looking through this list of first road bikes I'm seeing some pretty marginal rides. On the other hand, every single poster is still riding. There are no bad bikes.
Bad bikes are bikes, regardless of price, that do not get ridden. And, they could be good bikes for someone else!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.