Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Vittoria Cycling Shoes

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Vittoria Cycling Shoes

Old 04-13-16, 02:47 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Vittoria Cycling Shoes

https://www.amazon.com/Vittoria-Ikon-...ilpage_o04_s00

Does anyone here ride with these shoes and also is this the same company that makes cycling tires in Italy..?
Old 04-13-16, 03:45 PM
CACycling

Bikes: '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have a pair of Vittoria MSGs that are a few years old. They are quite roomy (actually put insoles in them to tighten the fit a bit - and I do not have narrow feet - not sure if all of their shoes fit that way). I've been pleased with them. No idea about relation to the tire company.
Old 04-13-16, 03:57 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 440 Times in 258 Posts
I don't see any shoes on the Vittoria tires site - I conclude not the same company.

Home - Vittoria.com
Old 04-13-16, 06:25 PM
AgeOfEmpires

Bikes: '03 Gary Fisher Marlin, '16 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode several thousand miles in a pair of their road shoes from the mid-90's. I am assuming it's the same company that made my shoes since the logo is identical. My shoes were made in Italy, as are the ones in your link. Also, the tire maker has a very similar "double-v" logo. Could it be they have the same corporate parent?

I've still got my shoes but they are Look-based and I switched to mountain SPD quite a while ago. I can't speak to the quality of their shoes today but I really liked mine.

I am pretty sure I remember Vittoria being the shoe sponsor for Marco Pantani for a number of years.

Edit - So you got my curiosity up. I spent just a bit of time searching around. Vittoria (tires) and Vittoria Shoes show completely different Italian addresses on their respective websites. Plus, on the Vittoria Shoes site, they show a history of the company. In that history, it states that Vittoria Shoes was born in 1976 when "
Celestino Vercelli begins the production of cycling footwear after a career as a professional rider."

Looking through the history, they did sponsor Marco Pantani (their picture shows him wearing shoes that look identical to the ones that I have). They also list themselves as sponsors of Stephen Roche, and a pic from 2009 that appears to be Thor Hushovd wearing their shoes.

I find all of this interesting, but I am guessing based on the account of the company origin on their webpage, they are not the same company as the tire manufacturer.

Last edited by AgeOfEmpires; 04-13-16 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-13-16, 06:31 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
They're too narrow for me.
Shoes and tires (and apparel and computers and more) made by different divisions of the same company. Do a search for Vittoria cycling.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-13-16, 06:56 PM
AgeOfEmpires

Bikes: '03 Gary Fisher Marlin, '16 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So more searching...

On an August 1, 2012 post on the bikeradar website where they are offering a news story about Vittoria Shoes moving into helmets, they state at the end:
-------
And what about tires?
Vittoria Shoes and Vittoria Tires are both Italian cycling brands, but they share nothing beyond the name.
“Two weeks after Vittoria Shoes was founded, Vittoria Tires started,” Musil said. “They started originally as a Dutch company. We agreed not to get into tires, and they won’t get into shoes.”
------

So according to this article, the two companies are not related at all (unless some acquisition has occurred since this article was posted)
Old 04-14-16, 07:11 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Well i hope i like them for what they just cost me. I really like the crank downs for securing to your foot..!
Old 11-15-18, 09:08 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 246 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread I know, but I just got a pair of the Ikons and they are the MOST comfortable shoes I have ever had on my feet. They also make them is a wide fit for people with wider feet. They are so good in fact, I am seriously considering buying another pair.
Old 11-16-18, 08:09 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
The brand goes back to the days when you rode a pair long enough for the back of the pedal platform to leave a mark on the bottom of the shoe, after which you nailed an piece of aluminum with a slot in it to match the mark on the sole of the shoe. No float but, no problem as you have nowadays with riding clipless with more of a midfoot position... still waiting for a 4-bolt Speedplay shoe that isn't $500 (could be a long wait)...
Old 11-17-18, 02:55 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 444 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC View Post
The brand goes back to the days when you rode a pair long enough for the back of the pedal platform to leave a mark on the bottom of the shoe, after which you nailed an piece of aluminum with a slot in it to match the mark on the sole of the shoe.
I still use a couple pair of Vittoria shoes with slotted cleats. These are more modern than the old nail-on cleats, but only slightly newer. One pair has a nice fleece lining for winter riding: