Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cholesterol Blood Test

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cholesterol Blood Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cholesterol Blood Test

How often do you get this? I am 69.5 years old, 207 lbs. and Dr. wants to put me on Crestor due to my inching up cholesterol number. Now total is 169 with HDL 32 and LDL 124. Told me to take 1 every 7 days and then 2 and then 3 till I could no longer handle the pain. I have done hours of reading here and that is not going to happen. I am presently with his consent trying to vary my diet and exercise and want to go every 6 weeks or so to have my cholesterol checked but Medicare only pays for this once per year. I want to do it more often to see if anything I'm doing is working without waiting 12 months.
Please advise and sorry for another statin/cholestrol from a baby boomer.
Old 04-22-16, 10:14 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I get it done once a year but lately my GP has been watching my cholesterol ( I was @ 207) and put me on statins (which dropped it to 127) so he asked for another blood test about a month after I'd started the statins just to make sure that they were working.

In case it matters I'm 66 and160 lbs.

Rick / OCRR
Old 04-22-16, 11:28 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I get a lipid panel done yearly as part of a free employee health assessment. Nothing worrisome of late. I used to get more-frequent total cholesterol tests when I donated blood (blood center stopped offering that test) and just that number by itself doesn't really give enough info. Was sometimes over 200. Never on meds for that.
Every 6 weeks sounds awfully frequent but understand why you don't want to wait. Are you having muscle pain with the statin?

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...ons/000386.htm
Old 04-22-16, 11:40 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5775 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
Going to the doctor to have the cholesterol checked can get expensive because prices are set based on what insurers will pay, and perversely those paying CASH on the spot can end up paying almost 3 times the going rate.

If this is a concern, there are home testing kits available at roughly $30.00 per kit (tests for both HDL and LDL). Also, testing can be cheaper at the walk-in sites maintained at various drug stores or mobile clinics. Of course that means that the doctor won't be reviewing the results, but you can understand the raw numbers and make a decision about whether they are acceptable, improving or warrant a revisit to the doctor.

Diet and exercise both play a role in improving cholesterol numbers, and I'm with you about giving this a shot before going on drugs. In any case cholesterol numbers are only part of the story and many experts are now placing greater emphasis on things like chronic inflammation. Everybody is different, so consider the doctor's advice in the context of other risk factors, and if he agrees that it's safe (for now) to try alternatives, I'd go ahead and give that a shot.

FWIW - Some years back my cholesterol had crept up a bit, and tested high 2 years straight. The doc wanted to put me on statins, but I didn't like the side effects. Increased cycling (minimum 100 miles/week) and regular doses of niacin brought the numbers back to where they'd been all my life, so that's where I am now.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-22-16, 11:56 AM
Billd76

Bikes: 07 Trek 1000 and 014 Giant Escape

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lots of research on Statins that doesn't shed a good light. I take a very small dose 20mg Pravastatin. My tells me to stop and that research shows they do more harm than good. Not going to get into that. I'm supposed to take one a day but take one every other day. And numbers total is below 200. HDL and LDL numbers are good too! I have no side effects.
Old 04-22-16, 12:06 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,981 Times in 567 Posts
Statins have been widely prescribed to people with even marginal cholesterol numbers. But my doc has always been of the opinion to avoid any drugs (statins included) unless demonstrably necessary. I've recently read some things about statins that make it clear they are not without their negative side effects.

My cholesterol has always been borderline high (~200). On top of that, my father died of a massive heart attack at 68 (then again, he was a 2 pack a day smoker with one lung).

I get oodles of exercise and eat a very low fat diet, so it's unlikely there are any gains possible there. So I'm a borderline candidate for statins. But before putting me on them, the doc suggested getting a Coronary Angiography CTA. They cost about $800 and are not covered by insurance. But that is the surest way to tell the state of your coronary arteries and decide whether statins are appropriate or not.

If you can afford it, maybe ask your doc about getting a CA CTA to evaluate your real risks.

Old 04-22-16, 12:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=JanMM;18710478]I get a lipid panel done yearly as part of a free employee health assessment. Nothing worrisome of late. I used to get more-frequent total cholesterol tests when I donated blood (blood center stopped offering that test) and just that number by itself doesn't really give enough info. Was sometimes over 200. Never on meds for that.
Every 6 weeks sounds awfully frequent but understand why you don't want to wait. Are you having muscle pain with the statin?

Not taking Crestor yet.

It just worries me that he wants me to go on Crestor and to start at once per 7 days for a week or two and then to up it till I reach a pain threshold and then back down till I can bear it. Then test again in 12 months.
Anyone going to Drug Store or Health Dept. for regular cholesterol test? How much does it cost? Any free screenings?
What dosage are anyone here taking?
Old 04-22-16, 01:41 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Considering the new reports on statins and cholesterol, and the fact that your numbers are not out of line, I'd tell the doc to go to ****.
Old 04-22-16, 01:55 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony N.
It just worries me that he wants me to go on Crestor and to start at once per 7 days for a week or two and then to up it till I reach a pain threshold and then back down till I can bear it. Then test again in 12 months.
Fire that quack immediately before he kills you. I'm not kidding.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 04-22-16 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 02:06 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
My total cholesterol has been around 180-190 for several years with a low HDL. My M.D. hasn't said a word about statins and there is also a strong history of heart disease in the family. It never hurts to get a second opinion.
Old 04-22-16, 02:13 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I posted a thread called "rethinking statins" and it was soon locked. Good luck with this one.

My numbers have been in the acceptable range until this spring it was getting in the 200 range and the doctor was all over me about getting on lipitor etc. I turned it down and said, watch what happens in September. I refuse to take them. Docs insist but when reading on the subject I have no qualms about resisting their attempts.
Old 04-22-16, 02:15 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
To the OP, No F'n Way should you at go on meds at 169! I've been hovering around 205-210 for years, and my 'good' cholesterol is skewing the figures to make my total look bad. Even at that, there are multiple studies that are showing that unless you have other issues relating to cholesterol, IGNORE IT!!! The side effects from many of the the drugs are just not worth it!!!

Of course, I must state that we're all different. and that YMMV... etc, etc, etc.
Old 04-22-16, 02:15 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Fire that quack immediately before he kills you. I'm not kidding.
+100!

The doctors are no longer making decisions on the individual's personal condition. They follow trends and studies.
Old 04-22-16, 03:50 PM
Poseur Extraordinaire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been taking Crestor for 5-6 years, the past 2-3 at the 10mg dose (I started at 5mg). Last two LDL readings were 66 and 77. Last two HDL readings were 62 and 67. Don't remember the trygliceride (sp?) number, but my doctor laughed when I asked about it and said "you must have the lowest in my practice". At 5mg, LDL was always a smidge above 100. Heart disease runs in my family, so I'm guessing that's what prompted doc to up the dose to 10mg.

I've always had a high HDL ("good" cholesterol) number, but my LDL ("bad" cholesterol) and trygliceride numbers were always too high as well. Worst ever was an LDL about 150 and total cholesterol about 280. I started with diet/exercise, but that wasn't enough, so doc added Crestor, and now everything seems good. No muscle pain or other side effects for me.

I'm not shilling for Crestor. A second opinion might be in order for you. But Crestor at 10mg, along with continued diet/exercise, is working for me.
Old 04-22-16, 05:25 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, I can only wish to have LDL and HDL levels like you guys are talking about. My first flight physical in the Army, age 18, was 285. I've been able to get my cholesterol down to about 200 with meds, diet and lots of exercise. Over the past six months recovering from surgery and a foot injury my weight went up 15 pounds, no exercise and even watching my diet - seriously watching it - my cholesterol jumped up to 360! Does not seem the statins are doing a bit of good.

There is a new cholesterol medication that is an injection and is said to lower cholesterol by 70%.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 04-22-16, 05:50 PM

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
There are alternative ways to lower cholesterol, and increasing aerobic exercise. eating healthy and drinking more water while adding apple cider vinegar to it (4 X's a day) will do wonders for you.
BTW, your numbers are not high, seek advice from another Dr!
Old 04-22-16, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by fthomas

There is a new cholesterol medication that is an injection and is said to lower cholesterol by 70%.
Lacquer thinner?? Wow.

I hope you find what works. A huge challenge you have.
Old 04-22-16, 07:53 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Lacquer thinner?? Wow.

I hope you find what works. A huge challenge you have.
Defying conventional wisdom, the science (?) of how cholesterol levels impact coronary arteries and what the doctor says - After different tests and procedures my arteries are still 80 - 85% open. No plaque build up. I also learned I have an extra blood vessel feeding the heart. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad? LOL!

I've been through the angiograms and had a Cardiologist succeed in stopping my heart. I never lost consciousness. The Dr. hit me twice with his fist - nothing. They pulled out the paddles and maxed it out. That worked, but I've got to tell you that hurts like hell! I looked over at the nurse and said: "Hey, can we avoid doing that again please!" She yelled at the Dr. that I was conscious and they hit me with some meds and knocked me out. The Cardiologist later came into my room and said "You were toast!" I told him I knew he was a scratch golfer and one of the important things in a golf swing is follow through. I recommended that if he had to attempt an external cardiac massage that he hit a hell of a lot harder and follow through!

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 04-22-16, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by fthomas
Defying conventional wisdom, the science (?) of how cholesterol levels impact coronary arteries and what the doctor says - After different tests and procedures my arteries are still 80 - 85% open. No plaque build up. I also learned I have an extra blood vessel feeding the heart. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad? LOL!

I've been through the angiograms and had a Cardiologist succeed in stopping my heart. I never lost consciousness. The Dr. hit me twice with his fist - nothing. They pulled out the paddles and maxed it out. That worked, but I've got to tell you that hurts like hell! I looked over at the nurse and said: "Hey, can we avoid doing that again please!" She yelled at the Dr. that I was conscious and they hit me with some meds and knocked me out. The Cardiologist later came into my room and said "You were toast!" I told him I knew he was a scratch golfer and one of the important things in a golf swing is follow through. I recommended that if he had to attempt an external cardiac massage that he hit a hell of a lot harder and follow through!
You have been to the edge.
Old 04-22-16, 08:27 PM

Bikes: '87 Giant Iguana, Nishiki designed Kamra Aero II, Schwinn Loop folder, 1985 Fuji Pallisade Mixte

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
To the OP--- Your numbers are fine, except HDL could be a little higher. (They want it above 50.) Eat an egg. You can also try taking niacin, if you can stand the flushing. There are "no flush" niacin pill out there, but they don't do anything to cholesterol levels. Plant sterols and stannols are another way to approach the problem. There's a product called "Cholest-Off" that will lower high cholesterol, but your numbers are not high. Guggul is another supplement you can take to lower your overall numbers. Have you tried fish oil or krill oil? (Get the gel caps--- both taste like dead fish if you don't. Mine went from 206 to 174 after I stopped eating beef. My HDL was 48-49 until I started niacin; now it's 52. BTW, no studies have ever shown controlling cholesterol will make you live any longer.
Old 04-22-16, 10:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all replies. I will be taking some of the advice and report back my numbers. NYMXer, how much aple cider vineger mixed in water? I'm already taking Krill and fish oil.
Old 04-22-16, 10:47 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I'm extremely skeptical of woo and bad science, and annoy my lovable but gullible friends on social media by ridiculing "advice" from Natural Health (Mike Adams is a troll), Food Babe, Collective Evolution and similar junk sites.

But I'm not going to take cholesterol meds. They haven't done my mom or her brother any good, and possibly caused more harm than good. Over the past few years science and medicine journals indicate the recommendations for widespread use of cholesterol meds were based on poor research and interpretations, possibly even corrupted by the influence of pharmaceutical manufacturers. Apparently nobody knows for certain whether there's any provable relationship between arterial plaque, diet and cholesterol. Yet too many doctors, including my mom's, are convinced the statins are essential and won't hear otherwise. I had to use all of my restrained powers of persuasion to convince my mom's doctor to switch from a statin with known memory loss side effects to one that has a better reputation. But whenever my mom's panels even remotely approach the "caution" zone, the doctor's office calls my mom with dire warnings.

And I'll be very cautious about blood pressure meds. Some, like metoprolol, may aggravate problems with memory loss. But I won't dispute the efficacy of BP meds on the most important problem -- blown gaskets. I'd just rather keep mine under control with exercise and a reasonable diet with moderate intake of good tasting stuff.

Funny thing: My mom's primary doctor leans toward "holistic" medicine and talks about weaning her own 80-something year old mother off most prescription meds, down to the absolute essentials. Yet she bristles at the suggestion that we do the same for my mom, by paring down her meds to the essentials. At 77, with serious memory loss problems, vascular dementia and onset of Parkinson's, I'm far more concerned about my mom's quality of whatever life she has remaining. The notion of prolonging her life with risky and potentially unnecessary statins seems ridiculous when she's a shell of her former vibrant self.
Old 04-23-16, 05:51 AM

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony N.
Thanks for all replies. I will be taking some of the advice and report back my numbers. NYMXer, how much apple cider vinegar mixed in water? I'm already taking Krill and fish oil.
At least a tablespoon, but two if you like the taste. For best results, a glass 1/2 hour before each meal and bed time. Google "benefits of ACV"
Old 04-23-16, 06:12 AM

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Statins have been widely prescribed to people with even marginal cholesterol numbers. But my doc has always been of the opinion to avoid any drugs (statins included) unless demonstrably necessary. I've recently read some things about statins that make it clear they are not without their negative side effects.
I like your doc better than OP's doc.

This is not my area of practice - I'm a baby catcher - but there is a lot of emerging evidence about "diagnostic creep" - the dangers of treating patients who have borderline or mild conditions. Of course, lifestyle changes, exercise, weight loss, healthy diet, etc., are always great for anyone. But throwing medications at marginal cases can expose patients to side effects with no real benefit.

Mind you I am not saying nobody needs cholesterol meds - but one problem with research evidence is that people who only barely qualify for the condition and/or have no additional risk factors may be lumped together with people who have additional risk factors and/or advanced disease. The really sick people get a huge benefit, which skews the results so that the benefits are over-stated and the risks are under-stated.

A better approach is individualized risk assessment. There is good data out there that takes all the relevant predictors into account, but no clinician can keep all that in their heads all the time.
Here's an online tool for individualized risk assessment that takes multiple factors into account.
ACC/AHA ASCVD Risk Calculator

Some patients/providers think it's a bad sign if your doctor pulls up a website for reference during a visit. That needs a re-think. It's a good sign of someone who knows their limitations.
Old 04-23-16, 08:17 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I have read everything I can get my hands on about statins and have stopped using them and pay no attention to my cholesterol numbers. I would certainly fire any doctor who suggested I titrate the meds until muscle pain is tolerable. That borders on insane -- the marginal potential benefits are clearly outweighed by the demonstrated negatives in such a case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.