Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Can't see my Computer/HRM

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-05, 10:16 AM
Old and in the way

Bikes: Pinarillo Paris - Ciocc - Viner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, I can't be the only one in this forum that needs eyeglasses to read. It's one of the unfortunate things we have to deal with when we get this age. It isn't much of a problem in general, except when I get on my bike. It seems that I can't see the readout on either my HRM or cycle computer without my reading glasses, and I can't wear my reading glasses on my bike.

Anyone else have this problem?

If so, what can we do about it?
Old 05-04-05, 12:42 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ebuzz
OK, I can't be the only one in this forum that needs eyeglasses to read. It's one of the unfortunate things we have to deal with when we get this age. It isn't much of a problem in general, except when I get on my bike. It seems that I can't see the readout on either my HRM or cycle computer without my reading glasses, and I can't wear my reading glasses on my bike.

I Wear bifocals, but only for reading. Do not have a problem to the extent that you have, and don't wear glasses on the rides. My problem comes about in that if I do have to read anything on the ride, like maps or directions on the organised rides, then where do I store my reading glasses. Not so bad on the Tandem as I use the stokers rear pockets to store them in, but always a problem on the Solo.
Old 05-04-05, 03:57 PM

Bikes: EzRacer Gold Rush, Trek 1800C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some time ago I found that my reading prescription was the same as a "drug store" pair of glasses with a +2 correction. I found a product called DiveOptx which is a stick-on +2 (others available) correction lens that I have been using on my SCUBA diving mask for years --- works great. This winter I also put a pair in a ski mask that I used while cycling on real cold days --- again, they worked great. I suspect you could use these on a pair of sunglasses too.

I got mine at:

https://shop.diversdirect.com/item/Di...0Lenses_ID7587. (I hope the URL makes it through…) Here is a TinyURL to the same location: https://tinyurl.com/ccarj
Old 05-04-05, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You can order glasses for cycling with corrective lenses attached. I think you take the glasses to your eye doctor and they give you a prescription for where the lens sits, or maybe you just use your regular prescription. I'll end up finding out for sure which it is in the next couple of years. Try www.performancebike.com
Old 05-04-05, 06:14 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I really like the stick-on concept for reading the dials. I have progressive lenses in my regular glasses and just distance prescription in my biking glasses. I, too, have difficulty reading speedo and hrm. I've got terrific Adidas Evil Eye riding glasses with prescription insert, but the insert is quite small - not really enough room for bifocals. The Rudy Project glasses w/ inserts look like the inserts are quite a bit bigger. I couldn't find a pair to try on before buying, though. I bought glasses on-line and had Pearl Vision do lens for insert. I wanted to buy glasses from them, or someone locally (central NJ) but difficult to find stores that know anything about prescription riding glasses(yeh, I was amazed too, Pearl and others carry sports googles, but not the wrap-around glasses for cycling). One place sold Oakley's, which has glasses that can be ground to your prescription, but it's the whole sunglass lens, and costs $400-500. The Adidas were about $225 with 'script. Bought from Jenson. Also, I need a LARGE frame, and the large Evil Eye fits me well.
Old 05-04-05, 06:38 PM

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a pair of Rudy's (Rydons) with the Rx insert, and I've been quite happy with them. Because I normally wear progressive lenses (bifocals for vain old guys), the lower part of the insert has the reading lens as with normal bifocals. This works well because you are normally looking ahead through the top of the lenses, and looking down at the computer requires a very obvious shift in focus.

I probably could have gotten by without the bifocals, but I was concerned about being to read cue sheets with fine print, etc.

I went through Sports Optical (sportsoptical.com). Not cheap, but very knowledgable.
Old 05-04-05, 07:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought extra slim $16 +2 reading glasses at a CVS and keep'em on low on my nose even under the sunglasses. It works great for me. I have to wipe the sweat out of them from time to time but I can SEE!!
Old 05-04-05, 08:06 PM
Ride it, don't fondle it!

Bikes: Raleigh M80, Bacchetta AERO, Bacchetta GIRO, BikeE, 83' TREK 970, Catrike Speed, IRO Fixie/SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ebuzz

IMO You may need to be wearing corrective lenses all the time if you can't read your cyclecomputer/HRM from the normal riding position. Are your reading glasses perscribed or drugstore? If drugstore, make an appointmnent and talk to an optomotrist or opthomoligist about it. I ride with progressive bifocal glasses. I can get cycling glasses with a perscription lens, but my current glasses are Transition type and adjust to the sin.
Old 05-04-05, 08:56 PM
Fortunatissimo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
I really like the stick-on concept for reading the dials.
I have a set of stick on reading lenses that I bought at Long's Drugs in northern CA. They cost about $18-20 or so for the pair. They are packaged so that you can actually "try them on" in the store and see if they work. Unfortunately, I no longer have the part of the packaging that tells the name of the product. They work fairly well. They won't fall off, but full adhesion is difficult to get. It's done with water and I have not been able to get all the air bubbles out. So there might be some blurry spots, but you don't notice them after a while.
Old 05-04-05, 10:50 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you just need bigger numbers? My latest 9-function Cateye's largest readout seems to to be about 1/2 again as large as my older Cateye.

Old 05-05-05, 07:05 AM
if x=byh then x+1=byn

Bikes: See signature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wagathon
Do you just need bigger numbers? My latest 9-function Cateye's largest readout seems to to be about 1/2 again as large as my older Cateye.

I've the same positive experience with my Sigma Sport BC-1600. It has a large enough readout that I can always see it clearly.
'03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
'05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
'05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--..-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force
Old 05-05-05, 09:18 AM
Old and in the way

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like this idea about the inserts. I imagine, however, that once they're in, they stay in.
My perscription is both drug store and Dr. prescribed prgressives. I carry a cheap CVS pair and sneak a peek every once in a while (can't bring myself to wear them under my Oakley's).
Any more info on these stick on inserts?
Old 05-05-05, 09:29 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Progressive lenses
Old 05-05-05, 05:47 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Monovision here (one eye for distance and one for reading)--works great for everything I do! Some folks have a more difficult time adjusting to it. Apparently my brain wasn't smart enough to know if wasn't normal.......
Old 05-06-05, 09:42 PM

Bikes: Lemond Zurick, BF Pocket Crusoe, Trek 2120, Iron Horse Maverick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used the flexible, plastic stick-on reading lenses with my cycling shades. They work well and can be cut to a smaller size if you want. I ordered my from https://www.neoptx.com/ for $20.

The only problem I had with wearing "bifocals" while cycling was on fast descents, down twisty mountain roads. The bifocal messed up my depth perception and sense of balance. I took out the stick-ons and now only use if I need to read a cue sheet while riding. However, I think under most circumstances the stick-ons are great for us over 50 guys whose eyesight is waning.
Old 05-07-05, 07:06 PM

Bikes: 06 Fuji Team RC, 03 K2 Team ZED

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last year I started wearing Bolle' Vigilante glasses with a snap in insert that is made to accept Rx lenses. They have interchangable colored lenses for different light conditions. I wore them when I skied this past winter. I also changed to a Specialized computer that has a BIG readout.
Old 05-07-05, 07:45 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Bifocals or Progressive lenses (a.k.a no-line bifocals)
Old 05-08-05, 06:11 PM
Old and in the way

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those inserts seem like the best idea I've heard so far. I think I'll give it a go.
Thanks!
Old 05-09-05, 07:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ebuzz I feel for ya bro. I have always had near perfect vision (however) I have needed reading glasses for about 5 or 6 years. I can't leave the house without em (but I often manage to forget them). My Flitedeck is still readable with em thank god.

People who say progressives etc, don't realize the pro0blem people who are farsighted have.

When you are farsighted you see great when things are more than 10 feet away, but the closer you get the worse your vision is. I barely need a prescription for distance, but I ordered the most expensive progressives I could find and so far it has not been great. The right eye seems off and the optometrist who did the exam has been away and is booked until next week to re-check. No point wearing em until I get re-checked. WOuld never consider using them or a tinted version on a bike because I can see fine without em as long as I don't have to read a map, etc.

For me this lousy eyesight up close has to be the worst part of being over 50.

Let me know how the stick-on's work ebuzz.
Old 05-09-05, 08:34 PM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I can't see anything up close anymore, but can still spot a fly on a wall across the street. But one thing I have noticed is that bright sunlight takes care of my problem to the point I can still read the paper, but once I go in a shadow or a cloudy day and the reading glasses go back on. Since I'm mostly a fair weather cyclist, the sun mostly does the trick for me except I can't see the little logos, but I need the glasses to check my final milage when I go back inside. I don't usually take glasses with me for riding, unless I know I'm going to the shop for something.
Old 05-10-05, 07:49 PM
Old and in the way

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn, I don't care what they say, gettin old sucks! I too had awesome vision not too long ago, could pick a fly off the fence post at 50 yards! Now, I can see things clearly as long as they're more than 10 feet away. Closer in is where the problems start. I also bought expensive progressives, stronger on the bottom - weaker on the top.
That doesn't help with my cycling glasses, however, they're just regular shades.
I think I'll go with those inserts.
Thanks for the info.