Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm not sure why, but I joined a cycling club today.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-29-16, 02:58 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6, and a few dust collectors

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 110 Posts

I did it....I joined GABA (Greater Arizona Bicycling Association) today.

I've been riding semi serious bikes off and on since the 70's bike boom when I bought my first LBS bike, and I've always ridden solo, but for some reason I decided maybe some riding buddies might be nice, so I joined the club.

We'll see how this works out, fortunately it was only 15 bucks a year, so it's no big loss if I decide it's not for me.
Old 04-29-16, 03:03 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 5530 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,600 Posts
Well you're lucky that you live in a city that has an operating bike club. My local club--the Des Moines bicycle club--has to be the worst bicycle club I have ever seen (or joined for that matter). There is practically nothing in the way of organized rides. They have no interest in reaching out to new members. All the other clubs I have belonged to have been very different. Hopefully your club is a good one. If it is, you are in luck.
Old 04-29-16, 03:08 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked 545 Times in 294 Posts
I'd join if we had one. All we have are PIE rides.
Old 04-29-16, 03:30 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 1,239 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
I'd join if we had one. All we have are PIE rides.
NTTAWWT. lol

I belong to a couple. One of them is Adobo Velo ... a huge group of organized, gregarious (and food loving) Filipinos.

Old 04-29-16, 04:13 PM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV, Trek X- CAL 29er HT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 43 Posts
I'm sure the cycling club will be a good time. I belong to two clubs. Although, I ride with one more than the other- fun group.
Old 04-29-16, 04:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked 2,505 Times in 1,624 Posts
I'm not much of a joiner but I've met some great folks through a monthly critical mass ride (which, alas, I'll miss tonight due to t-storms -- I don't mind the rain but my neck electrodes haven't healed yet). It's a very casual, non-competitive and friendly bunch. Suits me now.

There are also a couple of weekly and monthly rides sponsored by Mellow Johnny's. Nice enough folks but I don't see myself ever riding fast enough to keep up with their pace. Maybe 30 years ago, but not now. One of their weekly rides is a 20-30 miler on our local MUP's gravel trail. I can handle a leisurely 30 miles in a day, with breaks every 10 miles, but that's about all. That group has flown by me like I was ... well ... like I was going 12 mph and they were doing 20-25 mph.
Old 04-29-16, 04:25 PM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
NTTAWWT. lol

I belong to a couple. One of them is Adobo Velo ... a huge group of organized, gregarious (and food loving) Filipinos.
Adobo Velo - Cycling Filipinos! Interesting!
Biker395
since we are both in Southern Cali what city is this club out of? My wife would appreciate any opportunity I might find to learn Tagalog.

I'll be returning to Antipolo in a few months.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 04-29-16, 04:27 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I am glad that you found a cycle club to join. I did the same thing in Aug 2015 and met some great people and a few snobs.
Join in the fun but don't let yourself get caught up in the snobfest. We rides bikes, nothing snobbish about that, but some seem to think so, let them be on their way while you enjoy the fellowship and rides.
Old 04-29-16, 04:49 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 1,239 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by fthomas View Post
Adobo Velo - Cycling Filipinos! Interesting! since we are both in Southern Cali what city is this club out of? My wife would appreciate any opportunity I might find to learn Tagalog.

I'll be returning to Antipolo in a few months.
They are a HUGE club ... they have chapters all over the place. Check it out:

Carson
Duarte
Ventura
Orange County
Chino Hills
Eagle Rock
San Diego
Philippenes
Las Vegas
Palmdale

https://sites.google.com/site/adobovelo/Home

Old 04-29-16, 06:15 PM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks! I googled them and found their web site. They are large with chapters all over the place to include Manila.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 04-30-16, 05:26 PM
Cychologist
Getting older and slower!

Bikes: Trek Domane 6 series Project One, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Trek XO1, Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Like any club, to make it work you need to get involved in it.

I helped start a club in the town I used to live in, and one of the first things I did when I moved in 2011, was join the club in my new city. I have certainly enjoyed the rides led by others, but I have also led rides in both clubs. So I can't say there aren't any rides at my pace/distance.

If you want an active working club, get active and working.
Old 04-30-16, 06:33 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5338 Post(s)
Liked 4,905 Times in 2,575 Posts
I told some new people on the ride today that I have been a member of the club for 27 years. I've met some great people and had some really good times and the club has been a big part of my life.
I've also done some Adobo Velo rides and that club is known for their friendliness and I hope to ride with them again.
Old 05-01-16, 07:02 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 369 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat View Post
I did it....I joined GABA (Greater Arizona Bicycling Association) today.

I've been riding semi serious bikes off and on since the 70's bike boom when I bought my first LBS bike, and I've always ridden solo, but for some reason I decided maybe some riding buddies might be nice, so I joined the club.

We'll see how this works out, fortunately it was only 15 bucks a year, so it's no big loss if I decide it's not for me.

You or others may want to take a look at local meetup dot com groups. I'm in a number of them and they offer interesting, fun, rider-chosen & flexible rides. If there's a ride you'd like to do you can post and host the event yourself. (this basically amounts to "let's meetup at X location and go for a ride at about Y avg mph for about Z miles.." ... then 5, 10, 20 people show up, everyone says hi and you ride... often there's a beer or lunch in the schedule at some point..your choice)
Old 05-01-16, 07:53 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2991 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 554 Posts
I have been in the local bike club since 1983. Depending on the type of riding you do and what you expect, it can be rewarding. If you both ride and volunteer to help with rides it can be very interesting. Next weekend for instance I am helping run a sag stop on our clubs spring ride. I find it very interesting all the different bikes that people ride. You will see bikes all the way from big box stores clear up to some racing bikes that may cost $10,000.

I also ride with the recumbent club in Omaha that is a hugely friendly club, with most of the riders being my age.
Old 05-01-16, 08:51 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
I've belonged to several. Great way to meet different groups of people. I ended up leading weekly rides in a couple of clubs and found people to get together with for rides outside the club structure. MeetUp is a good place to find/look for other riders (hiking, camping, etc.). After riding with and leading groups from slow to the fastest, and numbers from 2 to thirty, I found that my favorite rides were with about 5 people of similar abilities and safety focus. My least favorite rides were "B" level rides with overly aggressive weekend warriors who didn't look out for other riders and had poor road safety habits. Hope you enjoy your experience!