Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hills, public works, degrees, and logic...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-16, 07:30 PM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Just like Sesame Street, which one of these does not belong!

They just put up a new sign that lists the steepest hill in my area at 10%. However, the hill on the other side of the valley, that is not as steep had a 12% sign for a couple of years and is a much easier hill. According to my Garmin, the steeper hill is about 14-15% and the other hill is mostly 10, with a little bit at 12.

Do they just guess? Turn their heads to the side, shut one eye a bit, lick their finger to check the wind and give it a guess?

Does not matter much, since I am stuck with both on my commute, but it just seems so strange.

Don't know if this is a rant or just some head scratching....
Old 05-04-16, 10:04 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You just can't trust those guys with a Theodolite any longer!

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 05-04-16, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by fthomas
You just can't trust those guys with a Theodolite any longer!
They have always looked shady to me!
Old 05-04-16, 10:56 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
They have always looked shady to me!
+1

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 05-05-16, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I wouldn't trust your Garmin (I wouldn't trust a Garmin at all, for anything, but that's just me). But it's not just Garmin. Anything I put on Strava also comes up with much much steeper inclines than reality. Like one hill shows 25% when I wouldn't rate it much more than 15%.

Signs also give averages for the climb from the start to finish.
Old 05-05-16, 06:31 AM

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not just take a level and a protractor and measure each hill a few times on the way up? (I don't know what the actual tool used to measure hill grade is.)

Also, most GPS devices are terrible at elevation. They use maps after the fact to correct their elevation, which are often wrong.
Old 05-05-16, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Why not just take a level and a protractor and measure each hill a few times on the way up? (I don't know what the actual tool used to measure hill grade is.)

Also, most GPS devices are terrible at elevation. They use maps after the fact to correct their elevation, which are often wrong.
Most Garmins use a barometer for elevation and it works quite well but it's a 'noisy' signal. Easy to smooth out for display during or after a ride but a problem if you're looking for instantaneous slope. If you smooth the elevation too much before calculating grade the grade displayed will be delayed and the rider will perceive it as being incorrect. It's very difficult to have an accurate real-time display of grade. I don't bother looking at it.
Old 05-05-16, 07:22 AM

Some old people do not know how to have a little fun....

And, my guess is that the Garmin is not likely to overestimate the hill on one side of the valley and underestimate the one on the other side (about 1.5 miles apart) repeatedly.

Now, how about those guys and their lasers, they would be much more trustworthy if the had protractors!
Old 05-05-16, 07:31 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I've got the cheapie Garmin. It gives me an "altitude gain" figure for every ride. It's accurate enough to use for bragging to my son but I wouldn't count on it for any thing else.
Old 05-05-16, 08:20 AM

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Most Garmins use a barometer for elevation and it works quite well but it's a 'noisy' signal. Easy to smooth out for display during or after a ride but a problem if you're looking for instantaneous slope. If you smooth the elevation too much before calculating grade the grade displayed will be delayed and the rider will perceive it as being incorrect. It's very difficult to have an accurate real-time display of grade. I don't bother looking at it.
I don't know if I'd say "most," but I come from the running world, and a lot of the watches don't have barometers over there. My watch, however, does. I find the elevation to be perfectly accurate over a loop to within a few feet. Barometers ARE affected by weather, so if the weather changes during your run/ride, the elevation will be a few feet off when you finish.
Old 05-05-16, 08:33 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
My Strava (iphone app, only) shows that our steep hills are 4% and two of the many many hills we have show 10%. Gross undercalculating. Maybe I need the premium version.
Old 05-05-16, 08:52 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Don't feel badly, I ride to a town NE from here and on an out and back its 17 miles going but coming back its only 15 at least according to the signs.
Old 05-05-16, 09:28 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
My understanding is that today's Garmins use both barometric pressure and GPS to estimate elevation and grade (the earlier ones used only GPS). And I think they are reasonably accurate. My VDO cyclometer uses only barometric pressure, and I'm really surprised it's as accurate as it is.

Old 05-05-16, 09:36 AM
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
Don't feel badly, I ride to a town NE from here and on an out and back its 17 miles going but coming back its only 15 at least according to the signs.
I've noticed that the wind affects my mileage, nearly as much as signs. One thing's for sure, they didn't use the same tape measure, in every state, county, and town. There are miles, and then there are "manly" miles, I guess.
Old 05-05-16, 02:56 PM

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I'm pretty sure all the hills around where I live suddenly get steeper as soon as I start climbing.
Old 05-05-16, 03:31 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
Just like Sesame Street, which one of these does not belong!

They just put up a new sign that lists the steepest hill in my area at 10%. However, the hill on the other side of the valley, that is not as steep had a 12% sign for a couple of years and is a much easier hill. According to my Garmin, the steeper hill is about 14-15% and the other hill is mostly 10, with a little bit at 12.

Do they just guess? Turn their heads to the side, shut one eye a bit, lick their finger to check the wind and give it a guess?

Does not matter much, since I am stuck with both on my commute, but it just seems so strange.

Don't know if this is a rant or just some head scratching....
I don't know about the signage, but what the engineers do is look at maps that have elevation lines on them - so calculating percent grade is much simpler and faster than calculating in degrees or something. So if the surveying is off, the slope calc will be off as well.

My Strava android app is remarkably consistent from ride to ride and I have hundreds of mountain rides that are literally identical. Sometimes it puts me in the ditch or something for one datum, but it always seems to work out.

Once in a while it puts me at the bottom of the river instead of the bridge I'm really on... that makes for a funky graph.
Old 05-05-16, 03:59 PM

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
This thread got me curious. I use Strava (Android on a Samsung Galaxy S6). After some research I discovered it has both GPS and barometric capability for elevation. I've compared results against topographical maps of my routes and it is very accurate though I don't know which capability is doing it. As for lateral location, that too is very accurate. There is one long hill here from the river up to Skyline High School. The first 150 ft has to equate to 30 ft of elevation. Damn near wipes me out. Any way, at the 150 ft mark there flat area to accommodate a side road intersect. Last time I went up it, I did a tight little circle to catch my breath, maybe 8-10 ft, before continuing up the rest of the way. That little loop is clearly visible on the post ride map. Certainly accurate enough for me.
Old 05-05-16, 04:00 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Does it really matter, if YOU can climb it, how steep could it be?

hahahhaha

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 05-05-16, 05:35 PM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Once in a while it puts me at the bottom of the river instead of the bridge I'm really on... that makes for a funky graph.
I love when my RWGPS tells me I climbed 2300 miles in 24 miles on the dead flat Allegheny River trail. Almost 100 ft per mile because of the 2 dang tunnels going through the mountains and the app recording me going over the mountains.
Old 05-05-16, 05:49 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldguyonoldbike
I'm pretty sure all the hills around where I live suddenly get steeper as soon as I start climbing.
... and it is uphill both ways for you, as well.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-05-16, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
I love when my RWGPS tells me I climbed 2300 miles in 24 miles on the dead flat Allegheny River trail. Almost 100 ft per mile because of the 2 dang tunnels going through the mountains and the app recording me going over the mountains.
Yep. I climbed a mountain recently that was at 1240-metres (approx, but close enough). RWGPS, Strava and whatnot all had the total climbing at some ridiculous amount such as 1800 metres. Trust me, there weren't 560 metres of other climbing involved in essentially was a straight-up ride.

Oh, and the other beauty to behold is the start-finish elevations when starting-finishing from exactly the same spot, which always seem to be between 20 and 80 metres out of whack. Did the earth move for me?!

I learnt in a surveying class that GPS is not as accurate as certain people would have everyone believe in calculating inclines.

It might make someone feel good to poke fun at road engineers and those with degrees, but revisions go on all the time. If you want accurate, do as I do, make up a measurer (one-metre length of aluminium angle bar, a small spirit level attached, and a tape measure), go out and measure the incline yourself.
Old 05-06-16, 06:00 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Co-Motion Supremo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just look at the quad map and divide the elevation difference by the horizontal distance to get the average grade. You will quickly see that the average depends on where you begin and end you measurements. The vertical curves often begin and end with a spiral which will effect the average if you include them.

Some of the MapMyRide type sites have topo lines so you can map the distance between the lowest and highest line on the hill and compute the grade between the contour lines, if you are so inclined. (Ha, engineer and Dad humor all in one)
Old 05-06-16, 09:30 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
If you want accurate, do as I do, make up a measurer (one-metre length of aluminium angle bar, a small spirit level attached, and a tape measure), go out and measure the incline yourself.
That is what I did. I was curious about two hills where I ride. I was guessing fir first hill was about a 12% grade and the second about an 18% grade. I went out with my measuring device and found the first hill to be 8% maximum and the second was 11%. The first hill is a healthy climb I look forward to and the second is serious.