Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The bike, versus biking, versus fitness....

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-07-16, 09:15 AM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

People always ask me why I bike, or why I have five bikes, or what I like best...

I really like bicycles, mostly mountain and SS. I love MTBing, and see road biking as nothing more than a way to get somewhere. I hate working out for the sake of fitness, but biking and hiking have the side benefit of fitness.

So, if it were only for the bikes, I might not do it. If it were only for the biking, and MTBing wasn't so good in my area, I probably wouldn't do it. If it were only for the fitness, I would not do it.

So, for you, how does it break out???
Old 05-07-16, 09:23 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Bicycling is the one sport I have truly loved, starting at age 12 when I could balance a bicycle for the first time. I have always had poor physical coordination, and I was always the last kid picked for team sports, but bicycling has combined my interest in the history of technology, my enjoyment of mechanical tinkering, my taste in aesthetics, my passion for energy efficiency and environmental sustainability, the joy of getting from Point A to Point B under my own power, great camaraderie on the road and -- more recently online, and Scots/Yankee thrift. I owe my current state of cardiovascular fitness to cycling, which I complement with fast walking and upper body and trunk strength workouts at the local YMCA.

Cycling has given me my one-and-only notable athletic achievement in life, a 12 hr 18 min double century. It now helps me maintain levels of fitness and health which give me the last laugh over the jocks from my high school days.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Last edited by John E; 05-07-16 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-07-16, 09:37 AM
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 933 Times in 486 Posts
Training, as such, has nothing to do with why I ride. I ride to enjoy the ambience of wherever I am.., be it the city-side or the country-side. I don't ever want to be so determined and singular in my focus that I am unable to stop and smell the roses.., or talk to a nice horsie or look at the clouds a little bit.
Old 05-07-16, 09:48 AM
Fred For Life

Bikes: Kona Big Rove AL, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm fairly new to biking (about 3 months), so you might want to factor that in.

I ride to get to work and back. This is because I don't like to drive and I don't like to be tied to the public transit schedule.

I've started to ride to run errands, such as hitting the Farmers Markets where there is very little parking. Again, because I don't like to drive, but I really don't like to compete with the SUV crowd for parking.

I've had a couple of rides of between twenty and thirty miles, simply because I felt like going somewhere. So I guess I just like to ride.
Old 05-07-16, 10:23 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3883 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
I've always loved sports that involved moving: running, cycling, skiing, hiking, and hated ball sports and that sort of thing. I started running a mile after school when I was 12, just for the pleasure of it. I went for 20 mile bike rides when I was pre-teen and early teens. I've also always enjoyed lifting weights, just for the pleasure of moving iron. I was never a jock, always last to get picked, but I just loved moving so much that I've kept it up all my life. My wife an I have done a 10 day backpack every year for the past 40. One gets good at what one likes to do.
Old 05-07-16, 11:19 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by dougmon
... I don't like to drive and I don't like to be tied to the public transit schedule.

I've started to ride to run errands, such as hitting the Farmers Markets where there is very little parking. Again, because I don't like to drive, but I really don't like to compete with the SUV crowd for parking.

I've had a couple of rides of between twenty and thirty miles, simply because I felt like going somewhere. So I guess I just like to ride.
I can certainly relate to avoiding driving and parking hassles. I would rather take a little extra time on the bike or on transit than behind the wheel, because it's quality time on the bike and can be productive time on commuter rail or the bus. Also, I save a lot of money by keeping my cars for a long time -- our current stable is a 2001 VW Passat wagon and a 1996 Audi A4 sedan.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-07-16, 11:35 AM

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like being out and about and having a horizon in the distance. I spent a career in front of computer terminals and windowless meeting rooms. Enough is enough.

Rattling along 20-25 miles every day is great. Stopping at my favorite cafe (La Madeleine) for a coffee and an almond croissant before turning back... ah... this is the life!
Old 05-07-16, 12:57 PM

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
My preference for cycling is similar to yours, mostly off road.
But I've been a regular at the gym for 3 decades. The bike is a fairly limited fitness routine, great for cardio and legs.

Gym for fitness, cycle for fun.
Old 05-07-16, 01:12 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Cycling, along with several other recreational activities, is a combination of equipment and physical strength and skill.

I enjoy both the physical exertion and the gear required to enjoy cycling. I spend a few hours each week procuring, restoring and maintaining bikes. It's enjoyable knowing what works and what doesn't.

I also enjoy, and need, saddle time. I don't think that needs much of an explanation.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-07-16 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-07-16, 01:16 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,404 Posts
Like the OP, I cycle because I enjoy it. From an early age the bicycle opened my range of travel and increased my personal freedom to travel and explore. I also enjoy travel and I find bicycling to be the right speed to really get a sense of place yet still fast enough to cover some ground.

So it's simple, I ride because I enjoy it and everything else is either a means to an end, or fringe benefit.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-07-16, 02:20 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I cycle primarily because I enjoy it, and because it has the side benefits of helping fitness. Ditto for hill walking.

If these activities didn't help fitness I'd still do them because of the enjoyment, but I've learned from experience that if a keep-fit activity isn't enjoyable then I won't stick with it, especially the gym. So it's lucky for me that I re-discovered cycling in my dotage.
Old 05-07-16, 02:25 PM

I worked out at the gym, like many here, from about 15-45 or so. But, I was usually doing it out of a sense of need, instead of want. Also, as I aged, the gym really was not helping me to keep the weight off. The biking helps keep the weight off, keeps my interest via playing with the bikes (modifying and tinkering), and I love MTBing. So, I stopped going to the gym completely. Maybe when I retire I will go back to the gym...
Old 05-07-16, 02:57 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
I like to bike, 'nuff said.
Old 05-08-16, 12:36 AM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I just enjoy bicycling. Sometimes it's just for short errands. Other days, transportation to meet friends. Mostly just for the sensation of low impact moving under my own power. The physical fitness is a bonus, not my main goal.

Other exercises and sports are more like work. Years ago I enjoyed racquetball, volleyball, baseball and boxing. But it wasn't relaxing. And I never liked jogging. Too much work.

Last week I rode 40 and 30 miles, without planning to. I just took off, intending to ride 5-10 miles, and kept going. A broken shifter has kept me off the bike for a few days and I'm getting antsy. Just got the replacement shifter Saturday and am looking forward to riding again Sunday if the t-storms aren't too bad.
Old 05-08-16, 07:07 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Probably like so many I just like cycling for the sake of cycling. The fitness that comes with it is a huge bonus. IMO cycling is so much better than running for two reasons. Cycling wont ruin your feet or knees. Then cycling allows you to range so much further an wider than running.
Old 05-08-16, 08:01 AM

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
I recently told a friend, who thought I just rode to exercise, that nobody would spend what I spent on my CF roadie last summer unless they really enjoyed riding bicycles (that's when he said I was nuts).

If all we did this for was exercise, we'd be better off riding an old 45lb Schwinn Varsity with sand bags strapped to the frame.....That would give you a work out.

I haven't been on the mtn bike in a couple of months, so when it warms up a bit more (and I've had enough coffee) that is my morning plan.
Old 05-08-16, 08:13 AM
Fred For Life

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
I recently told a friend, who thought I just rode to exercise, that nobody would spend what I spent on my CF roadie last summer unless they really enjoyed riding bicycles (that's when he said I was nuts).
I've gotten a similar reaction: "Why would you run errands on a bicycle when you could do it so much faster with a car?"

Why would I shut myself inside a car when I can be outside on a bicycle?
Old 05-08-16, 08:16 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I started road riding back in 1973 when in high school. The mystique of sewups, campy and 531/Columbus bit all of us kids hard. We raced and pacelined riiding the 5 miles to school. I loved my Motobecane Mirage but just couldnt take my eyes off the topshelf racing bikes.

There is no great questioning as to why I collect, love and ride the beauties I couldnt afford in those days. Speed is my gig.
Old 05-08-16, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I'm more of a commuting/errands type of cyclist. I can ride for hours, and frequently choose new and unique routes.

I have exercise equipment in the basement, but frankly I get bored with it quickly, so it tends to sit around unused a lot.

I don't know if my knees would hold up to jogging again. Maybe if I eased back into it.

Anyway, the cycling is a good, low-impact exercise that is easy to add into my routine, when exercising could easily be forgotten.
Old 05-08-16, 09:00 AM

How many of you are also very "into" the bikes themselves? That is, finding just the right bikes, components, etc... and playing with these options and parts. For me, that is a big part of it.
Old 05-08-16, 09:21 AM

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
In over 60 years of biking, no one has ever (let alone 'always') asked me "why I bike." Or why I have a certain number of bikes. Or what I like best. Possibly they're living their own lives and don't care.
Old 05-08-16, 10:02 AM
Fred For Life

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'm more of a commuting/errands type of cyclist. I can ride for hours, and frequently choose new and unique routes.
+1. And then +1 again. I have found myself riding longer than I planned simply because "something over that way looks interesting."

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Anyway, the cycling is a good, low-impact exercise that is easy to add into my routine, when exercising could easily be forgotten.
And again, +1.

The best things about biking for me is that it's exercise where you actually end up somewhere and you don't end up damaging your knees.
Old 05-08-16, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I ride because I enjoy it and for the side benefit of better health.
My bike is more of an entry level, so if it's considered a little heavy then that's a plus for a better workout.
I don't think about that part of it most of the time, but mostly for the fact that it's comfortable and maybe a little slower which gives me the chance to look around and enjoy nature, smelling the roses so to speak.
Old 05-08-16, 11:29 AM
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 933 Times in 486 Posts
The best things about biking for me is that it's exercise where you actually end up somewhere and you don't end up damaging your knees.[/QUOTE]

Really important point about the knees. I ripped something under my kneecap, running sprints, a couple years ago (at age 56), and it hasn't healed and I don't want surgery. Cycling doesn't bother it, and neither does fast walking, so I consider myself blessed, and am grateful for the warning.
Old 05-08-16, 01:23 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
How many of you are also very "into" the bikes themselves? That is, finding just the right bikes, components, etc... and playing with these options and parts. For me, that is a big part of it.

For me the riding and the working on/building bikes are part of the same enjoyment. Riding something I've planned/resourced and built myself makes the cycling even more enjoyable, and, while I enjoy looking at bikes in the shops I have no desire to buy one myself.

I volunteer at a community bike workshop and was recently offered a part-time job as a mechanic at my LBS. I was tempted but I turned it down because I thought that doing it for wages to someone else's deadlines would spoil some of the enjoyment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.