Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Age-related reasons that people stop cycling?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Age-related reasons that people stop cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-16, 10:22 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,430 Times in 2,537 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Arthritic knees stopped my running a few years back. A couple weeks ago, I had knee surgery that dealt with some pretty serious arthritis, among other things. Historically, I've enjoyed ultra-endurance (200+ mile) gravel racing. Once I recover from this surgery, I will probably cut that back somewhat. I thought 100-milers were for lightweights, but being that kind of lightweight may be exactly what I need to stay on the bike long term.

Arthritis will probably slow me down. But it will be a balance. Ultra-endurance rides (and the attendant training miles) make it worse. If I go back to 100-milers or shorter, I can probably ride for a long time.

I have a long term goal to set the hour speed record for 90+ year olds. I've got 34 years to train for it and I plan to be ready.
Dropping from 200+ to 100+ still leaves you in pretty impressive territory -- way ahead of me, that's for sure! Longest I've ever ridden in one go is 50mi, not counting annual ~70mi all-day rides with multiple beer stops along the way.

And that's cool to establish that goal for yourself, and give yourself plenty of time to work towards it! I hope you have planned milestones you want to achieve, and training specifics.
Old 06-04-16, 10:33 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by volosong
...Then, I got near the end of the MUP in the middle section when it was getting close to twilight. Uh oh! Did I really want to ride through those two cities, with the aggressive traffic and multiple potholes with an under-powered light? No, not really. I surrendered and made 'the call of shame'. I told my lady friend that I would continue on to a place where she could pick me up and take me home.

I was emotionally devastated! I can't remember when I had so utterly failed in achieving a goal, a goal which should have not been any problem. My mileage for the rest of that year had fallen off drastically. The next year, I only rode sporadically. And, I could feel and experience the loss of fitness over those months. I can't walk up five floors of steps anymore without being a little bit winded. That sucks! ...
Thanks for sharing. Again, even though you're falling off, you're way ahead of me, with double-your age birthday rides, for me it's a stretch to do single!

March is less than a year away, your retirement will be here before you know it, hopefully that will free up a lot of time to get out on the bike!
Old 06-04-16, 10:36 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
here in Huntington Beach the rider in his mid 70's with dementia died. He hit the curb, fell, broke ribs, head injury (with helmet) and died the same day at the hospital.

I went to his memorial.
Yikes, that's tragic! Do you know, was the crash caused by dementia, or just a crash that anybody might have (and an older body did not sustain it as a younger body might have)?
Old 06-04-16, 02:14 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Yikes, that's tragic! Do you know, was the crash caused by dementia, or just a crash that anybody might have (and an older body did not sustain it as a younger body might have)?
His riding buddies noticed recently that he could not hold the line and sway onto the traffic lane. Then going to Starbuck's he hit the curb and fell into the bushes.
Old 06-05-16, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I hope to cycle until I die (and I hope to live wayyy past 50!), but what are the (age-related) reasons that cause people to stop cycling? What kind of health issues commonly make biking impossible? …

Probably everybody in this forum is actively cycling (or expecting to return to cycling after short term medical issues), but what about others in your circles that stopped cycling at some point, what was their reason?
Originally Posted by canklecat
I've gotten to the point where I don't really care about age-related problems that might, or should, stop me from cycling. It would need to be completely disabling, not just discouraging.

That's different from my mid-20s, when I reached that age where I no longer had the reckless confidence of youth. I began to worry too much about traffic, or was so busy with two jobs and college and family that I couldn't justify the time it took to cycle commute or even ride for recreation.

Then, about 15 years ago, when I'd begun to consider riding again, a car wreck busted up my vertebrae so badly, from tailbone to skull, I figured I'd never ride again anyway
. For a few years I couldn't walk far without a cane, and still needed one occasionally just three or four years ago for long walks. So I sold my bike, tools, shoes, everything.

I suppose now that I've been riding again several months I've just substituted the reckless indifference of age. I can't think of a good reason not to keep riding. Best I've felt in years. Why stop, even with the occasional bad days?
The line of my cycling history followed a somewhat similar course @canklecat, though I did not consider myself reckless in my 20s, nor did I worry too much about traffic when I was so busy with work and family life; and then I too suffered a serious bike accident.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…I started an avid cycling lifestyle around 1970 at age 20, mostly touring, including a cross-country cycling honeymoon at 27, and last tour was at age 36, after first child. I kept on with various levels of cycle-commuting, and road cycling…

Unfortunately over the past few years work has cut significantly into my perennial, but unattained goal of 5000 miles per year…
I was in a cycling accident in 2012 and fractured my sacrum; in hospitals for about six weeks, off work for about three months, and off the bike for five. Up to that time, I never really felt “old,” and fortunately avoided the usual ravages of age. In my mind bicycling had a lot to do with that.

After the accident when I became temporarily infirm, and started to walk slowly, with canes, I did realize that the majority of my cycling life had passed. That summer was one of the best cycling summers in memory. I occasionally was transported by ambulance on one of my usual routes and was very wistful about riding again.

I was able to gradually work my way, and the next spring I went looking for a replacement road bike. I had no qualms about buying a high-end carbon fiber bike to enjoy the cycle-time remaining.

…For years, I rode a steel Bridgestone RB-1, costing about $650 down from about $800 as an end-of-year model when I bought it in the early 1980’s....After the introduction of carbon fiber bikes, I always wondered if the premium prices of CF, which I considered to be about $X kilodollars was worth the presumed enhanced riding experience.

The Bridgestone was totaled in 2012 in an accident from which I was not sure I would ride again. Well I did, and decided to get a CF. My trusted mechanic said here’s the bike you want, knowing my riding style. Well the MSRP was $4x kilodollars, but he got it for me at half off…

Personally, I can afford it, and it was an offer I could not refuse. Cycling is that important to me and I’m fortunate to be able to continue the lifestyle, so that puts it in perspective for me
So now riding my bike is more important to me than ever before. There’s an old Yiddish saying, “Too soon alt, too late schmart.” Fortunately I discovered cycling early enough in my life to have a good foundation. And in my 30s, I began to recognize its existential value.

Several years ago, I had lunch with a couple of MD's and the discussion turned to the vissicitudes of life, such as sudden death, and trivial symptoms that are a harbinger of a serious disease. The conclusion of our conversation was that old chestnut to live life every day to the fullest.

As we were leaving, the surgeon, a marathon runner said, "Well, any day with a run in it is a good day for me." I was already a serious cyclist for many years, but it suddenly clicked for me; any day with a ride in it is a good day for me.

Ever since then, I make a definite effort to ride my bike every day and I'm lucky to have a nice year-round cycle commute.….
Old 06-05-16, 05:35 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp 2006, Diamondback Ascent Ex 1989

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode my bike both mountain and road a lot up until my my granddaughter who was 2 at the time came to live with me and I pretty much stopped then. It's hard being a full-time mom of a young child and get much riding in. As the years went on I found myself actively grieving the loss of bike riding in my life and really believed I would never ride again because I was now too old. Then my granddaughter, now a teenager took an interest in bike riding so last year I dusted off my bike to go with her at her request. I found the more I did the better I felt physically. My depression and aches and pains evaporated and I found if I was tired in the morning if I went for a ride I had energy the rest of the day. Now I'm riding like I used to only because I'm retired I had the time to do long rides whenever I wanted which I never had the luxury of doing before because I had a work schedule. With that my dream of touring was also dusted off. I hope to God I never quit. I wonder sometimes how many of us stop doing things because we think we are too old rather than because we aren't able to anymore. I feel better today at 65 because I'm riding regularly then I have in many years.
Old 06-05-16, 06:57 PM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Sadly too many people I think use old age as an excuse to quit riding. IMO they would live a lot longer heather lives if they continued to ride.
Old 06-10-16, 01:06 AM

Bikes: Trek 5.2 Madone & Gary Fisher 29'er Cobia

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
I'm 71 and ride only road bikes. I hope the reason I stop riding is death.
I'm 63 been riding since 1980.between '07 and '08 I had 10000 miles riding my road and 29'er together.In the fall of '08 I found out I had prostate cancer.Had my surgery April of '09 to remove the prostrate.Later that year in October had a hernia fixed.Never got back to my 40 to 50 miles 3 or 4 times weekly.In 2012 had hip replacement surgery.Fast forward to this year I had a total knee replacement March 18th.In the last 6 years I have not ridden more than a 1000 miles total.I got back on my 29'ner a few weeks ago and have 7 rides in.The last 3 days I have 32 miles in.The first 4, I totaled 20 miles.I go back to work July 11th but still need to get my other knee replaced before the end of the year.I have met all my out of pocket and deductable.I want to get back to daily riding but know that I will not ride like I once did.Hope to retire in 2 or 3 years.I also have a grandson who is 4 and granddaughter who's 2.I want to be able to ride with them as long as I can be blessed with good health.You never know when all that can get taken away.It blindsided me when all this happened!
Old 06-10-16, 07:28 AM

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I have a long term goal to set the hour speed record for 90+ year olds. I've got 34 years to train for it and I plan to be ready.
Just to let you know, I plan on giving you some competition for the 90+ hour speed record. We'll see which is more of a drag, your arthritis or my scoliosis. Since my body is curving more and more to the left, I figure I just need to avoid a fancy schmancy asymmetric bike and I'll be okay.
Old 06-10-16, 09:08 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by cjp53
...surgery April of '09 to remove the prostrate....hernia fixed...hip replacement ...total knee replacement ...still need to get my other knee replaced before the end of the year....
Dude, you are a rock star! (and halfway to being a cyborg!) Good job for riding as much as you can given what your body's throwing at you! Fortunately it will be a while before your grandkids can outride you, so enjoy them while they grow up!
Old 06-10-16, 09:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude, you are a rock star! (and halfway to being a cyborg!) Good job for riding as much as you can given what your body's throwing at you! Fortunately it will be a while before your grandkids can outride you, so enjoy them while they grow up!
Thank you for the kind words,I'm just trying to get back to normal whatever that may be.Just glad to be around.Grandchildren are here now.When they go home,I'll get my ride in today.Modern medicine and surgery is incredible!
Old 06-10-16, 11:50 AM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm 62 and riding as much as ever, more than 9,000 miles/year over the past four years. About half of my mileage is from bike commuting, which will end when I retire. That might be biggest hit to my cycling because it might hard to motivate myself to ride nearly every day when I don't have to work.

However, I have changed the type of riding I do quite a bit as I've gotten older. In my younger days, most of my mileage was from recreational rides and occasional supported tours and charity rides. Now it's mainly from commuting, riding on greenways and touring. I participate in very few fast group rides anymore, for safety reasons and other factors. I have seen more cyclists injured from crashes on fast group and charity rides than any other reason, by far. Some of these injuries were very serious and resulted in the riders quitting cycling, either by choice or necessity. I honestly feel safer commuting to work in traffic than participating in many of the local group rides. On the weekends, rather than participating in fast group rides, I generally go for equally long (but slower paced) rides on our local greenway system, which is very extensive. I can easily ride for 50, 60 miles or longer without dealing with any car traffic or worrying about crashing in a pile-up.
Old 06-10-16, 11:57 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by tarwheel
...I participate in very few fast group rides anymore, for safety reasons and other factors. I have seen more cyclists injured from crashes on fast group and charity rides than any other reason, by far. Some of these injuries were very serious and resulted in the riders quitting cycling, either by choice or necessity. ...
I have a friend whose collarbone was absolutely obliterated by a crash in a (fast) charity ride, took him many surgeries and a couple years to 'fully' recover (more like as good as it's gonna get). He has been very nervous about all group cycling since then, and has mostly just switched to running instead.

Me, I've never had much interest in fast group rides. I rode in a paceline a couple times, didn't really like it. Those other guys were just way faster than me. Maybe it would be different if I could find a slower group, but meh, I prefer riding alone listening to podcasts, riding trails with my wife and/or kids, or I have a group of cycling friends that rides very casually, like avg 10-11mph.
Old 06-10-16, 01:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
\
Originally Posted by donheff
I'm 68 and hope to keep cycling into the twilight but s**t happens - accidents, disease... There is no predicting what could interfere with cycling. But I don't worry about that. If you keep a good attitude you will adapt to your changed circumstances. Be creative: switch to walking, get a hi-end motorized cart, the possibilities are endless.
My prostrate cancer hit me at 56 years old.You never know what around the corner,my PSA was 1.03 and 12 months later was only 1.3 but my doctor did not like that it was rising.He sent me to a urologist.Biopsy results showed cancer at a very early stage.You just never know.Now my problems after getting a hip replacement in '012 is getting both knees replaced.Right one done in March and left one this summer or early fall.I just got back from a 15 mile ride on my 29'ner today.Knee feel great but I know later tonight it will remoind me I'm still healing.But things could always be worse.lol.
Old 06-11-16, 09:51 AM

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Being 71 and riding 6,000 miles per year certainly interested in this thread.

That said would prefer positive stories about what we do as we age rather than the alternative.

Yes should probably start a new thread--guilty as charged, but just saying as an aside.
Old 06-11-16, 09:55 AM

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
My wife complains of balance issues. To address that we got her a tadpole trike. It works very well for her, yesterday evening we went to a 20mi ride.
Old 06-11-16, 03:33 PM

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi gang,

I'm not 50 yet myself, still in my 40s at this point, but with my dad recently retiring, and my grandfather being switched to a less independent living situation, I've been pondering issues to do with aging.

I hope to cycle until I die (and I hope to live wayyy past 50!), but what are the (age-related) reasons that cause people to stop cycling? What kind of health issues commonly make biking impossible? Is there a typical age that balance or strength are generally insufficient to safely bike? (although I imagine a trike could be geared arbitrarily low to deal with both of those issues) How about senility or even worse Alzheimer's (thankfully not historically a problem in my family)? Or other reasons I can't think of. Or how about eyesight or hearing?

Probably everybody in this forum is actively cycling (or expecting to return to cycling after short term medical issues), but what about others in your circles that stopped cycling at some point, what was their reason?
My dad is 75 and rides over 12,000 miles a year. So, from my standpoint, there is no real age limit until about 80. At 80, I imagine everything starts to catch up with you, but mostly from what I've read, balance becomes an issue. So, maybe a trike after 80, just to be on the safe side.

Last time I was in Florida, we ran into a cyclist on a trike who was 87. He was fit as a fiddle and pedaled that thing at close to 15 miles per hour. So, if you ask me, that's not a bad deal....for 87.
Old 06-11-16, 04:04 PM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Miami Biker
Being 71 and riding 6,000 miles per year certainly interested in this thread.

That said would prefer positive stories about what we do as we age rather than the alternative.

Yes should probably start a new thread--guilty as charged, but just saying as an aside.
You can certainly start another thread, but I think this thread has room for both positive & negative sides of the issue
Old 06-11-16, 04:26 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a friend whose collarbone was absolutely obliterated by a crash in a (fast) charity ride, took him many surgeries and a couple years to 'fully' recover (more like as good as it's gonna get). He has been very nervous about all group cycling since then, and has mostly just switched to running instead.

Me, I've never had much interest in fast group rides. I rode in a paceline a couple times, didn't really like it. Those other guys were just way faster than me. Maybe it would be different if I could find a slower group, but meh, I prefer riding alone listening to podcasts, riding trails with my wife and/or kids, or I have a group of cycling friends that rides very casually, like avg 10-11mph.
I'm not a group rider either. Although I like a fast paced ride, I do not like doing it with less than 6 inches of space between riders.
Old 06-11-16, 04:44 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
My neighbor hung up his bike for good when he couldn't keep up with the A group. Early sixties. Another neighbor in his late 70's has serious health issues yet rides around the neighborhood, albeit slowly, every day. So it depends on you as much as anything else. Ego gets in the way for a lot of people.
Old 06-11-16, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
I'm a younger rider of 50 and ride about 10000 miles a year and the route I ride alot is 9w its the route the NY granfondo does about 10000 ft of climbing on a 100 mile ride and there are many older riders in there 70s and even 80s who I see out riding every weekend some even ride quicker than me it puts a smile on my face when they pass me as to no maybe that can be me in 20 or 30 years from now some of them even do the whole ride to bear mountain which is a century ride so age is just a number if u are healthy for the most part seems u can ride well into your 80s and still be quite good at it
Old 06-11-16, 09:30 PM

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Originally Posted by baron von trail
My dad is 75 and rides over 12,000 miles a year. So, from my standpoint, there is no real age limit until about 80. At 80, I imagine everything starts to catch up with you, but mostly from what I've read, balance becomes an issue. So, maybe a trike after 80, just to be on the safe side.

Last time I was in Florida, we ran into a cyclist on a trike who was 87. He was fit as a fiddle and pedaled that thing at close to 15 miles per hour. So, if you ask me, that's not a bad deal....for 87.
Thanks RubeRad. This quote from the baron is so encouraging, thanks. Started at 63 and now 71 riding 6,000+ miles per year. Go with fast group where average age is close to 50 and average speed usually 19-20, with long stretches 23-25. Usually hang in and do some pulls.

Out of 50-60 riders, three of us are 71 or 72 and good friend is 68. Percentage wise we are in the minority of all our age and thankful for each good day.

I replaced a right knee and still weigh too much, but love riding and plan on doing so as long as able. 80 seems good unless you reach 80 and are still strong. I use a coach, just got a power meter and follow Friel's good advice about intervals and relaxed rides. Point is to enjoy and be thankful for what we can do.
Old 06-12-16, 08:00 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Miami Biker
Thanks RubeRad. This quote from the baron is so encouraging, thanks. Started at 63 and now 71 riding 6,000+ miles per year. Go with fast group where average age is close to 50 and average speed usually 19-20, with long stretches 23-25. Usually hang in and do some pulls.

Out of 50-60 riders, three of us are 71 or 72 and good friend is 68. Percentage wise we are in the minority of all our age and thankful for each good day.

I replaced a right knee and still weigh too much, but love riding and plan on doing so as long as able. 80 seems good unless you reach 80 and are still strong. I use a coach, just got a power meter and follow Friel's good advice about intervals and relaxed rides. Point is to enjoy and be thankful for what we can do.
He started cycling at about my age, 53. He did it because running was no longer doable on his knees. He was looking at a replacement, but managed to work through it on the bike by spinning for years to build up muscle. He still has knee issues now and then, but nothing that a couple Advils won't relieve.

My goal is to be at his level at his age. The only way to get there is to ride, and ride a lot. Another important thing seems to be general core conditioning. A few (20 or so) sit ups and push ups every day ought to do the trick. My dad uses exercise bands tied to a door knob. He says he pulls on those for about 15 minutes each morning.
Old 06-12-16, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by baron von trail
He started cycling at about my age, 53. He did it because running was no longer doable on his knees. He was looking at a replacement, but managed to work through it on the bike by spinning for years to build up muscle. He still has knee issues now and then, but nothing that a couple Advils won't relieve.

My goal is to be at his level at his age. The only way to get there is to ride, and ride a lot. Another important thing seems to be general core conditioning. A few (20 or so) sit ups and push ups every day ought to do the trick. My dad uses exercise bands tied to a door knob. He says he pulls on those for about 15 minutes each morning.
All good advice baron. There are plenty of articles on building core and good nutrition and hydration which are essential for long Summer rides. Was going to say in Miami but in SW Michigan now and it's as hot as Miami.
Old 06-12-16, 10:21 PM

Bikes: 1977 Ciocc and a 1970 Paramount, previous were an Olmo and a Gios

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guilty. So many plans to ride today, so many excuses not to. We think there's always tomorrow, but that's not necessarily so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.