Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ achievements and other good stuff....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-16, 08:07 AM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Sometimes it seems like this sub forum has strings of threads all about illness and limitations. And even worse, sometimes about nutsack smoking.....

How about a thread, maybe this one, that focuses on positives we are experiencing.

For me, my 30's and 40's were filled with raising my 5 kids and working way too much. In my late 40's I was able to get back into riding regularly. I am in the best shape I have been in since college, feeling great, and enjoying riding a ton. My health is great, overall. And, now that all the kids are on their own (more or less ), I can afford really cool bikes.

Life is great!

How about you?
Old 06-02-16, 08:20 AM

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Good idea for a thread.

I've been biking casually since... forever. In 2014, my wife and I joined the Houston Bicycle Club and ride with a group of similar age folks about 20 mi. every Sunday. Initially it was hard, as we were not at their fitness level, but it became easier with time.

With the oil price drop, I found myself with plenty of time in my hands, so I started riding every (nice) day 12-20 mi. I lost some weight, my overall fitness has improved and the cardio fitness is significantly (and measurably) better.

Plus,

I found a sport and an exercise that I really love to do every day.

We started looking into touring trips (we've only done one supported trip from Vienna to Budapest in 2009) one likely coming in 2017.

Life is great indeed.

Last edited by GerryinHouston; 06-02-16 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-02-16, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Kindaslow
Sometimes it seems like this sub forum has strings of threads all about illness and limitations. And even worse, sometimes about nutsack smoking.....

How about a thread, maybe this one, that focuses on positives we are experiencing

I am in the best shape I have been in since college, feeling great, and enjoying riding a ton. My health is great, overall. And, now that all the kids are on their own (more or less ), I can afford really cool bikes.

Life is great!

How about you?

Originally Posted by GerryinHouston
Good idea for a thread….

Life is great indeed.
Good idea for a thread indeed. My cycling is better than ever, and health is great. In fact I posted to this Fifty-Plus thread in December of last year, ”What have you accomplished after 50?”

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I started an avid cycling lifestyle around 1970 at age 20, mostly touring, including a cross-country cycling honeymoon at 27, and last tour was at age 36, after first child. I kept on with various levels of cycle-commuting, and road cycling. I’ve had a good job with same organization since age 32, and at age 50 entered into a newly-formed,well-paid partnership which has been sustained til now (65) with good prospects for the near future.

At about 56, I started a more rigorous annual training program based on mileage, for a couple of Centuries a year, with various amounts of adherence, mostly restrained by work and family activities.

At 58, I joined Bike Forums, and that has pretty much catalogued and defined my cycling activities:

…It was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.
  • Since joining Bike Forums, I have …
…As far as improving [my cycling experience], what I have gotten directly from BF [includes]…the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise.
Unfortunately over the past few years work has cut significantly into my perennial, but unattained goal of 5000 miles per year. This year though I had a significant re-thinking of my training goals and

…I decided to go for speed (intensity)…
This is a sea change for me, and suits me better at this stage than my emphasis on mileage in my earlier days.
This year I made even a bigger jump in cycling by enrolling in a three-month Activity Challenge at work, to end this Saturday, and I look forward to continuing my activities.
Old 06-02-16, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
My wife and I, almost empty nesters*, have 'date night' every Wednesday. Time we set aside to something together, movie, dinner, paddling, and of course riding. and maybe..... It's nice to set aside the time to just do something we enjoy, instead of the never ending list of 'have to'.

* our daughter for some reason had to live on her own, she is doing it with some success(and help). My son still lives with us, he's a good man, and just like me, is taking his time. That's ok. Yesterday he saw they the weeds in the dog kennel where getting high. So he got out the weed wacker, and cut them down. He didn't scoop first. Sometimes I worry.

I tried smoking a nutsack, hard to keep it lit.
Old 06-02-16, 09:40 AM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
So for National Bike Month (May) I hit 800 miles in a month for the first time. Along the way I hit the big 4-0 (as in I've lost 40 lb. since the first of the year). I'm just about skinny again.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 06-02-16, 09:50 AM
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10153 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Same here.

Since turning 50, I've had time to get into best shape since college (maintained pretty well over the years, though), start riding semi-seriously again, and fulfill a lifelong dream by becoming a good enough sailor to go long-distance ocean racing every summer. Haven't taken home any hardware, but some friends and I did rescue five guys from a sinking boat in snotty conditions 140 mi. off Nantucket last summer, and became heroes to a few people.

Most importantly, I am spending a lot of wonderful time with my wife, sailing, traveling, and even taking the occasional bike ride. I'd like a few more cool bikes too, but I live in a small house and own a big boat.
Old 06-02-16, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
Now that we’re pretty much empty-nesters (#2 son heads out to the coast for school this fall), I have more time for riding and even more important for quality time with my sweetie. Sure is nice getting back to just the two of us.
SP
OC, OR

Old 06-02-16, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
My wife and I, almost empty nesters*, have 'date night' every Wednesday. Time we set aside to something together, movie, dinner, paddling, and of course riding. and maybe..... It's nice to set aside the time to just do something we enjoy, instead of the never ending list of 'have to'...
Lest I seem a "work/cycloholic," my wife and I too have a Saturday night date night when we go restaurant dining, and social ballroom dancing. In courtship days and early marriage we rode together, including self-supported tours. and we took ballroom dance lessons. Tours together and lessons ended around 1988 with children, but we continued dancing.

It helps when I'm so busy at work, that I frequently stay overnight.
Old 06-02-16, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
Oh, and I was able to complete two Super Randonneur series, a 100k brevet and a 1200k grand randonnee back in ’07 and ’08. Haven’t been able to get back up to that level since, but PBP is still calling me, so…Just have to quit working so I have time for the stuff that matters.
SP
OC, OR

Old 06-02-16, 12:15 PM
Billd76

Bikes: 07 Trek 1000 and 014 Giant Escape

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have been blessed with a great life:
Things I've accomplished:
I woke up this morning!!! Life is good!!!
Raised 2 sons and a daughter
Been married for going on 28 yeas to my best friend and I have never nor will I ever cheat on her!
Completed USMC boot camp at Parris Island nearly 40 years ago and I can sill pass the Marne Corps Fitness test.
Have ran three marathons, a triathlon, Dozens of half marathons, 10 milers, 10ks and 5ks. My wife and I run together, ride bikes together. Heck we do everything together.
Kayaked 100s of nautical miles.
I have been at the same place of employment for over 30 years.
I started working as a DOD test driver, test driving every military vehicle known, including the M1 tank. went back to school, night school, and then began working as a test officer, eventually becoming the Dive Officer for conducting underwater shock test (blowing stuff up underwater). Also did corrosion research for the Navy. The job I do involves testing equipment, Land Air and Sea to ensure that those in uniform get the best they can to fight and survive with. It's a great felling and a great job. Although sometimes dangerous. I like pushing the edge of the envelop...
Certified master SCUBA Diver instructor
Army Corps o Engineers Working Diver
Deep technical SCUBA Diver
Hope to do my first century ride this year.

Blessed beyond reproach!!!

Last edited by billd76; 06-02-16 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-02-16, 12:23 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
10 years as a ski patroller from age 53 - 63.
A few summers as a Wilderness Ranger @ USFS.
Retired.

No divorces or auto accidents after 50.

Edit: collected fun bikes to make me smile.

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-02-16 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-02-16, 12:34 PM

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Spent a decade and more incapable of riding, due to old injuries. But the past couple of years has been fairly sweet, along those lines. Am riding most weeks, much of the year, and getting more capable of greater distances all the time. Am enjoying cycling for the first time this century, actually. Not a bad change, all things considered.

Still tweaking and fiddling with the setup, to get things right. But it's coming along nicely.
Old 06-02-16, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,519 Times in 7,324 Posts
401(k) catch-up contributions.

And I am doing more self-contained touring than ever. As I have gotten older (51 now), I find I like getting away from the same old thing more and more. heading to Montana in 12 days for 11 days on the road.
Old 06-02-16, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi 50's! A few years ago I started to get serious about my health and became an avid runner and sometime gym rat and biker. The program worked, in 2 years I dropped 80 lbs and was really in the best shape of my adult life. My goal was to run a half marathon and I did that May 2015. Soon after I suffered a medical issue that really sidelined my
running, I became depressed and put on about 20 lbs. In the past few months I dusted off my bike, an older model Specialized Crosstrail, and started riding again about 20-30 miles a week. The goal is to start commuting to work, 13 miles one way a couple of days a week. Biking is really helping me get my groove back and I look forward to benefiting from all of your experiences.
Old 06-02-16, 07:27 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
.....And even worse, sometimes about nutsack smoking.....
Is that a legal substance?
Old 06-02-16, 08:28 PM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Is that a legal substance?
I have been a mod for years on a motorcycle forum, and with that power on occasion I would edit someone's post to mess with them. Everyone knew I was guilty, and 99% thought it was funny.

I do not remember writing nutsack smoking, and I think someone is getting back at me.

That is my story, and I might even stick with it, for a while, maybe.

i do like the posts people have added. Great to see old farts kicking some ass. Or even believing they are
Old 06-02-16, 10:24 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
A friend and I are gonna do the HooDoo 500 this year ... and in the 60+ 2X men's category. I think we actually have a chance to win our division.

Heck ... now that I think about it, the same guy and I were on a 4X men's 50+ team in the Race Across the West and we won our division. We'd have done even better if we didn't have a boat anchor along.

Does that count?

Old 06-02-16, 10:51 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,060 Times in 1,079 Posts
Last year, my 55th, was a good year. I set a PR at the National 24 Hour Challenge with 400 miles, and improved on my 2011 PBP time while also getting more sleep. This year my training is a bit off, but I've had some adventures: Riding down the Florida Keys and back, going for a couple short bike camping trips, being literally blown off the road by a crosswind. Fun times!
Old 06-03-16, 07:32 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
A friend and I are gonna do the HooDoo 500 this year ... and in the 60+ 2X men's category. I think we actually have a chance to win our division.
Don't know if you've heard Vic, but Peg Miller ("a bullet would be nice") is going for a record in the 508 for women's 60+. Terry Boykins and I are on her crew so that should be fun!

Regarding my personal 50+ accomplishments, I started riding double centuries again in 2003 with encouragement from my new (at that time) wife, who is a long-time double century rider. Since then I've ridden 75 California double centuries.

I rode eight last year but decided to take 2016 off from riding doubles. May get back into it next year.

Rick / OCR
Old 06-03-16, 07:55 AM

Bikes: 2018 Salsa Marakesh / 2006 HooKooEKoo / 2005 CoMotion Nor'wester / 1987 Trek 520 and 560EX (1 ea.)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I am 54 and have never done a century ride. In 9 days I plan on doing Tour Of the Mississippi River Valley, 106 miles on Saturday and 90 on Sunday. I am hoping to not die on this ride.

Quad Cities Bicycle Club

I am doing a 70 mile training ride tomorrow, with a shorter easier recovery ride on Sunday on my vintage bike. Gotta say, I am a bit nervous.....
Old 06-03-16, 08:10 AM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
...I live in a small house and own a big boat.
Folks! This is one man who definitely has his priorities in order. However, we'll have to work on the n+1 thing.
Old 06-03-16, 08:48 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I will be 70 in two weeks. According to Strava I am at 14/112 on a .8 mi. flat near my town green. My 24.1 mph is not close to #1 at 31.6 but it's an accomplishment for me at this point in life. Also, I am riding with a lot of great people who ride well and safely together. And, I am way more healthy than I would be if I weren't riding. All solid accomplishments in my book.
Old 06-03-16, 09:14 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Don't know if you've heard Vic, but Peg Miller ("a bullet would be nice") is going for a record in the 508 for women's 60+. Terry Boykins and I are on her crew so that should be fun!

Regarding my personal 50+ accomplishments, I started riding double centuries again in 2003 with encouragement from my new (at that time) wife, who is a long-time double century rider. Since then I've ridden 75 California double centuries.

I rode eight last year but decided to take 2016 off from riding doubles. May get back into it next year.

Rick / OCR
Great! I'll be there to cheer her on!

Old 06-03-16, 08:13 PM

Bikes: 75 Raleigh Gran Sport, 88 Bridgestone RB3, 72 Raleigh Super Course, 75 Jeunet 620, 95 Fuji Team

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
At 46, I was 240 lbs at 5'5". I lost 75 lbs and kept it off with diet, running, weights, and biking. I ran a 15K and a half marathon at 50. I'm pushing 57 now, still run about 15 miles a week, and I'll be doing my first century ride next Saturday. Going for a 60 mile training ride tomorrow morning. I'm so happy and grateful that I can still do these things.
Old 06-04-16, 05:23 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I have been a mod for years on a motorcycle forum, and with that power on occasion I would edit someone's post to mess with them. Everyone knew I was guilty, and 99% thought it was funny.

I do not remember writing nutsack smoking, and I think someone is getting back at me.

That is my story, and I might even stick with it, for a while, maybe.

i do like the posts people have added. Great to see old farts kicking some ass. Or even believing they are
When I first read that OP it was too much temptation and I succomed to base instincts.

Anyways, next week my wife and I celebrate a 38yr anniversary. After her standing by my side as a pastor's wife in several churches and places for 30 of those years I can say I am blessed. We empty nested about 5yrs ago though son and daughter are nearby. We have two grands from my son. The last 6 years I have worked as a compliance officer in juvenile probate specifically with teen addicts. Until I retire, all I want is to live a peaceful and healthy life.

There have been several accomplishments in riding, I tend toward vigorous, shorter rides (15-30mi) breaking PR's on Strava. Deer hunting and marksmanship are stimulating endeavors in the fall months that take from my ride time.

Last edited by OldsCOOL; 06-04-16 at 05:27 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.