Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Victory! Or, I DROPED THE HAMER II!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Victory! Or, I DROPED THE HAMER II!

Old 07-04-16, 08:56 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6839 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever View Post
You know, I think a lot of people on BF are either absent a sense of humor, or have poor reading comprehension. I OBVIOUSLY wrote that post to be funny--as you and a bunch of the early responses understood--and to conjure the ghost of RyanF by using some of his phrases that are now BF memes. I don't really understand the people that pile in being obnoxious and critical and serious. (I feel bad for them, actually.) I thought I made it pretty clear that the only reason a middle-aged man like me could dust a 25 year-old was because he was on a fixie, yet people chimed in saying "yeah, but he was on a fixie!" I mean, duh? This is the 50+ FORUM! We're all older, and many of us have chronic illnesses, so little victories count! (And the actual little Victory contained in the story was my heart rate at speed, not beating a kid spinning out. I guess some people don't or can't read the posts before commenting.)

In my case, the kid was actually trying to keep me from passing him, and I led him for 2 miles, give or take, and at our age, that does indeed feel good.

This place is full to overflowing with bad-tempered curmudgeons, I tell you.
It's not that you passed the guy. Seriously, good for you.

It's the insults - using the term hipster as a pejorative and making the other rider look foolish and stupid. You called him a fool outright in your post. It has nothing to do with being a curmudgeon or lacking sense of humor. Some people don't find insults and jokes at other people's expense to be funny, that's all.

I'm glad you got your victory but the story would have been better without the insults.

-Tim-
Old 07-04-16, 10:00 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow View Post
I do agree that within us old folks there is a higher rate of folks struggling with humor, but only slightly. But, there are also some of the most grounded and mature (not just age) folks. Life is funny, if you can see it.
Usually the over-50 forum has a better and more supportive group of posters than, say, road or mechanics, so I'm a little surprised that the tone of some of the responses. Hmm. If we can't share our little victories here, With full awareness and acknowledgement of how silly they are, where can we share them? We're older, we most of us won't be setting the world on fire with our MIGHTY GUADS, after all.
Old 07-04-16, 10:09 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Usually the over-50 forum has a better and more supportive group of posters than, say, road or mechanics, so I'm a little surprised that the tone of some of the responses. Hmm. If we can't share our little victories here, With full awareness and acknowledgement of how silly they are, where can we share them? We're older, we most of us won't be setting the world on fire with our MIGHTY GUADS, after all.
I rode the Whistler bike park today. I had a guide about the age of one of my kids. It was difficult for him to understand that it was a small victory for me just to be on the mountain. Then, I asked him if he seen a single person who he would guess was over 50 today, and the answer was no. So, small victory for me. Over the past few days, though I have seen maybe 1 in 100 who looked 50+.

By the way, the repeated quoting of "fool" keeps making me think of Mr. T.
Old 07-05-16, 02:34 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
God save us from the humourless . . .seems that The Great Dividing Line is not class, or political religious allegiance.

It's humour. This posting is a *******. Done the same myself, forestalled a young fella up a hill, nearly bust a gut doing it. And turned left at the next opportunity!

He knew what I was up to. It was fun.
Old 07-05-16, 03:55 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 635 Posts
I reckon I was dog in a past life. See a bike, gotta chase....
Old 07-05-16, 08:01 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 665 Posts
I do agree that within us old folks there is a higher rate of folks struggling with humor, but only slightly. But, there are also some of the most grounded and mature (not just age) folks. Life is funny, if you can see it.
Then again there are folks who think that posting about themselves acting or thinking like a stereotype fool is humorous if they are over 50 and a bicycle is involved.
Old 07-05-16, 08:28 AM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Then again there are folks who think that posting about themselves acting or thinking like a stereotype fool is humorous if they are over 50 and a bicycle is involved.
50 might not have anything to do with this....
Old 07-05-16, 08:57 AM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
(So, last summer I posted about some dude I dusted after he passed me and slowed down as my first "HAMER DROPE." Anyone recall?)

Victory! I vanquished a kid probably 30 years younger than me! (Never mind the fact that he was wearing street clothes and he spun out on his silly fixie)
Everything aside...fixie, gears, age and whatever, the kid threw down the gauntlet and all you did was pick it up and b@%ch slap him with it. I would have done the same.
Old 07-05-16, 08:59 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1396 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura View Post
Now I feel bad. The OP did craft a wonderful little anecdote and we all can't wait for Drope III.
Yeah, me too.
Old 07-05-16, 10:17 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 665 Posts
50 might not have anything to do with this....
True, YouTube provides evidence that Jackasses of all ages post all sorts of goofy and ignorant stuff about themselves that the posters think is clever and/or humorous.
Old 07-05-16, 10:42 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 1,681 Times in 548 Posts
What I do occasionally is deliberately not pass 'em. I had a late teen/early 20s kid pass me on a stumpjumper of all things. So I ramped it up. Got on his six and within 10-15 feet of him. He would look back and see me still there and pedal harder.

Sad to say I was having to push to stay there. We were doing maybe 17-18mph. I could've passed him though. Barely. I was on a hybrid. But I stayed close behind "pushing" him.

After a couple of miles we both got stuck at a light. We were both blowing like a couple of worn out pumps. We grinned and laughed at each other.
Old 07-05-16, 10:49 AM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
@Kindaslow

I rode the Whistler bike park today. I had a guide about the age of one of my kids. It was difficult for him to understand that it was a small victory for me just to be on the mountain. Then, I asked him if he seen a single person who he would guess was over 50 today, and the answer was no. So, small victory for me. Over the past few days, though I have seen maybe 1 in 100 who looked 50+.

By the way, the repeated quoting of "fool" keeps making me think of Mr. T.
This is what you get for you putting the "A Team" theme song in my head before noon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mr-t-and-me-11.jpg (95.8 KB, 12 views)