Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Help me decide my next wheelset!!! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1071315-help-me-decide-my-next-wheelset.html)

Fldaves 07-06-16 12:11 PM

Help me decide my next wheelset!!!

It's come down to a choice between Mavic Ksyrium Elite and American Classic Hurricane wheel sets. I'm leaning towards the AC Hurricanes but I'm still open to other choices as well. I'm 242lbs and still losing weight. I ride mostly on paved trails but occasionally on beat up roads as well. Thanks in advance for any info in helping me make a decision.

Biker395 07-06-16 12:24 PM

I have a set of Ksyrium Elites ... much older model, though. Here are my thoughts, FWIW

The plusses:

1. They're reasonably light
2. They're reasonably durable.
3. Frankly, they look great.

Minuses:

1. They have heavily bladed spokes. Squirrely at high speeds with even a hint of a crosswind. And of course, if there are significant cross winds, bladed spokes are no bueno.
2. The rear hub needs frequent servicing.
3. Mine have a proprietary spoke nipple design that requires a special wrench. Lezyne makes a multi-tool that works for that, though.

Carbonfiberboy 07-06-16 12:31 PM

Hey, easy peasy. Don't buy a wheelset, build your own custom or have one built. Best thing I've found so far for our tandem, 286 lb. team weight, is 36H Chris King Classic hubs, Kinlin XC279 rims, and CX-Ray spokes. Much less expensive double-butted 15-14 round spokes would be just fine, too. The main things for durability are deep rims and 36 spokes. Easy maintenance and repair are good reasons for going with a traditional type wheelset rather then boutique.

Bikehubstore has these rims for >$50. You might call or email them about less expensive hub options.

AC hubs don't get good reviews. The Ksyriums are of proprietary parts and way light on the spoke count.

Biker395 07-06-16 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy (Post 18893301)
Hey, easy peasy. Don't buy a wheelset, build your own custom or have one built. Best thing I've found so far for our tandem, 286 lb. team weight, is 36H Chris King Classic hubs, Kinlin XC279 rims, and CX-Ray spokes. Much less expensive double-butted 15-14 round spokes would be just fine, too. The main things for durability are deep rims and 36 spokes. Easy maintenance and repair are good reasons for going with a traditional type wheelset rather then boutique.

Bikehubstore has these rims for >$50. You might call or email them about less expensive hub options.

AC hubs don't get good reviews. The Ksyriums are of proprietary parts and way light on the spoke count.

I have to say, I think my next wheel set will be custom built. Even for very high quality components, the cost is very competitive, and you can get them built for your special application at a weight that works for you.

RonH 07-06-16 01:59 PM

How much do you want to spend?

I wanted 24 spokes front, 28 spokes rear and couldn't find anything I liked online so I just got a set of custom wheels from PSIMet.com (Robert (Psimet2001) is a Bike Forums member). Velocity A23 rims, White Industries hub, sapim spokes. :thumb:

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/o...pskvpuldvb.jpg

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/o...psnuwoe2wz.jpg

Fldaves 07-06-16 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 18893570)
How much do you want to spend?

I wanted 24 spokes front, 28 spokes rear and couldn't find anything I liked online so I just got a set of custom wheels from PSIMet.com (Robert (Psimet2001) is a Bike Forums member). Velocity A23 rims, White Industries hub, sapim spokes. :thumb:

I want to stay below $900.

RonH 07-06-16 02:29 PM

I paid $884. You can request a quote and he'll get back to you very quickly with a price.

metalheart44 07-06-16 02:49 PM

These seem to be wheels that folks like and the price is within your limits ($645):

November Bicycles: Race smart. - Nimbus Ti Select

http://www.novemberbicycles.com/stor...=1454624079300

CrankyNeck 07-07-16 02:32 PM

Worth a look.

HED Ardennes FR + Wheelset

John E 07-07-16 02:51 PM

Hey, easy peasy. Don't buy a wheelset, build your own custom or have one built. Best thing I've found so far for our tandem, 286 lb. team weight, is 36H Chris King Classic hubs, Kinlin XC279 rims, and CX-Ray spokes. Much less expensive double-butted 15-14 round spokes would be just fine, too. The main things for durability are deep rims and 36 spokes. Easy maintenance and repair are good reasons for going with a traditional type wheelset rather then boutique. ...

For reliability and easy repairability, I strongly endorse sticking with the traditional 36 spokes per wheel, perhaps 32 for lighter riders such as myself. (I have 36 on the Capos and the Peugeot, 32 on the Bianchi and the Schwinn, and I am not receptive to having fewer than that.) Stay with a 3X pattern (or 4X with 36 spokes, if you like). Even though I experimented with radial front spokes in the early 1970s, I cannot recommend those, either -- too much outward stress on the hub flange.

FL_MarkD 07-07-16 08:37 PM

I also wanted 36 spoke wheels and ended up going custom. A regular on another forum does wheel builds and had great reviews. I had H+Sons black 36 hole Archtype rims, Ultegra hubs, Sapim race spokes and brass nipples. Hand built, delivered for just a bit over $500. They ride great and I am 190lbs. I believe they would be fine for you.

PM me if you want the reference information. He will respond to your email with a quote or suggestions for wheels.

Mark

martianone 07-08-16 04:15 PM

Have the Kysrium Elite wheel set on my bike & 25 mm Conti tires.
Probably have around twelve thousand km on them, my mAss runs just under 100 kg. Not overly careful about where I ride; paths, dirt roads, pavement, etc. No problems with the wheel set, no broken spokes or bearing issues. Get them trued once per year- happy I got them.

John_V 07-10-16 12:33 PM

I have the American Classic Victory 30 wheelset that I bought for myself this past Christmas. I choose them because they are tubeless clinchers so I can use either type of tire I want on them. Currently using clinchers. They're a little heavier than the Hurricane wheels but they are a little deeper. I've really liked them so far and the only problem I've had with them is putting on a new tire. You'll need lots of soapy water because the rubber rim tape they use doesn't allow the tire to move smoothly across it. I would think that foldable clinchers would be easier to put on them but unfortunately, I have wire bead tires. Maybe my next set of tires will be foldable. Second reason I picked them is because their headquarters is out by TIA. My LBS mechanic worked for American Classic and he said they will take walk-in, warranty issues.

osco53 07-10-16 02:28 PM

American Classic All Mountain for me.

They were out there for a few years at $850 but then it was no longer cool to ride rims with an Inside Diameter of 25mm
so they wen't on closeout for $399,,,I snagged em and they are fantastic.

The Wide Lightening with a 30mm I.D. out sold them, I see this one on many bikes but I did not want to change my tire profile that much and wanted a bit lighter rim...

The ones that replaced the A.M.'s in the line are 27mm Inside Diameter with upgraded graphics and are $850.......

DiabloScott 07-10-16 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fldaves (Post 18893580)
I want to stay below $900.

Custom wheels
Chris King hubs - 36°
DT rims
15-16 butt spokes.

That should be right around $900 and you won't ever regret it.

OldsCOOL 07-10-16 06:15 PM

There are few upgrades to your ride as profound as a new wheelset. I always go for light/durable and proper app. Wheelset shopping is fun, almost like getting a new bike.

Chandne 07-13-16 11:00 AM

If running tubeless or ever intending to, it seems that American Classic's tubeless rims have a unique feature call a bead "barb" or bead lock that prevents the tire from burping at lower pressures but may apse keep the tire more locked in than the other tubeless rims I have researched. I'm not sure how good their hubs are.

gettingold 07-18-16 10:30 AM

Recently decided to upgrade my stock bontragers and did a lot of research. Had a modest budget (was hoping to stay under $500), but mission creep took hold. Came up with these: Boyd Altamonts. Delivery expected on Wednesday. Light, wide, stiff and aero. $800 for the set. :thumb:

http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-oo8hvh...53.453.jpg?c=2

gettingold 07-18-16 10:36 AM

I would not trust anything I built myself at 45 mph :lol:

dachshund 07-20-16 09:00 AM

Custom here. I love these wheels!
Velocity AeroHead
White Industries H2
Sapim CX-Ray

ltxi 07-20-16 06:51 PM

This is an interesting discussion. I bought a new BMC CF road bike a few months back. Came with 16/20, F/R spoke wheels. Long accustomed to circa 32 stuff, I never would have considered something like this but I like them. Can't quite figure out how they seem to work so well for a 200# rider.

Hill-Pumper 07-21-16 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by metalheart44 (Post 18893711)
These seem to be wheels that folks like and the price is within your limits ($645):

November Bicycles: Race smart. - Nimbus Ti Select

http://www.novemberbicycles.com/stor...=1454624079300

I just received a set of these for my gravel bike. They are good people to deal with, and great bang for the buck.

OldsCOOL 07-22-16 10:13 AM

For my classic 86 Trek 760 I nabbed a set of '72 Mavic 36h tubular wheels. Had to pay 80.00 but still a decent deal. Makes me wonder what these old things have seen for miles. :)

Defyme 07-22-16 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by gettingold (Post 18920352)
Recently decided to upgrade my stock bontragers and did a lot of research. Had a modest budget (was hoping to stay under $500), but mission creep took hold. Came up with these: Boyd Altamonts. Delivery expected on Wednesday. Light, wide, stiff and aero. $800 for the set. :thumb:

http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-oo8hvh...53.453.jpg?c=2

You will love your Boyd's. Been running mine for the past year and have grown to love them more with each ride. Stiff, well built, and role great especially climbing and descending. Enjoy!

gettingold 07-23-16 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Defyme (Post 18931251)
You will love your Boyd's. Been running mine for the past year and have grown to love them more with each ride. Stiff, well built, and role great especially climbing and descending. Enjoy!

Thanks! I finally got a chance to try them on a longer ride today and I love them. And I mispoke on price; paid $700, not $800. :thumb: