Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Carpal tunnel procedure - what can I expect re: cycling

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-10-16, 12:41 PM
DaveQ24 

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi all - I'm having carpal tunnel "surgery" (I hate to call it that - a root canal is a more involved procedure than this is IMHO) in a few weeks on my dominant hand, then probably 6-8 weeks later on the other hand.

Anyone who has had it care to share how it affected their cycling? Length of recovery, things to avoid, etc?

I'm a fitness cyclist - I try to get in 100 to 120 miles per week in 3-4 rides, primarily riding a Sp. Sirrus hybrid on paved MUP's and local roads. I also do resistance training at the gym 3 days a week.

Between the aggravation my hands cause me while riding, while using the computer all day at work, and struggling to do simple things when I wake up with completely numb hands each morning, it's time.
Old 07-10-16, 04:45 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Are you sure its carpal tunnel?
I used to wake up with numb hands. My doc tested my B-12 level and said it was so low it had fallen off the bottom of the chart. I took B-12 supplements (5000 micrograms every day) for a year. He then tested it again and said it was finally back within the normal range. To keep it within the normal range I take 1000 micrograms each morning. No more numb hands in the mornings.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-10-16, 08:14 PM
loneviking61

Bikes: Schwinn Trailwise, Surly Pugsley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just had Carpal Tunnel surgery on June 3. All went well, and I was off the bike for a month. I wear padded cycling gloves when I ride and I would suggest you buy a pair to wear during recovery. The incision is going to be sore and tender for several weeks.

I'm getting my other hand fixed in November and I'm really looking forward to no more numb hands!
Old 07-11-16, 12:26 PM
DaveQ24 

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
RonH - my vitamin levels are normal. They tested for that. The EMG and Xrays seemed very conclusive to the hand surgeon.

loneviking61 - glad it went well for you. I always wear cycling gloves, have for at least 25 years of riding.
Old 07-11-16, 02:09 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 425 Posts
DaveQ24, good luck

My EMG results showed CTS and advice was to operate NOW. Dr. mentioned that in his opinion I had already waited too long for a normal time-frame for recovery. Not yet at 100% recovered from open surgery 2 years ago.
Old 07-11-16, 02:15 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
My doctor recommended carpal tunnel surgery for me but wanted to try a few things first. Turns out (long story short) that in the end my carpal tunnel was caused by the straight bars on my commute bike.

I switched my commute bike to normal drop bars and the carpal tunnel totally went away. Yes, it took a few weeks but now I'm carpal tunnel free without surgery!

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-11-16, 02:52 PM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
My doctor recommended carpal tunnel surgery for me but wanted to try a few things first. Turns out (long story short) that in the end my carpal tunnel was caused by the straight bars on my commute bike.

I switched my commute bike to normal drop bars and the carpal tunnel totally went away. Yes, it took a few weeks but now I'm carpal tunnel free without surgery!

Rick / OCRR
+1

Tingling fingers, numbness developing to 24/7 numbness. Switching to my drop bar Randonee got rid of the numbness in a week. Riding the Verve 2 with a flat bar for more than 10 mi. I get 'pins and needles' and temporary numbness.
Old 07-11-16, 06:05 PM
loneviking61

Bikes: Schwinn Trailwise, Surly Pugsley

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveQ24 View Post
RonH - my vitamin levels are normal. They tested for that. The EMG and Xrays seemed very conclusive to the hand surgeon.

loneviking61 - glad it went well for you. I always wear cycling gloves, have for at least 25 years of riding.
You'll want to wear a padded one after surgery for awhile. Anything poking that incision hurts, grabbing things hard without padding will also hurt.
Old 07-16-16, 04:57 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 24 Posts
I went in for the surgery when my hands were literally "on fire" most of every day. I could tell after each surgery that complete relief was in store. Sure enough, it was
, and it took about two months..

To help keep it that way, I switched the front tire on my bike to a folding bead tire. I run it lower than the max pressure and it soaks up a lot of road buzz. You have to experiment around with the pressure to find the best compromise between speed and a softer ride. bk