Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   I CAN do this! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1073345-i-can-do.html)

tiniree2 07-21-16 12:45 PM

I CAN do this!

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I am a twice stroke survivor!

I just called my LBS and are putting a brand new Trek Shift 3 on layaway for me. I tried one yesterday. But, I didn't realize this bike had different size frames. The one I tried was a 13.5 inch frame and it fit just OK. I also tried a specialized roll v but really liked the Trek better. The only thing that held me back from buying it, was that the frame seem just a little small even though I'm only 5 foot one and a half inches tall. Today I called track and spoke with a person who worked there. After discussing the different size frames he suggested I try the 16 1/2 inch frame in stead. Luckily my local bike shop has one in stock. They are going to put it together for me so I can try it on Sunday. If all goes well I will be putting it on layaway and it will be all mine in a couple months.

BobbyG 07-21-16 01:29 PM

Welcome to bikeforums! Working with your LBS will help make your return to biking a success! Let us know what happens!

RonH 07-21-16 01:31 PM

Great to hear you'll be riding. :thumb: Good luck getting a bike you'll like. Let us know what you think after a few rides.

rumrunn6 07-21-16 01:53 PM

just in time for fine fall weather!

obed7 07-21-16 01:55 PM

sounds good...keep it fun.

Rubble 07-21-16 02:04 PM

In response to your post title, YES, you can! At 60 I got back on a bike a year ago. Close to 2,000 miles in my first year. I chuckle now when I look back at my "long" rides from last July of 6 miles. Start slow, listen to your body and don't get concerned when others pass you. Good luck!

obed7 07-21-16 03:03 PM

I was a bit older than you on my first ride, and did not go much further....
3-1/2 miles and stopped for water and a break, then 3-1/2 miles home.

DiabloScott 07-21-16 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by tiniree2 (Post 18928686)
If all goes well I will be putting it on layaway and it will be all mine in a couple months.

Are you waiting for financial reasons? In two months it'll be September - can you ride through the winter?

Maybe we should GoFundYou so you can get the bike sooner.

You are an inspiration.

tiniree2 07-21-16 07:44 PM

Thank you for your kind words! Yes, its financial. Still paying off medical bills. But, we live in AZ so riding in Winter is lovely!

Originally Posted by DiabloScott (Post 18929244)
Are you waiting for financial reasons? In two months it'll be September - can you ride through the winter?

Maybe we should GoFundYou so you can get the bike sooner.

You are an inspiration.

tiniree2 07-21-16 07:45 PM

What is GoFundYou?

Originally Posted by tiniree2 (Post 18929643)
Thank you for your kind words! Yes, its financial. Still paying off medical bills. But, we live in AZ so riding in Winter is lovely!

wished 07-22-16 08:21 AM

Welcome, I took took up biking again (40 year break) at 61, 2500 miles the first year, even more so far in 2016 and just ordered a new Surly Disc Trucker to do some touring this fall. We live in Florida, so like you, we can bike all year. October is by far our nicest month! Get the bike, ride every day you can. I got it for some exercise/therapy due to shattered leg injury, so far I've lost about 45-50 pounds although that was not really my goal. So that means lower cholesterol, blood pressure, etc. I also don't feel at all guilty for riding to a local beer pub to have a cold one with my friends :)

DiabloScott 07-22-16 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by tiniree2 (Post 18929647)
What is GoFundYou?

I was making a joke, but crowd sourcing is a thing. GoFundMe is a way of raising money for projects.

https://www.gofundme.com/

peterws 07-22-16 04:32 PM

Funny isnt it? Octobers a great month here, N England, too. Usually a real break from the 70 deg we sometimes get here. . .:lol:

berner 07-22-16 05:43 PM

Good choice getting a bike. Cycling is fun and it makes you stronger. I'm 77, no 78, - rats I forget. Anyway, beginning about five years ago, I ride about 3000 miles plus yearly. Did I mention riding a bike is fun?