Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

never too old to be a dumbass

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-27-16, 09:03 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4564 Post(s)
Liked 2,229 Times in 1,517 Posts

had a big day planned last Sunday. was out watering before 6am (local rules). slip on the wet grassy hillside & fall on my left hand/wrist/hip. so don't do that again ...

wound up riding 26 miles w/ Wifey. wrist was sore but I lasted & it didn't swell. seems to be improving but I wrapped it anyway so that I would use it less. amazing how much we use our hands & wrists for. even just washing utensils requires lots of twisting motions

w/ every intention to do another 2-day split work commute I'm opting to rest it. hoping to get miles in this weekend. also skipped all gym workouts even the aerobics like stair climbing, cycling & running. guess I keyed into my lazy side. I hate having an excuse to skip the gym

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-27-16 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-27-16, 09:11 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 440 Posts
Beez careful.

470 folks died last year falling out of bed.

Old 07-27-16, 09:29 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 2348 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 657 Posts
3 weeks ago I was stepping over one of the cats lounging in the doorway, was barefoot, and as I stepped over her, she bolted. To avoid kicking her into orbit I sacrificed my left foot on the door frame. X-Ray showed obvious break on sm. toe, possibly crack in metatarsal. 3 weeks later and I can only now put a shoe on, but not my Shimano cycling shoes. I can swim and can also wear my SPD sandals for easy rides on my touring bike, but cannot stand on the pedals and cannot push hard.

Clutz runs in the family for sure.
Old 07-27-16, 09:56 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,108 Times in 367 Posts
Hell, a few weeks go, I time trialed it home for about 15 miles. Got home all hot and sweaty, and laid down to eat a bowl of stew. After a few minutes, I got up to get something to drink.

I started feeling dizzy (not uncommon for me), so I grabbed the kitchen island to steady myself.

The next thing I remember, I woke up on the floor! I could still hear the sound of me *hitting* the floor resounding in the room. I whacked my head on the bottom step of the staircase and jacked my shoulder hitting the pantry door. It took me a few moments to realize that for the first time, I had actually fainted. Yikes.

The shoulder's OK now and the knot on my noggin went well with the others already there. All good, but it could have turned out badly.

Next time I feel that dizzy, I'm sitting down!

Old 07-27-16, 10:10 AM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I did a duathlon earlier this month. One of the ladies I ride with came to do it too and when I was on the final run, she passed me coming in the other way on the bike. We exchanged encouraging shouts and I slipped in some sand, went down, got up and kept going. As my grandson and I were on the way home, he pointed out my elbow was bloody.

I guess the old saying, "can't run and talk at the same time applies here."
Old 07-27-16, 10:11 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 66 Posts
There are lots of little bones in your wrist that you can fracture and not really know it. That's what they told me the last time I had mine xrayed after a crash. It may be nothing, but you should get it checked out.
Old 07-27-16, 10:12 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Hell, a few weeks go, I time trialed it home for about 15 miles. Got home all hot and sweaty, and laid down to eat a bowl of stew. After a few minutes, I got up to get something to drink.I started feeling dizzy (not uncommon for me), so I grabbed the kitchen island to steady myself. The next thing I remember, I woke up on the floor! I could still hear the sound of me *hitting* the floor resounding in the room. I whacked my head on the bottom step of the staircase and jacked my shoulder hitting the pantry door. It took me a few moments to realize that for the first time, I had actually fainted. Yikes.The shoulder's OK now and the knot on my noggin went well with the others already there. All good, but it could have turned out badly.Next time I feel that dizzy, I'm sitting down!
Would Hope you got checked out by a Doctor?

Old 07-27-16, 10:14 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6839 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 454 Posts
I don't know. Slipping and falling doesn't make me a dumbass.
Old 07-27-16, 10:21 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
Would Hope you got checked out by a Doctor?
No need to. Mere months before that happened, I had a complete cardio workup. Contrast CT scan, EKG, experimental EKG where they take measurements in your chest and extremities ... all kinds of stuff. Bottom line: all normal. My heart rate and blood pressure are rather low.

I chalked it up to not eating or drinking enough and getting up from a supine position too quickly. But I'll chat it over with the doc at my next scheduled appointment ... only a couple of weeks away.

Old 07-27-16, 10:45 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
it is bad enough for me to think about my humanity, I am not actually going to tell you about it...I can live with myself knowing it, but not you...I can laugh at myself, but not comfortable with you doing it.
Old 07-27-16, 11:20 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by obed7 View Post
it is bad enough for me to think about my humanity, I am not actually going to tell you about it...I can live with myself knowing it, but not you...I can laugh at myself, but not comfortable with you doing it.

Don't worry, we can keep a secret so you can trust us!
Old 07-27-16, 11:27 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by obed7 View Post
"All the world loves a clown." - Cole Porter

Old 07-27-16, 11:31 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 103 Posts
No need to. Mere months before that happened, I had a complete cardio workup. Contrast CT scan, EKG, experimental EKG where they take measurements in your chest and extremities ... all kinds of stuff. Bottom line: all normal. My heart rate and blood pressure are rather low.

I chalked it up to not eating or drinking enough and getting up from a supine position too quickly. But I'll chat it over with the doc at my next scheduled appointment ... only a couple of weeks away.
Never have passed out but have same problem, get up too fast and not enough electrolytes in system. Low heart rate too mine runs 38/40 Bpm.
Old 07-27-16, 01:15 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not quite the same, as only my pride was hurt:

Four years ago, I bought a scale that measured body fat. I was really bummed to be in the 25-28% range. No matter how much weight I lost, how hard I exercised, how well I dieted, I could not get the measure to move. I went through a year of heavy weight training every other day, an hour of cardio daily, strict diet, went from 220 to 245, and only dropped from 28% to 25%. I gave up on the number, figuring I'd always be lardy.

Last week I was trying to figure out how to reset the scale, since it still thinks I'm 50 years old. I reread the part that said "The Body Fat number represents the approximate weight in pounds or kilograms of fat".

So 27/205 = 13%, not 27%. I'm a dumbass.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 07-27-16, 01:16 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked 591 Times in 369 Posts
Hell, a few weeks go, I time trialed it home for about 15 miles. Got home all hot and sweaty, and laid down to eat a bowl of stew. After a few minutes, I got up to get something to drink.

I started feeling dizzy (not uncommon for me), so I grabbed the kitchen island to steady myself.

The next thing I remember, I woke up on the floor!
This happened to me a few weeks ago. After a short aerobic ride I felt dizzy so I put my drink down and steadied myself against the kitchen counter next to me. The next thing I remember I was on my hands and knees. Luckily I didn't hurt anything, especially myself. Got my dosage of lisinipril lowered after that.
Old 07-27-16, 01:53 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

A friend had a heart attack with that.
Happy you are ok.

Old 07-27-16, 05:20 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

True dat...at 73 I be a witness.
Old 07-27-16, 11:11 PM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It may still be a good idea to see a doctor. A stroke cannot be predicted in a checkup and perfectly healthy people can get one.

You don't have to be paralyzed to have suffered a stroke.

The husband of a good friend of mine, age 42 and a doctor in the military, perfect physical condition... He 'slipped' on the hospital lino.

Later at lunch, he was recanting his 'slip' while at lunch with a colleague. His colleague got alarmed and took him for further checking. He ended up on the operating table a few hours later. Their life changed forever.

It could be worse. He could end up a paraplegic or worse, dead.

Don't be a dumbass... see a doctor.
Old 07-28-16, 08:30 AM
wished

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spent much of last week working a new deck out our second floor master bedroom, lots of time climbing up and down ladders which scares my wife since I have fallen off one several times (with injuries, but hey, I'm still alive!) No injuries except a splinter or two on the whole project, even in 100+ heat index. Cleaning up last day and accidentally kicked a ladder on the ground, bruised my ankle to point I thought I had broken it. Doesn't seem to hurt to ride much, hurts too bad to go shopping though (perfect injury!), so I guess that makes me a dumbass also?
Old 07-28-16, 03:34 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Op,,

Let you In on a little secret of mine,,

wet grass,,

golf shoes
Old 07-28-16, 04:56 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 4564 Post(s)
Liked 2,229 Times in 1,517 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53 View Post
golf shoes
genius!
Old 07-28-16, 09:11 PM
justtrying

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I am living proof of the " never being to old to be a"dumb ass"theory. Fifteen years ago when I was 48 my then 6& 8 year old boys wanted to learn how to ride their bikes over 1 of those cheap plastic bike ramps.I wasn't doing any riding at the time,not that it would have made any difference, but I jumped on my mongoose threshold hit the ramp and then proceeded to hit the ground. Nine hrs later I was home from the ER with 2 broken ribs and more than enough scrapes and bruises. Thank God this dumb as was wearing a helmet,I cracked part of it.
Old 07-30-16, 10:17 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Living in the desert southwest we do not have grass . . .