Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

biking back to health

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

biking back to health

Old 08-04-16, 10:07 AM
fibesman10

Bikes: Diamondback Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
biking back to health

first off, this site is inspiring and has so much incredible info.....thanks
Im 62 yrs old.
a little history:
In 2005 I had my first major artery stroke. Drs. could not find a reason why I had it. I didn't work for a yr.as I recovered
in 2010 I had another major artery stroke Drs patched me up and I took another yr to recover.
in 2013 I had my 3rd, this time I had a new dr. he told me I was in great health, my bp was a bit high. He told me he was committed to finding out why this kept happening to me. On a hunch on the 2nd to last day of my hospital stay he said they wanted to put a camera down my throat and take a pic of the back of my heart. sure nuff there was a hole between 2 chambers allowing blood clots to pass through the hole and go right to my brain before the clot could be filtered by my lungs. within 2 weeks they had placed a device in my heart to close the hole. I started recovery again.
The doc said I should do some sort of aerobic exercise to help rebuild, as a kid I loved biking so I bought a hybrid bike and started riding round the block.

that brings us to now:
Last yr I rode 1871 miles according to my App "Map my ride" I attached the yr. end summary I received 2 days ago. I keep improving and keep riding. also the heart doc that inserted the device in my heart is a biker. our yrly visits now consist of a 5 min exam and the rest of the time consists of comparing biking achievements.
If you take a hit like I did It's possible to come back. you may not be able to do things that you once did. (I was a pianist and the strokes affected my ability) but there is always something else.

So now my new game is to beat my 1871 miles next yr. I posted the pic of the notice I got from map my ride but it's so small you probably cant read it.
thanks for listening
Gregg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
map my ride.jpg (21.0 KB, 147 views)
Old 08-04-16, 10:21 AM
Seizedpost
Bench vise user

Bikes: 2004 Orbea Marmaloda, 1982 S12-S LTD, 1956? Maino, 1985 Sagres

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job! That's cool that your doctor is a cyclist.
Old 08-04-16, 11:36 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 198 Posts
Outstanding!!!! Pedal on and on and on and........
Old 08-04-16, 11:40 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 497 Times in 218 Posts
Damn ... sorry it took so long to diagnose you, but you're on your way now.

Old 08-04-16, 01:08 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm no medico, but three strokes (no matter what the kind) - the first when you were only 51 - sounds pretty bad. Glad you finally got the correct diagnosis; sounds like you've got a good MD. Congrats on getting back into biking. Keep it up.
Old 08-04-16, 02:17 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That's great news. Keep on riding.
Next time you see the doc tell him you bought a $5000 road bike and let us know what he says.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-04-16, 07:30 PM
ticwanos
Ol' Paint

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Grand Prix,'71 Schwinn Super Sport, '73 Schwinn Paramount, '83 Schwinn Super Sport, '84(?) Univega Gran Sprint, '89 Schwinn Waterford Paramount

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inspiring story. So glad to hear you are on the road, literally, to recovery.
-- Leon Briggs
Old 08-05-16, 06:06 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Ride to live,
Live to ride,

It applies to us all
Old 08-05-16, 03:29 PM
Wildwood
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Quoted: 2451 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 634 Posts
63 is much better than 62.
You will soon learn.
Old 08-05-16, 04:15 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 269 Posts
Well done! Nothing is as demoralizing as not knowing what the problem is. Glad you now what you are dealing with. 1600 miles is not too shabby. Don't forget though that you are not racing. It is totally irrelevant how fast you go or how many miles you put away. It is very nice, however, to see some year to year improvement.

I've very recently gotten my weight down to where it was in high school when I worked on a dairy farm during summer months. I'm just about ecstatic about this. It is well established now, according to my health reading, that being overweight is the single worst condition for overall health. I don't plan to live forever; just want to ride the bike a while longer.
Old 08-05-16, 06:00 PM
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Hi Gregg

Oh my you've been through so much health wise and professionally. My complements to you on having a great attitude.

Cycling changed my life starting at age 64 (now 71). Couldn't diagnose my late wife til it was too late. My current wife is a professional musician which brought us to Florida when took up cycling.

So please, please keep putting in the base miles. Just ride a little longer each year and perhaps s little faster. After a few years you might consider a road bike for longer and faster rides, or just stay with your hybrid or ride both.

Whatever you decide, you've begun a remarkable trip which many find extraordinarily satisfying for so many reasons. Enjoy the journey.
Old 08-05-16, 06:12 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2016 giant stance 1, 2017 giant TCR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
glad your still here with us, glad your getting healthy again. inspiring, i am 54 now and last year i had a stroke, after a few different neurologist i found a doc that showed me the reason for a stroke, high blood pressure, not real high but high for me. i've always been an athlete but due to stress of jobs and family issues i was under a lot of pressure and it got me. now recovering and exercising eating right and taking meds that i'm not happy about. but good to hear your story and gives me hope to meep going.
rob
Old 08-08-16, 03:25 AM
fibesman10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all for the encouragement

A little clarification.

here is the reason why it took 8 yrs to figure out why I was having strokes.
I have been self employed as a musician and a woodworker all my life. When I had the 1st and 2nd strokes I had no health insurance. It was just so insanely expensive due to pre existing conditions, that I just couldn't afford it. So when I was taken to the hospital I was passed around to many different neurologists, and it seemed like they couldn't get me out the door fast enough.
I got married in 2012 and my wife was a life long employee of a major university. As a result, I was put on her stellar health insurance plan. So when I had the 3rd stroke in 2013 I had 1 doctor and he was the one who found the problem.
I was bitter for a while but I'm over it.
As far as my hybrid bike. Ive thought about getting a new road bike, I bought a new wheel set and new 32mm tires and I have my bike tuned by the local bike shop. I'm quite happy with it at the moment. I may buy a new bike, we shall see.

Thanks to all who replied to this post. It's funny, once you get the biking bug I have found that I plan everything around my bike time. My wife and I have booked next yrs winter vacation in Key west. I'm checking out all the places to rent a bike for the 10 days, Map my ride has maps submitted by other riders for key west and I'm checking them out.
Gregg
Old 08-08-16, 03:26 AM
fibesman10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
63 is much better than 62.
You will soon learn.
and I'm willing to bet 64 is better then 63........you made me laugh thanks
Old 08-08-16, 03:31 AM
fibesman10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
That's great news. Keep on riding.
Next time you see the doc tell him you bought a $5000 road bike and let us know what he says.

LOL, I will, I think I'll tell him that I had to have one since my insurance co. paid for his.
Old 08-08-16, 03:38 AM
fibesman10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rob214 View Post
glad your still here with us, glad your getting healthy again. inspiring, i am 54 now and last year i had a stroke, after a few different neurologist i found a doc that showed me the reason for a stroke, high blood pressure, not real high but high for me. i've always been an athlete but due to stress of jobs and family issues i was under a lot of pressure and it got me. now recovering and exercising eating right and taking meds that i'm not happy about. but good to hear your story and gives me hope to meep going.
rob

Stress is a huge factor, being self employed my entire life, stress was always present in my life. as was high BP which also contributed to my condition. I wish somehow that getting healthy would have sunk in my head at an early age.......oh well hindsight.
as for the meds, I hate them also, but by eating right and exercise we can greatly reduce the meds we need.
best of luck to you
Gregg
Old 08-08-16, 03:43 AM
fibesman10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Miami Biker View Post
Hi Gregg

Oh my you've been through so much health wise and professionally. My complements to you on having a great attitude.

Cycling changed my life starting at age 64 (now 71). Couldn't diagnose my late wife til it was too late. My current wife is a professional musician which brought us to Florida when took up cycling.

So please, please keep putting in the base miles. Just ride a little longer each year and perhaps s little faster. After a few years you might consider a road bike for longer and faster rides, or just stay with your hybrid or ride both.

Whatever you decide, you've begun a remarkable trip which many find extraordinarily satisfying for so many reasons. Enjoy the journey.

Last winter we vacationed on Sanibel Island in Fla. OMG I had a great time biking in 80 degree weather is so much more fun then biking in 24 degree weather with 3 layers of clothing on. we have already booked our 2017 vacation for February in key west. looking forward to biking down there. But it will have to be on a rental bike. hope I can find something decent to ride.
Biking has also changed my life.
Gregg
Old 08-08-16, 03:48 AM
fibesman10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berner View Post
Well done! Nothing is as demoralizing as not knowing what the problem is. Glad you now what you are dealing with. 1600 miles is not too shabby. Don't forget though that you are not racing. It is totally irrelevant how fast you go or how many miles you put away. It is very nice, however, to see some year to year improvement.

I've very recently gotten my weight down to where it was in high school when I worked on a dairy farm during summer months. I'm just about ecstatic about this. It is well established now, according to my health reading, that being overweight is the single worst condition for overall health. I don't plan to live forever; just want to ride the bike a while longer.

you are so right, I was living in fear for a long time wondering when the next stroke would happen. I still get a little antsy once and a while about it.
I'm working on getting my weight down also. glad to hear you were able to achieve your weight goal.
Gregg
Old 08-08-16, 08:14 AM
flan48

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 1.4

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
Outstanding!!!! Pedal on and on and on and........
+1!

Best regards