Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ahhhh The Sights, Sounds and Smells of Yellowstone

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-25-16, 09:27 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 399 Posts

Another fabulous day on the bike. 81 miles with most of it in Yellowstone. I knew it was going to be a great day when a Park Ranger at the entrance waived me around all the cars and told me to go through a closed gate. There are tons of people taking advantage of the free entry and 100 year National Park celebration weekend. But I didn't have any issues with traffic.

The sites, sounds and smells were incredible. I could hear the water rushing over rocks and birds talking to me while riding. The smells of evergreens and sulfur are quite the contrast. Riding through a Park like this is a real gift. If you have the chance you should try it.

I rode several miles with a fella doing a 600k. He was supposed to exit the South Entrance and go through Jackson but that road is still closed. I guess he found out....

Most of the day was riding at 7000-8500'. It was cool and I never got thirsty. But.....near the end of the ride my body told me I hadn't taken in enough fluids. Got the shakes, saw stars etc. I quickly refueled, ate some fig newtons and made it the last few miles just fine but that was a good reminder. I'm the worlds worst hydrator anyway. My kidney stones are proof of that!!

I used my 32 for the first time today. There were several 10%+ hills in Yellowstone. Some were on a side road by the Virginia Cascades. Others were on the way to Canyons.

My brain is draining after all the riding. After a couple hours I met my wife to change clothes. It was 28 degrees when I started but warmed up to the 50s-60s. I had already taken off my arm warmers I was wearing under a long sleeved jersey but I couldn't find them when I met Her. I backtracked to where I'd removed them to see if I'd left them lying around somewhere. It turns out I'd stuffed them down the back of my shorts because I'd run out of room I'm my other pockets to carry stuff. Talking about a 50+ moment!!

I guess the rest day tomorrow is very timely after all.

I need to add up the mileage for the first 12 days. I think it's 800+. I know it was 404 through Idaho as that's what the mileage marker indicated. Probably more than 400 through Oregon plus today's mileage. Heck it might be 900....(edit-added mileage and we're at 935 miles!)

Entering Montana on Hwy 20 near West Yellowstone

Madison River near West Entrance

Cascade Falls

Yellowstone River

On my way to Fishing Bridge

Last edited by jppe; 08-26-16 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-26-16, 05:05 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
Another fabulous day on the bike. 81 miles with most of it in Yellowstone

The sites, sounds and smells were incredible. I could hear the water rushing over rocks and birds talking tome while riding. The smells of evergreens and sulfur are quite the contrast.Riding through a Park like this is a real gift. If you have the chance you should try it….
Well, you’re clearly in the Rockies now, on your way to the Continental Divide. We crossed at Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado (on Day 21), and had our picture taken by a dude in a green Volkswagen Beetle, with a surfboard strapped to the roof. He said he came here for the waves. When I said the Ocean is several hundred miles to the West, he replied, “I was misinformed.” (The dude was real, the conversation made up.*)

After the Continental Divide, we rolled on, hardly pedalling. The scenery as I recall started to diminish, with some discomfort as we knew we were leaving the Rockies, but the cycling still remained memorable.

BTW, nice two-toned cycle shoes. How many pairs of shoes did you bring in the sag wagon (though I’m sure it’s not only one single lime green jersey). ?Just kidding…I presume those are toe-warmers.

[*In the movie Casablanca, the tough-guy Humphrey Bogart character, Rick, is asked why he came to Casablanca:
Rick: “For the Waters.”
The inspector:“But Casablanca is in the desert.”
Rick (sardonically): “I was misinformed.” ]

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-26-16 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-26-16, 05:54 AM
Carbonated

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Lucky you..

I hitchhiked across the US many years ago and Yellowstone was one of the highlights.

I'm so jealous!
Old 08-26-16, 06:52 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Climbing up to Gibbon Falls

Gibbon Falls

Yellowstone Lake

This Fella Held up Traffic

Sunset

Last edited by jppe; 08-26-16 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-26-16, 06:58 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Jim-2 pairs of shoes in case one gets wet. Toe covers!!

I probably brought 8-9 jerseys. 2 are the lime green. I like the safer feeling of the bright jersey. I wash the one I've worn every night. Same with the shorts.

I've climbed Wolf Creek several times but we'll be north of there this trip.

Last edited by jppe; 08-26-16 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-26-16, 07:44 AM
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 368 Times in 255 Posts
When my family took a seven-week Northwest US vacation back in '73, we stayed five days in Yellowstone at various campgrounds all around the park. I HATED Yellowstone, because I had a splitting headache most of the time we were there because of the very strong sulfur smell. Scenery was pretty, but my head hurt.

28°? that's too freaking cold for me! Well, too cold to be enjoyable. 55-70 is my preferred temperature range, otherwise my knees start 'talking' to me if too cold, or I overheat.

I Look forward to your daily posts!! What a great trip, and picture documentation!
'86 Miyata 710
'90 Schwinn Woodlands
Unknown brand MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'
Plus or minus a few others from time-to-time

Old 08-27-16, 08:24 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 554 Posts
One of the great reason to bike is to be out in the environment with nothing between you and nature. We are able to take in all the sights, sounds, and smells. Riding in Yellowstone would seem to be great.
Old 08-27-16, 08:59 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's funny, your pictures are very reminiscent when I rode Yellowstone earlier this year before it opened. (It opens to bikes first, so you can ride on the whole road!)

I have pretty much some of the exact pictures that you have. Gorgeous place down there. We're in a bit of a cold spurt right now for some reason. You missed the really warm weather. Those bison are bigger up close! You don't realize how big they are until you're passing them in a car or a bike only a few feet away.

Anyway, be careful. Some of the tourists don't know how to drive very well down there. I've been passed very closely and almost hit by a few foreign drivers down there. (And since you're down there, you know exactly who I'm talking about.)

Anyway, enjoy your trip!
Old 08-27-16, 10:06 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked 836 Times in 570 Posts
Nice trip. If you have a free evening, check out the Playmill Theatre in West Yellowstone.

We held last year's family reunion in West Yellowstone and had a great time there. There is nothing like it anywhere else in the US. Since we flew to SLC and drove up from there, I did not bring a bicycle with me, although it would have been fun to have one available. This year's family reunion was at Bass Lake, near Yosemite, and next year's will be back at Big Bear Lake. (We always choose crummy places -- Lake Tahoe (both sides), Alaska inside passage cruise, Monterey CA, Midway UT, Powder Ridge UT, Zion National Park, Angels Camp CA, ... . Whenever I left for a family vacation, the guys at work begged to join my clan. )
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-27-16, 10:37 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 85 Posts
Last time we were in Yellowstone, we drove all over the place. Gorgeous scenery, especially for a Floridian. We were in Wyoming last week, in the Casper area, and heard on the news that there was a large forest fire in Yellowstone. They were going to let it burn itself out since the area was pretty much closed in and there were no tourists in that part of the park. I hope it didn't do too much damage.

Were there a lot of dead trees in the area? They are having a pine beetle infestation in Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota. Lots of the mountain sides are baron from having to cut the trees down to keep the beetle form migrating to different areas.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-27-16, 09:35 PM
nmichell

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome photos! I've been enjoying the ride reports, but this one's the best. I'm going to make it to Yellowstone one of these days ...
Old 08-27-16, 09:59 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 97 Posts
Awesome and good for you! I love Yellowstone though I have never been their on a bike.
Old 08-28-16, 05:29 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by John_V View Post
Last time we were in Yellowstone, we drove all over the place. Gorgeous scenery, especially for a Floridian. We were in Wyoming last week, in the Casper area, and heard on the news that there was a large forest fire in Yellowstone. They were going to let it burn itself out since the area was pretty much closed in and there were no tourists in that part of the park. I hope it didn't do too much damage.

Were there a lot of dead trees in the area? They are having a pine beetle infestation in Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota. Lots of the mountain sides are baron from having to cut the trees down to keep the beetle form migrating to different areas.
In some sections yes. But it appeared the dead trees were more from forest fires than beetle kill. There are some areas where the lodgepole pine has already regenerated and its beautiful. A perfect example of nature at work. The worst current fires are in the south. The road to Jackson is closed. Smaller fires both North and West though. Area looked really dry.
Old 08-28-16, 06:13 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked 836 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe View Post
In some sections yes. But it appeared the dead trees were more from forest fires than beetle kill. There are some areas where the lodgepole pine has already regenerated and its beautiful. A perfect example of nature at work. The worst current fires are in the south. The road to Jackson is closed. Smaller fires both North and West though. Area looked really dry.
That sounds pretty much the same as last year. Yosemite has similar issues, but quite a few dead or distressed trees.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069