Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My butt hurts

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My butt hurts

Old 08-30-16, 06:31 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
Bought a Chinese saddle with the old-fashioned coils at the rear. It was real soft. Was also uncomfortable after a couple of miles. Put the old one back on again. Waste of £7. . .(shrug)
So if you paid to go to some university to gain that same education would that have been a waste?
Old 08-30-16, 07:05 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I used to have pretty good luck with WTB Rocket V Race saddles on two bikes.
Since switching to the recumbent side of life, it's a non-issue.
Old 08-30-16, 09:18 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
I used to have pretty good luck with WTB Rocket V Race saddles on two bikes.
Since switching to the recumbent side of life, it's a non-issue.
I was a Brooks guy before switching to the enlightened side but nobody liked hearing that suggestion either.
Old 08-31-16, 03:29 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by David713
I would like to thank everyone for their time. I believe all these answers hold good information. I will try the break-in period and advoid the thicker more cushioned saddles. Thank you again
gathering from your initial post, new 2017 bike, that maybe you haven't ridden this type of bike/saddle in a while...
then
there is a break-in period for your ass, and it varies usually from 3 to 6 wks - if you ride at least 3 - 4x a wk. take time off for more than a day or 2 and it's Groundhog all over again (yogi-ism ? almost).
worst period is usually the 3rd ride thru the 10th, then it slowly starts geting better as your sitzbones toughen up.
if after that period you're still feeling your bum is busted, then doing the search for the holy grail will prolly ensue... (break out the coconuts...)
Old 08-31-16, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perfect

Originally Posted by cyclezen
gathering from your initial post, new 2017 bike, that maybe you haven't ridden this type of bike/saddle in a while...
then
there is a break-in period for your ass, and it varies usually from 3 to 6 wks - if you ride at least 3 - 4x a wk. take time off for more than a day or 2 and it's Groundhog all over again (yogi-ism ? almost).
worst period is usually the 3rd ride thru the 10th, then it slowly starts geting better as your sitzbones toughen up.
if after that period you're still feeling your bum is busted, then doing the search for the holy grail will prolly ensue... (break out the coconuts...)
Thanks for the advice. Your response seems to be the sound. I am on day 5 on the saddle and there seems to be less pain. Again thanks
David
Old 08-31-16, 05:59 PM

Bikes: Trek 520, Bianchi Volpe and too many more to name

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can't promise it would work for you, but the day I switched from my Specialized saddles to the Brooks leather saddle was the day my saddle pain and sores disappeared and haven't been seen since. I mean right out of the box. Didn't have any of the break-in period that many with Brooks saddles speak of.
Old 08-31-16, 06:08 PM

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by redbagsrambler
Can't promise it would work for you, but the day I switched from my Specialized saddles to the Brooks leather saddle was the day my saddle pain and sores disappeared and haven't been seen since. I mean right out of the box. Didn't have any of the break-in period that many with Brooks saddles speak of.
Interesting. I too rode the better part of a year with the original Specialized saddle. Read some threads about firm vs softer saddles. At first thought yeah, right. Makes no sense. Finally tried a Brooks, very happy now.
Old 09-01-16, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Primer on butt pain:
When you sit on a saddle, the tissue between your bones and the saddle gets compressed. This reduces circulation and thus decreases available oxygen in that tissue, which causes pain. However we're adaptable! Over time, said tissue gets used to the lower oxygen levels and pain goes away.

The best way to adapt is to ride 1/2 hour every day for a couple of weeks. Then gradually increase the time spent in the saddle. Tissue adapts more quickly to a schedule like this because it's never low on oxygen long enough to cause damage, yet the deprivation is sufficient to cause adaptation.

Softer saddles are worse because you sink in further, thus a larger volume of tissue is involved and particularly a larger area of tissue. Thus blood has more trouble getting to where it's needed and adaptation takes longer or does not happen.

All that said, saddle width is very important. One will not adapt to a saddle which is the wrong width, especially if it is too narrow. Your LBS can measure your sitbone width and suggest a different saddle if necessary.
This makes a lot of sense to me for the OP and myself - I've been having the same trouble and I've noticed if I raise my but off the saddle for a couple seconds the pain goes away for awhile. Thank you.
Old 09-01-16, 08:20 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by sharpywarpy
This makes a lot of sense to me for the OP and myself - I've been having the same trouble and I've noticed if I raise my but off the saddle for a couple seconds the pain goes away for awhile. Thank you.
On long rides, I make a point of getting out of the saddle for about 45 seconds every 10 minutes. I stay up until my butt feels the blood flow.
Old 09-01-16, 08:43 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Another saddle thread,,

You got a carbon Hybrid https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...rbon-x1/106975

Yea the Above get off the saddle.. More often

try more saddles . Berthoud or Brooks Leather will conform to your bone structure you sit on

Fizik and Ergon are premium synthetic (and there are a thousand others)

Maybe one called "Mountain" rather than road? Got the bars from that style

(I still have a Brooks I use , bought in the 70's, they last for generations, if well cared for)

./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-08-16 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-01-16, 08:53 AM

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 79 Posts
I have three of these. I will never use anything else. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/co...FYpkhgodxQMPmQ
Old 09-08-16, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get this when Im just sat on the computer too long
Old 09-08-16, 12:20 PM

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
I recommend reading 'Four and a half rules of road saddle', especially if you think a softer one will help.

Also, if you roll your pelvis forward (which is better for your back) instead of bending your back to reach the bars, you're probably riding on pubic rami, not the ischial tuberosities, and sitbone width measured in shops is a secondary consideration, if a consideration at all.
Old 09-08-16, 12:46 PM
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sommehill
I get this when Im just sat on the computer too long
not the same thing
Old 09-08-16, 02:01 PM

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
In the old days I thought Brooks saddles were outdated, what with steel rails and big copper rivets and all. Avocet touring saddle seemed to fit the bill for my mountain biking. Then one day I decided to build a road-bike. Along with vintage Campy running gear resurrected from the shop junk pile, I found a narrow brooks and decided to put it on a crashed Trek 420(??) that had a kinked downtube. Sleeved and brazed the frame back together and voila! A decent road bike for the south Spokane hills.

That Brooks saddle was the most comfortable I've ever ridden on. Now looking for another one broken in. And an early 80's Trek 850. My Cannondale just has no soul.
Old 09-08-16, 02:30 PM

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Trek 4500

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
I recommend reading 'Four and a half rules of road saddle', especially if you think a softer one will help.
Here: https://www.cervelo.com/en/engineerin...-saddles-.html
Old 09-08-16, 02:43 PM
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
If you are considering a new saddle as a remedy, make one of these before you head out to buy one. Get a cleam piece of cardboard. Set it on a stair. Sit on it straight for a few minutes. Take a crayon or piece of chalk and usining the side, rub it across the cardboard. Measure from the center of each depression in cm's. This maps where your sitz bones (ischial tuberosities) are and get a saddle that supports them. I did and it really helped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2247.jpg (95.2 KB, 105 views)
Old 09-10-16, 08:56 PM
El Gato

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail Disc, Schwinn Hurricane (old)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just to add some perspective, my first Specialized seat was (literally) a pain. I don't really buy fully into the "your butt has to get used to it" idea--yes, you do need to get used to any saddle, but forcing yourself to use an improperly fit, uncomfortable saddle is not how things should be "toughened up." The LBS I bought the bike at even told me I needed to get "toughened up" on that first saddle; my discomfort proved otherwise. I went through two other Specialized saddles that hurt differently; the last one I returned to the store after less than a week, calling it a "torture device." Sad thing is, the second Specialized saddle I had (the Milano) was still painful and I kept it long after I could have returned it. Any other Specialized saddle at the LBS were variations on the torture devices I had already tried.

I then purchased another saddle--a Selle SMP TRK, and I can feel a huge difference. In the three Specialized seats, the pain was (to put it simply) in specific "points" on my posterior. With this current seat, I now feel that my weight is being equally supported front to back--it is shaped to fit the "sit bones" in the pelvis. Once I got used to that saddle, I found I could ride with minimal discomfort, and instead I would just get an overall soreness from fatigue (and only after what I considered a *lot* of miles), not specific spots that were too tender to sit on after five or ten miles. I only got the less expensive model. Would I do better with another size or shape from the same company? I'm sure I could.

My take on it? It's a matter of finding a seat that is comfortable and fits well and then getting used to it. This particular brand and model works for me. The others (despite what anyone else said) were failures for me. And forcing myself to ride and get used to them only caused growing pain with each passing ride.
Old 09-11-16, 03:56 PM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
OP,,
My 'Sit Bones' are 138 mm apart.
I ride different saddles,
One Is the ISM Peak Adamo, only made In ONE width,,fits me perfectly due to design..

On my new Cross bike, the Factory Paradigm, the lowest end of that line fits me perfectly due to design, It just happened to be the exact width to support my 'Sit Bones' correctly.

Neither one of these saddles is what you'd call soft,,Soft Is not always wise. Firm Is needed especially for us old farts..

Get your sit bone separation distance measured and get the right width. I can comfortably use all three saddle positions due to a proper fit. ISM does a try before you buy thing btw.

A good well stocked Local bike shop should have several you can try.

I choose not to ride In pain, You should also but remember,, 'Velominati The Keepers Of the Cog' Rule #5
https://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Last edited by osco53; 09-11-16 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-11-16, 04:54 PM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
As some have mentioned- try adjusting angle an fore/aft by really small increments. It can help. I am not sure that it can be night and day, but it is worth a shot.

Someone mentioned the SMP line of saddles. I know a few riders wha have them are rave about them. For those Brooks fans- on a road bike are you using the standard B17 or one of the racier narrower models?
Old 09-11-16, 05:18 PM

Location: Milwaukee-Chicago (Last stop on the North Shore Metra Line)

Bikes: 1975 Fuji 'The Finest', 1975 Fuji Super Road Racer S10-S,1980 SR 10-Speed, 1980 Fuji Newest, 1984 Araya 14-Speed, 1985 Bridgestone 500, 1986 Fuji 'Sekkei Series', 1995 Gary Fisher Kaitai MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
I'm 71 and have a Selle Anatomica X series on both of my bikes.
Agreed. Have five road riders and use Selle Anatomica X series on them all. I'm 58 and ride on average 100 miles per week. No butt issues!
Old 09-11-16, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Spam: I have a new Selle SMP Martin Gel in the for sale section.
Old 09-11-16, 08:43 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts
Lots of stuff to play with before switching saddles:

Saddle fore-aft (mostly magic getting this right, unless you subscribe to the plumb-bob method)
Saddle tilt (if constantly sliding forward, tilt up; if experiencing numbness, tilt back)
Saddle height (rocking hips may be good on the dance floor, but are bad for your bum on the bike)
Stem length (affects both weight distribution and sitting angle)
Handlebar height (ditto)
Cadence (both too low and too high can cause issues)
Pedaling technique (smooth is good. Are you bouncing?)
Foot retention (stable footing is good)

That's eight variables;have fun with that experiment

Also I'm assuming you're not doing anything silly like riding with an extra 2 pounds on your butt i.e. a hydration pack with a liter of water.
Old 09-11-16, 09:18 PM

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by David713
To all tender bottom riders,
2017 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Expert X1
I just purchased the above mentioned bike. Rides great, however the seat feels like a rock under my ischiums. I am 50 and do not possess the muscle mass I once had to cushion my bones. Any recommendations on a better, softer saddle would be greatly appreciated. Not looking for the big cruiser Style do saddle. I am riding about 100 miles a week.
Thanks in advance for any help.
62 and have the same saddle, no problems. Just rode 50 mi today on it and average over 100 mi/week. Either toughen it up, or get another saddle. I think this saddle is already pretty soft - I would not go softer if you want to ride any distance.

Last edited by GeneO; 09-11-16 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 05:52 AM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Something to consider David,,

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Primer on butt pain:
When you sit on a saddle, the tissue between your bones and the saddle gets compressed. This reduces circulation and thus decreases available oxygen in that tissue, which causes pain.

However we're adaptable! Over time, said tissue gets used to the lower oxygen levels and pain goes away.
The top part, that was me until I got a modern saddle designed to eliminate this pain and possible permanent damage.

In My case, the second part, the pain never went away..

Until I got a modern saddle, My Mountain bike has the ISM peak Adamo. My Cross bike will soon get the ISM PL 1.1

Read the science here:
ISM

They have a try BEFORE you buy program !
Pay attention to the set up video's as this seat mounts very different from a traditional nosed pain giver

My cross bike's stock seat was great until I rode farther than 20 miles and the winds picked up making me need to ride In the drops for more than a mile. Once In the drops the pain and numbness returned.
I moved my mountain bike's Adamo to the Cross bike, tucked down In the drops,, mile after mile, no pain, nothing, zip, nada.

You don't ride these saddles like the nosed saddles, the width of the front is not an Issue, explained In the video's on the site.

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:33 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.