Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My butt hurts

Old 08-27-16, 02:26 PM
David713

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My butt hurts

To all tender bottom riders,
2017 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Expert X1
I just purchased the above mentioned bike. Rides great, however the seat feels like a rock under my ischiums. I am 50 and do not possess the muscle mass I once had to cushion my bones. Any recommendations on a better, softer saddle would be greatly appreciated. Not looking for the big cruiser Style do saddle. I am riding about 100 miles a week.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-27-16, 02:29 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What saddle does it now have?

Guessing you need to toughen up your butt.

Try some other saddles.

Took me 47,000 miles to find the perfect saddle.

You are still young and have the time to try some.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 08-27-16 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-27-16, 02:46 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 8515 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 64 Posts
Often it takes some longer rides... say a few 50 mile rides to get used to a saddle. Don't be too quick to judge the saddle, but don't injure yourself either.

I find I can get used to just about anything, although I'm getting a bit picky about certain styles. I currently have been riding a Carbon Fiber saddle on my road bike which is like sitting on concrete (but not necessarily uncomfortable).

That bike is out of commission for a couple of days, so back to the old bike with the well worn Fizik saddle... fits like an old glove
Old 08-27-16, 02:48 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 71 and have a Selle Anatomica X series on both of my bikes.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-27-16, 03:31 PM
hyegeek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some saddles just don't work for some people. A few years ago, 9 miles into my 20 mile ride home on my new trek sawyer, the only thing I could think about was taking the bike back and having them put the saddle from my specialized onto my sawyer.

At 100 miles a week, if you are riding 5 or 6 days a week, you should not be running into trouble on a saddle that will work for you. It is unlikely that toughening up will help. If you are doing 40 miles a day and are uncomfortable, you might look into better shorts. Other than that, a visit to one of your LBS that has the proper equipment to test for pressure points etc. could be worth the investment.

At 52, I just got back from a 4 day bike trip where we did 60 and 70 mile days. With my specialized (riva?) saddle and good fitting shorts, I was comfortable enough until the end of the last day. That probably had more to do with heat and number of hours on the saddle than anything that was actually wrong.
Old 08-27-16, 03:35 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Try a bunch - only your bottomside can speak authoritarily.
Measure the space between your sitbones and see how that fits with saddles you can hold at your LBS.

I ride a variety of saddles, suspended leather (Brooks, Ideal, Belt, others) + newer styles (Selle SMP, Flite, others). if riding 100mi/wk you should be honing in on a good fit pretty quickly. One sure solution (I always recommend) is to vary the style of your riding so that you spend less time fully seated (weighted) on that saddle. Makes the ride more varied and interesting, IMHO.
70sFollis 072/71 Bottecchia Giro d Italia/72 Zeus Competition/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/84 Pinarello Record/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/88 Falcon Race/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico: The less ridden = '97 CoMotion tandem + city bike, mtn bike, beach cruiser
Old 08-27-16, 03:35 PM
mike.b

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have your bike shop measure your butt. Your current saddle might not be wide enough. Specialized has a bunch of highly regarded saddles. I'm currently riding a Specialized Henge Comp. It's way better than the seat that came with my bike.

mike
Old 08-27-16, 04:56 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
I've never quite found a saddle that fit really well right out of the box. Being a compulsive tinkerer, I customize my saddles. This can take a few weeks to get it right. Generally, saddles have too much padding and I end up removing some of it. The up side is I end up with a fair idea of what shape will work for me.
Old 08-27-16, 05:37 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The compression of the soft tissue between the skin and bone does cause damage and pain. Sometimes a different saddle will spread the load enough to make a difference, but a surer solution is to reduce the pressure by putting more power into the pedals. Don't sit like a sack of potatoes, ride harder. That may mean shorter rides while you normalize to less saddle weight, but that's the price you pay for comfort.
Old 08-27-16, 05:53 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 28 Posts
Primer on butt pain:
When you sit on a saddle, the tissue between your bones and the saddle gets compressed. This reduces circulation and thus decreases available oxygen in that tissue, which causes pain. However we're adaptable! Over time, said tissue gets used to the lower oxygen levels and pain goes away.

The best way to adapt is to ride 1/2 hour every day for a couple of weeks. Then gradually increase the time spent in the saddle. Tissue adapts more quickly to a schedule like this because it's never low on oxygen long enough to cause damage, yet the deprivation is sufficient to cause adaptation.

Softer saddles are worse because you sink in further, thus a larger volume of tissue is involved and particularly a larger area of tissue. Thus blood has more trouble getting to where it's needed and adaptation takes longer or does not happen.

All that said, saddle width is very important. One will not adapt to a saddle which is the wrong width, especially if it is too narrow. Your LBS can measure your sitbone width and suggest a different saddle if necessary.
Old 08-27-16, 06:19 PM
johnu 

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been playing musical seats, Firm foam is the key.

Last edited by johnu; 08-27-16 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-27-16, 08:33 PM
David713

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to thank everyone for their time. I believe all these answers hold good information. I will try the break-in period and advoid the thicker more cushioned saddles. Thank you again
Old 08-27-16, 08:48 PM
Jim Luke

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just this week, I switched to a recumbent due to continued discomfort.

However, I am sure that you will soon adjust to the new saddle. I have several issues that forced the issue for me.
Old 08-28-16, 06:30 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I ride a recumbent. My butt does not hurt.
Old 08-28-16, 02:44 PM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate to say this but 100 mils a week is not a lot of milage to toughen up the butt . You need to ride 100 miles 3-4 times a week to get your butt used to the saddle .
Old 08-28-16, 03:58 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by David713 View Post
I am 50 and do not possess the muscle mass I once had to cushion my bones.
That's odd. I'm 51 and my ass is growing muscle. My weight is down but my pants are getting tighter in the tuchus. I attribute it to my "summer of sur la plaque".

Can't help with seat recommendations. I have hard seats but no butt pain. When I first started riding I had a lot of pain, but riding toughened my ass.
Old 08-28-16, 06:29 PM
rob214

Bikes: 2016 giant stance 1, 2017 giant TCR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
i'm new so take this for what it is. only been riding for a few weeks, my bottom doesn't hurt until about 30 miles. i have two brand new pairs of shorts, i don't like the really thick chamois shorts. but my thought is don't forget to try different types of shorts and make sure their not worn out improper fitting shorts can hurt as well.
Old 08-29-16, 05:55 AM
clifftaylor

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It may be worth considering your position - dropping the bars by 1cm wil redistribute your weight from back to front; I was having saddle issues until I resolved the matter by doing just this.
Old 08-29-16, 08:42 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why did I suddenly think up a contraption to help with this? A belt mounted clockwork mechanism with two hammers to constantly pound one's ischial tuberosities and toughen 'em up. It would be called, of course, the Bumm Buffer!

On a more practical note, in addition to finding just the right saddle for your taste, and riding enough miles to acclimatize one's gluteal regions to the saddle, one should give one's posterior a break by riding out of the saddle for a while during longer rides, and riding "sort of seated" with most of your weight poised on the pedals...
Old 08-29-16, 08:44 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by clifftaylor View Post
It may be worth considering your position - dropping the bars by 1cm wil redistribute your weight from back to front; I was having saddle issues until I resolved the matter by doing just this.
Yes, weight distribution makes a difference. In addition to handlebar height, David713 may want to experiment with saddle fore-aft position and tilt.

I sort of feel your pain, because I am breaking in a brand new Brooks Pro. The last time I did this was in 1973, and that saddle served me well for at least 50k miles. Time for another coat of Proofide on the underside of the saddle.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-29-16, 08:54 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Merlin Ti

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What shorts/bibs are you using? How old are they? Do you have enough for a rotation or are you wearing the same shorts day after day?
Saddles are difficult to suggest as our butts are all different. Sometimes saddles that are advertised as super comfortable are just heavily padded and may feel great for awhile but once that padding is compressed it may not be so comfortable.
Old 08-30-16, 08:50 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH View Post
I'm 71 and have a Selle Anatomica X series on both of my bikes.
I totally agree with RonH on this. My Selle Anatonica was very comfortable the first time I tried it and it continues to be comfortable 15,000+ miles later.

I've ridden dozens of double-centuries on this saddle and any day I can ride 200 miles in a day and not feel any butt/perineum pain is a good day indeed!

Rick / OCRR
Old 08-30-16, 01:32 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bought a Chinese saddle with the old-fashioned coils at the rear. It was real soft. Was also uncomfortable after a couple of miles. Put the old one back on again. Waste of £7. . .(shrug)
Old 08-30-16, 01:49 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum View Post
Why did I suddenly think up a contraption to help with this? A belt mounted clockwork mechanism with two hammers to constantly pound one's ischial tuberosities and toughen 'em up. It would be called, of course, the Bumm Buffer!.
I'm thinking that if you were to use it whenever you sat in front of the computer posting on BF, it would encourage you to ride more. Problem solved!
Old 08-30-16, 05:23 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've had good luck with Specialized saddles, although as you can see everyone has their own preference, and their own butt of course.
I'm not sure which saddle comes with the Sirrus, but since you presumably got the bike from a Specialized dealer, they should be able to measure you for one of their saddles. You sit on a gel thing about the size of a loaf of bread and they measure the imprint.
FWIW I like the Romin for a more aggressive position, and the flatter Phenom for a slightly more upright position. I also have an entry level Toupe, which is a literal PITA after about ten or fifteen miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.