Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I am tired of falling over... Seriously

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-16, 03:19 PM
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts

I am sick and tired of falling over. I feel ridiculous writing this, but it's true.
I NEVER used to fall over. Crash, yes. Fall over, NO. (OK, I did, when I was learning to do track stands.Not the same at all.)

Since I started riding again:

The first time, as I was running out of gas going up a hill, I reached down for my toe strap, and oops, no strap. Too late, bang, over I go...NOS Concor saddle back edge torn and a bloody palm. Guess which bothered me more.

Second time, I'm calmly waiting for my 9yr old daughter on a cinder bike path, with one foot down. I turn my head to look over my shoulder to look back. I look over the other shoulder-wrong way, I overbalance , can't release from the toe clips and tip over slowly, off the center of the bike path, and down an embankment, scaring my daughter out of her wits.

There have been a few more, at the cost of damaged and destroyed saddles, and more scrapes and bruises.

Yesterday I managed to break my finger (trying to protect my bike as I fell over). This time, I was climbing a steep hill having just run a short errand, ironically noticing how much stronger I felt going up this hill than 2 months ago, and BANG, I pull my wheel HARD onto the chainstay. Vintage bike. Non-vintage Roval skewers. Not meant for old style Campy parallel to the ground drop outs. When they slipped the wheel was totally locked.

Falling locked into toe clips at a traffic light is not the same... I've done that too, not recently, but when it happened, I was pretty balanced, it felt like slow motion, I got my hands out and all I lost was some skin on my palms, or damaged gloves, if I was wearing them.

These newer dang ZERO MPH falls hurt! They also have done way more damage to bikes and body than I imagined they would.

I think that my current 58 yr old core strength vs. my former skills and abilities are at the root of most of these falls. And I don't mean I'm trying to act like I'm still young. The problem is more subtle*. Dang it all!

Growing old ain't for sissies. (to use my grandmother's paraphrase of Bette Davis)

*Don't get me wrong, falling over on my bike, sometimes with an audience, THAT'S not subtle.

Yours in cycling,
Eric
Old 09-05-16, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
As a guy who is also still using clips and straps with slotted cleats, my advice is to quit tightening the straps. I only tighten them when making a serious competitive effort (or as much as I'm capable of).

Perhaps the problem is just getting the body & reflexes adapted to the body's capabilities? It takes time to re-develop the old reflexes and muscle memory.

Steve in Peoria
(and I was reminded by a 74 year old riding buddy that at 57 years of age, I'm not old yet. )
Old 09-05-16, 04:08 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Clipless is overrated.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-05-16, 04:08 PM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
At the risk of stating the obvious, clipless is much safer and quicker than a strap you have to bend down and loosen. Bet you already knew that.... Anyway, you probably are developing some balance issues, these things sneak up on us.
Old 09-05-16, 04:37 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
That's why I use the clips with no straps I posted above.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-05-16, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
As a guy who is also still using clips and straps with slotted cleats, my advice is to quit tightening the straps. I only tighten them when making a serious competitive effort (or as much as I'm capable of).

Perhaps the problem is just getting the body & reflexes adapted to the body's capabilities? It takes time to re-develop the old reflexes and muscle memory.

Steve in Peoria
(and I was reminded by a 74 year old riding buddy that at 57 years of age, I'm not old yet. )
x2 and x2
Old 09-05-16, 04:50 PM

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stop putting your hands down! If you just drop onto your shoulder and hip, you won't even get a bruise, and it'll keep all of the bike except perhaps the bars from hitting the ground.
Old 09-05-16, 04:55 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Go buy yourself a unicycle, learn to ride it, and add unicycle rides to your routine. It will improve core strength, balance, and bike handling skills. It's fun, to boot.
Old 09-05-16, 05:31 PM

Bikes: Tarmac, Merckx,TCX, Bridgestone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. I stopped counting my falls. I use clipless pedals and 'usually' can get unclipped but then my cleat gets caught in the pedal and I fall. Sometimes the cleat re-clips other times it just gets hung up. I do seem to have a problem unclipping; at times it seems like I'm trying to brake, watch for traffic and road hazards and unclip at the same time and it's though I can only manage 2 out of 3 things at any one time. All my falls have involved my cleats and clipless pedals and not some mechanical issue with my bike or road hazard. I am optimistic that I will eventually learn all the steps involved in unclipping. I think anticipation and/or forethought and learning where my crank arm needs to be will be my key to reducing falls but I also realize it's going to happen regardless and really only hope to increase the interval of time between falls. At least I haven't broken anything on me or the bike. I also bought some black nail polish/gel to cover the inevitable scratch.
Old 09-05-16, 05:47 PM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
The thing about clipless is it's best to do it the same way every time until it becomes muscle memory and you don't think about it. Unclip the same foot, same movement, same pedal position. I unclip my left foot, at the bottom of the pedal rotation, and with an authoritative outward motion of my heel. No thrashing around with multi release or tentative motions, just pop it out. Same way every time. Another thing to remember is that you rarely have to stop on a dime. Sometimes all it takes is one more pedal stoke to keep yourself upright long enough to unclip.
Old 09-05-16, 06:06 PM
Unavilable due to riding

Bikes: Nishiki Olympic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have toe straps and i dont get into my left because im afraid ill fall. I like the idea of not using the strap though!!
Old 09-05-16, 06:17 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
I pull my wheel HARD onto the chainstay. Vintage bike. Non-vintage Roval skewers. Not meant for old style Campy parallel to the ground drop outs. When they slipped the wheel was totally locked.
This has nothing to do with core strength or being old but with making a poor equipment choice.

COMPONENTS - Wheels, Hubs & Skewers - Quick Release Skewers - Bike Recyclery

-Tim-
Old 09-05-16, 08:33 PM

"I pull my wheel HARD onto the chainstay. Vintage bike. Non-vintage Roval skewers. Not meant for old style Campy parallel to the ground drop outs. When they slipped the wheel was totally locked."

QUOTE=TimothyH;19034770]This has nothing to do with core strength or being old but with making a poor equipment choice.

COMPONENTS - Wheels, Hubs & Skewers - Quick Release Skewers - Bike Recyclery

-Tim-[/QUOTE]

Dear Tim,

Thank you for clarifying part of my post. When I mounted the wheel I did not understand the implications of changes in skewer and drop out design, and thus made "a poor equipment choice."
I'm sure it was meant to be helpful.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Eric

Last edited by Last ride 76; 09-05-16 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-05-16, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Eric,

I had a simiar problem. A LBS put on a serrated washer on the drive side of the skewer and it stopped the slipping right away.
Old 09-05-16, 09:05 PM
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Have you considered an adult trike? They're a blast to ride too fast.
Old 09-05-16, 09:17 PM

I appreciate all the suggestions, commiseration and solutions posted. Many of them, I have been slowly incorporating into my riding. A big part of my frustration is that I keep finding new ways to Zero MPH fall.

As an ex-racer it took me a while to even consider riding unclipped. But I do. I have a beautiful bike without clips. I even have a set of half (mini) toeclips. But I like pedaling round. I like pulling up, when I climb out of the saddle.

I just don't like falling over. It happens a whole lot less, BTW. But yesterday I found a new way, and I was pretty steamed, breaking my darn finger was just adding injury to insult, if you know what I mean.

Thanks all and especially for the unicycle suggestion. I feel my abdominals clenching just thinking about it. (and my glutes).

Cheers,
Eric
Old 09-05-16, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Eric,

I had a simiar problem. A LBS put on a serrated washer on the drive side of the skewer and it stopped the slipping right away.

I used the "modern" Roval skewers because I don't have the originals, the wheels are Rovals, and they looked good.
What a simple solution. DOH!
Old 09-06-16, 07:09 AM

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
The thing about clipless is it's best to do it the same way every time until it becomes muscle memory and you don't think about it. Unclip the same foot, same movement, same pedal position. I unclip my left foot, at the bottom of the pedal rotation, and with an authoritative outward motion of my heel. No thrashing around with multi release or tentative motions, just pop it out. Same way every time. Another thing to remember is that you rarely have to stop on a dime. Sometimes all it takes is one more pedal stoke to keep yourself upright long enough to unclip.
^^This. I had a few of those zero speed, slow motion tip overs when I bought my first page of Look pedals back in the 80 's. I then spent time practicing unclipping until it became second nature. When I bought my new bike earlier this year I didn't hesitate to put on clip less pedals. I personally like the locked in feeling. I have them adjusted to my liking and I also practiced unclipping until I felt comfortable. Most of my riding is on country roads where I am able to ride for hours without having to stop, if I choose. In town is another story. I'm always aware of what's around me and ready to unclip if needed.
Old 09-06-16, 07:15 AM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I knew when I resumed cycling last year after a 30 year hiatus I wouldn't be using toe clips or clipless for awhile, if ever. A car wreck several years ago busted up my neck badly enough that I can't turn head normally without sudden pain and dizziness. Those sudden twinges can be distracting enough without also needing to worry about my feet being trapped in the pedals.

I've had a few low speed (and at least one no-speed) falls over the past year and always managed to break the fall by catching myself at least partially with one foot and rolling. Worst injury was a scraped forearm, shredded jersey and mostly embarrassment. It always seems to happen on the MUP in front of lollygagging people I'm trying to navigate around. I'll stub the wheel on the ledge between the paved path and grass or gravel and flop like a fish.

At 58, well... I ain't 28 anymore. And when you wrote "The first time, as I was running out of gas going up a hill..." it reminded me of one my self imposed rules, policies, practices, whatever: Never ride on a public street gassed. I do my hard workouts and climbs on a rural side road that sees very little traffic and has a wide shoulder that effectively serves as a safe bike path. There, I don't mind getting gassed. If I suddenly need to bail out from being winded, or experience a dizzy spell, there probably won't be anyone around to see or run over me. But I never push my limits on public streets or the MUP. Likewise, if I'm not feeling my best I'll avoid commuting on city streets when I'm not sure I can sprint. There's usually a safer, if longer, route to wherever I'm going.

I might eventually try toe clips again, or clipless, for controlled conditions such as event rides with traffic control. Maybe for some parts of the MUP and my favorite rural route. But I don't see myself ever returning to trapped feet for city riding. I know plenty of folks who do. I used to. But not anymore. Nobody can always predict the surroundings, or to fall exactly the right way every time. Especially not in the 55+ club. To quote Dirty Harry just before he blew up Hal Holbrook's character, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Old 09-06-16, 10:43 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Maybe time to put the Masi on the wall?

I ride clipless on almost every bike, but when out with others for a leisurely ride (like with a daughter or on a short errand) I take a bike with flat pedals. Besides, variety is the spice of life.

Any fall is no fun. Not to mention potentially very expensive, in several ways.
Old 09-06-16, 10:51 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Use these...

https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...alf-clips.html

Old 09-06-16, 10:51 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclridr4life
Have you considered an adult trike? They're a blast to ride too fast.

For god's sake, the man is riding classic vintage bikes. Such heresy is unthinkable.

edit: however, if the OP should consider such nonsense - what size bikes do you ride?

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-06-16 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-06-16, 11:00 AM

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I only use flat pedals for pave. Spd's for off road. What you are using seems not to be working. Try some mt spd's if you must be clipped in.
Old 09-06-16, 11:05 AM
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm using spiked platform pedals with Merrells on two bikes - they're the next best thing to velcro.
Raceface Atlas pedals on my CX bike with tall BB, and Blackspire El Gordos (narrow) on my low-BB Raleigh.

both of these are so thin, you have to lower your saddle.
You can also move your foot around on them.

On the third, I have Ale toe clips and stiff Binda straps - I ride that one in Mamnick Hibell touring shoes

These shoes look a lot better than they photograph, and they zip in and out past the straps.

My daughter also rides toe clips w/ Binda straps, and I just bought her a pair of NOS Dettos for her birthday

Last edited by bulldog1935; 09-06-16 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-06-16, 11:57 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Dear Tim,

Thank you for clarifying part of my post. When I mounted the wheel I did not understand the implications of changes in skewer and drop out design, and thus made "a poor equipment choice."
I'm sure it was meant to be helpful.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Eric

Hi Eric.

I reread my post and it was a bit brusque. Didn't mean to be. Sorry about that.

My point was, don't be too hard on yourself.

-Tim-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.