Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Elderly, thin skin and road rash??

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Elderly, thin skin and road rash??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-16, 03:09 PM

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
OK, so my attempt at humor didn't go as well as I planned.
I thought it was funny.
Old 09-22-16, 06:37 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So ....yeah... she's right. I get the occasional porfura...purple spots from blood coming through to the skin and my meds mean any cut or bleeding keeps on forever but whatever exercise you get is so beneficial compared to sitting around with your finger up your a... nose. Exercise is inherently dangerous. Walking can result in a fall and broken hip, cycling may result in scrapes or a car hitting you but IMHO getting out and getting good exercise is worth the risk and can be done safely if you want. Last week I was less than 20feet from a decent sized grizzly. I broke my clavicle miles and miles into the back country a few years ago. My wife would just roll her eyes at me getting scraped up even if I ended up in the hospital. I'd take some grief for whatever stupidity I did to end up scraped up but happily she'd tell me to suck it up and assume I'd be back riding "next week".
Old 09-22-16, 08:19 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
I'm 59 right now, and I notice some of my skin is thinning out a little. I wonder if the bruising sticking around longer isn't just because it's easier to see. I've recently taken up mountain biking more seriously, and that involves a certain amount of falling. I've gotten bruises but no abrasions from that. I think my butt is more sensitive than it used to be, I have trouble with saddle sores now that I didn't used to have. Just in the spring though. I took a hard fall 2 years ago, and it took forever for my hip to feel right again. That's the sort of thing I'm more worried about

Ya'll don't have to post any more road rash pictures, we know what it looks like
Old 09-23-16, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes, in my case, added years adds risk. My primary problem is balance which as I understand is common for older people. Hey look, considering the life I have led, I'm lucky. I've had a few years, after my retirement, to, among my other enjoyments, to buy and rebuild older bikes. Rode, then sold most of them. Great fun. It doesn't take great intellect or great wealth to enjoy certain things like working on and riding bikes. However now, with loss of strength and with balance problems, I'm faced with the probability of giving up biking altogether. In the past 3-4 years when I rode regularly, I have had numerous skin injuries. My main advice is. Care for your hands. Wear gloves that will protect them from skin loss and infections and wear a good helmet. Infection risk has gone up for me, maybe common among older folks. I'm 76 and still very active.
Old 09-23-16, 01:43 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Test ride a trike sometime.

Old 09-24-16, 11:50 AM

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am 74+ & I have the usual thin skin, slow healing and moderate balance problems.

1) I wear gloves whenever I ride, even around the block. Been doing that for 55 years after skinning the hell out of my right palm in a fall.
2) I am very careful about the risks I take. Bones break more easily, for instance.
3) I always wear a helmet. I sometimes joke that I put one on even when checking tire pressures.

You are not alone. You're just one of us now ;o)

Joe

BTW:
Our elderly brains are much more fragile that they were at, say, 40. Folks over 65 are twice as likely to fall and hit their head (the balance problem). Same folks are twice a likely to sustain a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) and twice as likely to die as a result --- be careful! --- JM
Old 09-24-16, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That will definitely be hard.

I'm the OP...... interesting discussion. We all have crash stories..... for me, my best is a wheel touch with over the bars, and 9 cracks in my pelvis and, worse for cycling, my sitz bones. Long recovery. But what I noticed is..... hardly any of us left cycling. Healed up and threw the leg over and up the road again. No denying we're showing age. But people here seem to adjust and pedal on. The hard part will be when it finally becomes a fact that we don't have a place out on the road anymore... or simply can no longer throw the leg over. For me, open road cycling for most of my adult life will end. That will definitely be hard.
Old 09-24-16, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode a Rans Tailwind for a year.....could never get used to being a little less tall than the tractor/trailer wheels whizzing by my face, or farm dogs figuring out which part of my level-to-their-jaws body to bite. Was wonderfully fast on sweeping descents!
Old 09-24-16, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Fellow
I'm the OP...... interesting discussion. We all have crash stories..... for me, my best is a wheel touch with over the bars, and 9 cracks in my pelvis and, worse for cycling, my sitz bones. Long recovery. But what I noticed is..... hardly any of us left cycling. Healed up and threw the leg over and up the road again. No denying we're showing age. But people here seem to adjust and pedal on. The hard part will be when it finally becomes a fact that we don't have a place out on the road anymore... or simply can no longer throw the leg over. For me, open road cycling for most of my adult life will end. That will definitely be hard.
I always claimed I'd quit riding when I forget where I parked my bike