Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Upcoming GAP Ride Questions

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-16, 04:44 AM

Bikes: 2013 Sisu Estavant Ti road bike, 2011 Jamis Supernova, 1994 Giant Sedonna, 2 1987 Miyata 615 GT's, 1970's all chrome Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will be doing a supported group ride of the GAP starting in Cumberland and riding to Pittsburg. We will be riding the first weekend of October doing the ride in three segments (3 consecutive days).

So I have a few questions for those of you that are familiar with the GAP.

1. I plan to take my Jamis Super Nova which currently has Continental Touring Plus 28mm tires. I see most recommend something at least 32mm. Should I consider jumping up a size or two in width? If so is there a better suited tire for the trail than the touring plus that won't break the bank? I need to ad that I am also a clydesdale at 250lb.

2. What are the average temp.s in that area lately? Mornings - Afternoons?

3. Are there any must see/do things that I should be aware of? I do have the GAP trail book that I have looked through. But It's always nice to hear from others that have ridden the trail on what their favorite sights were.

4. Anything specific I should make sure to bring? Like mentioned earlier this will be SAG supported and we will be staying in motels every night. So I will not have to carry everything with me. Wich leaves me some room for extras for the day if needed.

Any insight from your experiences would be greatly welcomed!

Last edited by Cheese Head; 09-18-16 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-19-16, 08:39 AM

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Weather Underground does a pretty long range forecast. Here's the link to Ohiopyle, PA, which is pretty close to the halfway point:

https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin...ohiopyle%2C+pa

The temps will be higher at both ends (Cumberland and Pittsburgh).

I'd bring sunscreen, a light rain jacket, a camera, and some snacks.

I enjoyed the vistas from near the Big Savage Tunnel, the views from the bridges over the Casselman and Yough rivers, and the ride over the Salisbury viaduct. Take some time to explore some of the trail towns and just relish being out in nature. Contemplate all of the history, from George Washington through the Gilded "Robber Baron" Age, the boom and bust of the timber, coal, and steel industries. Stop and look for small fossils near Rockwood.

Here's an article from the Pittsburgh newspaper with some insights about the trail: https://www.post-gazette.com/life/tra...s/201305260199

Enjoy your ride!

Last edited by Altair 4; 09-19-16 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-19-16, 09:37 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheese Head
I will be doing a supported group ride of the GAP starting in Cumberland and riding to Pittsburg. We will be riding the first weekend of October doing the ride in three segments (3 consecutive days).

So I have a few questions for those of you that are familiar with the GAP.

1. I plan to take my Jamis Super Nova which currently has Continental Touring Plus 28mm tires. I see most recommend something at least 32mm. Should I consider jumping up a size or two in width? If so is there a better suited tire for the trail than the touring plus that won't break the bank? I need to ad that I am also a clydesdale at 250lb.

Any insight from your experiences would be greatly welcomed!
What model year is your Supernova? Most likely a 700x35 would fit. A larger tire will be more stable and provide more flotation over soft gravel. You will also have greater ride comfort with a larger tire with approximately 75 psi than a 700x28 at 100 psi. At 250 lbs, a 700x28 is not going to be recommended.

These tires all have some type of tread or texture at the tire center. However, the construction and rubber compound provide for fast and supple performance on firm gravel.

X'PLOR USH | Clement Cycling, Cyclocross Tires, Adventure Tires, Mountain Bike Tires, Road Bike Tires

continental bicycle Sport CONTACT II

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-19-16 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-19-16, 03:21 PM

Bikes: 2013 Sisu Estavant Ti road bike, 2011 Jamis Supernova, 1994 Giant Sedonna, 2 1987 Miyata 615 GT's, 1970's all chrome Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
Weather Underground does a pretty long range forecast. Here's the link to Ohiopyle, PA, which is pretty close to the halfway point:

https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin...ohiopyle%2C+pa

The temps will be higher at both ends (Cumberland and Pittsburgh).

I'd bring sunscreen, a light rain jacket, a camera, and some snacks.

I enjoyed the vistas from near the Big Savage Tunnel, the views from the bridges over the Casselman and Yough rivers, and the ride over the Salisbury viaduct. Take some time to explore some of the trail towns and just relish being out in nature. Contemplate all of the history, from George Washington through the Gilded "Robber Baron" Age, the boom and bust of the timber, coal, and steel industries. Stop and look for small fossils near Rockwood.

Here's an article from the Pittsburgh newspaper with some insights about the trail: Top 10 highlights: Great Allegheny Passage bike trail | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Enjoy your ride!
Thank you for the reply. The article was very interesting!
Old 09-19-16, 03:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
What model year is your Supernova? Most likely a 700x35 would fit. A larger tire will be more stable and provide more flotation over soft gravel. You will also have greater ride comfort with a larger tire with approximately 75 psi than a 700x28 at 100 psi. At 250 lbs, a 700x28 is not going to be recommended.

These tires all have some type of tread or texture at the tire center. However, the construction and rubber compound provide for fast and supple performance on firm gravel.

X'PLOR USH | Clement Cycling, Cyclocross Tires, Adventure Tires, Mountain Bike Tires, Road Bike Tires

continental bicycle Sport CONTACT II
My supernova is a 2011 which came stock with 700 x 32c Vittoria Cross XG Pro's.

I have a pair of Panaracer Pasela PT's coming from Amazon in 35's. I had to get a few other things for the trip last night so I took a chance and ordered these. I have heard decent things about them. Do you think these will suffice?
Old 09-19-16, 03:59 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

I have The Panaracer Pasela on one of my bikes. It should be more-than sufficient, especially since it is new. Be sure to keep the tire near maximum inflation. The Pasela can have sidewall problems if air pressure is not maintained at a near-maximum level. How will you refill your tires during the trip?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 09-19-16, 04:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I have The Panaracer Pasela on one of my bikes. It should be more-than sufficient, especially since it is new. Be sure to keep the tire near maximum inflation. The Pasela can have sidewall problems if air pressure is not maintained at a near-maximum level. How will you refill your tires during the trip?
We have sag vans available at the beginning and end of each day. Or more if needed! I'll be sure to run them at or close to max.

Thanks!
Old 09-19-16, 06:37 PM
Have bike, will travel

We have sag vans available at the beginning and end of each day. Or more if needed! I'll be sure to run them at or close to max.

Thanks!
Have a great trip! Be sure to report back here, we like adventure cycling.
Old 09-19-16, 08:37 PM

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

I have a pair of Panaracer Pasela PT's coming from Amazon in 35's.
I rode the GAP on cheap, botom-rung 700x35 Kendas with absolutely no problems. One of our days had 5 hours of rain (ride on!) and they were fine and didn't cut into the crushed limestone surface. You'll be fine with the Paselas.
Old 09-25-16, 02:17 PM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I rode the GAP/C&O in June. The GAP is a fairly hard-packed surface and the 700x32-35 tires should be fine. The C&O is another story, as it can get quite muddy. A couple on our tour on a tandem road bike had some difficulties. I rode it on a Specialized Crosstrail with 700x38 tires and it was a great ride.

I don't envy your climb from Cumberland up to Big Savage, though; it's a lot more fun in the other direction! But once at the top it's a gentle downgrade all the way to Pittsburgh.
Old 09-26-16, 08:24 AM

The unusually warm weather Pittsburgh has been experiencing in mid September seems to have broken. Looks like Cumberland will have upper 60s on Friday and Saturday with rain on Friday and chance of rain on Saturday. Ohiopyle on Saturday and Sunday will have highs around 63 and lows around 50. Pittsburgh on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday with have highs around 70 and lows around 52. I'll stick with my suggestion of having a rain jacket, especially if your ride starts on Friday. Have fun!
Old 10-01-16, 04:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all,

I got the dates of the ride mixed up and we will be leaving this coming Thursday and riding Friday - Sunday. I took the Jamis out for a ride 2 weeks ago and found a horrible bb squeal. So I replaced the bearings in the bb30 and just got back from a ride. All is silent! Tomorrow I'm going for a 70 mile pre-ride on a crushed limestone trail in the area. Hopefully this will get me ready and see how the bike performs and if it needs any more work before we go.

Really getting excited for the ride. Can anyone tell me how/where I can expect cell reception? I am using Verizon.

Ride on!!
Old 10-02-16, 12:28 PM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Things to do and see....

At the end, if you go the whole way to Point State Park, you must cross over the Allegheny on the Fort Duquesne Bridge to the north side and visit Bicycle Heaven. Thousands of old bikes in there. Free admission.

Old 10-03-16, 08:32 AM

The long-range weather forecast looks promising!
Old 10-03-16, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts

Really getting excited for the ride. Can anyone tell me how/where I can expect cell reception? I am using Verizon.

When I rode it a few years ago I remember not having Verizon service on the trail around Rockwood. You had to go across the river into town. But generally, service was good.

If you are a movie fan, you can take a short detour to check out Buffalo Bob's house from the "Silence of the Lambs." It was on the market for a while and finally sold this summer:

Silence of the Lambs house finally sells - Curbed

IIRC, the address is 6 Circle Rd. in Layton, PA. Looks like Layton Rd. doesn't cross the GAP at grade so you would have to go this way:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16971283

Just north, in Whitsett, two kids--Mia and J.J.--had a lemonade stand by the trail. They might still be out there if you pass through on a weekend and the weather is nice. I bought an old school Mountain Dew from them, made with real sugar, not HFCS.
Old 10-03-16, 07:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
When I rode it a few years ago I remember not having Verizon service on the trail around Rockwood. You had to go across the river into town. But generally, service was good.

If you are a movie fan, you can take a short detour to check out Buffalo Bob's house from the "Silence of the Lambs." It was on the market for a while and finally sold this summer:

Silence of the Lambs house finally sells - Curbed

IIRC, the address is 6 Circle Rd. in Layton, PA. Looks like Layton Rd. doesn't cross the GAP at grade so you would have to go this way:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/16971283

Just north, in Whitsett, two kids--Mia and J.J.--had a lemonade stand by the trail. They might still be out there if you pass through on a weekend and the weather is nice. I bought an old school Mountain Dew from them, made with real sugar, not HFCS.
It's good to know reception should be decent. Thanks!

And thanks for the other info. I'll be looking for the lemonade stand.If I see them I'll be sure to stop and buy something if they are there and post some pic.s!

Just hoping for the rain to hold off!!
Old 10-03-16, 07:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
Things to do and see....

At the end, if you go the whole way to Point State Park, you must cross over the Allegheny on the Fort Duquesne Bridge to the north side and visit Bicycle Heaven. Thousands of old bikes in there. Free admission.

That is really cool. I will see if we have time to stop there. Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-04-16, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
And thanks for the other info. I'll be looking for the lemonade stand.If I see them I'll be sure to stop and buy something if they are there and post some pic.s!

Just hoping for the rain to hold off!!
Not looking good on the rain front for later in the weekend. I am supposed to go camping, paddling and hiking in N. Jersey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1397.jpg (98.7 KB, 49 views)
Old 10-04-16, 05:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Not looking good on the rain front for later in the weekend. I am supposed to go camping, paddling and hiking in N. Jersey.
Awesome pic!

From what I have been seeing it looks like Saturday has a chance of rain all day and Sunday rain early. Friday appears to be the only dry day. Either way will will make the most of the ride.
Old 10-11-16, 06:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I had a full ride recap all type out with pictures and lost the post. So I will try again. But before I give the recap I'll start with what everyone likes to see. Pictures!

Testing the link

Okay, I think I've tried every way I know to post the pictures. I have them downloaded to Shutterfly and tried posting the link but can't seem to get the pictures to show up. Any advice?

Last edited by Cheese Head; 10-11-16 at 06:33 AM.