Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Arm and Leg Warmers !

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Arm and Leg Warmers !

Old 09-25-16, 03:23 PM
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
Arm and Leg Warmers !

Well today I had to pull out the arm and leg warmers. It was a chilly 58 degrees with an 11-15 wind, and a few gust at 25+. Being that I'm more of a hot/humid rider, anything below 60 and I'm wearing cool weather gear.

When do others tend to use cooler weather cycling gear ?

Old 09-25-16, 04:05 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3305 Post(s)
Liked 2,143 Times in 1,210 Posts
53 here in western Long Island, rode at 8

Had a light polypro long sleeve top under a short sleeve bike jersey, leg warmers and light polypro gloves over my short fingered bike gloves. I was a touch cold till I warmed up, then once the sun warmed, off came the gloves, then off came the leggings after it got up to 63 or so.

I might have added a very light wind shell if I'd thought about how windy it got.
Old 09-25-16, 06:05 PM
sal

Bikes: Cannondale Sport Road 500, Motobecane Boris X5 fatbike Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3, Cannondale Topstone

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
55 F at 10 AM

I als got my arm warmers out this morning. My legs don't seem to get cold at 55. I wore a t-shirt with my jersey over that...my arm warmers and fingerless gloves. I did get out my wool socks. I hate cold feet.
Old 09-25-16, 06:13 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It has to be in the 40s before I change any of my riding gear from what I wear all spring, summer, and fall. And I live in Southern California. I look forward to a morning I can get up and it will be 50... and that won't be for another month, at least. I'm already seeing guys in cold weather kit (arm warmers, tights, etc.) and it will be in the mid 60s. I don't get it.
Old 09-25-16, 08:26 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
I know a 70something year young guy who wears full length riding pants and arm covers year 'round, partly for protection against the sun. Probably a good idea here in Texas. I've ridden with him in midsummer daytime and he hardly breaks a sweat and is a much stronger climber than I am. Works for him.

When the temp drops below 60 I'll add a sleeveless baselayer under my regular summer weight jersey. That's usually good enough down to 50F. And full finger Bontrager RXL thermal gloves -- they're fairly lightweight. My hands get cold long before anything else.

Below 70 if it's raining I'll wear the baselayer and thermal gloves, and at least carry a Shimano storm jacket. Helps with wind chill. I get sweaty in the storm jacket if the temp is above freezing, but it's warm and windproof.

Last winter the only days I wore anything other than shorts was when the temp dropped into the low 30s. I don't have any cycling leggings or long pants. Doesn't get cold enough often enough here. Might change my mind if I rode more often on chilly and wet days. Hypothermia from wet wind chill changes everything quickly.
Old 09-26-16, 06:53 AM
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
I see bicyclists around here in short sleeve shirts/jerseys in the 50 and below range. Not I - I generally wear arm warmers or a wind breaker below about 58F or so. I don't use leg warmers until below about 50F. Wind plays a factor in my decisions as does sunshine. I find that - as I am in upper 70's approaching 80 - I tend to be colder
Old 09-26-16, 09:55 AM

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
It has to be in the 40s before I change any of my riding gear from what I wear all spring, summer, and fall. And I live in Southern California. I look forward to a morning I can get up and it will be 50... and that won't be for another month, at least. I'm already seeing guys in cold weather kit (arm warmers, tights, etc.) and it will be in the mid 60s. I don't get it.
You're not the only one. I don't get it either. I can understand people in Florida or Texas thinking it's cold below 60.

Here in PA, 60 is not cold. I'm shorts and t-shirt down to 50. From 50 to around 40 I have a non-cotton long sleeve shirt I wear. Below 40 I have long jogging pants, but they are really loose and don't work well on the bike. I have a jacket that is more like a windbreaker type jacket that I add at around 45. Below 45, now it's getting cold. I'll go with adding something fleece at that point and full finger gloves at around 40. Below 40, I don't like to ride, though I've done down to 35 with the long sleeve non-cotton, fleece, and windbreaker jacket with full finger gloves. I'm still wearing just the jogging pants down to 35.
Old 09-27-16, 09:56 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 61 Posts
Yesterday, the temperature was 58 degrees on the coast, and cold wind (of course). I wear leg warmers below 60 degrees, and usually arm warmers too. The arm warmers are easily removed, and stowed in my jersey pocket if needed. I love my Craft arm/leg warmers - very comfortable......
Old 09-27-16, 04:06 PM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
It was 50 here this morning and I wore a basic Canari bike jacket over a lightweight long-sleeve jersey, and put on knee warmers and full-finger gloves as well (I have a touch of Reynaud's where my hands are particularly affected in cold weather). By the time we made our coffee stop it was mid-50s and I took off the warmers. I would have taken the jacket off as well except that the breeze really kicked up and the jacket made a nice windbreaker for the trip back.

By the way, I also bought a set of those lightweight "sunsleeves" this summer and they really do work to keep your arms cooler than if they were bare. They shield you from the direct radiant heat of the sun and help wick sweat off your arms. Plus, you don't have to mess with the sunscreen.

Last edited by DougG; 09-27-16 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-27-16, 06:53 PM

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Been fighting chronic iron deficiency for years so I'm always cold - it has to be about 80 before it's just a jersey and shorts. 70 is 2 layers, 60 is 3 etc.

Even when I'm hot I can feel like I'm freezing - especially if I sweat at all and have cooling from evaporation.

I have difficulty judging what it will feel like at times / I've probably made a couple of dozen stops at stored on long rides to buy an extra hoodie, jacket, whatever layer I could find to warm up.

Last edited by DaveQ24; 09-27-16 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-27-16, 09:44 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3915 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 1,402 Posts
I ride year-round in the PNW. It gets both cool and fairly hot. Usually it gets warmer as the day gets on. If it's below 55 in the morning, I start in arm warmers or sun sleeves, shorts, leg warmers, light SS poly T, SS jersey, and short finger gloves. Mid ride, I'll take off the leg and arm warmers, but not the sun sleeves. I don't think it's a sign of being a super rider to ride bare-legged in the cold.

Since the weather here may vary between 36 and pouring rain to 100 and sunny, and everything in between, I have a spreadsheet going back years which shows what I wore in various weather conditions and how that worked out. You want to know what I wore when it was 48 and raining? I can tell you, and probably give several different clothing combinations which worked. I think knowing in advance what is going to work for you in any particular weather condition is very helpful.
Old 09-27-16, 10:17 PM

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Well it was 52 and 15-20 mph winds when I left for work this morning. I had on a showers pass elite and cyling shorts. My legs usually don't get cold but they did this morning. I passed someone with leg and arm warmers and I thought "I sure do wish I had those leg warmers"
Old 09-28-16, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
It was 50 here this morning and I wore a basic Canari bike jacket over a lightweight long-sleeve jersey, and put on knee warmers and full-finger gloves as well (I have a touch of Reynaud's where my hands are particularly affected in cold weather). By the time we made our coffee stop it was mid-50s and I took off the warmers. I would have taken the jacket off as well except that the breeze really kicked up and the jacket made a nice windbreaker for the trip back.

By the way, I also bought a set of those lightweight "sunsleeves" this summer and they really do work to keep your arms cooler than if they were bare. They shield you from the direct radiant heat of the sun and help wick sweat off your arms. Plus, you don't have to mess with the sunscreen.
My beloved LBS is going out of business, and they had a sale on arm and leg warmers, so I bought a pair of each; I never used before. Now seems to be a perfect time of year, though I usually ride in the early cool mornings, when I would wear long tights and jersey.

That idea of wearing them for sunshade sounds like a good one since I don't like to deal with messy sunscreen either. It seems my arms receive much more sunlight than my legs, so I wouldn't wear the leg warmers in summer. I could even envision using both as an extra, but flexible layer for cold weather riding.

BTW, my sister lives in Rochester Hills, MI, and that's a nice, scenic and interesting place to ride. The sidewalks are really MUPS to me, and the roads aren't bad either.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-28-16 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-28-16, 06:23 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Leg warmers go on below 40. Arm warmers, long sleeved jerseys below 50.

Just ordered fluorescent yellow arm warmers for the winter.
Old 09-28-16, 09:25 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
That idea of wearing them for sunshade sounds like a good one since I don't like to deal with messy sunscreen either. It seems my arms receive much more sunlight than my legs, so I wouldn't wear the leg warmers in summer. I could even envision using both as an extra, but flexible layer for cold weather riding.
The summer arm covers are not like the ones you wear for warmth. They are made with a very light, breathable, unlined material in a reflective color like white or hi-vis yellow (Pearl Izumi makes them, also Performance Bike and REI). The ones you wear in colder temps would really be hot in summer!
Old 09-28-16, 04:57 PM

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Is there a reason to prefer arm warmers over a long sleeve layer?
Old 09-28-16, 05:06 PM

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bargeon
Is there a reason to prefer arm warmers over a long sleeve layer?
You can take the arm warmers off once you warm up.

I can't remember when I have to start putting on leg or arm warmers. It's still 80s and 90s here, and will be for some time. I tend to leave cold and return comfortable, so I only put on warm gear when it's unbearably cold.

I will wear some heavy wool socks before then, though.
Old 09-28-16, 09:21 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I have a couple pairs of arm warmers - with different fabrics. The one pair is a lighter fabric, perfect for that slightly chilly summer morning that will turn to hot blistering sun. They're good either way. The second pair is a heavier fabric and also more wind resistant - better for the longer chilly rides. Don't usually wear cycling pants until temperatures are below 50F. If it's raining it's a whole different story - best to stay home and wait for another day or until the sun comes out.
Old 11-17-16, 02:14 PM
Just born yesterday

Bikes: Giant TCR SL, Trek SuperFly 100

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold Weather Gear

I live in SoCal and I'm cold at 70 degrees. I ride my road bike most mornings before the sun comes up for an hour or so. In the fall/winter, I wear bib knickers--hard to find but very comfortable. I like to keep my head and hands warm so I'll wear heavier gloves (light ski gloves work great) and a cap. If its really cold--in the 30's--I'll wear a light balaclava. I always wear long sleeves or a light jacket below 60 degrees. I wear less if I ride the mtb.

If I am doing a longer ride--3 hours or more on a Saturday--I try to wear as little as possible and I'm ok to be cold for the first half hour. I like vests and arm warmers which can easily be stored in my jersey. Almost always wear a base layer under the jersey.

What do I wear in the rain? I don't even know what that is!
Old 11-17-16, 04:37 PM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
I live in Minnesota and I ride down to about zero fahrenheit and I've ridden as low as -10F. I'd have to say that below 60, a given temperature is not the same depending on dewpoint, altitude, wind and sunlight. My general rule of thumb is that if you're riding at night, the temp feels about 10F colder than a ride during the day at the same temperature - there is a significant benefit to solar radiation. Same thing with humidity. Altitude has a big impact too - riding in the mountains at 8000-10,000' and it's harder to get cold since the air is thinner and conducts less. So I have to make a judgment based on the weather at the time and location I'm going for a ride. I've been cold at 60 and I've been hot at 10F. There is a lot more to feeling cold than just the temp.

Also the clothing you wear has a huge impact on how warm you are. If it doesn't wick well, you get sweaty and then in short order you get cold. I've sort of settled on a flexible layering system that I had to spend a lot of time putting together to get it right. The best pieces of this for what most people would call cold riding (40 and below) entails a jacket I had Lou at Foxwear.net make for me that is lightweight NeoShell on the front and Lightweight Power Stretch on the back. The front breathes but is also largely windproof. The back breathes super well. Then I add my regular cycling bibs and jersey, over which I add a pair of light weight power stretch tights (also from Foxwear) when the temp drops. Power stretch is so wide range because it wicks so well that you really don't get cold or damp over a wide temperature range. The stuff is almost magical.

J.
Old 11-17-16, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I live in Minnesota and I ride down to about zero fahrenheit and I've ridden as low as -10F. I'd have to say that below 60, a given temperature is not the same depending on dewpoint, altitude, wind and sunlight. My general rule of thumb is that if you're riding at night, the temp feels about 10F colder than a ride during the day at the same temperature - there is a significant benefit to solar radiation. Same thing with humidity. Altitude has a big impact too - riding in the mountains at 8000-10,000' and it's harder to get cold since the air is thinner and conducts less. So I have to make a judgment based on the weather at the time and location I'm going for a ride. I've been cold at 60 and I've been hot at 10F. There is a lot more to feeling cold than just the temp.

Also the clothing you wear has a huge impact on how warm you are. If it doesn't wick well, you get sweaty and then in short order you get cold. I've sort of settled on a flexible layering system that I had to spend a lot of time putting together to get it right. The best pieces of this for what most people would call cold riding (40 and below) entails a jacket I had Lou at Foxwear.net make for me that is lightweight NeoShell on the front and Lightweight Power Stretch on the back. The front breathes but is also largely windproof. The back breathes super well. Then I add my regular cycling bibs and jersey, over which I add a pair of light weight power stretch tights (also from Foxwear) when the temp drops. Power stretch is so wide range because it wicks so well that you really don't get cold or damp over a wide temperature range. The stuff is almost magical.

J.

Interesting idea- not my experience.

Me: knees covered much below 60f.

Last edited by woodcraft; 11-17-16 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-17-16, 09:22 PM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Interesting idea- not my experience.

Me: knees covered much below 60f.
When I'm skiing out in the mountains, for a given temp compared to Minnesota, I have a lot less clothes on. All I can attribute it to is conduction cooling is less. When you take electronics to altitude say in an unpressurized aircraft, you often need a bigger heat sink for the same reason.

J.
Old 11-17-16, 09:33 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Depending on how long the ride is it's possible to be fine with less. Tomorrow is supposed to be mid-40's and I plan on shorts, maybe with leg warmers, compression T and long jersey, light gloves. But that's a commute which will take about 30-35 minutes. Longer than that, well in this case the sun will be up and I'd be fine, but longer in the same conditions I might want to add something or at least bring another layer along.

Generally I use arm warmers or long sleeved jerseys when the temps start getting around 60 but after adapting over the winter I start leaving them behind in the mid-50's. After particularly nasty winters a couple of years ago, 50 was short sleeve weather. So I guess it depends a lot on what we're used to.

Last edited by wphamilton; 11-17-16 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-17-16, 09:37 PM
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anyone use embrocation?
Old 11-17-16, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
When I'm skiing out in the mountains, for a given temp compared to Minnesota, I have a lot less clothes on. All I can attribute it to is conduction cooling is less. When you take electronics to altitude say in an unpressurized aircraft, you often need a bigger heat sink for the same reason.

J.

Yeah, I can see it.

Was thinking of wind chill, & how you can be warm from radiant heat

when the air temp is low, until the sun goes away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.