Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

road bike under $1k?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

road bike under $1k?

Old 09-26-16, 04:08 PM
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Just remembered the MASI Speciale Randonneur
Pretty good all-arounder for around $1000 if you can find a 2016 in your size.
Old 09-26-16, 04:12 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
You have experience with bicycles, not a noob; therefore, dabble in the used bike market. Best deals for someone who knows what they want & best fit.

Agree with steel frame, especially if used and one with clearance for the tires you want to run. Wheels and tires should be appropriate for your size. 28mm minimum or 32mm tires on sturdy rims with 32 spokes. Good wheels can be maintenance free for years for most riders - except for high mileage or bad roads conditions.

I would also agree about not getting caught up in petty discussion about: 105 vs Tiagra, or how many gears it has. Just get one with the gears to get you up the hills/mountains you will ride. Triple chainrings or a wide range cassette on a compact double will likely yield similar results.

Also recommended if possible. Try riding a road bike (from a friend, club member, or a one day rental) so you can feel the new position and how it affects your body. Then you will be better able to address issues before coming to the 'Buying Moment'. How tall a stem? Narrow or wide bars?

If you really begin to get into road cycling, the 1st roadie is never the last roadie. It's a progression for everyone. ATMO
Old 09-26-16, 04:43 PM

Bikes: Fuji, Focus,Felt. 20 more letters to go.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
Check out the bikes marketed as "endurance" road bikes: Giant Defy, Cannondale Synapse, Trek Domane, etc. I think most have a price point in your range, or not too much over.

These seem to have some of the characteristics you're looking for, a bit more upright, geometry for distance and comfort over speed, and lower gearing.
Old 09-26-16, 05:05 PM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by bargeon
Check out the bikes marketed as "endurance" road bikes: Giant Defy, Cannondale Synapse, Trek Domane, etc. I think most have a price point in your range, or not too much over.

These seem to have some of the characteristics you're looking for, a bit more upright, geometry for distance and comfort over speed, and lower gearing.
Cheapest Domane retails for $1,679, which is way over OP's budget, which is why I suggested the Trek 1.2. You might find a Cannondale Synapse for around $1,000, though.
Old 09-26-16, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
OP, look at Fuji aluminum bikes. Great bang for the buck. Though I have added an additional bike to my fleet, I still ride my Fuji regularly. It's within about 60 miles of having 26,000 miles on it since I started riding it in '07. No issues with it.
Old 09-26-16, 06:39 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked 2,991 Times in 1,848 Posts
Again, others may have different opinions, but if you don't have a lot of knowledge about bikes, I suggest that the OP ignore the supposedly great deals on mail order sites and visit some local LBS's. Great deals on "componentry' are nothing if the bike doesn't fit you and isn't the right geometry for your needs.

Also, if you are concerned about which bikes are right for your weight, the Clydesdale subforum may be very helpful.
Old 09-26-16, 07:01 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Ridley Fenix AL Shimano 105 Road Bike from Performance Bike $899.00

Ridley Fenix AL Shimano 105 Road Bike -- 2016 Performance Exclusive

Features:

Aluminum frame is lightweight and agile while the carbon fork dampens road vibration for comfort
Shimano 105 11-speed drivetrain is easy to use and supplies incredible precision at your fingertips
Low-spoke count and aero Alex Race 28 clinchers with Continental Ultra Sport II tires
4ZA brand components add comfort and dependability

Ridley Fenix AL Shimano 105 Road Bike -- 2016 Performance Exclusive
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-26-16 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-27-16, 10:58 AM

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
^ Another solid bike that Ridley is. Only minor beefs might be cheaper brakes and crankset and I'm in between the M and L top tube wise. But its another good aluminum rider. If the geometry is like their older CF Excalibur, then its a good all-day rider.
Old 09-27-16, 11:29 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Do some research, ride quite a few and take your time. Buy the one that "speaks to you."
Old 09-27-16, 11:55 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked 2,991 Times in 1,848 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
If you really begin to get into road cycling, the 1st roadie is never the last roadie. It's a progression for everyone. ATMO
+1. Many of us have traveled that road. And I think few of us wish we had just started with a better bike to begin with. I still love my less-expensive bikes, and I definitely find occasion to ride them all (well, except for the used mtb that I picked up for cheap to ride in the winter, that didn't work out and I need to get rid of it), and the progression from one to another was a great part of the journey.
Old 09-27-16, 12:23 PM

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
You have experience with bicycles, not a noob; therefore, dabble in the used bike market. Best deals for someone who knows what they want & best fit.

Agree with steel frame, especially if used and one with clearance for the tires you want to run. Wheels and tires should be appropriate for your size. 28mm minimum or 32mm tires on sturdy rims with 32 spokes. Good wheels can be maintenance free for years for most riders - except for high mileage or bad roads conditions.

I would also agree about not getting caught up in petty discussion about: 105 vs Tiagra, or how many gears it has. Just get one with the gears to get you up the hills/mountains you will ride. Triple chainrings or a wide range cassette on a compact double will likely yield similar results.

Also recommended if possible. Try riding a road bike (from a friend, club member, or a one day rental) so you can feel the new position and how it affects your body. Then you will be better able to address issues before coming to the 'Buying Moment'. How tall a stem? Narrow or wide bars?

Lots of good recommendations here.
+1 on used, if you can find one that fits you and your goals, and you're comfortable replacing wear items
+1 on 28mm tires MINIMUM (note that this rules out 3/4 of the bikes mentioned in this thread. This means no tight clearance road brake calipers - look for disc, cantilever, or long reach caliper brakes. Also, some disc-brake road bikes don't have clearance for 28mm tires.)
+1 on 32- or 36-spoke wheels (but most bikes come stock with disposable 24-spoke wheels because they look cool)
+1 on you'll buy more bikes in the future
Old 09-28-16, 09:34 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan

Buy a modest bike, ride and enjoy. Don't worry about the components. Yet.
Originally Posted by MinnMan
+1. Many of us have traveled that road. And I think few of us wish we had just started with a better bike to begin with. I still love my less-expensive bikes, and I definitely find occasion to ride them all (well, except for the used mtb that I picked up for cheap to ride in the winter, that didn't work out and I need to get rid of it), and the progression from one to another was a great part of the journey.
The n+X is true for me as well. If I think about my first bike I wonder why in the world I bought it. However, without that first bike I likely wouldn't have appreciated the incremental improvement in bike componentry either. It got me back into cycling. I also wouldn't hesitate buying a used bike for the first bike either. BUT as others have said, it has to fit, or don't buy it.
Old 09-29-16, 03:30 AM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
In general, I'd recommend a bike with an aluminum frame and a carbon fork. Specifically, I'd go with a Giant Contend 1. MSRP on that bike is $810, leaving you some room for other stuff in your budget. I work in an LBS that sells Giant and Specialized and I've built that bike, and it's solid.

If the OP lives where it's fairly flat, I'd also recommend swapping out the stock cassette for one with a narrower range.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-29-16, 09:32 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Good point. I happen to have a bike that would be great for you if it happened to fit and that I'd let go for around $400, but I'm way up here in Michigan. I'm sure there would be some in your area -- check it out on Craigslist.
Old 10-03-16, 08:53 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by American Euchre
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...specifications

Here's a really nice bike at $1050. Disc brakes, 10 speed tiagra. You can probably find it discounted a bit at a shop. No, it's not an internet brand.

And another at $1100.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...5-elite/115475

It should be pretty easy to find either at 10% off which gets you right at or slightly under $1K.
Thanks, I was looking at specific examples, I appreciate that.
Old 10-03-16, 09:29 PM

Bikes: e-bike and a steel framed roadie

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a 220#, 60+ guy, I ride a steel framed touring bike. for me, its exercise and load capacity. Its my daily commuter and I like to be able to haul my lunch, work clothes, and stop for a sixxer and have room to carry it home. In city riding I average 13mph. it works.
I would never advocate this bike for you. I have been riding for transportation for nearly 20 years. If, on a rare occasion, I need to trail ride, I have an old RockHopper c.1995, for faster road riding a Jamis cross bike with street rubber. No one bike will be the be all, end all. I would have 20 bikes if I had room and my wife wouldn't turn purple in the face. Get any bike that seems right, it will be a good place to start, but be careful. It may not be your only bike for long.
Old 10-10-16, 07:33 PM

Bikes: Giant Roam 3 Kona Esatto

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Jamis quest, Giant Defy, Trek 1.2, Kona Esatto. The only mod you might need to make is the back wheel, and that is an easy mod.
I've got an Esatto. Love it.tires are 28s so it's stable and handles great.
Old 10-11-16, 06:24 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
The used market has some excellent deals - craigslist. You'll definitely get more bang for your buck. You just have to be patient, and we're getting into the buyers market season. Good luck.....
Old 10-11-16, 06:58 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
IMO virtually any bike brand under $1000 will be just fine. Remember the name on it dont mean much. Many of the name brand bikes are built by the same asian countries, and then painted and labeled with what ever company ordered it.

Best advice that has been offered here is buy what ever one trips your trigger, since most of them are on year end sale now.