Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

road bike under $1k?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

road bike under $1k?

Old 09-26-16, 08:42 AM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
road bike under $1k?

Hi there
I have been riding steadily about 50 miles/week, 12-15 miles a pop. Mostly using my Gary Fisher Marlin outfitted with street tires. I also have a critical city bike that i used for commuting when i lived in another city. I would like to get a road bike. This bike would be used primarily for exercise, although I wouldn't mind getting into some longer distance touring or local races. I am 55, 6'1" and 265 lbs. Seems like there area lot of bikes out there in my price range, any recommendations?

Thanks

Barry
Old 09-26-16, 09:01 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3539 Post(s)
Liked 2,509 Times in 1,520 Posts
Entry level alloy bikes come in at under $1000 -pretty much every major brand has a road bike at that price point - Trek, Giant, Cannondale, and many more. They are all fine for entry level bikes. Visit a couple of LBS's and see what they have, and take a couple of test rides. Choose based on fit and on how well you are treated at the LBS. Don't listen to any BS about quality of frames or components - at that price point, they are all more or less adequate.
Old 09-26-16, 09:10 AM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
It's also the end of the season so you'll find a lot on sale. Just make sure the fit is right. Some shops will tell you its fine just to get the inventory out the door.
Old 09-26-16, 09:52 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1757 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 309 Posts
Originally Posted by frogbiscuit View Post
...I wouldn't mind getting into some longer distance touring or local races...
I don't think there's one bike under $1k that can do both of these things well.
Old 09-26-16, 10:03 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 143 Posts
Hi there
I have been riding steadily about 50 miles/week, 12-15 miles a pop. Mostly using my Gary Fisher Marlin outfitted with street tires. I also have a critical city bike that i used for commuting when i lived in another city. I would like to get a road bike. This bike would be used primarily for exercise, although I wouldn't mind getting into some longer distance touring or local races. I am 55, 6'1" and 265 lbs. Seems like there area lot of bikes out there in my price range, any recommendations?

Thanks

Barry
$1,000 road bike for primarily exercise? Yes, for sure. Maybe even some light touring and/or club or camping rides. But a $1,000 road bike to be used for touring and racing? That is a stretch.
Old 09-26-16, 10:07 AM
scrming

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would hit all the LBS's... there are some pretty good deals to be had right now! See what's on sale and don't be afraid to throw out an offer.
Old 09-26-16, 10:19 AM
frogbiscuit

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Cannondale Catalyst, Diamond Back Extreme TG, Schwinn Mesa Runner with an 88cc 2 stroke engine

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2 View Post
$1,000 road bike for primarily exercise? Yes, for sure. Maybe even some light touring and/or club or camping rides. But a $1,000 road bike to be used for touring and racing? That is a stretch.
Maybe racing wasn't the right word. More like club rides. Long distance for me isn't probably the same as anyone else. I doubt I would be doing any century rides, but I wouldn't count it out at some point. I'm not a small guy, I want a bike that's going to withstand the abuse of daily use and occasional touring or club ride.

Last edited by frogbiscuit; 09-26-16 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-26-16, 10:39 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Maybe racing wasn't the right word. More like club rides. Long distance for me isn't probably the same as anyone else. I doubt I would be doing any century rides, but I wouldn't count it out at some point. I'm not a small guy, I want a bike that's going to withstand the abuse of daily use and occasional touring or club ride.
Right. And you also didn't really mean "touring", which generally means a multi-day ride from place to place carrying some or all of your gear.

I $1k entry level road bike will suit you just fine. There are different geometries (race geometry, endurance geometry), etc. and you may not know which one suits you without trying a couple out. Also, depending on your anatomy and fitness, you may prefer a more upright geometry (i.e., bars at the same height or even higher than the saddle) or something more aggressive, with the bars below the saddle. Go shopping and find out, but make sure to shop a little before you decide.
Old 09-26-16, 10:51 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 3765 Post(s)
Liked 2,246 Times in 1,214 Posts
I suspect what you really want is a durable road bike for ~25 mile rides and charity events that'll be faster than your MTB or commuter. Trek Crossrip is a very popular bike, check that one out.
Old 09-26-16, 11:34 AM
MRT2

Jamis quest, Giant Defy, Trek 1.2, Kona Esatto. The only mod you might need to make is the back wheel, and that is an easy mod.
Old 09-26-16, 11:35 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
I suspect what you really want is a durable road bike for ~25 mile rides and charity events that'll be faster than your MTB or commuter. Trek Crossrip is a very popular bike, check that one out.
Maybe, or maybe OP wants a true road bike. I would suggest OP try both types.
Old 09-26-16, 11:47 AM
American Euchre

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, hit up the local shops, find some good bikes in your size and price range. Be sure to factor in costs for clothing and accessories: shoes, jerseys, shorts, lights, maybe a lock.

You get more gears and less weight as you move up the price range. Under $1K, generally 9 speed, at $1K a few bikes will have 10 speed tiagra, around $1500, 11 speed 105 and so on.

I definitely recommend getting in with tiagra 10 if at all possible: wider gear range, smaller gaps in gearing, smooth shifting and componentry.

The most important thing is fit. Be sure to buy the correct size and if at all possible, get at least a rudimentary fitting with proper size, saddle height, and stem length.

When I bought a road bike $1200 or so was the point where you got into some really nice bikes with excellent shifting, low weight and dialed geometry. The wheels at this price point and below can be a bit shifty, so likely you'll have to upgrade those at some point.
Old 09-26-16, 11:56 AM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by American Euchre View Post
I definitely recommend getting in with tiagra 10 if at all possible: wider gear range, smaller gaps in gearing, smooth shifting and componentry.
American Euchre is entitled to his opinion, but this is the sort of advice that I think beginners should ignore. All the drive trains are usable and I don't think a beginner knows the difference. If the OP ends up getting really serious, his entry-level bike will be replaced by n+1 soon enough.

When I started riding again in 2009, I was quite happy with my 8 speed Sora drive train on a $600 steel framed road bike. I got serious and upgraded to an alloy bike with 10 speed 105. But in that first year, I wouldn't have known the difference. Or cared.

Buy a modest bike, ride and enjoy. Don't worry about the components. Yet.
Old 09-26-16, 12:12 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I agree with @MinnMan. Get something comfortable that you like riding.
Old 09-26-16, 12:17 PM
American Euchre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MinnMan View Post
American Euchre is entitled to his opinion, but this is the sort of advice that I think beginners should ignore. All the drive trains are usable and I don't think a beginner knows the difference. If the OP ends up getting really serious, his entry-level bike will be replaced by n+1 soon enough.

When I started riding again in 2009, I was quite happy with my 8 speed Sora drive train on a $600 steel framed road bike. I got serious and upgraded to an alloy bike with 10 speed 105. But in that first year, I wouldn't have known the difference. Or cared.

I have 8 speed shimano on my flat bar road bike and the components and bike are ridiculously nice.

Having said that, anyone can appreciate both a wider gear range (esp. a new rider), and the smaller gaps are a nice bonus as well. A wider gear range is necessary for riders who are just getting into shape and smaller gaps make it much easier to find the right gear for cadence on longer rides.

The gap between 8 and 10 speed is functional, and allows for more varied riding and longer riding with greater ease. There's a gap between 10 and 11 speed tiagra and 105, but aside from the 1 gear, the feel of the componentry is quite similar.

10 speed is attainable at $1K on closeout, and def. available at $1200 which is fairly close. Tiagra gets you quite close to the refinement of 105 and is a nice gap over 8 speed in functionality as well. At the OP's price point or close to it.
Old 09-26-16, 12:21 PM
MRT2

And there are plenty of avid cyclists happily riding their 8 and 9 speed drive trains for years. Is 10 speed Tiagra or 11 speed 105 better? Probably, but unless you go with an Internet brand or run across a great sale, those bikes will cost $1,200 to $1,500.
Old 09-26-16, 12:27 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi there
Don't let a skinny guy tell you what to get. They will tell you that you need a mountain bike to ride on the street.

If you are over 250 lbs, you can definitely use a road bike, but go for a steel frame road bike.

Here are some that list under $1000:

JAMIS BICYCLES
JAMIS BICYCLES
Kona H0nky Tonk (you'll have to google it)
Save Up To 60% Off Pro Level Steel Road Bikes | Commuting | Commuter Bikes | Motobecane Gran Premio PRO

Last edited by Jarrett2; 09-26-16 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-26-16, 12:41 PM
American Euchre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...specifications

Here's a really nice bike at $1050. Disc brakes, 10 speed tiagra. You can probably find it discounted a bit at a shop. No, it's not an internet brand.

And another at $1100.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...5-elite/115475

It should be pretty easy to find either at 10% off which gets you right at or slightly under $1K.

Last edited by American Euchre; 09-26-16 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-26-16, 01:08 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Jarrett2 View Post
Don't let a skinny guy tell you what to get. They will tell you that you need a mountain bike to ride on the street.

If you are over 250 lbs, you can definitely use a road bike, but go for a steel frame road bike.
I was trying to figure out how to address that concern tactfully. Great suggestions on the steel bikes. Raleigh also has a couple that may be worthy of consideration.
Old 09-26-16, 01:11 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
REI has the Diamondback Century 1 105 disc for ~$879

https://www.rei.com/product/893054/d...disc-bike-2016

Edit: Just saw this article that talks about bikes under $1000: https://www.mensjournal.com/expert-ad...1-000-20150512

Last edited by ptempel; 09-26-16 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-26-16, 01:18 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Originally Posted by kingston View Post
I was trying to figure out how to address that concern tactfully. Great suggestions on the steel bikes. Raleigh also has a couple that may be worthy of consideration.
I think many Aluminum bikes could also work. I guess the bottom line is the manufacturer weight limit on it.
Old 09-26-16, 03:39 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2 View Post

Here are some that list under $1000:

JAMIS BICYCLES
JAMIS BICYCLES
Kona H0nky Tonk (you'll have to google it)
Save Up To 60% Off Pro Level Steel Road Bikes | Commuting | Commuter Bikes | Motobecane Gran Premio PRO
Those are great choices and I echo the call for a steel frame.

Another option you can find as low as $760 right now is the Raleigh Grand Sport

2016 Raleigh GRAND SPORT | Road Bikes | ERIK'S

I thought the Grand Sport was a little lighter than the Kona ***** Tonk, which is actually named after a Portland bike shop owner, Eric Tonkin. I've never test ridden a Jamis but the company has a great reputation.

All City, Salsa and Surly are all house brand names for QBP, and their steel bikes tend to run a little higher than $1000, but this is the closeout season on old model years bikes and you might find a deal in a larger city, say DC if that is near you.

The Surly Cross Check has enormous popularity hereabouts for example.
Old 09-26-16, 03:58 PM
American Euchre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

WTF is a "modest bike?" OP says his budget is $1K. There are 3 bikes listed here at or below $1K with 4700 tiagra or even 105 5800. Those are very nice component groups on bikes that meet his price point.

Why not just pay attention to OP's question instead?
Old 09-26-16, 04:00 PM
American Euchre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ptempel View Post
REI has the Diamondback Century 1 105 disc for ~$879

https://www.rei.com/product/893054/d...disc-bike-2016

Edit: Just saw this article that talks about bikes under $1000: The Best Road Bikes You Can Buy for Under $1,000 | Men's Journal
Nice resources. If I were looking for a bike, I'd be taking a good hard look at the diamondback at that price point. Then again, the spec. and giant bikes look awfully nice as well.

The steel bikes direct bike is nice too.

Look to be quite a few options for tiagra/105 at this price point.
Old 09-26-16, 04:04 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OP, here's a good deal on some nice steel:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Kona/Kona-*...e-2015?cs=Blue

If that is censored, go here:

Kona | Jenson USA

And check out the 2015 H0nky Tonk for $799

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.