Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

From 6Gap to first century

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-03-16, 07:32 AM
Fldaves

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've lost over 100 lbs this last year and as a "present to myself" I decided to try 3Gap portion of 6Gap. I prepped for 5 months riding in Florida hills of Brooksville,SanAntonio and Clermont. I finished the 60+mile 3Gap ride strong and have plans to do it next year. A week after finishing 3Gap I finished my first century ride in 26 years. After recovering from an upcoming surgery I'll start speed training to get back into racing after 30 years away. Good luck to all on this forum with your goals and ambitions!

Last edited by Fldaves; 10-05-16 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-03-16, 10:32 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Nice job! :thumbs:

I'm getting ready to do a ride across the state at the end of this month. Our second day is an 85 mile ride that ends in Rdige Manor. I'm hoping we get to Ridge Manor early enough so that I can do a century, while we're on the trail, before going to dinner. If not, I'm looking at doing one before the end of the year. I'm just not sure where I'm going to do it.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 10-03-16, 11:31 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 449 Posts
Originally Posted by Fldaves
I've lost over 100 lbs this last year and as a "present to myself" I decided to try 3Gap portion of 6Gap. I prepped for 5 months riding in Florida hills of Brooksville,SanAntonio and Cleremont. I finished the 60+mile 3Gap ride strong and have plans to do it next year. A week after finishing 3Gap I finished my first century ride in 26 years. After recovering from an upcoming surgery I'll start speed training to get back into racing after 30 years away. Good luck to all on this forum with your goals and ambitions!
FANTASTIC FLdaves

That was some great morning weather up there in Dahlonega and things didn't get too hot either. Got my 2nd Six Gap Century done and like you I also did some Clermont riding before. Have my right shoulder joint replaced in 1 week then Horrible Hundred. Sebring 24 Hours in February and Cross Florida in April.

BTW, you can still sign up for Horrible Hundred this year AND make it a century next year in Dahlonega.
Old 10-03-16, 12:29 PM
Fldaves

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
FANTASTIC FLdaves

That was some great morning weather up there in Dahlonega and things didn't get too hot either. Got my 2nd Six Gap Century done and like you I also did some Clermont riding before. Have my right shoulder joint replaced in 1 week then Horrible Hundred. Sebring 24 Hours in February and Cross Florida in April.

BTW, you can still sign up for Horrible Hundred this year AND make it a century next year in Dahlonega.
I'd love to do the HH and have a lot of my club members are doing that however I've got a major cancer surgery coming up and can't ride that this year. Have fun and if you've done 6Gap I'm sure you'll do just fine with the HH!
Old 10-03-16, 12:48 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 877 Times in 407 Posts
My brother really wants to do 6 Gap again next year. It's a great ride. Maybe that would be a good way to celebrate turning 65??? Next time I'm NOT going to do it coming off a 2 week cruise where I put on 10 pounds though. That was just brutal.

Maybe we'll see you there.
Old 10-03-16, 01:18 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I've lost over 100 lbs this last year and as a "present to myself" I decided to try 3Gap portion of 6Gap. I prepped for 5 months riding in Florida hills of Brooksville,SanAntonio and Cleremont. I finished the 60+mile 3Gap ride strong and have plans to do it next year. A week after finishing 3Gap I finished my first century ride in 26 years. After recovering from an upcoming surgery I'll start speed training to get back into racing after 30 years away. Good luck to all on this forum with your goals and ambitions!
Kudos.

My ambition is to have no more surgeries — ever!!! I'm finally recovered from my 3rd surgery in the past 9+ months. I've stopped and started twice this year (after surgery #1 and #2) and now that surgery #3 is behind me I'll be back on the bike Wed (Oct 5).

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-03-16, 02:25 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 1,503 Times in 743 Posts
Dang skippy! Great job!
Old 10-03-16, 02:43 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

I'd love to do the HH and have a lot of my club members are doing that however I've got a major cancer surgery coming up and can't ride that this year. Have fun and if you've done 6Gap I'm sure you'll do just fine with the HH!
Good luck with your surgery. Last year I was between prostate cancer surgeries for both Six Gap and HH. Did Six Gap, Halloween I rode a 200 miler, HH a few weeks later, then the Space Coast Half Marathon and Dec. 10th my 2nd cancer surgery. Going to do my 200 miler this Saturday then shoulder replacement on Monday. LBS owner is willing to modify one of his own bikes for me if the doc gives me the OK for HH.

Originally Posted by jppe
My brother really wants to do 6 Gap again next year. It's a great ride. Maybe that would be a good way to celebrate turning 65??? Next time I'm NOT going to do it coming off a 2 week cruise where I put on 10 pounds though. That was just brutal.

Maybe we'll see you there.
2 week cruise, awesome. European or US??? Longest for us was a 10 day Panama Canal. We have a 7 day following the Space Coast Half Marathon this year. Half marathon at 7AM, back to room, shower-dress then off to Oasis of the Seas.

A 67yo gent finished ahead of me at Six Gap then everybody my 66years and older were behind. Next year I will not ride the 53 ring up Neels Gap, Jack's Gap and Unicoi Gap but will drop down to the 39 making it faster and less taxing on my bad knees. Going to be better prepared without shoulder pain and hope to cut my 6:50 bicycling time down 10 to 15 minutes.

Originally Posted by RonH
Kudos.

My ambition is to have no more surgeries ever!!! I'm finally recovered from my 3rd surgery in the past 9+ months. I've stopped and started twice this year (after surgery #1 and #2) and now that surgery #3 is behind me I'll be back on the bike Wed (Oct 5).
Yuppers, back on the saddle again for you. Remember, nice and easy does it at least the first ride then you can whip it up to 25mph.
Old 10-05-16, 03:49 AM
Fldaves

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like to employ the Chris Froome method of riding hills and look only at the road underneath the wheels.
Old 10-05-16, 04:38 AM
Fldaves

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RonH
Kudos.

My ambition is to have no more surgeries ever!!! I'm finally recovered from my 3rd surgery in the past 9+ months. I've stopped and started twice this year (after surgery #1 and #2) and now that surgery #3 is behind me I'll be back on the bike Wed (Oct 5).
It was on the Withlacoochee Trail this past Sunday(Rails To Trails Day) that I finished a century!
Old 10-05-16, 09:09 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Wow, I just looked up the 6 Gap Century and it sounds like a wonderful ride! https://www.6gap.com/

Of course I'd have to fly across the country to enter it but that may just be do-able. The only other ride I've done in that area of the country is the Assault on Mt. Mitchell and that was back in '88. May have to put that one on my list.

The closest thing I can think of that we have out in this neck of the woods is Breathless Agony which as about 114 miles and 12,000 feet of climbing, so kind of similar spec to the 6-Gap. https://www.cyclingpros.com/onyx.htm#Summary

I've ridden Breathless Agony six times (most recently in 2016) so I think I could handle the 6 Gap!

Thanks for the post F1daves and congratulations on losing 100 lb. I can't imagine that since I struggle to lose 5!

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-13-16, 03:10 PM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
Wow, I just looked up the 6 Gap Century and it sounds like a wonderful ride! https://www.6gap.com/

Of course I'd have to fly across the country to enter it but that may just be do-able. The only other ride I've done in that area of the country is the Assault on Mt. Mitchell and that was back in '88. May have to put that one on my list.

The closest thing I can think of that we have out in this neck of the woods is Breathless Agony which as about 114 miles and 12,000 feet of climbing, so kind of similar spec to the 6-Gap. https://www.cyclingpros.com/onyx.htm#Summary

I've ridden Breathless Agony six times (most recently in 2016) so I think I could handle the 6 Gap!

Thanks for the post F1daves and congratulations on losing 100 lb. I can't imagine that since I struggle to lose 5!

Rick / OCRR
I agree, congrats to F1daves and the 100 lb weight loss. I agree Rick, I struggle to lose 5 as well.

Glad to see you back on the bike Rick.
Old 10-25-16, 07:38 AM
Fldaves

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm back home recovering now after my pancreatic cancer surgery(Whipple Procedure). I won't be able to ride for several months so I sent my Lynskey frame back to be refinished( and name etching instead of stickers) at their factory in Chattanooga. Something to look forward to!!!
Old 10-25-16, 11:17 AM
wnl256
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job. You are an inspiration.

Coming off of my heart attack last year, my goal this year was to complete RAGBRAI. I did 6 of the 7 days (355 miles), so I declared it a victory. I've pretty much decided that next year's goal is going to be 3 gap, which means dropping some extra pounds and building up my strength. I've never been a strong climber and I think it's time to try to improve that.
Old 10-25-16, 12:59 PM
Fldaves

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wnl256
Great job. You are an inspiration.

Coming off of my heart attack last year, my goal this year was to complete RAGBRAI. I did 6 of the 7 days (355 miles), so I declared it a victory. I've pretty much decided that next year's goal is going to be 3 gap, which means dropping some extra pounds and building up my strength. I've never been a strong climber and I think it's time to try to improve that.
Members of my Tampa bike club have done RAGRAI. HMM, I've been wanting to do it! Maybe next year!!! BTW- 6/7 ain't bad!
Old 10-25-16, 02:50 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
It was on the Withlacoochee Trail this past Sunday(Rails To Trails Day) that I finished a century!
flDaves, wishing you the best on your Recovery from the whipple procedure. John V and I are planning to meet up when I get back to FL and ride the Withlacoochee Trail from Inverness southwards, then back. I have no idea what the mileage will be, but I'm looking forward to it.

You and everyone on this forum that deal with health issues on a daily basis are an inspiration to me, and I often think of folks like you who refuse to give up when I'm out on the bike.
Old 10-25-16, 03:05 PM
wnl256
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wthensler
flDaves, wishing you the best on your Recovery from the whipple procedure. John V and I are planning to meet up when I get back to FL and ride the Withlacoochee Trail from Inverness southwards, then back.
Nice trail! I didn't know about that one. Will have to keep that in mind next time I'm in the Tampa Bay area.
Old 10-25-16, 05:07 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
We're planning to start in Inverness which is about halfway between Tampa where John V lives and Gainesville (my FL home) and head south so I'm guessing somewhere around 70+ miles back and forth. I typically ride the Gainesville Hawthorne Trail, about 32 in and out. I love it but wish it were a bit longer....

I think the Palatka-St. Augustine Trail is almost complete. I hear it's going to be over 100 one way.
Old 10-25-16, 06:59 PM
Fldaves

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since the Withlacoochee trail is a 'Rails to trails' trail it's mostly flat but VERY well done, you and John will love the ride!
Old 10-26-16, 03:49 PM
OldTryGuy

I'm back home recovering now after my pancreatic cancer surgery(Whipple Procedure). I won't be able to ride for several months so I sent my Lynskey frame back to be refinished( and name etching instead of stickers) at their factory in Chattanooga. Something to look forward to!!!
Seriously, using surgery as an excuse to not ride Horrible Hundred after conquering 3 Gap********** Good luck with your recovery. Sugarloaf will still be there next year.

I had my total right shoulder replacement 16 days ago and am holding my surgeon to his word that HH will not be a problem in 3 weeks. Rode 103 miles on my stripped down 34 pound upright bike last Saturday. Just got my '81 Touring Paramount back together with upright bars and rode 56 miles yesterday after letting it collect dust for 30+ years. Will be using it for HH since I'm not allowed to ride drop bars for 2 months in order to let the muscles bond with the bones.