Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Total Shoulder Joint Replacement 4 days ago.....

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Total Shoulder Joint Replacement 4 days ago.....

Old 10-14-16, 06:42 PM
  #1  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,377

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 392 Posts
Total Shoulder Joint Replacement 4 days ago.....

and 13 miles on wife's bike today. Just reversed the stem direction on my Magna, put wider comfort saddle on, lowered it, aired up the tires to 60psi and will give it a go in the AM. Ride the 5 miles to the LBS to meet the gang and if everything feels OK, might just take off with them for a bit then put in 20+ on my own.
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 10-14-16, 08:42 PM
  #2  
_ForceD_
Senior Member on Sr bikes
 
_ForceD_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,864

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 261 Posts
Wow. But don't you think it's just a bit soon? I haven't have shoulder replacement, so I don't know exactly what the procedure intails, and how the recover is...but I have had surgery for a torn rotator cuff. I couldn't ride for months afterward for fear of crashing and breaking my fall with my outstretched arms...and re-injuring the rotator cuff before it was properly healed.

Dan
_ForceD_ is offline  
Old 10-14-16, 10:03 PM
  #3  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5,631

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 651 Posts
The painkillers are masking the pain. Please stop and ask your physician as to when you can return to biking.
BobbyG is offline  
Old 10-15-16, 03:44 AM
  #4  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,377

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
The painkillers are masking the pain. Please stop and ask your physician as to when you can return to biking.
Pain is an individual experience/tolerance. Post surgery I was allowed 1 oxyco every 4 hours as needed but took 1 @ 12 hours post surgery then a second 12 hours later and stopped. Began a 500mg acetaminophen every 6 to 8 hours and will pop 250mg this morning then none until **********
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 10-15-16, 06:52 AM
  #5  
BobbyG
Senior Member
 
BobbyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 5,631

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 651 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
Pain is an individual experience/tolerance. Post surgery I was allowed 1 oxyco every 4 hours as needed but took 1 @ 12 hours post surgery then a second 12 hours later and stopped. Began a 500mg acetaminophen every 6 to 8 hours and will pop 250mg this morning then none until **********
You are correct about pain being an individual experience. I was just expressing concern based my experience and the experience of others I know. Perhaps I was too vehement. I have also seen quick recoveries, though, not as often. And if this is one of them, then I share in the joy of it. Also, I commend you for taking fewer painkillers than perscribed.
BobbyG is offline  
Old 10-15-16, 09:54 AM
  #6  
philbob57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chicago North Shore
Posts: 2,070

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 268 Posts
I got a new shoulder mid-March of this year. The sub-scapularis muscle was cut in 2 in order to do the replacement, and my doc was paranoid about letting that mend before doing anything that risked it tearing ... like a fall. My doc was also paranoid about not externally rotating the shoulder for 6 weeks.

I, too, have a high tolerance for pain, though not as high as you do. In any case, because I was afraid the low pain level would lead me to make dangerous moves, I followed the recommendation to wear a shoulder immobilizer for 6 weeks, especially at night.

I've heard there's another method of replacing a shoulder that reduces the recuperation period. How was your surgery done?
philbob57 is offline  
Old 10-15-16, 09:58 AM
  #7  
RonH
Life is good
 
RonH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Not far from the Withlacoochee Trail. 🚴🏻
Posts: 18,210

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
and 13 miles on wife's bike today. Just reversed the stem direction on my Magna, put wider comfort saddle on, lowered it, aired up the tires to 60psi and will give it a go in the AM. Ride the 5 miles to the LBS to meet the gang and if everything feels OK, might just take off with them for a bit then put in 20+ on my own.
Kudos. I hope the doc gave you the all clear for riding.
__________________
The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. - Psalm 103:8

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
RonH is offline  
Old 10-15-16, 11:15 AM
  #8  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,472

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 883 Times in 519 Posts
At this point in your life a recumbent would be a great choice.
rydabent is offline  
Old 10-15-16, 11:26 AM
  #9  
Phloom
Senior Member
 
Phloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edmonton Canada
Posts: 317

Bikes: Too many to list here

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just had my jaw all elasticated up after some dental surgery. My dental surgeon has ordered no bicycling for two months. It just dumped 10" snow so I am not even tempted right now. I have until December 12 before the surgeon says it will be OK.
Phloom is offline  
Old 10-15-16, 01:48 PM
  #10  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,377

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
You are correct about pain being an individual experience. I was just expressing concern based my experience and the experience of others I know. Perhaps I was too vehement. I have also seen quick recoveries, though, not as often. And if this is one of them, then I share in the joy of it. Also, I commend you for taking fewer painkillers than perscribed.
Originally Posted by philbob57 View Post
I got a new shoulder mid-March of this year. The sub-scapularis muscle was cut in 2 in order to do the replacement, and my doc was paranoid about letting that mend before doing anything that risked it tearing ... like a fall. My doc was also paranoid about not externally rotating the shoulder for 6 weeks.

I, too, have a high tolerance for pain, though not as high as you do. In any case, because I was afraid the low pain level would lead me to make dangerous moves, I followed the recommendation to wear a shoulder immobilizer for 6 weeks, especially at night.

I've heard there's another method of replacing a shoulder that reduces the recuperation period. How was your surgery done?
My PT guy had me doing only swelling reduction forearm movements and shoulder shrugging front/back and up/down when I went the day after surgery. He also took off surgery cover and incision was opened to air. Second PT appointment was 2 days later, he had me lie down to check partial movement. UNBELIEVABLE MOVEMENT WITHOUT PAIN I CRIED BECAUSE I HAVE NOT HAD THAT PAIN FREE MOVEMENT IN OVER A DECADE. Said that because of the way my doc anchors and does surgery with individualized unique stitching depending on texture that he uses to close, the movement can be verified where old method it would not be allowed for 6 weeks.

Originally Posted by RonH View Post
Kudos. I hope the doc gave you the all clear for riding.
Doc originally said 2 days I could be on bike "AS LONG AS I DO NOT FALL."

Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
At this point in your life a recumbent would be a great choice.
At 66 I am not ready for a recumbent.

Originally Posted by Phloom View Post
Just had my jaw all elasticated up after some dental surgery. My dental surgeon has ordered no bicycling for two months. It just dumped 10" snow so I am not even tempted right now. I have until December 12 before the surgeon says it will be OK.
Things will get better.

BTW, the 20 mile ride today wound up being 68 glorious-pain free miles.

THANKS FOR YOUR CONCERNS!!!!!!!!
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 10-15-16, 03:27 PM
  #11  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,223

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 2,429 Times in 1,577 Posts
That's an impressive recovery. My mom was in the hospital for a week after shoulder replacement surgery, and complained about stiffness and soreness for years afterward. But she's, frankly, lazy and wouldn't cooperate with physical therapy. She never has understood that being fit before such surgery makes the recovery easier. Even now she'd rather complain and pop an ibuprofen than do even modest stretching and calisthenics.

At the other extreme was a good friend who's in her early to mid 70s and recovered from knee replacement surgery this summer about as quickly as OldTryGuy. But she'd been fit for years, playing tennis a few times a week and puttering constantly around her home, gardening, etc. I wouldn't call her athletic by any means, but she's always been active and fit. Makes a big difference in recovery from surgeries and illnesses.

I tried to get my friend to go bike riding with me but she claimed her doctor might not approve. However she was already playing tennis. I think she was trying to be too polite to admit she just didn't enjoy riding bikes!
canklecat is offline  
Old 10-15-16, 05:36 PM
  #12  
TCR Rider
Senior Member
 
TCR Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
Posts: 879

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 114 Posts
I think it's great that you are able to put in that kind of mileage this soon after the procedure. I understand wanting (needing) to get back on the bike but IMHO the risk of falling and undoing all of the surgeons work is not worth the risk. When I started recovering from surgery to correct a mal-union of a pelvic fracture and a revision of a hip replacement I spent the first portion of my recovery on the trainer. Not thrilling but no risk of falling and I still got a ride in.
I'm interested to see how you progress and the level of your functionality of the shoulder when you are fully healed since I've been living with a bad shoulder and have been advised to consider a replacement. I'm not ready for that just yet.
Best of luck on your recovery and for the love of God keep the rubber down.

Last edited by TCR Rider; 10-15-16 at 05:40 PM.
TCR Rider is offline  
Old 10-15-16, 06:10 PM
  #13  
bruce19
Senior Member
 
bruce19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon (Liberty Hill), CT
Posts: 8,170

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 1,078 Times in 629 Posts
Having broken my neck and had C1 & C2 fused, my advice is......do what the medical people tell you to do. Really.
bruce19 is offline  
Old 10-15-16, 08:11 PM
  #14  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 27,422

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4568 Post(s)
Liked 2,239 Times in 1,525 Posts
Originally Posted by Phloom View Post
Just had my jaw all elasticated up after some dental surgery // 10" snow
sorry about your jaw but glad you got whatever work you needed, done. got a picture of that snow?
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 10-16-16, 10:49 AM
  #15  
Phloom
Senior Member
 
Phloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edmonton Canada
Posts: 317

Bikes: Too many to list here

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
sorry about your jaw but glad you got whatever work you needed, done. got a picture of that snow?
Not up to taking some snow pictures. Not feeling very good despite the liquid morphine. Still, I planned for this for a long time. Getting the jumbled collection of teeth in mouth all straightened out. My orthodontist is a splitting image of Scarlett Johanson. The surgeon is just some guy but very good at what he does.
Phloom is offline  
Old 10-17-16, 06:07 AM
  #16  
donheff
Senior Member
 
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Capitol Hill, Washington, DC
Posts: 1,493

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I suspect the doctors restrict cycling more out of fear of what a fall might do than riding itself but still... For both my shoulder and currently my hip I stayed off the bike for about 8 weeks to make sure healing was advanced before taking a chance. But I have had several crashes so maybe I need to be more cautious than OP.
donheff is offline  
Old 10-17-16, 02:07 PM
  #17  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,377

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I suspect the doctors restrict cycling more out of fear of what a fall might do than riding itself but still... For both my shoulder and currently my hip I stayed off the bike for about 8 weeks to make sure healing was advanced before taking a chance. But I have had several crashes so maybe I need to be more cautious than OP.
WHO, me crash????

2009, paceline wheel overlap and went down left side. After coming to a stop from the sliding, I was facing 2 lanes of cars coming at me at 55+mph. Got up while picking up the bike and ran to the side of the highway.

2011, paceline riding and oncoming driver decides to pass a stopped mail truck on his side as we approach. Comes into our lane at which time lead rider bails right, 2nd rider wants to bail right but mail box is there so he checks up and stops as vehicle gets back into proper lane. I am #3 in line just inches from rear wheel of #2 so reactions failed and I lock up into #2. Went airborne, landed hearing 2 cracking noises, C6 and right clavicle is were the cracking noises came from, also C5-C6-C7 are compressed causing a Long Thoracic Nerve injury.

2012, 25.2mph approaching a roundabout at mile 15 of 56 during a 70.3 Triathlon. Lost rear wheel, down on left side sliding 20' to a stop, get up and check bike then back to riding. Finished the 56 miles of biking then the half marathon and was helped by 2 medical volunteers to the medical tent. Blood was caked onto the front of the bike and even rear spokes. Didn't stop bleeding until final medical attention. Been down a few times since then but nothing big.

Riding is a calculated risk. Saturday I calculated my fall risk as being low since I was riding my 34 pound upright handlebar hybrid and unable to do any serious drafting or cornering. Waiting for a friend's call right now to go out for some miles tonight. Again, calculated risk of falling remains low. See the shoulder doctor tomorrow to talk about some immediate knee work so I can start training for next year's Ironman Florida.
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 10-18-16, 10:10 PM
  #18  
2 Piece
Senior Member
 
2 Piece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 339

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shoulder replacement surgery must be easier on a person than a torn rotator cuff.
2 Piece is offline  
Old 10-19-16, 04:28 AM
  #19  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,377

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Piece View Post
Shoulder replacement surgery must be easier on a person than a torn rotator cuff.
Apparently it is. I go to PT in half an hour and will ask my PT.

I visited my doctor yesterday and thanked him for my pain free joint. Told him of the 68 mile ride and he was pleased. I also told him that in 54 weeks I want to complete another Ironman Florida so he has to get my knees straightened out. We proceeded to determine what can be done NOW after inspection of x-rays and a physical inspection. Result is that I am getting custom insoles made very similar to his. We are both severely bow legged and the insoles will shift my knee alignment which has worked for him and he believes it will work for me.

A surgical solution of new knees would first require cutting and shaping of the tibia in both legs to eliminate the curvature. Only then could the new knees be installed. NOT AT THIS TIME!!!
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 10-19-16, 05:10 AM
  #20  
2 Piece
Senior Member
 
2 Piece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 339

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
Apparently it is. I go to PT in half an hour and will ask my PT.

I visited my doctor yesterday and thanked him for my pain free joint. Told him of the 68 mile ride and he was pleased. I also told him that in 54 weeks I want to complete another Ironman Florida so he has to get my knees straightened out. We proceeded to determine what can be done NOW after inspection of x-rays and a physical inspection. Result is that I am getting custom insoles made very similar to his. We are both severely bow legged and the insoles will shift my knee alignment which has worked for him and he believes it will work for me.

A surgical solution of new knees would first require cutting and shaping of the tibia in both legs to eliminate the curvature. Only then could the new knees be installed. NOT AT THIS TIME!!!
Please do, I have a complete rotator cuff tear. Doctor states after surgery 1 month no arm movement in a sling, 2nd month start passive therapy (therapist moves arm around) 3rd month I get to start moving arm around and hopefully return to work. Up to a year before I get full range of motion, if I get full range back.
Still waiting on rotator cuff surgery, they found another problem while looking at MRI results they want to evaluate before worrying about the rotator cuff.
At present time I can not lift my right arm up to the handle bar without assistance, let alone ride my bicycle.
2 Piece is offline  
Old 10-19-16, 02:33 PM
  #21  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,377

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Piece View Post
Please do, I have a complete rotator cuff tear. Doctor states after surgery 1 month no arm movement in a sling, 2nd month start passive therapy (therapist moves arm around) 3rd month I get to start moving arm around and hopefully return to work. Up to a year before I get full range of motion, if I get full range back.
Still waiting on rotator cuff surgery, they found another problem while looking at MRI results they want to evaluate before worrying about the rotator cuff.
At present time I can not lift my right arm up to the handle bar without assistance, let alone ride my bicycle.
Big time BUMMER regarding your shoulder situation.

I had a GREAT PT session and YES, my shoulder replacement is easier for rehab than a RC. Go figure!!! He did some additional movement compared to last week and was happy and I now have new movements to due at home.

50 to 75 mile ride tomorrow and a possible 100 miler on Saturday.
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 10-20-16, 08:13 AM
  #22  
tg16
Senior Member
 
tg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 317

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Ironman Florida.......You've got me thinking.
tg16 is offline  
Old 10-20-16, 03:19 PM
  #23  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,377

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by tg16 View Post
Ironman Florida.......You've got me thinking.
I asked the PT yesterday about swimming and I have a 2 to 3 month rehab period before swimming is permitted. Even with that time frame I might go ahead a register for 2017 IMFL. I will pick up some custom insoles tomorrow that my doctor wants me to try. He and I have bowed legs and the insoles have helped him in his running so I am hoping for a similar result.
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 10-25-16, 01:56 PM
  #24  
tg16
Senior Member
 
tg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 317

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
I asked the PT yesterday about swimming and I have a 2 to 3 month rehab period before swimming is permitted. Even with that time frame I might go ahead a register for 2017 IMFL. I will pick up some custom insoles tomorrow that my doctor wants me to try. He and I have bowed legs and the insoles have helped him in his running so I am hoping for a similar result.
Swimming is my weak link in multisport but I think I may do a half IM in the Spring followed by a full in the fall.

How's the shoulder doing now?
tg16 is offline  
Old 10-25-16, 03:32 PM
  #25  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,377

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by tg16 View Post
Swimming is my weak link in multisport but I think I may do a half IM in the Spring followed by a full in the fall.

How's the shoulder doing now?
Swimming is my weak link but with the new shoulder I am hoping for huge gains. 2 weeks yesterday since installation and everything is GREAT!!!! with my PT saying that the range of motion is very good. Had a 103 mile bike ride on Saturday WITHOUT PAIN, something that hasn't occurred in years. On Sunday I walked/jogged 8 miles with the new wedges in my shoes. First time in 5 years I had no pain in the knees AND the distance was completed without the use of knee bracing. LOOK OUT MARATHONS.....

2013 I did IM70.3FL in May and IMFL in November. The 70.3 was fairly far out from the FULL but it was a very good plan for me since it showed me how good my preparation had been and where I needed to change my training.
OldTryGuy is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Satchmo63
Fifty Plus (50+)
3
07-27-17 08:19 PM
rydabent
Fifty Plus (50+)
9
06-10-17 09:19 AM
bikeme
General Cycling Discussion
19
09-01-16 09:27 PM
Minnesota Expat
Fifty Plus (50+)
48
03-11-16 07:04 AM
gforeman
Fifty Plus (50+)
23
05-05-14 01:07 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.