Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone monitor their heart rate during rides?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone monitor their heart rate during rides?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-16, 10:29 AM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by 47p2
Family history of my father and grandfather having heart attacks led my cardiologist fitting me with a heart monitor for 48 hours to ensure everything was 'normal'... I had to go back to the hospital to have the monitor removed so decided to cycle there on my single speed bike. Only problem is there's a leg breaking climb of 3/4 mile long to reach the hospital so it made for some interesting reading when I went in for the results. Resting HR 48bpm (sleeping) maximum HR cycling to the hospital 184bpm... Result is I'm not going to die of a heart attack.
I wore one of these things for a week when I complained of dizziness. There's a button to push any time I felt dizzy or chest pain. It records everything like an ECG but when you push the button it flags that event for observation.

It was glued on and they gave me some glue remover and a mailing envelope when I was done. Then I got back a report that said nothing's wrong with me... I guess that's a good thing.
Old 10-19-16, 10:37 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I wore one of these things for a week when I complained of dizziness. There's a button to push any time I felt dizzy or chest pain. It records everything like an ECG but when you push the button it flags that event for observation.

It was glued on and they gave me some glue remover and a mailing envelope when I was done. Then I got back a report that said nothing's wrong with me... I guess that's a good thing.
Been there, done that last year. I had weird recurring chest pains and trouble getting my HR down after hard efforts. Extensive cardio workups found nothing at all. I was relieved, but also felt foolish for complaining in the first place. But of course, it's better safe than sorry.
Old 10-19-16, 10:51 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by punkncat
I wore the chest strap that came with my Garmin for a bit. According to the charts, I am about to nearly die from an exploding heart for my age every time I ride. Paired with the discomfort of wearing it, I misplaced it somewhere.
It's widely known that those charts have no meaning for any particular individual. Lots of us have MHRs much higher than predicted for our age.

Your riding style is up to you, many of us try not to max out our HR on every ride. Normal training wisdom has it that one should vary hard rides with easy ones. This is actually one of the most useful reasons to wear a HRM. I can set a goal to have an easy ride where I keep my HR below, say, 120 BPM. If I get carried away with too great an effort, I can see on my Garmin that my HR is going a little higher than I want, and I ease off. Before I used the HRM, I would resolve at the outset of a ride to keep it nice and easy, then get too involved in the riding, and as the ride went on gradually and unintentionally increased my effort (and maybe raced to drop a Fred or two).
Old 10-19-16, 11:19 AM
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wore the chest strap that came with my Garmin for a bit. According to the charts, I am about to nearly die from an exploding heart for my age every time I ride.
Don't believe the charts. They show averages. Everybody is different.

Originally Posted by 47p2
Family history of my father and grandfather having heart attacks led my cardiologist fitting me with a heart monitor for 48 hours to ensure everything was 'normal'... I had to go back to the hospital to have the monitor removed so decided to cycle there on my single speed bike. Only problem is there's a leg breaking climb of 3/4 mile long to reach the hospital so it made for some interesting reading when I went in for the results. Resting HR 48bpm (sleeping) maximum HR cycling to the hospital 184bpm... Result is I'm not going to die of a heart attack.
Yeah, that's what I thought until the day I almost died of a heart attack. A healthy heart isn't going to overcome an artery that is 100% blocked. And you probably won't know about the blockage until it gets very near 100%. On the plus side, my recovery was quicker and easier because my heart was in such good shape.
Old 10-19-16, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by wnl256
Don't believe the charts. They show averages. Everybody is different.

Yeah, that's what I thought until the day I almost died of a heart attack. A healthy heart isn't going to overcome an artery that is 100% blocked. And you probably won't know about the blockage until it gets very near 100%. On the plus side, my recovery was quicker and easier because my heart was in such good shape.
Glad that you recovered so well.

when I had all that cardio work up last year, I also had an angiogram. My Ca score was zero, which means my arteries are clean. phew....
Old 10-19-16, 12:15 PM

Bikes: N+1+1+1+1+1 etc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes I've been through the angiogram procedure too, not a nice experience but good to know everything was all clear in there
Old 10-19-16, 12:20 PM
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Glad that you recovered so well.

when I had all that cardio work up last year, I also had an angiogram. My Ca score was zero, which means my arteries are clean. phew....
Excellent! I didn't seem to need something that intrusive so of course it was never considered. My cholesterol was safely below 200 without statins, and a stress test showed no problems. So my PCP said "nothing to worry about."

Of course things would have gone a lot smoother if I had had the brains to head to the hospital when the symptoms first started.

Ugh.
Old 10-19-16, 12:54 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I do , without technology, I decide to get off and Push when the rate goes too High, and rest more on the way Up.
Old 10-19-16, 01:07 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Like an American Express card - I never leave home (for a ride) without it.
Old 10-19-16, 01:42 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by wthensler
Somewhere I have a heart monitor that straps to my chest for riding, but I misplaced it. I'm riding in a 70 miler this weekend and was wondering, more out of curiosity, what my rate would be here in flat Florida. I ride pretty steady at about 18 mph, can converse when riding.....At the gym, I also do cardio, and on the spinner when I'm out of breath, I top off around 150.

I'm 59, in good shape, and guessing I should be good to about 160 bpm for short durations. But I suspect I'm nowhere near that when I've settled during a nice pace and cadence. Anyone have experience they can relay to me?

I wear a HR monitor on every ride. It's a great indicator of how I'm riding if you're conscious of all the variables associated with heart rates.

It sounds like your 160 bpm is equivalent to my 180 bpm. My HR is well documented to be higher than average. If you're okay with that assumption, that would mean your 160 is about 93% of your MAX HR. That would make your Max around 172. HR depends on a lot of variables such as stress, rest, hydration and training. For this discussion let's just assume that for your Florida group ride all those variables are in the normal range. If you're riding at your normal conversational pace I'd expect your heart rate to be about 70% of Max or about 120+/-. However if folks push the pace and you're riding harder than a conversational pace it might be 75%-80% of Max or 129-135 bpm. For situations where the pace is higher than normal a HR monitor is really useful data to have to keep from burning out too quickly.
Old 10-19-16, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by jppe
However if folks push the pace and you're riding harder than a conversational pace it might be 75%-80% of Max or 129-135 bpm. For situations where the pace is higher than normal a HR monitor is really useful data to have to keep from burning out too quickly.
Another instance where I keep a close eye on my HRM is on a fast-paced group ride. If I'm pulling and my HR is staying below 170, I know I can stay on the front. If I see my HR creep up to 174 or so, I know it's time to get off the front (my MHR is 180). Similarly, if I'm drafting in a group that is mostly stronger than me and my HR isn't below 160, then I know I had better not allow myself to get on the front or if I do, to stay just for a very short time. Otherwise, I'm in danger of blowing up and, eventually, getting dropped.
Old 10-19-16, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Of all the numbers I could display on my ancient Garmin Edge 305 hear rate is the one that I care about the most. It is like a tachometer on a car as far as showing how hard my engine is working. It is fun to play with different gear and cadence combinations to find how they impact my heart rate. I usually try to optimize for around 155 bpm since that is when I'm cruising well without panting. At 160-170 bpm I know that I'm at a good, sustainable exertion. In the 170's I'm either climbing or trying to push really hard. On steep climbs I sometimes pop into the low 180's.

Even after decades of riding I find that I often have to relearn things. For instance, I fell into the trap of trying to go faster by pushing a higher gear rather than spinning a low one. This would usually put me in the mid-150's. About two months ago I started working at spinning easier gears and was not only faster but saw a higher pulse rate (in the 160's).

You would think that it would be easy to gauge how hard your heart is working just by the strain of exertion, and I usually have a good idea of where I am. But there is nothing like looking down at the computer and getting an instant readout.
Old 10-19-16, 04:10 PM
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Your riding style is up to you, many of us try not to max out our HR on every ride. Normal training wisdom has it that one should vary hard rides with easy ones. This is actually one of the most useful reasons to wear a HRM. I can set a goal to have an easy ride where I keep my HR below, say, 120 BPM. If I get carried away with too great an effort, I can see on my Garmin that my HR is going a little higher than I want, and I ease off. Before I used the HRM, I would resolve at the outset of a ride to keep it nice and easy, then get too involved in the riding, and as the ride went on gradually and unintentionally increased my effort (and maybe raced to drop a Fred or two).

Back when I got the Garmin, and the whole HR stuff mattered, I was riding to within percentages of my max and all that goodly training stuff. I blew a massive hole in the back of my residual limb and found that I could not continue riding like that, and do other life stuff like work and go to the grocery store.
Since that time, I moved to a hilly area, don't ride much as I should, and mainly only to keep off weight and boredom. I don't ride to any particular percentage of my ability any more, so at the top of the hills my charts indicate just how close to that heart attack death I am really coming.
Old 10-19-16, 05:37 PM

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Heart Rate Monitor

I always use one and review the curves on Garmin Connect and Strava after the ride.
Old 10-19-16, 05:38 PM

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Jeez, I never thought I would get all the insightful comments back from the cycling audience. I am more curious now than ever and will either find the old one or buy new. I 'settle' pretty well, so my guess is in the 130's and over 160 during strains, this on rides of 30-40 miles, my usual ride - but time will tell. Thanks so much, everyone!!
Old 10-19-16, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an HRM but only use it as an occasional "brain calibration" device. Many years of routine exercise and I'm day-to-day good with listening to my body. HRM also be good for a diag tool if something feels too far off.
Old 10-19-16, 10:17 PM
Lawman

Bikes: Spec. Tarmac Expert SL4

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heart rate

I am 66. My max HR is 176 which I sometimes hit at the top of THE HILL. If I try a little harder, I start to feel faint. If I keep my HR at 160 - 165; I am working hard, I cannot talk, my legs are hurting, but I am OK. I can keep riding, slowly on the flat at the top of THE HILL but I am panting like an exhausted cheetah for several minutes. My riding buddy has done THE HILL twice in the same time and can talk. I ride THE HILL twice a week. My kids have promised to spread my ashes on the hill when I die. JHGLAW
Old 10-20-16, 12:05 AM

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
When I was on a beta blocker my internist wanted me to keep HR < 130 so I was using a Polar chest strap / wrist watch combo. What I found with the beta blocker it was hard for me to exceed 130. If I did my legs gave out before anything else.

scott s.
Old 10-20-16, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I wear a HR monitor on every ride. It's a great indicator of how I'm riding if you're conscious of all the variables associated with heart rates.

<snip>
I just added a power meter to go along with the HR monitor... Adding he PM sure makes things more interesting!
Old 10-20-16, 08:08 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
I've used a HR monitor for many years on almost every run or ride. It took on new meaning a few years ago when I developed an arrhythmia (ventricular tachycardia) I had an ICD implanted and since then I've had two ablations and the second one seems to have resolved the issue. The point is I don't really rely on HR when training, as long as it doesn't get wonky, but I do rely on a power meter. The PM gives me more useful information than the HR Monitor as far as training is concerned.
Old 10-20-16, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Back when I got the Garmin, and the whole HR stuff mattered, I was riding to within percentages of my max and all that goodly training stuff. I blew a massive hole in the back of my residual limb and found that I could not continue riding like that, and do other life stuff like work and go to the grocery store.
Since that time, I moved to a hilly area, don't ride much as I should, and mainly only to keep off weight and boredom. I don't ride to any particular percentage of my ability any more, so at the top of the hills my charts indicate just how close to that heart attack death I am really coming.

I have no idea what this means, but I hope it worked out OK..
Old 10-21-16, 06:09 AM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Comp

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the mio fuze and have a whole lot of spin classes and rides on it. If you use Map my ride one of the screens will show you the elevation changes of the ride with the heart rate on the same chart. In the electronics section of this forum HRM were discussed and there is a lot of good info there.
Old 10-21-16, 08:37 AM
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I use an HRM and a power meter on every ride. If the ratio of HR numbers to power numbers is off in any direction, I know to diagnose the problem before hitting things hard. (Most commonly, it's a problem of dehydration or some minor illness.) Over time, I use the ratio of HR to power to check my training progress. If my power numbers are going up (over time) for a given heart rate, I'm growing stronger. If the ratio becomes stagnant or goes down, I know it's time to change training routines.
Old 10-24-16, 10:12 PM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I use a HRM every now and then, mostly for checking out 1 and 2 minutes recovery time. My MHR is higher than standard (189 at 65yrs old) but my cardiologist said it's not to worry, something else should fail before my heart does!
Old 10-25-16, 09:34 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
As you can see there are huge variations from person to person which is why so many have said something like "we can't tell you...". The fellow that is 59 but can hit 192 is unusual. Most folks would fall over dead before getting to 192 at that age. One of the great things you'll learn as you use one regularly is how to extend your distance. Percieved effort is useful but keeping an eye on HR will let you keep it 5 beats lower than you usually do and you can use that to move from ... 40 to 80miles...or from 60 to 100miles... There is always an inverse relationship between effort and distance. The harder you ride the shorter the ride will be and if you learn you can hold 135 for a few hours you'll know you can hold 130 for longer... My longest ride (I'm 65 with two heart attacks under my belt) is 132mountainous miles and I am sure I only did it because I forced myself to hold my HR to 125 and didn't give in to my enthusiasm. I find days when I'm breathing hard at 135 and others when I can hold 150 for a bit without gasping. Things do vary but a HR monitor gives you the best information you can get regarding what your effort is, short of a power meter, which is much, much more useful but more expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.