Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Helmet suspension straps

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Helmet suspension straps

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-05, 12:47 PM

Bikes: mtn bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet suspension straps

I have a Giro "Gila" helmet I bought in 98. It has kept me out of the emergency room at least twice.

The inner webbing / strapping is wearing out. I have searched using Google and have not been able to find replacement webbing / strapping. Does anyone know if the inner webbing / Strapping can be replaced - and if so - who to contact?

Tom
Old 05-21-05, 02:12 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rusht8205
I have a Giro "Gila" helmet I bought in 98. It has kept me out of the emergency room at least twice.

The inner webbing / strapping is wearing out. I have searched using Google and have not been able to find replacement webbing / strapping. Does anyone know if the inner webbing / Strapping can be replaced - and if so - who to contact?

Tom
Hate to say it but if the straps are wearing out- The helmets had it. 7 years from a helmet and only two hard accidents on it!! One is enough for me to have replaced the helmet and in fact I am now on my 4th helmet in 3 years. Admit it- Your trusty old friend is getting old and it is about time it is pensioned off.
Old 05-21-05, 03:02 PM

Bikes: mtn bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks - I suspect you are right

Tom
Old 05-21-05, 03:05 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Every helmet manufacturer warns that if the helmet has saved your melon, replace it. It is possible the helmet has damage that is not visible and could lead to serious injury in the next incident.

I have listed my helmet at the top of the list of insurance claims the couple of times a driver has put me down. When the insurance adjuster tells you that the helmet looks fine; look him/her in the eye and tell them that "You and I both know that every helmet manufacturer tells us to replace any helmet that has been in an accident." Neither adjuster gave me any further grief about the rest of my claim.