Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Hopefully I've had my last. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1085314-hopefully-ive-had-my-last.html)

Imabmwnut 10-23-16 09:33 AM

Hopefully I've had my last.

I did my last chemo treatment the 14th of October. It was a Doosey. I felt awful. I had neuropathy in my feet. I ran a fever. I had body aches. And I think I'm finally coming out of it. My wife has been my biggest champion. And now I can say that I'm going to be officially retired on Halloween. My retirement packet has been filled out,signed and Express Mailed to the Office of Personnel Management. This has been a whirlwind and some days my head still spins. Can I afford to do this? Well I guess I'm going to find out. While I was planning my life I was also planning the outcome. And as I found out,change is the only constant thing we have. I did not want to retire because I got sick. I wanted to retire because I got the things done that needed to be done. Well I didn't quite get the house paid off but it is manageable. So a new world awaits me as right now I'm cancer free. Don't take life for granted. Don't sweat the small stuff. Heck don't sweat the big stuff. Do what you want to do while you still can. Love. Love each other. Tell others you love them. Never stop learning. If we're teachable we're save able. Well enough. It's a beautiful fall day in NW Arkansas and I'm going to walk my little Scottish Terrorists today.

fietsbob 10-23-16 09:42 AM

My 69th birthday, Yesterday.. I Hope It's Not My Last ..

Best wishes for your health returning ..

rob214 10-23-16 03:14 PM

God bless and hope you have many more wonderful days.

bikemig 10-23-16 03:27 PM

That's a great post. Thank you for sharing, good luck, and keep pedaling.

drniox 10-23-16 04:14 PM

Congratulations on your retirement and being cancer free.

wthensler 10-23-16 04:21 PM

Wonderful post. My wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at 48 two years ago. It sure does throw you a curve ball.

My wishes are that you remain cancer free and are able to get back on the bicycle.

freedomrider1 10-23-16 04:56 PM

Awesome post. Very happy for you, and thanks for the words of advice.

Biker395 10-23-16 05:07 PM

Great post! I'm following your advice to the letter!

hefeweizen 10-23-16 05:07 PM

Great post, thanks. Best of luck to you.

1989Pre 10-23-16 05:11 PM

Thanks for the good word, Ima (check out polarity therapy). Happy birthday, Fiets.

doctor j 10-23-16 08:35 PM

Congratulations on your last treatment, cancer-free, and retirement. Enjoy!

rnothog 10-23-16 08:47 PM

Woohoo!

Great post!

Best wishes for a long, happy, healthy retirement!!

donheff 10-24-16 06:12 AM

Good luck and enjoy retirement. I just had a potential stage 5 cancer scare (sclerotic lesions on the hip I broke a month ago). It turns out to be a false alarm for me but I do understand how things can change suddenly. I hope your cancer is fully knocked back so you can get on with life - and riding.

BobbyG 10-24-16 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Imabmwnut (Post 19142325)
And as I found out,change is the only constant thing we have.

Mazel Tov! Continued health, and may your strength increase!

Originally Posted by wthensler (Post 19143021)
It sure does throw you a curve ball.

Not only will life throw you a mean curve ball, it often aims at your sensitive parts.

For me the saving graces in life have been a patient, understanding and loving wife (and family), cycling, and participating in improv comedy. Improv trains your brain to accept the unexpected in stride and incorporate it into a positive narrative.

Good luck and fortune to us all, and especially to Imabmwnut; bringing a bicycle to the cancer treatment center and riding it as long as you did was inspirational!

CrankyFranky 10-25-16 05:39 AM

Yes sir - thank you and happy trails! Got to go walk my Rat Terrorist.

Doc_Wui 10-29-16 09:58 PM

Glad to hear of the good results!

AdvXtrm 10-31-16 03:53 AM

Great post, and glad you are doing better and cancer free! While not cancer, I was recently in a very serious motorcycle collision that put me in the hospital for quite sometime, including a stint in the local convalescent hospital because I was unable to care for myself. I'm recovering quite well, but some of the injuries will be with me for the rest o my life, including the partial paralyzation and wasting away of my shoulder. Since the collision, and while still in that bed in the convalescent hospital, I decided to give up motorcycles and take up bicycling instead, which was quite an idea being that I was total crippled at the time, but I had hope. Here's to many many wonderful and adventurous days ahead for both of us still yet!

jppe 10-31-16 04:56 AM

Enjoy today to the Max!!!

h2oxtc 10-31-16 10:34 PM

Awesome post. Congrats on the retirement, today!!!