Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Oh, oh, looks like someone didn't follow

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Oh, oh, looks like someone didn't follow

Old 12-04-16, 06:13 PM

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Just curious. Do you have kids?
Nope. But I was a kid and the difference in the kids of the sixties and these of the teens, wow . I have plenty of nieces and nephews I can borrow whenever I need a dose.

I also taught school, of the several masters degrees I have, one is in secondary education and I worked with autistic children for a while. But then I needed to go back to making money. I was/am autistic, fortunately I cope and occasionally act normal, high level, mild.

Do not take a general statement as a specific. General statements fall apart when applied to individuals, nonetheless, I have observed exactly what the OP described. Mommy and daddy, waiting in an SUV one hundred yards from their house for a school bus when the school is within easy riding distance and the weather is fine. Apparently they cannot walk 100 yards without supervision, much less a mile or so to school.

So, yeah, I will stay with what I said as a general categorization of the children of Millennials. Everyone gets a trophy even if they came in last. And I will add another, losing taught me how to win and when I did not win, to lose graciously. Another lesson lost upon sugar britches and snowflake.

I see children get on and off the buses, I know there are some, I see none walking, playing, exploring the way we did, on their own, with no supervision.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 12-04-16 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-04-16, 06:48 PM

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Bulldog starting to sound like doge. But I get it, I have some talented kids myself.

On topic, the same characteristics exhibited by today's youth can be found anywhere. Whether you work in an office,
Old 12-04-16, 06:53 PM
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
...Whether you work in an office,
Man, don't get me started on young professionals. Let the spoon-feeding and coddling continue.
Old 12-04-16, 06:58 PM

Bulldog starting to sound like doge. But I get it, I have some talented kids myself.

On topic, the same characteristics exhibited by today's youth can be found anywhere. Whether you work in an office, retail, warehouse,etc.
You're gonna find some hard workers, good offs, some that do just their job, and some who do just enough to complain about others. Kinda like what we're doing here.
To OP, as 50 plusers, we can remember that one or two overweight kid in the whole school. Now there are more in one class than not. Elementary school age kids who have 40 year old bodies of our parents. Who let this happen and how?
We all did.
Old 12-04-16, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Panda sushi
Nah, in most cases (other than medical conditions like thyroid, etc.) that's on the parents and the many poor choices that they have made.

It's not on me, you, or anyone else.

Trying to shame "society" for lthe poor decisions that some parents make is nonsensical.
If you're a parent, sure its on you. But what about the ad agencies that tell us more is better and the company that pushes more is better and the school systems that have recess twice a week. The grandparents that say you have to eat everything on your plate and the fast food industry who's small drink is yesteryear's large and on and on ....
Yeah I think its the parents and everyone else too.

Last edited by texaspandj; 12-04-16 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-04-16, 07:57 PM

This is nonsense. I, as a parent, am responsible for my kids.

I'm not responsible for the poor choices that other parents make. Their choices aren't "on me." Been there, done that through years of volunteer work with many peoples' kids. Some had good parents, some had crappy parents.

Why is this so hard for you to understand?
You are not above peer pressure. You have made decisions based on societal conformity just like everyone else. Don't kid yourself, you're a product of this environment, just like your neighbor.
As a parent we have responsibilities sure. And a good parent will attempt to make good decisions for their child, Great! However once that child leaves your presence you can only hope and pray they continue the right path. But how many kids d you see who you feel had a good parent with good resources yet still became a menace to society. Stuff happens, and we all contribute in one way or another.
Old 12-04-16, 08:04 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Enough guys.

The relative roles of society and family in various social ills is an old debate that fills many volumes in the sociology literature, popular books and journalism, and, probably uncountable threads on internet forums.

You guys have made your positions clear enough.

Basta.
Old 12-04-16, 08:23 PM

More nonsense. At least you're consistent (ref: 'Who let this happen and how?
We all did.")
Why did you choose the last pair of pants,shoes,shirt, golf clubs, etc? Why did you choose the last restaurant you ate at? Well that same type of influence can influence anyone about anything. Whether a kid should go outside and play or play the latest video game. Who says that latest video game is the best? Who says we should be able to turn off the lights, make a call, order pizza, find your phone with out getting up and just by saying it? Who decided the easy non physical way is better? We all did.
Let me make it perfectly clear I'm not necessarily a proponent of it takes a village to raise a child but I know how much the village can influence a child and an adult.
There are a thousand books/ways on how to raise a child. But one thing is certain no matter how good of a parent you are, ultimately that child will have to make their own decisions based on influences.
Old 12-04-16, 08:37 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
There are a thousand books/ways on how to raise a child. But one thing is certain no matter how good of a parent you are, ultimately that child will have to make their own decisions based on influences.
Yes, but peer pressure and the effects of outside influences are a cop out. Of course there's peer pressure, and we're all influenced by what's out there to entice us. But we ultimately are able to make choices.

Peer pressure has been out there for decades, if not centuries or millennia, but my mom had something better. he had the "Brooklyn Bridge". Anytime the "everybody's doing it.." argument was raised, she'd ask whether, if my friends jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge......? That usually ended it, but she had other fall back defenses, so in the end I had to learn to make my own choices regardless of what others did.

I realize that not everyone lives close to the Brooklyn Bridge, but every parent has tools to raise heir kids according to a family culture, despite the pressure of outside influences. I don't claim it's easy, but it's not impossible.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-04-16, 08:50 PM
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Why are we blaming the kids? It's the parents that set the agenda, and decide what the family culture will be. Of course there's pressure to offer kids "all the opportunities...." and there plenty of people who'll provide them for a buck or thousand.

But, unless parents foster or support this culture, the kids will adapt and grow with whatever is provided. Part of the issue isn't the peer pressure that we all say the kids feel, it's the peer pressure of the parents who want don't want to be seen as shorting their kids.
When I meet someone who badmouths their kids, it always rubs me the wrong way.
I'm sure I've made that too clear with some people on camping trips or NASCAR tailgating weekend - whatever boys were doing.

Maybe I'm lucky to have a sweet, talented, and driven daughter, who likes to fish, shoot, kayak, ride bikes, and collect knives.

If you think you really do have a reason to badmouth your kids, who has let down whom?
They're the future - they're the reason we're here.

I taught my girls to fish at 3 and 4. (this really isn't about fishing, the context fits for any Activity)
But to do that, you really don't teach them - you facilitate their desire.
Take them places where they will have fun whether they fish or not. Take their friends along.
Give them pointers, not lessons.
If they want to do the other thing - pick flowers, go find the dinosaur tracks, bring a crayfish home and start an aquarium - that's just as much fun for everybody, and they're going to want to go "fishing" again.
If you're worried about sedentary kids, find their interest, plug into it, and get them up and out.
I've got a buddy who raised his girls on horses, because that's what worked for them (we all fish together, too).
One of his daughters is a doctor and the other is a lawyer.

Last edited by bulldog1935; 12-04-16 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-05-16, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
So what should we do now?

If you're not working toward a solution then you're only whining about a problem.
Again, the oldest of the 1965-1974 cohort are now here in 50-plus. The youngest will be here in 8 years.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 12-05-16 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-05-16, 10:49 AM
BKE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I know exactly where you are coming from, but be careful. Those of us who have found cycling and seen the benefits to our mental and physical health tend to develop an attitude about others who have not. If only they would see the light and start cycling or doing some other exercise! They wouldn't be unhealthy/fat/unhappy/etc. Those of us in this forum know that you have the facts on your side, but facts don't always change minds. On a human scale, this sort of judgmental attitude is usually unwelcome if you try to share it outside of the circle of those who already have found an active lifestyle. It can have a flavor not unlike evangelism.

I doubt any of you took to cycling because some know-it-all told you that they knew what was good for you better than you knew yourself. You had to find your way to this lifestyle by yourself.
No attitude. I've been around for quite awhile and know how people are. I've been very active for most of my life and know it's not for everyone. It's just an observation and I don't mean to judge unless feeling sorry is a form of judgement.
Old 12-05-16, 11:16 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by BKE
No attitude. I've been around for quite awhile and know how people are. I've been very active for most of my life and know it's not for everyone. It's just an observation and I don't mean to judge unless feeling sorry is a form of judgement.
It is. Try telling somebody you feel sorry for them because they look out of shape and then ask them if they think you are being judgmental. Of course, when we keep our judgements to ourselves, they are less harmful.

Last edited by MinnMan; 12-05-16 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-05-16, 01:46 PM
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I think in every generation there's a inherent smugness of sorts that theirs is better/smarter/tougher (insert adjective ad naseaum ad finitum) than the previous and the subsequent generations. It's part of the human condition, and that's ok.
Old 12-05-16, 01:50 PM

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 79 Posts
I think Bulldog wins this thread. He does remind me of my father. We were taught how to fish early on. In the dead of winter he would haul us out to a hiking trail that had the trees labeled by species. We were basically given a bb gun, a fishing pole, and a faux Schwinn Stingray and told to "figure it out". We lived .90 miles from school and we were required to walk. If you lived in town there was no bus service. He took a two week summer vacation with us each summer that involved camping and fishing far from home.

I am quite discouraged with parents who haul their kid to this event, then haul their kid to that event, back and forth, back and forth.. The parents are always stressed to the max.

Now to be fair I also see similar issues with my own life. Early in my career I worked outside surveying. Now I am chained to this computer. Additionally, amazing things like Netflix and Amazon Prime just further my slothfulness.
Old 12-10-16, 10:07 AM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
These are always interesting threads.

Like many here, I grew up during the 60s. We were now what are referred to as "Free Range Children". This is to say we simply did our own thing. We rode our bikes, played un-organized sports, and explored. No one got kidnapped or assaulted by the local sex offender, which seem to be everywhere today. We rode bikes to school, or just walked. No one was driven to school, or picked up, unless there was a reason for it, such as medical, or being picked up for a family trip. Oh yeah,, there was the occasional cut, bruise, or bang. No one sued because of it.

Today, I do not see any kids walking to school, and all I hear about are music lessons, dancing lessons, organized sports (Soccer is most popular, reason unknown) and every activity supervised. I don't think the kids are having fun, at all. Just saying..

Summertime: Gotta have the right summer camp. Everyone I know who has kids frets every spring about getting their kids into the "right" summer camp. Help me out here, I don't know what the "right" summer camp is. I would guess it does not involve making stuff out of Gimp, archery, or swimming.

I have no idea where this is all going to lead.

Pretty much my 2¢.
Old 12-10-16, 11:05 AM
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bulldog1935
my daughter is a nationally ranked (cadet) HS wrestler and can whip all her grandparents together.

and she never lived in a box in the middle of the road

and in 1905, all kids worked at the factory 12 hours/day.

These threads have gone this way since Socrates.

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

Last edited by bulldog1935; 12-10-16 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-10-16, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
These are always interesting threads.

Like many here, I grew up during the 60s. We were now what are referred to as "Free Range Children". This is to say we simply did our own thing. We rode our bikes, played un-organized sports, and explored. No one got kidnapped or assaulted by the local sex offender, which seem to be everywhere today. We rode bikes to school, or just walked. No one was driven to school, or picked up, unless there was a reason for it, such as medical, or being picked up for a family trip. Oh yeah,, there was the occasional cut, bruise, or bang. No one sued because of it.

Today, I do not see any kids walking to school, and all I hear about are music lessons, dancing lessons, organized sports (Soccer is most popular, reason unknown) and every activity supervised. I don't think the kids are having fun, at all. Just saying..

Summertime: Gotta have the right summer camp. Everyone I know who has kids frets every spring about getting their kids into the "right" summer camp. Help me out here, I don't know what the "right" summer camp is. I would guess it does not involve making stuff out of Gimp, archery, or swimming.

I have no idea where this is all going to lead.

Pretty much my 2¢.
Work it out... it is a (comparatively) non-contact sport. Also, it is the world game despite what Americans think of their version of football and baseball.
Old 12-10-16, 08:44 PM
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Soccer is democratic - the size of the player doesn't matter.
Old 12-11-16, 05:18 AM

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 201 Posts
This thread has been illuminating. I am so glad I chose to have no children. And soccer must be an acquired taste, because I can never make myself watch more than a few seconds of it.
Old 12-11-16, 08:27 AM
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
yeah, but we can always watch our kids - I am the world's biggest wrestling fan.

ok, not exactly true, but it has a huge entertainment value for me whenever any member of our team is on the mat.
There are some parents who sweat blood whenever their child is on the mat, and that can be entertaining, too (though you try not to show it).

Last edited by bulldog1935; 12-11-16 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-11-16, 11:25 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
This thread has been illuminating. I am so glad I chose to have no children. And soccer must be an acquired taste, because I can never make myself watch more than a few seconds of it.
It is a taste that has been acquired by virtually every country in the world. Well worth the perseverence.(a bit like beer and whisky).

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 12-11-16 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-11-16, 01:32 PM
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I'm a big wrestling fan too. Although admittedly I haven't watched as much since Kelly Kelly retired.
Old 12-11-16, 06:02 PM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Ah youth. Remember when we all walked thirty miles uphill both ways in the snow to school? Or was it fifty miles through the desert?

Anyway, one thing that was real is that the Boomers definitely were a physically active generation of Americans. We were young when the record for bicycle sales happened, 1974, and it's still the record in spite of a growing population. The jogging boom was us. The aerobics/Jane Fonda thing was us. If it involved exercise, we were into it. Even Title 9, which mandated equal opportunities for females, happened while we were young and meant that female Boomers also got the opportunity to exercise and compete.

Sadly, over the past thirty years the roads in front of our schools are no longer filled with children riding bikes and running, it's full of SUV's and minivans picking up and dropping off students. No children ride their bikes to the park to play, they have organized play dates that they are driven to. All this youthful sitting has now caught up with our younger nieces and nephews. Stroke rates are on the rise for people under 55, by a lot. Not surprisingly, they are dropping for us Boomers, but that just means we get to bury too many youngsters.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/29/we...?smid=fb-share
That is up hill both ways thru waist deep snow beating off the wolves with my Roy Rogers lunch box.