Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Glucosamine, yea or nay?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Glucosamine, yea or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-17, 06:17 PM

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
https://nyti.ms/2k7bOT7

This study indicates that placebos are more effective. Not necessarily a bad thing as if you feel you are being helped then you are in some sense. Still, if the cost of supplements were a burden, I'd be on the side of studies.

Good health.
Old 01-29-17, 10:11 AM

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I took glucosamine for decades for a knee that had to be scoped. I also have a hip with arthritis. Then a couple of years ago I stopped taking it. I noticed no difference afterwards. Count me as a statistical sample of one.
Old 02-05-17, 11:06 PM
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I've tried on and off for a few years.

Didn't seem to help back, ankle, knee, or toe.

It did give me stomach ache.

On the other hand, high quality curcumin and full strength ginger juice seem to help.
Old 02-06-17, 01:37 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
This is timely. I was discussing glucosamine with a friend this morning who is trying her best to put off knee replacement surgery. Stupid question:

It seems to me that rather than argue about whether it works or not, simply try it and see. And if the placebo effect is at play, who cares? As long as you're in less pain, your good. Well ... Unless there are negative side effects.

Which brings me to my question ... Are there any studies pointing to negative side effects associated with taking glucosamine?
Old 02-06-17, 01:57 PM
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Are there any studies pointing to negative side effects associated with taking glucosamine?
From examine.com:
Glucosamine is very safe to supplement and its most common side-effect is flatulence.
You've been warned.

The General Safety writeup:
Doses of up to 2000mg a day have been deemed most likely safe for long-term side effects in a risk assessment[187] while multiple meta-analysis' conducted on the usage of Glucosamine (usually as Sulphate) at doses of up to 1,500mg (with or without the inclusion of up to 1,200mg Chondroitin Sulphate) note that these doses are not associated with side-effects that are more prevalent than placebo treatment.[42][117][34][43] In regards to position statements on Glucosamine by the Osteoarthritis Research Society International (OARSI[14][15]), the European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR[16][17]) the American College of Rheumatology[18] and the UK National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence[13] Glucosamine is generally recognized as a safe nutritional intervention (the positions seem split on the efficacy thereof, but safety appears to be consensus).

Glucosamine supplementation at or around the most commonly used dosage of 1,500mg appears to be quite a safe supplemental intervention as assessd by previous human trials and toxicological studies
They also note:
Although there does not appear to be a large adverse interaction between glucosamine and diabetes (some schools of thought believe that glucosamine induces insulin resistance, which doesn't appear to be that reliable in humans after oral ingestion) it still seems to be prudent to ask a medical doctor about using glucosamine if one is pre-diabetic or diabetic

Although glucosamine per se is not allergenic, other bioactives from its source (shellfish) may be found in some dietary supplements and thus persons with shellfish allergies should take caution in using glucosamine supplementation

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 02-24-17, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
My wife has osteo arthritis and Celedrin seems to be very effective in giving relief. She has been on it for a month and has really noticed a big difference. My wife is very active..works out everyday.

Mike A.
Old 03-04-17, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Glucosamine/Chondroitin pills seem to keep my joints from popping from simple movements - without them, and after regular vigorous exercise or cycling, I can make my ankles pop from a simple side-to-side motion, and my knees and wrists will pop more frequently. The cost of taking them consistently, however, is prohibitive; I haven't taken them for a few years, and just live with the popping.
Old 03-04-17, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
To me, it has always been a preventive measure to reduce the rate of deterioration in healthy joints. Using it to try to repair damage already done is unlikely to be helpful.

FWIW, I have take it regularly for at least the past decade. My joints were healthy to start with and appear to have remained that way since.

If heredity has an influence, I am doing better than my parents who both showed signs of joint deterioration starting at my current age.

Regular exercise/activity that helps strengthen supporting ligaments, tendons and muscles also might be helpful.
Old 03-05-17, 07:01 PM

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Works for me. I take a pill with Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, turmeric (curcumin) and propolis. It helps my body aches and pains all over and has been helping with a worn knee and hip. Can only prove what I know, and only to myself.
Old 03-05-17, 07:14 PM
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
No. That stuff gave me the ****s something awful. Omega 3 supplements seem to help my joints as well as keeping my weight down.
Old 03-05-17, 07:19 PM

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Switched from the hydrochloride to the sulfate about a month ago.

It seems to make a difference now.
Old 03-06-17, 09:50 PM

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I've settled on Osteo-Bioflex as well. Does it help? I have no statistical proof. Then again, I started it after other glucosimin supplements. And, after left total knee replacement. I was trying to save my other knee. At least my shoulder feels better. My right knee is on the path to replacement as well. Had it scoped last summer. Looking for the gel now... I have other issues that are resolving.