Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How I spent My Christmas vacation

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How I spent My Christmas vacation

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-17, 01:56 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR

Of course, as soon as I was back home I grabbed my bike and rode up GMR/GRR to Mt. Baldy Village but still . . . a little time off the time was a good thing.

Rick / OCRR
If you "had" to take time off you couldn't ask for a nicer ride to get back to. I'm jealous. With outdoor temperatures of 0 degF my riding will be limited to the trainer with only the memories of riding GMR/GRR. I'm glad that you took the time to spend with family ... its a fleeting pleasure to be enjoyed.
Old 01-08-17, 09:58 AM

Bikes: rockhopper w/26x2.5 rear

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
My wife gives me a headache.

(I wouldn't have lost 70lbs without her help....or have a big house.....a little dog named Gizmo......3 beautiful kids.....etc.)
Old 01-08-17, 07:00 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by h2oxtc
If you "had" to take time off you couldn't ask for a nicer ride to get back to. I'm jealous. With outdoor temperatures of 0 degF my riding will be limited to the trainer with only the memories of riding GMR/GRR. I'm glad that you took the time to spend with family ... its a fleeting pleasure to be enjoyed.
Very true h2oxtc , I agree with both points. It was fun and good times to spend with my family and especially the grand kids but also I am very lucky to have GMR/GRR and similar lovely climbing roads so close to home!

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-10-17, 11:56 AM
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
A few years back my wife ran into a rough patch and divorce seemed inevitable.
There was a fascinating study that showed that two out of three unhappily married adults who avoided divorce or separation ended up happily married five years later. Just one out of five of unhappy spouses who divorced or separated had happily remarried in the same time period.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 01-10-17, 11:59 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,975 Times in 565 Posts
Originally Posted by chunkymonkeybik

(I wouldn't have.....a little dog named Gizmo.....etc.)
Great name!

Old 01-10-17, 12:05 PM

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Wow! You owe your wife a nice dinner out, at the very least. It always pays to listen to your body, particularly as you get older.
Old 01-10-17, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by SloButWide
There was a fascinating study that showed that two out of three unhappily married adults who avoided divorce or separation ended up happily married five years later. Just one out of five of unhappy spouses who divorced or separated had happily remarried in the same time period.
I am not familiar with that study. I am, however, so glad that we were able to work it out and will be able to celebrate our 40th anniversary later this year.
Old 01-10-17, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by tarwheel
Wow! You owe your wife a nice dinner out, at the very least. It always pays to listen to your body, particularly as you get older.
Agreed, I owe her the dinner and a lot more. The nice dinner has already been taken care of, the "lot more" will be coming soon.

I am indeed fortunate to have her as my wife, friend and companion. Unlike some of my friends who have to hide their bike purchases and/or have to "make" time to ride, my wife has never, not once, objected to any of my bike purchases. And when it comes to riding time she has never complained about my passion, (or obssession) for riding.

I am indeed a happy and blessed man.
Old 01-10-17, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by chunkymonkeybik

(I wouldn't have lost 70lbs without her help....or have a big house.....a little dog named Gizmo......3 beautiful kids.....etc.)
Lucky man!
Old 01-10-17, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Sounds like it was maybe sorta a close call.
Glad you'll be riding later in the year.
It was a close call...it could have been far more serious.

Now I just can't wait to get back on the road!
Old 01-13-17, 04:35 PM

Bikes: Trek 520 total custom build, Cannondale Mountain Tandem, Oryx Mountain Bike

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
This year, for the first time in a very long time, I took vacation from December 23 through January 3. The plan was to ride the heck out of my new Colnago Master.

Alas, however, life has a funny way to turn one's plans around.

I had been experiencing severe headaches for several weeks. Like any self-respecting 60 years old weekend warrior, I kept thinking that Tylenol and more exercise would make the headaches go away. After all, pain is just weakness leaving the body, right? And I had my gorgeous, sexy Master to ride, so what could go wrong?

Well, my wife who is far wiser than me in all things, finally dragged me to the doctor. One brain MRI later they found a subdural hematoma on the left side of my brain.

A cranial angiogram disclosed that the hematoma was caused by a small leak in a brain blood vessel. The neurosurgeon performed emergency surgery and fixed the fistula (leak) using superglue yep that's right super glue!

The doctor said that had the vessel ruptured, especially while riding, or climbing, I could have faced a stroke, or even death. So I consider myself extremely fortunate and blessed.

I am now home resting comfortably. No more headaches, but no bike riding for at least a month.

On the down side, I did not get to ride my new bike and did not get to meet my annual mileage goal.

On the plus side, my wife and I spent a lot of together quality time, albeit in a hospital room, I came home to our new rescue German shepherd and my bikes are all clean, waxed and ready to ride as soon as my doctor drops the starter's flag!

Be safe out there and listen to your body's signals...it is trying to warn you.
Glad to hear all worked out all right for you. Happy New Year! And Merry Christmas! I am glad you are still here to tell us about your issue.
3 christmases ago, my family and I arrived in Florida, as we normally do. My mother had mentioned to me in a phone call the day before, "when you get here, check out your dad. Something seems different." Yeah, different alright. He wasn't speaking. And driving home from the airport driving excessively fast. On Christmas eve, we finally talked him into going to emergency to get checked out. The MRI showed he HAD a bleed on the brain. Subsequent MRI's showed that the bleeding had stopped itself, and it seemed he was out of danger. I have never seen my dad cry-until that day.
We were in a wait and see mode. They did not classify it as a stroke, thankfully. Over the next several seeks and months, his speech returned, he got a better handle on driving, and is pretty well back to normal. With a couple of exceptions. He has a shorter temper, which is really upsetting Mom, and his short term memory is pretty well gone. The following August they left to walk The Camino, starting in France and finishing in Finistere, Spain (That's about 600 miles of walking/hiking). Upon our arrival that Christmas, his first words to me at the airport were not, Hi! It was we are doing the Camino next year. I told him no, I am riding my bike across Canada next year, but we can do it the following year.
That brings us to August of 2016. Dad and I finished The Camino in 32 days starting in St Jean Pied du Port and ending in Santiago de Compestella. (502 miles) We just got back from Florida last week, and both parents are doing fine - both in their 76th year. So this story has a happy ending.
No doctor can explain why Dad had this "episode". Both parents work out 3 hours, 3 days a week. It is a work out that most 50 year olds that I know, would struggle with. It was a challenge for me, and I work out! And their diet contains no red meat, or pork, or wheat, flour, conventional bread, hard booze, etc, you get the idea.
Count your blessings and take care of yourself!
Old 01-25-17, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by LuckySailor
Glad to hear all worked out all right for you. Happy New Year! And Merry Christmas! I am glad you are still here to tell us about your issue.
3 christmases ago, my family and I arrived in Florida, as we normally do. My mother had mentioned to me in a phone call the day before, "when you get here, check out your dad. Something seems different." Yeah, different alright. He wasn't speaking. And driving home from the airport driving excessively fast. On Christmas eve, we finally talked him into going to emergency to get checked out. The MRI showed he HAD a bleed on the brain. Subsequent MRI's showed that the bleeding had stopped itself, and it seemed he was out of danger. I have never seen my dad cry-until that day.
We were in a wait and see mode. They did not classify it as a stroke, thankfully. Over the next several seeks and months, his speech returned, he got a better handle on driving, and is pretty well back to normal. With a couple of exceptions. He has a shorter temper, which is really upsetting Mom, and his short term memory is pretty well gone. The following August they left to walk The Camino, starting in France and finishing in Finistere, Spain (That's about 600 miles of walking/hiking). Upon our arrival that Christmas, his first words to me at the airport were not, Hi! It was we are doing the Camino next year. I told him no, I am riding my bike across Canada next year, but we can do it the following year.
That brings us to August of 2016. Dad and I finished The Camino in 32 days starting in St Jean Pied du Port and ending in Santiago de Compestella. (502 miles) We just got back from Florida last week, and both parents are doing fine - both in their 76th year. So this story has a happy ending.
No doctor can explain why Dad had this "episode". Both parents work out 3 hours, 3 days a week. It is a work out that most 50 year olds that I know, would struggle with. It was a challenge for me, and I work out! And their diet contains no red meat, or pork, or wheat, flour, conventional bread, hard booze, etc, you get the idea.
Count your blessings and take care of yourself!
Lucky Sailor, you and your Dad are blessed to be able to enjoy physical activity.

Your Dad is a testament to good, healthy living.

Enjoy!
Old 01-25-17, 10:48 AM

Update!

Well, my doctor has cleared me to go back to work and, equally important, to go back to riding.

This weekend, God willing and weather allowing, will be my first time back on the bike since early December.

Can't wait.
Old 01-25-17, 01:36 PM
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, my doctor has cleared me to go back to work and, equally important, to go back to riding.

This weekend, God willing and weather allowing, will be my first time back on the bike since early December.

Can't wait.
Congrats!

Here's to clear skies and tail winds!

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 01-25-17, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by SloButWide
Congrats!

Here's to clear skies and tail winds!
To tailwinds each direction...and downhills, also each direction.
Old 01-26-17, 07:13 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts

Can't wait.
Now that is the kind of news I can be happy about, enjoy that first ride after this layoff. Don't strain a face muscle from smiling and grinning so much, that would be really ironic.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-26-17, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Now that is the kind of news I can be happy about, enjoy that first ride after this layoff. Don't strain a face muscle from smiling and grinning so much, that would be really ironic.

Bill
Thank you my friend. I am smiling, indeed grinning, just thinking about that first ride.

The forecast is for warmer temps and a little bit of wind. That's OK as long as it doesn't rain like it has been raining for the past few weekends.
Old 01-29-17, 10:22 PM

Back on the bike

Today I did my first post surgery ride and my first ride since December 10.

I did not ride far, did not ride fast, did not do much climbing. But oh God did it feel good to throw a leg over my bike and go riding.

The weather was glorious, no wind, no rain, and temps in the high 60s to low 70s.

I felt a little sore and my butt ached during the ride, but everything felt great.

We often take our good health for granted, but when we don't have it, we sure miss it.

Life can dramatically change in a minute, nay it can change in a second. So enjoy every single second, be kind to each other, love your friends and family, love your espouse, show her (or him) how much they mean to you. Resolve to leave the world a little better than you found it.