Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How I spent My Christmas vacation

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-05-17, 07:00 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 277 Posts

This year, for the first time in a very long time, I took vacation from December 23 through January 3. The plan was to ride the heck out of my new Colnago Master.

Alas, however, life has a funny way to turn one's plans around.

I had been experiencing severe headaches for several weeks. Like any self-respecting 60 years old weekend warrior, I kept thinking that Tylenol and more exercise would make the headaches go away. After all, pain is just weakness leaving the body, right? And I had my gorgeous, sexy Master to ride, so what could go wrong?

Well, my wife who is far wiser than me in all things, finally dragged me to the doctor. One brain MRI later they found a subdural hematoma on the left side of my brain.

A cranial angiogram disclosed that the hematoma was caused by a small leak in a brain blood vessel. The neurosurgeon performed emergency surgery and fixed the fistula (leak) using superglue yep that's right super glue!

The doctor said that had the vessel ruptured, especially while riding, or climbing, I could have faced a stroke, or even death. So I consider myself extremely fortunate and blessed.

I am now home resting comfortably. No more headaches, but no bike riding for at least a month.

On the down side, I did not get to ride my new bike and did not get to meet my annual mileage goal.

On the plus side, my wife and I spent a lot of together quality time, albeit in a hospital room, I came home to our new rescue German shepherd and my bikes are all clean, waxed and ready to ride as soon as my doctor drops the starter's flag!

Be safe out there and listen to your body's signals...it is trying to warn you.
Old 01-05-17, 07:18 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 307 Posts
Cripes, man ... I'm glad that all turned out OK.

Wives are the reason married men live longer (pretty good Yogi Berraism, eh?).

A month off the bike is a small price to pay for all the fun you'll have later.

I spent NYE the same way any self-respecting newly minted 60 year old would:

Sound asleep on the couch, snot dribbling from my nose, sinuses and chest hopelessly clogged, with the nearby TV rolling through old COPS reruns. Woo Hoo!

Last edited by Biker395; 01-05-17 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-05-17, 07:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,501 Posts
Yikes! Glad you found that early enough to get treatment.

Any history of bonks on the head, from falling off the bike, walking into a low overhead structure, etc.?

Alas, I've had lifelong bouts with cluster headaches, possibly trigeminal neuralgia (more recent tentative diagnosis, thanks -- oddly enough -- to a dentist). Hurts like hell, often has sidelined me from work, family and things I enjoy, but tests show no indications of tumors, aneurysm, etc. So, on the one hand, good news. On the other hand, nothing seems to prevent them completely.

Had one last night -- a headache that felt like a corkscrew in my left eyeball, with pain radiating along the paths of the trigeminal nerve -- which was probably caused by riding a couple of hours in freezing wind without a face mask. Everything else was warm, and the last time I rode in cold weather, a couple of weeks ago at 23F, I was fine afterward -- that ride I wore a paper surgical mask which kept my breath warm and moist, so much so that I had a beard icicle from condensation! I need to remember to do that for every cold ride this winter.
Old 01-05-17, 07:57 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6837 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 450 Posts
"All things considered, I'll take the fire brigade over the fire."
- Winston Churchill

Glad you are OK.

-Tim-
Old 01-05-17, 08:16 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 845 Times in 521 Posts
Glad you're doing OK,

but now I think I have a headache.
Old 01-05-17, 08:40 PM
Wildwood
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,115 Posts
Sounds like it was maybe sorta a close call.
Glad you'll be riding later in the year.
Old 01-05-17, 09:30 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 114 Posts
"Merry Christmas" is all I can say.
Old 01-05-17, 10:11 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wish you the best. Recover fast.
Old 01-05-17, 10:43 PM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
It's crazy to realize how much of our lives is really out of our control, no matter how much we try otherwise! So glad that you got it checked out, and sounds like a good outcome. Enjoy the time off the bike - according to another thread we could be riding until we're 105 years old.
Old 01-06-17, 02:53 AM
freedomrider1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW... Thank God your wife got to the doc.
Old 01-06-17, 06:49 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: 1980 Medici Pro Strada, 1984 Tommasini Prestige, 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 177 Posts
Best part of this story is that Ernesto is the one telling it and not being posted by someone else letting us know some really bad news. Your wife gets flowers and dinner out at the restaurant of her choice, you know that you owe her this one.....

PM coming eja.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-06-17, 08:35 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Biker395 View Post
Cripes, man ... I'm glad that all turned out OK.

Wives are the reason married men live longer (pretty good Yogi Berraism, eh?).

A month off the bike is a small price to pay for all the fun you'll have later.

I spent NYE the same way any self-respecting newly minted 60 year old would:

Sound asleep on the couch, snot dribbling from my nose, sinuses and chest hopelessly clogged, with the nearby TV rolling through old COPS reruns. Woo Hoo!
A few years back my wife and I ran into a rough patch and divorce seemed inevitable.

Thankfully cycling (plus a lot of mutual work) saved our marriage. I am glad we are back together.

If you were watching COPS re-runs you missed out on Mariah Carey's stellar performance.

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 01-10-17 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-06-17, 08:39 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
Best part of this story is that Ernesto is the one telling it and not being posted by someone else letting us know some really bad news. Your wife gets flowers and dinner out at the restaurant of her choice, you know that you owe her this one.....

PM coming eja.

Bill
Bill, got your PM, thank you.

Took my lovely wife out to her favorite local steak house (Mastro's) to celebrate my homecoming while watching USC come back in a thriller to win the 2017 Rose Bowl game.

Life is good.
Old 01-06-17, 08:41 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by freedomrider1 View Post
WOW... Thank God your wife got to the doc.
Yep, she said if I keep doing typically dumb male things like ignoring headaches and chestpain I then better up my life insurance.
Old 01-06-17, 08:44 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
"All things considered, I'll take the fire brigade over the fire."
- Winston Churchill

Glad you are OK.

-Tim-
Winston was a wise guy, like W.C. Fields.
Old 01-06-17, 10:24 AM
leob1

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 52 Posts
Glad to hear your doing well.

I too spent the holidays in the hospital! Not for me, but for my 22 year old daughter. She also had a brain bleed, and then what they call an ischemic stroke. She too had many CT scans, and MRI's. But thankfully no surgery yet. They have to wait until the blood that has pooled in her brain clears so they can get a better picture of exactly what is amiss. She also had a severe headache, and finally went to the ER. She has so far, and hopefully never, has shown any signs that this has effected her brain function. For my wife and I it was a frightening ride on an emotional roller coaster.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 01-06-17, 10:53 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by leob1 View Post
Glad to hear your doing well.

I too spent the holidays in the hospital! Not for me, but for my 22 year old daughter. She also had a brain bleed, and then what they call an ischemic stroke. She too had many CT scans, and MRI's. But thankfully no surgery yet. They have to wait until the blood that has pooled in her brain clears so they can get a better picture of exactly what is amiss. She also had a severe headache, and finally went to the ER. She has so far, and hopefully never, has shown any signs that this has effected her brain function. For my wife and I it was a frightening ride on an emotional roller coaster.

Enjoy the ride!
I am very sorry to read about your daughter. Nothing is as frightening as hearing that a child is afflicted with a major illness, especially one as young as your daughter.

Our oldesr daughter, aged 31, was diagnosed with breast cancer last February. It has been a constant battle, with many ups and many downs. If I could, I would gladly trade places with her and let the cancer invade my body. I am a tough SOB and those cancer cells would be in a real fight. Alas, however, life does not work that way.

I will pray for your daughter that this be a minor bump in a long, healthy and prosperous life.

Cheers!
Old 01-06-17, 10:57 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by h2oxtc View Post
It's crazy to realize how much of our lives is really out of our control, no matter how much we try otherwise! So glad that you got it checked out, and sounds like a good outcome. Enjoy the time off the bike - according to another thread we could be riding until we're 105 years old.
I read the story of the 105 yo French cycliste while I was in the hospital. I showed it to my docs and I told them: fix me up so I can do that.

They all looked at me and replied, "Damn it Ernesto, we are doctors, not miracle workers!" (With apologies to Dr. McCoy )
Old 01-06-17, 10:58 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by woodcraft View Post
Glad you're doing OK,

but now I think I have a headache.
Funny, I used to think that I gave headaches, not got them.
Old 01-06-17, 11:03 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I spent Christmas vacation off my bike; due to a suggestion from my wife that I should spend some "family time" with my son, daughter in law and three grandkids (whom I have not seen for several years).

Wow, kids grow up quick! The oldest is 15, middle one 12 and young one (just a baby last time I saw him) is 8. Yikes, time is passing quickly.

So we flew to Albuquerque, drove a rental Hyundai to Santa Fe and spent a week (almost) there. We went hiking in a couple of parks with the kids (Tent Rocks and Bandelier if you know Santa Fe) visited my son's pediatric dental practice (Dentistry for Kids!) and had a good time talking with everyone.

Of course, as soon as I was back home I grabbed my bike and rode up GMR/GRR to Mt. Baldy Village but still . . . a little time off the time was a good thing.

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-06-17, 12:01 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 293 Posts
Waitaminnit -- you're saying your rescue dog cleaned all your bikes? I may have to rethink not having a dog!

Glad to hear you caught it early enough and are on the mend.
Old 01-06-17, 01:48 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: 1980 Medici Pro Strada, 1984 Tommasini Prestige, 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
Funny, I used to think that I gave headaches, not got them.
That's the lawyer in you channeling yourself.....

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-06-17, 07:27 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
I spent Christmas vacation off my bike; due to a suggestion from my wife that I should spend some "family time" with my son, daughter in law and three grandkids (whom I have not seen for several years).

Wow, kids grow up quick! The oldest is 15, middle one 12 and young one (just a baby last time I saw him) is 8. Yikes, time is passing quickly.

So we flew to Albuquerque, drove a rental Hyundai to Santa Fe and spent a week (almost) there. We went hiking in a couple of parks with the kids (Tent Rocks and Bandelier if you know Santa Fe) visited my son's pediatric dental practice (Dentistry for Kids!) and had a good time talking with everyone.

Of course, as soon as I was back home I grabbed my bike and rode up GMR/GRR to Mt. Baldy Village but still . . . a little time off the time was a good thing.

Rick / OCRR
One of my kids went to school in New Mexico. Santa Fe is a great place to spend Christmas. The food alone can bring back the dead.

Bandalier Park s a great place to hike. Great Indian rock ruins, from the Anasazi Tribe I believe. You can hike down one of the canyons and see waterfalls and the Rio Grande.

Absolutely gorgeous.
Old 01-06-17, 07:27 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
That's the lawyer in you channeling yourself.....

Bill
Ha ha ha...you know me too well my friend!
Old 01-06-17, 07:30 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
Waitaminnit -- you're saying your rescue dog cleaned all your bikes? I may have to rethink not having a dog!

Glad to hear you caught it early enough and are on the mend.
It is amazing what a couple of German shepherds can do...when they decide to work together.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.