Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any of this club have a stress test?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Any of this club have a stress test?

Old 01-08-17, 04:32 PM
  #1  
deacon mark
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,592

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Any of this club have a stress test?

Ok background. I am 55 and a long distance runner and cyclist for 39 years. Have run over 75,000 miles in life and cycled less but now ride 3k a year and run about 1500 miles. I have had high blood pressure since is was 14 years old, yes that young. Treated with meds these last 41 years and done ok. So I palpitations at times no racing heart but I can feel it beating. Heart rate is about 42 resting so easy to feel any disturbances. Well I had an EKG showed a little change a partial Right branch bundle blockage. This can be normal and is often seen in endurance athletes but since a change they send me to the Cardiologist. Lucky a friend and parishioner at where I am assigned. The ekg he did later did not show this and he said my heart was like many endurance athletes on paper.... but...

So he wants the whole work up. Eco-cardiogram, stress test, 48 hr holter monitor. I was nervous about this all shaking in my boots, no faith. Well I do the eco shaking on the table. They were not going to let me do the stress test my blood pressure was too high to start. Well the Dr said ok let him go 250 over 110 if more stop test. I go through the Bruce Protocol treadmill deal. Got to about 15 minutes stage 4 they ask how I am. Nothing too bad working but certainly could keep it up longer and go harder but blood pressure was 252 over 85 so they stopped it. They said is was diagnostic because my heart rate reached 148 so it was ok. I kinda of want to max it out and feel I could have had I not start with all the nervousness and mental stress. Humility is what the deacon needs right? The nurse practitioner said she was going make a note I was not really straining could probably done 8 more minutes. They would then go to 18% and 5.5 mph that I am unsure about.

My problem or ego was that I could have gone longer and at least stage 5 but the treadmill was on 16 % incline at 4.2 mph. To slow to run but to fast to walk very smooth. I don't know what it all means except now they have me worried because I hammer some hills cycling that are way harder than this stress test. In fact cycling up a long grade for a period is more taxing on my system than an all out 400 meter run after running a hard mile. I routinely run much harder and faster.

Maybe all this cycling and running is not so great. I frankly do it not for exercise I just like to run and cycle. I would like know of any of us older here who have done a stress test.

Last edited by deacon mark; 01-08-17 at 04:35 PM.
deacon mark is offline  
Old 01-08-17, 04:47 PM
  #2  
CrankyOne
Senior Member
 
CrankyOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,367
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Do you wear a heart monitor when you ride? About once a year my doc reviews a couple of my rides (one moderate, one strenuous) to see how I'm doing. He looks at the grade, how many watts I'm putting out, heart rate, etc. So far so good.

My doc is among an increasing number who think that too strenuous of exercise isn't necessarily good and can be bad, especially for people over 40. He's becoming a strong proponent of 30-60 minutes per day of moderate exercise which he describes as a somewhat brisk walk/hike or riding about 10-15 mph.
CrankyOne is offline  
Old 01-08-17, 05:02 PM
  #3  
2 Piece
Senior Member
 
2 Piece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 339

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, over the last 10 years about 6 nuclear stress test and just one ultrasound stress. No reason to stress over a stress test.
2 Piece is offline  
Old 01-08-17, 05:09 PM
  #4  
deacon mark
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,592

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne View Post
Do you wear a heart monitor when you ride? About once a year my doc reviews a couple of my rides (one moderate, one strenuous) to see how I'm doing. He looks at the grade, how many watts I'm putting out, heart rate, etc. So far so good.

My doc is among an increasing number who think that too strenuous of exercise isn't necessarily good and can be bad, especially for people over 40. He's becoming a strong proponent of 30-60 minutes per day of moderate exercise which he describes as a somewhat brisk walk/hike or riding about 10-15 mph.
I wear one just for fun. Running my hr is 130-140 for typical daily 5-6 mile run. On the bike I find hr lower have really be trying to push pace to get over 130. It takes a sustained 20 mph pace for a long time to get hr near running. However a very steep incline can make it jump. Going up a ski resort 9% grade for a my hr can get to 153 by end.
deacon mark is offline  
Old 01-08-17, 06:05 PM
  #5  
DaveQ24 
Senior Member
 
DaveQ24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 831

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had them a couple of times - a decade ago as a prerequisite to a major surgery just to make sure my heart could take it, and about 11 months ago just to basically humor the cardiologist who wanted an age 50 baseline. Treadmill stress test and Doppler echo with (first) and without (2nd) contrast. Didn't find either round of tests particularly stressful physically or emotionally. I have a collection of various medical issues - asthma, knee on the way out eventually from RA, anemia, but a healthy heart.

Deacon - try not to overthink it and worry / easier said than done, believe me, I do that myself. At 55 you are so far ahead of the game compared to the average American that you could afford to ease off the intensity a little if you had to ... but be sure you get all of the facts from your doctor so you can make an informed decision on a rational basis.

It does appear that the scientifically-proven evidence is mounting that significant endurance training does cause cardiac changes that can be detrimental. The new thinking among coaches and trainers is "train smarter, not harder." Of course, there is controversy around it. I read a book called 'Beyond Training' by a trainer named Ben Greenfield back in November - made a lot of sense to me - but as they say, ymmv.
DaveQ24 is offline  
Old 01-08-17, 06:41 PM
  #6  
Rollfast
What happened?
 
Rollfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Around here somewhere
Posts: 8,029

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 246 Posts
I got shingles in my right leg on Hew Year's Eve, I gather I have stress.
__________________
I don't know nothing, and I memorized it in school and got this here paper I'm proud of to show it.
Rollfast is offline  
Old 01-08-17, 09:11 PM
  #7  
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer
 
Biker395's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,022

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 201 Posts
I've had a stress test. My father had heart issues, and in spite of the fact that they were almost certainly exacerbated by his lifestyle (2 pack a day smoker on one lung), I thought it best to explore it further.

It was rather easy for me. Like you say ... There are times I've pushed waaay harder on a bike. The doc had to remind me to stop talking and keep my mouth shut again and again. Finally, he switched it off and remarked:

"There's nothing wrong with you. You're fine."

I'm not sure what to say about your BP numbers. They sound really high, but I'm not a doc and I don't play one on TV either. I have no idea what is normal in that context.

One thing I finally did do is have a CT angiogram. That won't help diagnose a lot of heart issues, of course, but it does a good job at looking if you have congested arteries. My understanding is that a stress test only shows issues if the blockages are nearly complete (90% or so). Have you had one of those?

You're very right to be concerned about all this stuff. Keep at it until you get it resolved!
Biker395 is offline  
Old 01-08-17, 10:14 PM
  #8  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,655

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3696 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 850 Posts
Have they checked your neck? My BP is usually normal but occasionally spikes due to a damaged C2 (car wreck several years ago). It's uncommon and unpredictable. Last time was almost two years ago, hit 200/100, accompanied by a horrific headache. I have to be very careful of my neck alignment. I mean while sleeping, exercising, etc., not chiropractic stuff -- the C2 damage makes any neck adjustments too risky.

Since resuming bicycling in August 2015 my BP has been consistently good, but I have to avoid over-exertion and craning my neck. My bikes are set up with the handlebars at or slightly above saddle height. No drop bars or anything that requires looking up to see the road. I ride with reasonably wide, soft tires and one bike also has a spring suspension fork for days when my neck is aching.

And no jogging or running. Too much stress on an already damaged neck.
canklecat is offline  
Old 01-08-17, 11:27 PM
  #9  
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,752
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
The idea you wanted to max out on the stress test is irrelevant to the doctor. I think he saw what he wanted. Have you chatted with him about it, or are waiting for another appointment to discuss this?

My stress test was to see if I had heart muscle damage from a "heart attack" about 20 years ago. I was surprised to see how my blood pressure increased so substantially over the test (sorry, don't remember the numbers, but the upper was well over 200).

The heart specialist stopped the test before max and simply stated I had "blitzed" it; his conclusion was that my "heart attack" was indeed a case of broken heart syndrome, and that I could go on to a cholesterol medication, which I declined, but apart from that, everything was fine.

Fortunately, this conversation happened immediately on conclusion of the test. So there was no stress involved in waiting for results.
Rowan is offline  
Old 01-09-17, 01:55 AM
  #10  
Mobile 155
Senior Member
 
Mobile 155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex
Posts: 5,059

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 32 Posts
I have had some of the same tests as the OP. EKG showed a Right Branch Bundle blockage and I was sent to an Cardiologist. I was riding 150 to 200 miles a week but wasn't feeling my best. I had several stress tests and even a nuclear stress test. Still was riding and scheduled a Angioplasty. I had some blockage but nothing serious till they found a abrasion one of the branches and I was sent the next day to another hospital and had quadruple bypass. Everything else was answered by the angioplasty and just so you know the recovery takes a lot longer than they tell you.

Your results may be different.
Mobile 155 is offline  
Old 01-09-17, 06:37 AM
  #11  
2 Piece
Senior Member
 
2 Piece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 339

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was just getting ready to post that stress test are not all that reliable at showing heart conditions or blockage and Mobile 155 posted and beat me to it. Get a angioplasty to make sure.....but they are pretty expensive. I actually found the recovery after angioplasty to be almost non existent, and not to be confused with bypass surgery which will take a long time for recovery.
2 Piece is offline  
Old 01-09-17, 08:01 AM
  #12  
deacon mark
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,592

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
I go back in two weeks for follow up. I assume if the eco-cardiogram I have before the test would have been abnormal they would have not had me do the stress test. I have one kidney test tomorrow too. One thing I have always had great cholesterol numbers. Mine were 168. The others all excellent do not remember the others but the they are ok. I will take what I can get.
deacon mark is offline  
Old 01-09-17, 08:26 AM
  #13  
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator
 
Darth Lefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Folsom CA
Posts: 11,060

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount, Salsa Timberjack, Diamondback Expert TG, Burley Samba

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2020 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 413 Posts
I had a stress test when my heart condition was first diagnosed. It was the first thing the cardiologist ordered on the first day I saw him. My heart condition is probably unrelated to yours, but I know for sure there was no reason for me to hit full exertion in order that he see my condition. In fact on the day of the test my condition didn't bother me. I was frustrated by that because I wanted to prove it was a real problem, but he saw it just fine in the picture. I also at one point had a bike stress echo, I can't remember why, that was supposed to show the heart during exertion rather than just after. Probably I had told the doctor I was feeling worse than he believed. But it was a stupid fiasco. The pedals were in the air at the bottom of a bed so the patient would shift up and down as he pedaled and the echo tech couldn't see squat. I suspect there is a better version of this rig and their hospital just didn't own one.
__________________
Genesis 49:16-17
Darth Lefty is offline  
Old 01-09-17, 09:36 AM
  #14  
BlazingPedals
Senior Member
 
BlazingPedals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Middle of da Mitten
Posts: 11,553

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 171 Posts
After I told my (ex) doc that I refused to take statins anymore, he insisted on a stress test. Probably to 'prove' that I was going to die. I don't know if I got the Full Monte, but he was listening to all the valves and arteries as he ran me up to 150 bpm. Nothing found. I asked if, since we were close, we could go the rest of the way to see what a good max was for me. He just gave me a sour look and said something about wearing out the equipment. Watta grouch!

Since there are lots of docs in my bike club, I once asked one of them if I should be getting one regularly. He just chuckled and told me every bike ride I did was a stress test.
BlazingPedals is offline  
Old 01-09-17, 10:04 AM
  #15  
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport
 
FlashBazbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 4,288

Bikes: OPEN new U.P. Di2

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 89 Posts
I would relax about the stress test. I have had one nuclear stress test and, I have to say, it was pretty anticlimactic. I was actually disappointed. Not much physical stress at all. I could have gone much farther, harder, faster. (There's a little bit of the showoff in most athletes.) But they didn't need it to see what they needed to see. That's the point of the exercise, after all.
FlashBazbo is offline  
Old 01-09-17, 10:10 AM
  #16  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 30,975

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Took one when I was 73 y/o passed it. No big deal.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"
10 Wheels is offline  
Old 01-09-17, 10:44 AM
  #17  
a77impala
a77impala
 
a77impala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Western South Dakota
Posts: 1,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I had a nuclear stress test 12 years ago when I was having chest pain. Passed wth flying colors, pain turned out to be side effect of a prescription drug I was taking. No pains after stopped taking drug.
Last February I had one in ER after suffering suspected heart attack. Passed again, no heart attack, doctors said maybe indigestion! LOL
I'm 72 with no heart history in family. Ride 6,000 plus miles a year.

Last edited by a77impala; 01-09-17 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Spelling
a77impala is offline  
Old 01-09-17, 03:08 PM
  #18  
DaveQ24 
Senior Member
 
DaveQ24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 831

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark View Post
I assume if the eco-cardiogram I have before the test would have been abnormal they would have not had me do the stress test.
I don't think you can make that assumption. Based on my knowledge - strictly as a patient - they generally order those two tests together. Both times I had this battery of tests done, they were ordered at the same time.

The purpose of the echo is to show the structure of the heart, particularly the valves and chambers (at least that is what the technician that did my last one was concentrating on) and to get bloodflow numbers (the "doppler" part - it was pretty cool actually on the monitor). The treadmill test is measuring the electrical activity in the heart from resting to stressed under a workload. At least that is my purely amateur, uninformed take on it.

Again, you need to not stress yourself out more by worrying - easier said than done, but try not to worry.
DaveQ24 is offline  
Old 01-09-17, 03:55 PM
  #19  
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com
 
Rick@OCRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 6,186

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had to have a stress test on a treadmill before they (Kaiser Permanente) would let me out of the hospital after a suspected (but not actual) heart attack.

I had spent the whole night in a room off the ER and I was anxious to get out of there. I easily hammered the test; kept asking for more angle and more speed but the cardiologist stopped me when my heart rate hit 165.

He told me I should keep riding but to limit my heart rate to 165 maximum. Which I have done (mostly) ever since. The good news was that he signed my paperwork so I could go home which was my goal at that point! 20+ hours at Kaiser is not fun!

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline  
Old 01-09-17, 07:51 PM
  #20  
RonH
Life is good
 
RonH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Not far from the Withlacoochee Trail. 🚴🏻
Posts: 18,211

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark View Post
I would like know of any of us older here who have done a stress test.
I inherited my dad's bad heart. He had his first heart attack at 53. Had 3 more before he was 60. He never quit smoking so died of cancer when he was 71.
I've had a couple of stress tests because of heredity. The cardiologist found a 90% blockage in the LAD artery in 2014 after I complained of difficulty breathing when climbing easy hills. They put a stent in my LAD artery. Haven't had any problems since. I have my yearly stress test later this month. Here's hoping all is well.
BTW: I'm 72.
__________________
The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. - Psalm 103:8

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
RonH is offline  
Old 01-09-17, 09:42 PM
  #21  
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it
 
CV-6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cardinal Country
Posts: 5,073

Bikes: Lejeune, Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré, Springfield, Motobecane, John Howard, Greg Lemond

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 190 Times in 109 Posts
Stress test abut five years ago for a right bundle branch block. I had the same issue you did with the treadmill being at a walk or run threshold. Passed test with flying colors and last ECG did not show previous issue. Don't worry about it.
__________________
Please do not "like" my posts. This isn't Facebook.

Lynn Travers

Photos

CV-6 is offline  
Old 01-10-17, 01:19 AM
  #22  
MinnMan
Senior Member
 
MinnMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 3,405

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked 705 Times in 420 Posts
I've had several stress tests, one of which made me very angry for reasons that have some *echoes* to the OP's story.

I was having issues with my HR - when I redlined, I could not recover. I previously had a RHR (decreases in HR 60 seconds after being up in Z5) of about 35 or 40,and all of a sudden one day it was 12 and I just couldn't keep up with my friends if I let my HR get too high. Doc says, have a stress test. This test was the type where you lie down and pedal a stationary bicycle. I go in and the tech announces that we'll go to a HR of 148 because that's what's needed for a person of my age. I replied that my MHR was/is 180 and that I didn't see the worrisome behavior until my HR gets up to 170 - (after all, I wear a HRM and I know these things very well). She argues with me - "148 is all that is medically necessary according to the guidelines". I say, then the test will be pointless, etc. She says, OK, suit yourself - we'll go until you are ready to quit. I start the test, we get to a HR of 148, and she announces that the test is over. I responded by sprinting and quickly got up to the high 150s, and then they stop taking data! She says, "you shouldn't complain, lots of people your age can't get their HR above 150 on these tests, it means you are very healthy. (as if MHR had anything to do with health - what with Chris Froome and his MHR of something like 145?) " THEN, she had the nerve to record that the test ended because of patient exhaustion!

The doc was annoyed too, and sent me for a second test - this time a nuclear test on a treadmill. But I don't think that the tech suffered any consequences.
MinnMan is offline  
Old 01-10-17, 12:11 PM
  #23  
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas
 
canklecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,655

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3696 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 850 Posts
Originally Posted by a77impala View Post
I had a nuclear stress test 12 years ago when I was having chest pain. Passed wth flying colors, pain turned out to be side effect of a prescription drug I was taking. No pains after stopped taking drug.
Last February I had one in ER after suffering suspected heart attack. Passed again, no heart attack, doctors said maybe indigestion! LOL
I'm 72 with no heart history in family. Ride 6,000 plus miles a year.
Ditto, when I was 40. Sudden onset of chest pains and shortness of breath from minor exertion, like walking up a single flight of stairs.

Spooked me because both sides of my family did have some history of cardiopulmonary dysfunction, ranging from a cousin who died of a heart attack at age 40 with no prior warning signs, to strokes and congestive heart failure.

Turned out to be side effects from a prescription med I was taking to help prevent migraines. So I discontinued that med. The next med intended to relieve migraines once they'd started, Imitrex, had the same side effects -- chest pains, shortness of breath, racing heart, pounding sensation in my ears. Had to stop taking that one as well.

My HMO plan doctors were pretty much useless during that period. I didn't get a straight answer until my insurance changed and I saw different doctors.

It's also a bit disconcerting how some medical professionals are unaware of, or unconcerned by, side effects and drug interactions. It shouldn't be necessary to consult multiple doctors and health professionals to get an informed answer or at least a suggestion to narrow down the causes.
canklecat is offline  
Old 01-10-17, 12:12 PM
  #24  
icyclist 
Spin Meister
 
icyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California, USA
Posts: 2,643

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 5 Posts
Deacon, what is it you want to learn? Yes, lots of people have had stress tests. Are you asking people here what you stress test means about your health? Did you or did you not get your test results back from your cardiologist, and if so, what were those results?

By the way, if you don't know this already, here's a truth: while you can "flunk" your stress test, it's possible the result is a false positive. That's one reason everyone doesn't get a stress test. There'd be too many false positives. There has to be a good reason to have the test.

Because I flunked mine, I had an angioplasty, which ended as soon as my cardiologist could see the stress test got it wrong.

Just because you have skipped heartbeats doesn't mean you're going to drop dead on a bike ride. Results of a stress test aren't set in stone, either.

So tell us what the results of your stress test were and maybe some people here can offer some advice based on personal experiences.
__________________
This post is a natural product. Slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.
icyclist is offline  
Old 01-10-17, 01:41 PM
  #25  
a77impala
a77impala
 
a77impala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Western South Dakota
Posts: 1,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Ditto,

It's also a bit disconcerting how some medical professionals are unaware of, or unconcerned by, side effects and drug interactions. It shouldn't be necessary to consult multiple doctors and health professionals to get an informed answer or at least a suggestion to narrow down the causes.
I gave my doctor the names of the drugs I was taking, had he researched them I could have avoided the stress test. I found the contraindications on the internet!
That doctor retired and I told my new doctor I had this happen and he said he could prescribe something else, I declined and have lived without since!
a77impala is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.