Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any Bike Builds Going On Lately?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-21-17, 09:36 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

I'm building a MTB off an 80's Giant frameset this winter. As soon as the seatpost arrives I'll post a pic. Other than that, my Colnago and Miyata 712 are getting a good spiffing up for summer.

What's up with you guys?
Old 01-21-17, 02:06 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts
Actually, I have a deconstruction project going.

The market for 2 wheeled recumbent bikes has dropped off the table so I'm deconstructing my Rans Enduro Sport and either selling off or repurposing it's parts. Anybody need anything?
Old 01-21-17, 03:00 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 29 Posts
Just finished my 90's Bianchi 650B conversion.

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...onversion.html
Old 01-22-17, 07:46 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not a complete build, but I took my my 95 Univega M.B. changed tires to a comuter tires , put drop bars on it Shimano bar end friction shifters , origin 8 brake levers and new cables. Since I don't ride dirt , it is a lot more useful now . 2 in tires still do great on grass and gravel, but run much better on paved paths
Old 01-22-17, 07:57 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I cracked my trikes frame. To their credit, Performer sent me a replacement frame at no cost. I am in the process of moving all of the parts off the old frame and onto the new one. While I am doing this I am replacing the drivetrain with a Bafang BB02 in the front (legal sized electric motor, it only applies power when being pedaled) and a NuVinci in the back.
Old 01-22-17, 08:40 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy View Post
Not a complete build, but I took my my 95 Univega M.B. changed tires to a comuter tires , put drop bars on it Shimano bar end friction shifters , origin 8 brake levers and new cables. Since I don't ride dirt , it is a lot more useful now . 2 in tires still do great on grass and gravel, but run much better on paved paths
You dont see too many Univega MTB's. I was given an '84 Alpina Uno last May in fantastic condition. Cool bikes.
Old 01-22-17, 08:47 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll be starting one soon. I just ordered a Gunnar Sport frame and I'm assembling parts now. Most of the parts will come from other bikes, and I plan to sell 2-3 of my other bikes in the process. That will keep me busy until the new fram arrives in about 6 weeks.
Old 01-22-17, 12:08 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL View Post
You dont see too many Univega MTB's. I was given an '84 Alpina Uno last May in fantastic condition. Cool bikes.
Mine is a 95 I think Bikepedia list 95 as the only year for the Alpina 501. It was kind of an impulse buy a while back I was at a shop that deals in used bikes only . It was in great condition and I thought I "needed" a mountain bike. what i needed was something closer to a gravel bike . I have 20 some miles on it (weather and still recovering from an illness has slowed me down ) but I think it is going to fill a hole in my stable
I added
Serfas Drifter tires 26 x 2
zoom drop bars of my Surly steamroller
the Origin 8 brake lever for the surly
a set if 90's shimano friction bar end shifters my local shop had
new seat and cables
Before and after pictures below

Old 01-22-17, 12:41 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Bikes: '80 Medici Pro Strada, '86 Tommasini Prestige, '12 CAAD 10 Ultegra

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
@plumberroy, that is a beautiful Univega, love the hard tail and rigid fork, old school build. Its definitely purple.....

Finished up the small details on an emerald green '78 Medici Pro Strada, needed a Selle San Marco Concor Supercorsa saddle and the correct yellow Velox bar tape. Pics will follow shortly.

Beginning a early-mid '80s Tommasini Prestige build, frame should arrive this week coming. Its pink, SL tubing, with the correct chrome fork. Already receiving components found on eBay and started cleaning them after completely disassembling each one. Not finished with searching out the various parts and components needed, but its getting close.

Bill
"I Can Do All Things Through Christ, Whom Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13
Old 01-22-17, 12:53 PM
OldsCOOL

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by plumberroy View Post
Mine is a 95 I think Bikepedia list 95 as the only year for the Alpina 501. It was kind of an impulse buy a while back I was at a shop that deals in used bikes only . It was in great condition and I thought I "needed" a mountain bike. what i needed was something closer to a gravel bike . I have 20 some miles on it (weather and still recovering from an illness has slowed me down ) but I think it is going to fill a hole in my stable
I added
Serfas Drifter tires 26 x 2
zoom drop bars of my Surly steamroller
the Origin 8 brake lever for the surly
a set if 90's shimano friction bar end shifters my local shop had
new seat and cables
Before and after pictures below

Dig the purple.

Here is my '84 Alpina Uno....
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-22-17, 01:03 PM
plumberroy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks for the complements like the green It would be great to do something like I did with.I am old school enough to like level top tubes. when the weather warms up I can see this bike being my fishing bike
Old 01-22-17, 01:53 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 26 Posts
Top of my growing list is my '91 GT Karakoram.
Old 01-22-17, 03:40 PM
OldsCOOL

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Here is a preview of the uglybike.

Early 80s frame, Altus drivetrain with rapid-fire shifters and wheelset off the 2002 Trek 820. It was a bugger finding a seatpost but it will be installed this week along with the seat.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-22-17, 04:30 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
I'm in the process of restoring a 1986ish De Rosa Super Prestige. I'm expecting the frameset to come back from the painter in early February.

Here are some pictures from when I received the bike last year. I purchased it from the original owner. It's a solid, damage-free, low miles bike except the paint has issues. The previous owner added some stickers to the seat-tube and some rattle-can paint to the top-tube. The bike is being professional restored with a partial repaint at Chester Cycles in Chicago. Duane did a partial repaint of my Eddy Merckx and his repair and paint matching skill are superlative. He has a contract with Colnago and takes care of all of thier dealers and does warranty work on new Colnagos.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-22-17, 04:38 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6836 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 179 Posts
Nope, just maintaining what I have, one time order, of large bottles of clean and re-lube oils for the R'offs.

Re cabling from the grip shifter, to the hub.

Doing a new steering mast on the Bi-Fri , talking, now, with a custom builder.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-23-17 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-22-17, 08:09 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
I'm in the process of restoring a 1986ish De Rosa Super Prestige. I'm expecting the frameset to come back from the painter in early February.

Here are some pictures from when I received the bike last year. I purchased it from the original owner. It's a solid, damage-free, low miles bike except the paint has issues. The previous owner added some stickers to the seat-tube and some rattle-can paint to the top-tube. The bike is being professional restored with a partial repaint at Chester Cycles in Chicago. Duane did a partial repaint of my Eddy Merckx and his repair and paint matching skill are superlative. He has a contract with Colnago and takes care of all of thier dealers and does warranty work on new Colnagos.

Wow!! Love it! I am promising myself that I'll finally get the 1960 Capo Sieger put together and back on the road.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-22-17, 08:35 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM, 2008 BikeFriday tikit T-11, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i5, 2019 Surly ½DT14

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 36 Posts
Starting three wheel builds on Sturmey RS-RF3, RX-RF5 and HDS12 hubs with Sun CR18 rims in E.A.3. Probably a sterile Dawes MTA frameset with some offensive decals.
Old 01-22-17, 08:42 PM
ypsetihw

Bikes: s-1

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know it maybe blasphemy, but I have an early 80s maruishi roadace 404 that used to have Suntour Sprite.

It's currently running on an RS10 wheelset with 12-32 8 speed cassette and modern Tourney derailleurs (the rear is labelled 6/7 speed, but it's the same pull ratio for 8 speed as well). FSA Omega Compact 50/34 172.5 Crankset w/ BB4000 Enlish threaded. Microshift 2x8 STI on 420mm ergo drops with a modern mast/saddle/ergo bars/fizik tape. Has full SKS fenders and an Avenir rack with period-correct panniers.

Basically, the only thing that it's new is the frame and the front end (frame, headset, fork, stem). Everything else is new/re-purposed and modern, and she rides proper. You can build a sick ride with budget parts these days.

Last edited by ypsetihw; 01-22-17 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-22-17, 09:22 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '68 Schwinn Orange Krate, and More!!

Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
I'm just putting the final touches on a '85 Miyata FG I bought off CL for a FG conversion. It was very clean, reasonably priced, and best of all, my size!

Before:

After:

It's been a lot of fun!
Old 01-23-17, 12:01 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm rebuilding my musclebike from when I was 14.

It's a ridiculous project that will cost many, many times the original purchase price. Rather than a meticulous return to stock, I'm making a number of changes to make it work for the, ahem, larger individual. It's getting lots of new parts to replace the rusted chrome -- as much to look nice as to accommodate the additional 12+ inches in height I've grown since 1973. The one-piece crank will be replaced by a 3-piece BMX crank. The wheels are entirely new and the Shimano 3-speed hub (they were crap back then) is now a bullet-proof Sturmey Archer.
Old 01-23-17, 01:48 PM
LouB 
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Starting a 1960 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix. Bought the bike in Pasadena and had it shipped home, here in San Antonio. Brought some parts home with me--cranks, light bracket and Brooks B15 saddle to get started. Gonna be a great bike--all original. Very excited.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Raleigh LGP badge, head.jpg (65.0 KB, 261 views)
Raleigh LGP chain ring FD.jpg (83.6 KB, 261 views)
Raleigh down tube shifters.jpg (44.6 KB, 261 views)
Old 01-23-17, 02:44 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '68 Schwinn Orange Krate, and More!!

Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by reverborama View Post
I'm rebuilding my musclebike from when I was 14.

It's a ridiculous project that will cost many, many times the original purchase price. Rather than a meticulous return to stock, I'm making a number of changes to make it work for the, ahem, larger individual. It's getting lots of new parts to replace the rusted chrome -- as much to look nice as to accommodate the additional 12+ inches in height I've grown since 1973. The one-piece crank will be replaced by a 3-piece BMX crank. The wheels are entirely new and the Shimano 3-speed hub (they were crap back then) is now a bullet-proof Sturmey Archer.

Sounds sweet, as long as you keep the shifter!
Old 01-23-17, 04:41 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM, 2008 BikeFriday tikit T-11, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i5, 2019 Surly ½DT14

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
Sounds sweet, as long as you keep the shifter!
Shimano 3 vs. Sturmey 3: different indexed pulls. Fortunately, Sturmey offers stick shifters.
Old 01-23-17, 04:44 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis, Dawes, Merlin & Harry Hall

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two builds, one just finishing and one about to start.

Almost finished is my 1976 Viscount Aerospace Victor. Interesting bike, with the first (I believe) indexed shifting gears from Shimano - the Positron, and a sealed bearing BB held on by circlips. The only thing left is to get the stuck stem out. I would leave it, as I think it hasn't moved in 40 years, but I just can't live with a stuck stem.

About to start is my 1982 Claud Butler Majestique mixte. Frame is sound but paintwork tatty and front mech very rusty.
Attached Images
attachment-4.jpg (93.4 KB, 253 views)
20161107_151840_resized.jpg (98.4 KB, 253 views)
Old 01-23-17, 05:14 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've stripped down my wife's early 90's touring/hybrid and will build it up as a commuter for my daughter to ride to middle school. It's an English Ridgeback chromoly frame, probably built by Giant (it appears to be identical to the Giant Innova frames of the same period.) My wife used to teach high school in England and she used this bike to lead tours with the school biking club, down the Rhine valley one year and across Brittany another.
Anyhow, I'm planning to strip the paint, repaint it metallic white and build it up with an Alivio groupset, Soma Noah's Arc bar and as many silver/brushed aluminum accessories as I can find. Here's the "before" pic:
Attached Images
IMG_0477.jpg (98.1 KB, 250 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.