Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What in addition to cycling are you doing for your overall health and well being.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What in addition to cycling are you doing for your overall health and well being.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 02:41 PM

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
a]Speedskating:
This time of year, mostly at ice rinks and one roller rink.
In a couple of months (or maybe sooner) I'll move to the paths in the parks.

b] Downhill snow skiing.

c] Sailboat racing.

My knees and ankles won't allow running anymore.
Old 02-26-17, 07:53 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Zara Sp00k
I also do a lot of paddling in the summer, I have three canoes and a kayak, and cross country ski or snow shoe in winter. I also run two miles about every other day.
As for eating, what is there left to eat that is considered healthy?
If what I read is to be believed, seafood, tomatoes, bell peppers, peanuts, and beans are now off the list too.
Apparently, we are supposed to drink olive oil for all our nutrition.
And stand next to a woodchipper for your fiber.
Old 02-27-17, 10:09 PM

Bikes: '83 Trek 600, '01 Tour Easy recumbent, '07 Rans Screamer tandem, '20 Trek Verve 2, '21 Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I ride around 100 miles per week, walk 10 miles per week, and do light strength training (dumb bells) 2-3 times per week. At 61, I am 99% vegetarian and my only prescribed medication is for that pesky prostate.
Old 02-27-17, 11:10 PM
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
At almost 80 yo, 30 full-body unassisted dips in a row; 35-40 pushups; 90 second planks; pullups and chinups; TRX; free weights; walking 2-3 miles most days; 40 minutes of swimming several times per week; a lot of daily stretching. Oh, and I get out on the bike - today at 52F and highly windy for 12 miles - but I will likely slow down a bit as i get a bit older.
Old 03-02-17, 08:17 PM
post tenebras lux

Bikes: Trek 720, Centurion Accordo, Gary Fisher Mamba

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my job I walk an awful lot. Also lift modest weights 3 times a week. Always physical work on Saturday, at least 12 miles a day on the bike and have a number of modest activities; archery, canoeing, fishing, hunting, baseball. And I do 50 situps a day.
Old 03-03-17, 12:07 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
This sort of thing ...

February Totals
Walking Distance (km): 121.6
Walking Time (min): 1520.0
Cycling Distance (km): 478.9
Cycling Time (min): 1608.5
Stairs Climbed Number: 403.0
Stairs Climbed Time (min): 322.4

And February's accomplishments were a climb up Mt Wellington (cycling - my second time up there! Rowan's 5th or 6th time) and cycling my 100th century (100 mile ride).

Plus I've recently lost a bunch of weight.

And I attend university ever-so-slowly working my toward my Master's degree.

Plus working full-time of course.

Oh, and travelling whenever we can.
Old 03-08-17, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I row regularly, usually on my ------- but also on the water when I can.
Fixed seat rowing is probably my favorite activity on season. Of course, I'll often bring a fishing rod or two along, just in case. I've got a "Whisp", ultralight marine plywood rowing skiff - and a kevlar Adirondack guide boat.

I've also got a one-off sliding seat rower that was hand made in fiberglass by a boat designer in Rhode Island - roughly similar to an Appledore - but I confess it's sitting in my barn and I've only had it out once, to try it out before buying it.

Besides that, I also do quite a bit of kayaking and I have a 12 foot Whitehall rowing/sailing dinghy that gets quite a bit of use as well.
Old 03-08-17, 12:12 PM
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee
Fixed seat rowing is probably my favorite activity on season. Of course, I'll often bring a fishing rod or two along, just in case. I've got a "Whisp", ultralight marine plywood rowing skiff - and a kevlar Adirondack guide boat.

I've also got a one-off sliding seat rower that was hand made in fiberglass by a boat designer in Rhode Island - roughly similar to an Appledore - but I confess it's sitting in my barn and I've only had it out once, to try it out before buying it.

Besides that, I also do quite a bit of kayaking and I have a 12 foot Whitehall rowing/sailing dinghy that gets quite a bit of use as well.
Excellent! I am familiar with the Whisp, and also have some inclination to build a guide boat one of these days. My on the water rowing is limited to moving my Arctic Tern (shown in my avatar) when the wind dies. It moves well but takes a bit of effort. Also, the oars are about 6" too short. Made them that way on purpose so they would fit between the fore and aft bulkheads.
Old 03-08-17, 12:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Excellent! I am familiar with the Whisp, and also have some inclination to build a guide boat one of these days. My on the water rowing is limited to moving my Arctic Tern (shown in my avatar) when the wind dies. It moves well but takes a bit of effort. Also, the oars are about 6" too short. Made them that way on purpose so they would fit between the fore and aft bulkheads.
Cool boat! I'd love a balanced lug yawl like that! Does it have two rowing stations? I keep the oars on my sailing whitehall lashed into the oarlocks.
Old 03-09-17, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
Cycling is my primary form of transportation and has bee since the mid-80's; I've been cycling for so long that I don't believe it would be possible for me to stop.

However, there is no one exercise that is adequate for whole body health as we age, so I hike (backpack) in the mountains; I run and I lift weights, including lower body weightlifting, i.e. squats, deadlifts.... Running, cycling and hiking doesn't mean one can skip weight training the lower body.
Old 03-09-17, 05:22 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
Mostly this ...

Old 03-09-17, 10:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zara Sp00k
I also do a lot of paddling in the summer, I have three canoes and a kayak, and cross country ski or snow shoe in winter. I also run two miles about every other day.
As for eating, what is there left to eat that is considered healthy?
If what I read is to be believed, seafood, tomatoes, bell peppers, peanuts, and beans are now off the list too.
Apparently, we are supposed to drink olive oil for all our nutrition.

Judging by your name, you do a bit of bass fishing as well.
Old 03-10-17, 11:13 AM

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
At 64 I ride between 150 - 200 miles a week. Currently I am following a training program on Trainer Road that includes a lot of intensity. Various orthopedic issues put an end to running but for many years I was a 50 mile a week runner competing in countless races including 9 marathons.
These days I focus a lot more on flexibility and do some yoga. I used to lift weights 4 times a week but now focus mostly on bodyweight exercises that incorporate strength and flexibility.
I eat a primarily vegetarian diet eating meat or fish maybe twice a week. I also juice and substitute a meal a day with a liquid meal made in the Nutri-Ninja. I was a fat kid so I got used to dealing with food intake at an early age. I'm 5'10" and weigh in at 158 with 5% body fat
Old 03-10-17, 05:36 PM

Location: Michigan, on the lake, 60 miles WNW of Chicago as the crow flies, or 90 miles if the crow walks.

Bikes: Dolan DF4, BH Ultralight, 1974 Schwinn Paramount Track, Trek Alpha 1000, Trek 730, Miyata 930 affixed to a Brian Wind Trainer

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
16-ounce curls down at the brew pub.
Old 03-11-17, 06:31 PM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I started cycling at 45 as my overall health and well-being was on a decline. I've since transformed myself into a cyclist, mostly as I was looking to become a better cyclist. I had to learn to eat better, train more regularly, and then train smarter. I've added power meters to my bikes for training stress management. I'm now taking rest and recovery much more seriously and feel worlds better for it. I started racing a few years back for adventure and to justify why I was training so hard.
All of this combined = I feel great and is the largest contributor to my health and well being.
Outside of that - I have a perfectly normal life and basically doing all the regular things a regular guy would do. I cheat a lot on my diet and am probably 15 pound heavier than what is ideal, but whatever. I don't get paid to ride and life is meant to be lived.
Old 03-11-17, 06:50 PM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Steak, bacon and extra bacon...in that order.

Trail running, running, cycling, kettlebells in that order.

Gibson fingerpicking, Fender, Marshall in that order.

Audible, Kindle, reading in that order.

Zinfandel, Malbec, Cab in that order.

Scotch, Dark Rum, Jamaican Rum in that order.

Charlize Theron, Uma Thurman, Halle Berry in that order.

Defined Benefit Pension, Medicare, Social Security and a perfect death, in that order.
Old 03-11-17, 09:06 PM

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Cycling is fun and it is certainly good exercise but it is also a sport and a hobby as much as a fitness regimen that some folks have been long involved in before we needed to consider staying fit because we were young and just fit as it were.

Cycling by itself is not enough and is not balanced. Swim, bike, run, weights. I swim three to five miles per week, weights twice per week, run/elliptical the equivalent of 18 miles per week, and bicycle as a goal 75 miles per week, weather allowing.

J
Old 03-12-17, 08:30 AM

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
At almost 80 yo, 30 full-body unassisted dips in a row; 35-40 pushups; 90 second planks; pullups and chinups; TRX; free weights; walking 2-3 miles most days; 40 minutes of swimming several times per week; a lot of daily stretching. Oh, and I get out on the bike - today at 52F and highly windy for 12 miles - but I will likely slow down a bit as i get a bit older.
I'M impressed. Few will understand what it takes to keep that level of exercise up. I depend on riding and kayaking.
Old 03-13-17, 09:09 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Median, Marin Fairfax SC-6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best thing I've done for my health is to overhaul my diet. Not just for the obvious reasons of losing weight and feeling good but I have a damocles hanging over me. All the male members in my family died of cancer and I've also had cancer about 20 yrs ago. What gives me a feeling of well-being is knowing I'm doing my best to prevent it this time. So, I live clean, eat clean, and exercise quite a lot. I also try to get up to the country as often as I can to breathe fresh air.

You know, cancer is not a foreign invader to the body, like a virus. It's when one's own cells turn against them. I'm not going to let that happen. At least not without a real serious fight, lol.
Old 03-13-17, 09:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WolfRyder
"Exercise physiologist Kenneth Cooper concluded that Fixx was genetically predisposed - his father died of a heart attack at 43 after a previous one at 35, and Fixx himself had a congenitally enlarged heart - and had an unhealthy life: Fixx was a heavy smoker before beginning running at age 36, had a stressful occupation, had undergone a second divorce, and his weight before he took up running had ballooned to 214 pounds"
Mr. Fixx also had the mistaken belief that he could eat whatever he wanted because his running would take care of it. In his book, he even told people not to worry about food for this reason. People often think it was running that killed Mr. Fixx but it was running that very likely gave him a few more years than he would've had.
Old 03-13-17, 09:30 PM

Bikes: Not that many, just getting started.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hiller
Best thing I've done for my health is to overhaul my diet. Not just for the obvious reasons of losing weight and feeling good but I have a damocles hanging over me. All the male members in my family died of cancer and I've also had cancer about 20 yrs ago. What gives me a feeling of well-being is knowing I'm doing my best to prevent it this time. So, I live clean, eat clean, and exercise quite a lot. I also try to get up to the country as often as I can to breathe fresh air.

You know, cancer is not a foreign invader to the body, like a virus. It's when one's own cells turn against them. I'm not going to let that happen. At least not without a real serious fight, lol.
Good for you man to empower your self through a healthy lifestyle. We can't do much sometimes about genetic stuff, but we all make choices what to put in our bodies everyday. When you are eating cleaner and exercising we are generally feeling better on a daily basis. That means were getting more out of life!

I too have had cancer in my family. It was real rough watching my Dad die of cancer when I was young 22 at the time, and he has relatively young 54 also.

I hope you have recovered from your bout, and keep doing what you are doing.

Last edited by WolfRyder; 03-13-17 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-13-17, 10:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WolfRyder
Good for you man to empower your self through a healthy lifestyle. We can't do much sometimes about genetic stuff, but we all make choices what to put in our bodies everyday. When you are eating cleaner and exercising we are generally feeling better on a daily basis. That means were getting more out of life!

I too have had cancer in my family. It was real rough watching my Dad die of cancer when I was young 22, and he has relatively young 54 also.

I hope you have recovered from your bout, and keep doing what you are doing.
Thanks a lot, Wolf. I also watched my father die- from not being able to breathe (lung cancer). Sometimes, I think it would be more merciful to hang in the gallows than go this way.

I do want to feel if I get this that I have no regets because I did my all to stop it. I took a lot of inspiration from ex-Pres, Jimmy Carter, who last year fought off brain cancer. That part was amazing but the real inspiration was that his entire family died young from cancer but he held it off for years and years, presumably because of his healthy and active lifestyle.

Ron
Old 03-15-17, 03:20 AM

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
don't drink or smoke, cut out most fast and frozen foods. Started drinking more plain water. Have cut out most sweets. I drink too much coffee though and have to make sure I don't dehydrate myself.
Old 03-15-17, 04:27 AM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
Very impressive! Reminds me of my hero, Jack Lalanne.

Old 03-20-17, 10:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Very impressive! Reminds me of my hero, Jack Lalanne.

We need a 'like' button here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.