Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Don't usually post about rides, but...

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-19-17, 05:01 PM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2012 Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)

...our weekend weather here in SE Michigan has been incredible, and it's not even over with yet! In fact, it took me by surprise as my new (last September) Felt VR5 was still down in my basement shop awaiting some scheduled minor maintenance for the new season. So it was a bit of a rush to get everything ready and, at my age, just remembering where all the bits and pieces were was a challenge. I had "reorganized" my biking stuff a few months ago and had to find the things to stuff in my seat bag (did I buy some spare tubes for this bike?), find the gloves I wanted to take, and all that other stuff.

Anyway, it was a glorious day for a ride: not as warm as Saturday, but fully comfortable in arm warmers and lightweight tights over my bibs. But as my schedule this winter hasn't allowed me to take my usual spinning classes, my quads will definitely be hurting tomorrow! All the running I've done has kept me aerobically in top shape, but I haven't been exercising the right muscles for biking.

But it will all be worth it and I might even get out a couple more times this week before the bottom falls out again next weekend.
Old 02-19-17, 05:07 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Why push yourself right away, ease into this and enjoy the journey.
Old 02-19-17, 07:12 PM
GeneO 
Cyclopath

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1, Felt 2012 F55X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Same here in Chicagoland. I am not pushing myself too hard because it is supposed to be some good weather for a week (with a little train mixed in). I did one ride on the limestone trails I commute on and it was not pleasant as the trail was still suckingly soggy.
Old 02-19-17, 08:39 PM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2012 Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Same here in Chicagoland. I am not pushing myself too hard because it is supposed to be some good weather for a week (with a little train mixed in). I did one ride on the limestone trails I commute on and it was not pleasant as the trail was still suckingly soggy.
Yeah, my ride was all on a paved rail-trail, and I loaded the bike into the Subie to take it to a trailhead since the unpaved portion that I could ride on from home is muddy and rutted.
Old 02-20-17, 04:01 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Also same here. Beautiful club ride Sunday and today was the same.
Old 02-20-17, 04:50 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Another joyful Michigander up here on the 45th parallel. In Boyne Country we had 53 and sunny today. I grabbed the Cannondale Criterium and lit up the fog line for a hilly 12mi ride. No holding back, I rode like a posse was on my tail. My entire body felt that.