Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   New guy (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1098322-new-guy.html)

Tbone2 02-19-17 05:29 PM

New guy

I just picked up my new bike yesterday, I'm 60 years old for another month and haven't been on a bike in 30+ years.
I'm going to try to post a pic or two and see if I can figure out how to do that, then I will prattle on about my new adventures.

Well looks like I need a little help posting pics.

Any way I bought a Giant Escape City, I rode 3 miles yesterday as soon as I got it home.
According to Map My Ride I rode 3.15 miles, Average speed was 10.8 mph max speed 26.1 mph, elevation gain was 85'.
I felt pretty good about that ride, I was not trying to prove anything I was just trying to maintain a good cadence and keep peddling.

Today I rode for 10 miles averaged 8 mph with max speed at 17 mph, elevation grade was 103'. I could have gone on for another hour for sure but don't want to temp fate, I do have to go to work tomorrow and don't want to be suffering.
That said my legs are holding up better than I expected, and the saddle sore is fairly mild, and it was fun. Today I was just plodding along enjoying to ride and sites and people along the way.

My goal is to add a trunk or something so I can pick up a few things at the grocery store, and ride to work everyday. For now I am going to concentrate on getting in better bike shape preparing for the daily commute.

I work in Baton Rouge, La, so I have to be prepared for rain out of now where at anytime.

I already have a small saddle bag containing a multi-tool, tube, and patch kit.
Before someone reminds me that I need a pump, I know I just ran out of money, I have a small car air compressor that I can use in a pinch at home I just hope I don't actually have a flat for another week.

So I'm back in the saddle, my wife thinks I'm crazy, my kids are amused and I really don't care.

10 Wheels 02-19-17 05:30 PM

Welcome to Bike Forums

NABodie 02-19-17 05:44 PM

Welcome back! That wind in your face feels good doesn't it? Don't over do it, just keep at it.

canklecat 02-19-17 05:56 PM

Well done, you're way ahead of where I was when I resumed cycling in 2015 after a 30 year hiatus. I made it only one mile the first day, and it took a month before I could ride 10 miles -- even then I needed to stop every mile or so to catch my breath.

BobbyG 02-19-17 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by NABodie (Post 19389118)
Welcome back! That wind in your face feels good doesn't it? Don't over do it, just keep at it.

+1

I'm 55 and have been bike commuting 3-4 days a week year round for the last 25 years. I returned to biking at 25 and the thrill has never worn off. Crampy hands? Beginner's arthritis? Stiff and sore joints? Nerve impingement? Screw 'em all! Fifteen minutes into a ride and I'm 14 years old again (minus the hair, eyesight, and hormonal turmoil).

So welcome! and go, Go, GO!

MickeyMaguire 02-20-17 02:07 AM

Watch out with that compressor. Pumps can be had for under $20 if you shop around. I have a two-way mini that I bought a few years ago (Giant branded). It fits in a handle bar bag or a rear Topeak bag comfortably.

churnman 02-20-17 06:59 AM

Owning a bike was my first emancipation from the family as a 7 yo. That may be the root of my continued love. I am a fair weather cyclist. Don't like the cold of NE Ohio in the Winter. You selected an excellent bike. My hybrid Trek 750 is like it and have had it for at least 30 years.
Added fenders and a rear rack this year with the intentions of occasionally encountering a Summer shower and possibly getting soft sided saddle bags to mount on the rear rack.

You found this place and that says something for you. Enjoy biking and become addicted to the endorphin high that an above average ride will give you.

a77impala 02-20-17 07:11 AM

You will find this is not a recovery group! We encourage and enjoy our addiction!
The deeper my involvement, the better I like it!

John E 02-20-17 07:18 AM

Welcome to the best group within the best bicycling forum on the Internet.

OldsCOOL 02-20-17 08:21 AM

Ride on. Knees in the breeze!

big john 02-20-17 08:23 AM

Of course you're crazy. Isn't it great?

BobbyG 02-20-17 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by a77impala (Post 19389989)
You will find this is not a recovery group! We encourage and enjoy our addiction!

:lol:

linberl 02-20-17 10:46 AM

When your family sees how much your mood has improved, and notices that spring in your step, then they'll understand. I got back into cycling in my very late 50's. After I had been riding a few years, my adult son decided to get a bike. He hadn't been on one since high school. Well, now he rides every day 30-50 miles (about twice what I do) and he got rid of his car! It's contagious --- don't be surprised if the rest of the family decided to join you =). Congrats and keep pedaling!

berner 02-20-17 03:59 PM

Yo Tbone. You will find the bike is just about the best invest you will have ever made. Welcome! I lived in Biloxy for about 10 years. I miss the place.

doctor j 02-20-17 04:53 PM

Welcome. Congrats on new ride. Keep riding. I'm guessing that all non-cycling spouses think we're crazy. I know mine does.

By the way, if the plural of mouse is mice, why shouldn't the plural of spouse be spice?

kbarj 02-20-17 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tbone2 (Post 19389091)
I just picked up my new bike yesterday, I'm 60 years old for another month and haven't been on a bike in 30+ years....

So I'm back in the saddle, my wife thinks I'm crazy, my kids are amused and I really don't care.

Looks like you found one of the keys to happiness!! Hopefully your bride will join you in this craziness, because it's even better together.

Tbone2 02-20-17 07:45 PM

Awh shucks

Thanks for the kind remarks and encouragement.
I tried to ride today and did for a short time but alas it got dark, realizing I had trouble seeing in the dark spots and by that I don't mean I could not see to ride but I could not tell if it was a trash can are a pedestrian a block ahead I figured I'd better pack it in.
Had wanted to wait a week before spending more money but I got a bike and I got to ride it, sooooo

I ordered a Topeak Joe Blow II cause you gotta have air right?
I don't get off of work until 5:45 pm so I need lights ordered Planet Blinky Safety 1-Led light set, and Bright Eyes rechargeable headlight. Now by jingos I can ride after work.

The paint job on this new bike looks good but it is rough as a cobb, if I didn't know better I'd say it is overs spray.
The LBS must have forgotten to tighten the saddle as the bolt was loose, as a result the seat was all the way back. When I was riding this weekend I noticed that I was putting to much pressure on the handle bars and found it to be very uncomfortable.
I saw a post another new owner had posted about the pressure on the bars and he fixed it by adjusting his seat.Sure am glad I bought that multi tool. Moved the seat forward a little not a lot and it did help today, but I still need to find the sweet spot. Little bit at a time right?

Tell you the truth I thought it would take a month or so to get into good enough shape to commute to work but right it looks like getting my bum used to the saddle is the hold up. I will make the maiden work run this weekend and see how it goes.

Thanks the warm reception and replies.

DeadGrandpa 02-20-17 08:47 PM

Welcome. You didn't mention a helmet, but you need one. Cheap ones are just as protective as expensive ones. Gradually increasing miles as you dial in your seat position is good. Be safe.

rm -rf 02-20-17 09:09 PM

"So I'm back in the saddle, my wife thinks I'm crazy, my kids are amused and I really don't care." :beer:

Nice bike.

You mentioned the saddle position: Try setting it level, and high enough so your heel just touches the pedal when the pedal is all the way down. That way, you have the right bend in your leg when pedaling on the balls of your feet.

The specs show your tires are 32c size. You'll have a smoother ride if you don't overinflate them. Try 55-60 psi front, and 70 psi rear, a little more if you are quite heavy.

Tbone2 02-20-17 09:52 PM

Got a Giro high viz helmet before I left the store.

Tbone2 02-20-17 09:59 PM

Yes the LBS got the saddle hight right just missed the fore and aft.
Do appreciate the advice on tire pressure have no idea about that one, I will go with your recommendations and see how it goes.

Carbonfiberboy 02-20-17 10:08 PM

I started riding again the summer I turned 50. I spent the rest of the summer trying to ride up the 500' hill to a local shopping mall, maybe 15 miles round trip. Not that I ever shop there, but the roads were friendly and it was a goal. It took me a long time to feel like hills were my friends. A couple summers later, I started riding with a group whose motto was "see hill, ride up it."

jon c. 02-20-17 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tbone2 (Post 19391617)

Tell you the truth I thought it would take a month or so to get into good enough shape to commute to work but right it looks like getting my bum used to the saddle is the hold up. I will make the maiden work run this weekend and see how it goes.

I started 4 or 5 years ago after a similar break. One of the great things about starting out is that you improve quickly. The first few months your capacity increases quickly.

1989Pre 02-21-17 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tbone2 (Post 19391875)
Yes the LBS got the saddle hight right just missed the fore and aft.
Do appreciate the advice on tire pressure have no idea about that one, I will go with your recommendations and see how it goes.

Tb: For posting photos, click Quick Reply, then Go Advanced, then Manage attachments. I put the file on my desktop, so that the app can find it easily. You should be able to upload then.

Biker395 02-21-17 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by 1989Pre (Post 19392352)
Tb: For posting photos, click Quick Reply, then Go Advanced, then Manage attachments. I put the file on my desktop, so that the app can find it easily. You should be able to upload then.

In my experience, that only works if the photo is below a certain size and dimension.

You might be better off using one of the free photo sharing services (Photobucket, for example), and posting the photos from there.