Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Another newbie

Old 02-23-17, 07:35 AM
StoneFence

Bikes: Jamis Satellite Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another newbie

Hey all!

I just started hanging around because I got a new road bike and I'm starting training for my first Tri at the age of 51. I'm starting out as a newbie because I rarely rode. I've been a runner for awhile.

Unfortunately we are having spectacular weather where I live right now, but I have some sort of respiratory plague.

So, I have a bike that fits, a saddle that works and a pair of bike shorts. I'm ready to go!
Old 02-23-17, 11:08 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to BF! You've probably found the tri subforum that'll be more focused on that topic. Entering this subforum at 51 and you're now considered the young bucks (well, me too, at 52). I'm leaning towards doing tri's too; a few years ago my colleague did his first Ironman (Kona) at 57, so there's hope for us all.
Old 02-23-17, 11:43 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums from a 72 y/o. Put on one of those medical face masks if necessary and get out and ride.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 02-23-17, 02:22 PM
StoneFence

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. I will be checking out the Tri forum too. I'm going to consider myself a newbie because the last bike I bought was a Specialized Hard Rock, 22 years ago. I rarely rode it. When I went to buy my road bike, I had no idea that a steel bike could be so light! I could see cycling becoming my primary sport (At least for 6 months of the year). My doc would probably prefer running, so I could protect my bones.
Old 02-23-17, 02:31 PM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 6587 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 62 Posts
best steel alloys, are stronger, so you need less to have adequate strength.

lots of Ex runners take up cycling, because they pounded their joints for too many years..
Old 02-23-17, 02:38 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
dump the running and swimming and just ride

welcome
Old 02-23-17, 02:44 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by StoneFence View Post
Thanks for the welcome. I will be checking out the Tri forum too. I'm going to consider myself a newbie because the last bike I bought was a Specialized Hard Rock, 22 years ago. I rarely rode it. When I went to buy my road bike, I had no idea that a steel bike could be so light! I could see cycling becoming my primary sport (At least for 6 months of the year). My doc would probably prefer running, so I could protect my bones.
Welcome to BF.
Cycling as your primary sport for much of the year is good in that it is a 'non impact' form of exercise, ie. your joints/bones don't get jarred, as in running/gymnastics/tennis. This statement assumes, of course, that you keep the rubber side down.

Good luck with the Tri effort.
Let us (50+ forum) know how it goes. We love success stories (with pics), especially if it's about the suffering and milestones, more than the race itself.
Hope you been swimmin more than ridin in the last 2 decades.
70sFollis 072/71 Bottecchia Giro d Italia/72 Zeus Competition/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/84 Pinarello SuperRecord/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/88 Falcon Race/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico: The less ridden = '97 CoMotion tandem + city bike, mtn bike, beach cruiser
Old 02-23-17, 02:47 PM
Lanceoldstrong
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welome, have fun.
I agree with the cycling only views voiced here, I gave up running in my 30's after doing it since my teens.
Cycling is my true love.
Old 02-23-17, 03:19 PM
StoneFence

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

Running is important because I need weight bearing exercise to prevent osteoporosis.

I took a series of swimming lessons in the fall and joined the Y at the beginning of the year so I could swim regularly. Started doing strength training too. I also have got some miles on a spin bike.