Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Finally tried the "other guy".

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-26-17, 03:54 PM
oldnslow2

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts

Not looking to start another Shimano vs Sram debate.

I've been riding Sram since 2011 when I got back into cycling. I did borrow a bike with 105 on it for a group ride where my son went to college. This past Wednesday, i was in Scottsdale, Az. and rented a bike very similar to mine, the major difference was Shimano Ultegra mechanical.

I have a Emonda SLR with Sram Red (mechanical for 2015 and eTap for 2016). The rental was a Emonda SL6 with Ultegra.

The drivetrain was really nice, but the shifters bothered me. I really disliked having to move the brake lever sideways to change gears and the other shifter was a bit hard to find and vague. I also disliked the gap in the hoods where the little shifter needs to move.

I know it's all about personal preference and what you are used to.

Another issue I had with the bike was the saddle. Mine has a Bontrager Paradigm RXXXL while the rental has a Paradigm Race. The rental was way too soft and started to bother me. I also have a Paradigm RL and have no problem with it.

I guess it's all about what your used to and riding another bike can be eye opening.
Old 02-26-17, 07:38 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 1985 Novara Strada, 2013 BD Motobecane 650ht, 90 Trek 850

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
When I bought my Ridley Fenix, I test rode one with 105. As I was moving from a vintage with downtube shifting, I didn't like brake lever shifting either.

I ended up with sram force 22, mostly for having a dedicated shift lever.
Old 02-26-17, 07:59 PM
beechnutC23
U.I.O.G.D.

Bikes: Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, Marinoni Special EL-OS/Campy Record, Rocky Mountain hybrid, Rocky Mountain mtb Cervelo R3 Team/Campy Chorus FOR SALE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a steel Marinoni, 1993 vintage, with Campagnolo Record ergopower (first-generation, 9-speed). Finally went carbon in 2012 with a Cervelo R3T with Ultegra. After so many years on Campy I couldn't get used to the Shimano shifting, so I converted the bike over to Campy Chorus. My son is part-owner of a bike shop so I get everything at cost. Fast forward, the Cervelo was always a poor fit. The frame was just one size too big, could never get comfortable on it. I bought it on a whim at an end of season sale. Big mistake.

So I bought a Marinoni Genius carbon last year. And I set it up on Campy Record. I love it. It shifts like it should and it is so comfortable I can do 80 km rides without getting off the bike. On the Cervelo I had to get off every 30 km or so to stretch. I've never ridden SRAM, but I will swear by Campy over Shimano. It just works better for me. The Ultegra certainly shifted butter-smooth, the Campy feels much more, shall we say, "positive" (i.e. a bit more harsh) in action, both equally precise. But I like the shifting better.
Old 02-27-17, 01:34 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's what you get used to. I prefer Shimano over SRAM because I like the idea of having the brake lever act as a shift lever. Use it to go up the cogs and the inner paddle to go down the cogs. I also like the idea that moving the lever farther in will move your chain up/down two gears rather than just one. I borrowed a friends bike on a "let's go for a ride" whim when I didn't have my bike with me. I just couldn't get used to not being able to use the brake lever as a shifter. Yes, I missed a lot of shifts that day.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-27-17, 02:57 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I have SRAM Red, DuraAce and Campy Super Record 11 sp (all 3 are mechanical). DuraAce is the 7800 version and is buttery smooth, never misses a shift. SRAM Red is very functional and works great. Campy Super Record works fine but needs constant attention with the RD---I have to align the RD "regularly" for it to shirt as it should. I think my Pinarello frame with the Campy is just a fraction off the proper alignment.....

I've avoided trying electronic shifting as I don't want to get spoiled.....I can't afford the upgrade!

I agree that there are benefits to all of them......I mostly ride the Campy and when I jump on another bike my thumbs are constantly looking for the shifter buttons!!
Old 02-27-17, 03:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Quoted: 6074 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 75 Posts
Coke vs Pepsi

I will say that the recent debacle with Shimano C35/C50 wheels has left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 02-27-17, 03:12 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8206 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 71 Posts
I definitely liked SRAM's "double tap" shifting, but I have adapted since going back to Shimano (DA 9000) for my recent custom frame.
Old 02-27-17, 10:27 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have 2 road bikes with bar-end shifters, 2 with Ultegra 9 spd brifters, and 1 with 9 spd Microshift brifters. They all work perfectly. I will occasionally forget which system I'm using and miss a shift, especially when going from Ultegra to Microshift. But it's no biggie and have, really, no preferences.
Old 02-27-17, 10:33 PM
GeneO 
Cyclopath

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1, Felt 2012 F55X

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Force 1x double tap and Ultegra 6800 and like both. I think I prefer the double tap, it just seems more natural, but I like my Ultegra too. It is a bit of a pain switching between them as I don't do it often (my main ride is now the SRAM).
Old 02-28-17, 06:31 AM
oldnslow2

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V View Post
I also like the idea that moving the lever farther in will move your chain up/down two gears rather than just one.
Sram double tap can move as many as 3 gears with a single push of the single lever.

Again, no right or wrong, just what you're used to.
Old 02-28-17, 07:46 AM
K100Fran

Bikes: 1993 GT Corrado, 1999 Kona Explosif, 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I am riding Ultegra, it's only because I got my Synapse 3 on sale for a bit less than the dealer that had the Synapse 4 (with SRAM). Like an earlier post I was coming from 105 downtube shifters. I like the fact that with SRAM the brake lever is just that, the brake lever. However I quickly adapted to the Shimano style and it does work exceptionally well, plus I really like the conservative styling of my black bike, where the Ultegra 4 (at the time) was white and bright green. That was a bit too much for this over 50 not so fast rider.
Old 02-28-17, 09:51 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a big fan of SRAM with mechanical Force on my Titanium GT, mechanical Red on my KHS Team (double century bike) and E-Tap wireless electrical on my GURU Photon.

My mountain bike (GT Zaskar) was originally spec'd Shimano but as the Shimano bits wore out I replaced them (everything except the front derailluer so far) with SRAM.

Shimano Exception: My commute bike (Taiwan steel frame) has 8-Speed Shimano STI (one chain-ring only).

Campagnolo Exception: My fixed gear bike ('75 California MASI) is mostly Campagnolo.

Rick / OCRR
Old 03-01-17, 09:33 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 & 1960 Capo; 1982 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe View Post
I have 2 road bikes with bar-end shifters, 2 with Ultegra 9 spd brifters, and 1 with 9 spd Microshift brifters. They all work perfectly. I will occasionally forget which system I'm using and miss a shift, especially when going from Ultegra to Microshift. But it's no biggie and have, really, no preferences.
For mechanical shift, I still favor downtube control for those who do not mind taking a hand off the bars and barcons for those who do. (I use thumbies on the mountain bike's flat bars.) I really like being able to sweep through any desired number of cogs in back in a single motion.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-01-17, 09:58 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 1661 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
I learned one brifter system in '99, and stuck with it.

In the friction world brake levers didn't swivel, mine still don't.
70sFollis 072/71 Bottecchia Giro d Italia/72 Zeus Competition/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/84 Pinarello SuperRecord/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/88 Falcon Race/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico: The less ridden = '97 CoMotion tandem + city bike, mtn bike, beach cruiser
Old 03-01-17, 10:25 AM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I started riding abou 10 years ago I went to my brother for advice since he is an excellent cyclist, and still is. At that time he owned a fishing service on a river so he had several rental boats and rental fishing equipment. He said he could send customers out with any model Shimano reel he had and it would work, no matter how cheap or exspensive. Not true of other brands. He said it is also true in cycling.