Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Club ride (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1099072-club-ride.html)

Tbone2 02-26-17 06:22 PM

Club ride

I posted this under the did you ride today but realized maybe that was not the best place so here it is again.

Today is day 8 with my new bike, found the Baton Rouge Bike Club and rode with them for about 16 miles. ( I swear it was more but that is what the leader said )

This was really what I needed, so far I have ridden by myself and consistently average 9 mph.
The ride was described as a class C meaning 10 to 14 mph but no faster than the slowest rider. Being Mardi Gras there were only three riders besides myself but they were patient and very friendly, offered lots of good advice. I hung in there pretty well for the first half of the ride but on the way back started lagging behind, they pulled over several time and let me catch up.
But I made it, average speed was 12 mph and max speed was 33 mph. I'm happy with that for now.

That was just what I needed, a friendly push, if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger right?

Speaking of a friendly push as we were going through the LSU campus there was an unmanned guard shake in the middle of the road with bollards to tighten up the lane so only one car can pass through at a time and as I approached I thought I was taking the lane obviously I was mistaken cause a big SUV eased up next to me as we approached the check point and literally forced me to go around the bollard on the wrong side. The lady looked at me, gave me a big hearty smile and waved as I dodged the bollard. I just had to smile back as I think she was clueless as to what just happened. Next time I will be smack in the middle of the lane, lesson learned.

Wileyrat 02-26-17 07:31 PM

Congrats! They say the best way to get better is to ride with people better than you.

I did a club ride today too. They had lunch set up at the halfway point (3ft club sandwiches).

BlazingPedals 02-26-17 08:02 PM

Saturday here was a windy 24F with snow flurries. I'm hoping that next Saturday will be better. Weekday evening rides start in April!

Artmo 02-27-17 08:13 AM

After a year of afib, during which I could not ride above about 13 mph without my HR going through the roof, followed by a cardiac ablation, then a heavy chest cold lasting about two weeks, I managed 16.9 mph for 23 miles with our oldie group on my Scott on Saturday (75F). That's the fastest since Sept 2015. I think my "new" asthma inhaler helped, too. My "old" one, Advair, fell off the insurance formulary this year, so now I have Symbicort. Bloody marvelous! I can breathe deeply at last! I am 76.

doctor j 02-27-17 08:24 PM

Well done, Tbone2. Sounds like you found a good group.

InTheRain 02-27-17 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Artmo (Post 19405684)
After a year of afib, during which I could not ride above about 13 mph without my HR going through the roof, followed by a cardiac ablation, then a heavy chest cold lasting about two weeks, I managed 16.9 mph for 23 miles with our oldie group on my Scott on Saturday (75F). That's the fastest since Sept 2015. I think my "new" asthma inhaler helped, too. My "old" one, Advair, fell off the insurance formulary this year, so now I have Symbicort. Bloody marvelous! I can breathe deeply at last! I am 76.

Those are some pretty great numbers for a 76 year old! I hope I can do the 13mph at that age. I know guys that are 76 and don't have the energy to change the tv channel with a remote. You're an inspiration... you keep going even with the health issues. You don't seem like an excuse type of person.