Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Cycling tip actually worked (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/1099465-cycling-tip-actually-worked.html)

BikeArkansas 03-02-17 12:22 PM

Cycling tip actually worked

A couple weeks ago I was on a club ride with about 8 riders. Our pace was 18 t0 20 MPH (according to who was pulling) on mostly flat terrain. One of the riders had been out for a while due to some type of physical ailment. He normally does not struggle at all to stay in our paceline, but this day he was having trouble.

When I saw him fall back I slowed to let him catch up. He thanked me for coming back and for pulling at a slower pace. I then told him we were going to try a tip I had read. He said he was game for anything. The group was a couple hundred yards ahead of us and coming to an intersection. Instead of turning where the group did, I took him straight as this would cut close to a mile from the route which would give him a chance to rest a little. When we did join with the group again he was feeling much better and was back on the pace for the remainder of the 35 mile course. I had read that taking a short cut when falling back could help. It did.

Kindaslow 03-02-17 08:56 PM

Thanks for the humor! Well, I think it was humor, kind of, or mostly...

kbarj 03-03-17 06:14 AM

Makes sense. But it was a good thing you knew the route options! And good for you in dropping back to stay with an ailing rider!

bruce19 03-03-17 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by BikeArkansas (Post 19413805)
A couple weeks ago I was on a club ride with about 8 riders. Our pace was 18 t0 20 MPH (according to who was pulling) on mostly flat terrain.

Veteran riders who are accomplished in pacelines will tell you that the pace should be even and not dependent on who is pulling. At least that's what the ex-racers I ride with have told me.

h2oxtc 03-03-17 09:28 AM

I've been on the receiving end of someone dropping back to help me along while on a group ride ... I wouldn't hesitate to do the same (last Saturday for example). For me cycling is all about enjoying the ride, whether it's hard climbing or riding in a paceline, they're both fun. Helping others enjoy cycling is also enjoyable, and sometimes this means dropping back and pulling for a while. Just thinking about this, I have a good friend who I met by dropping back to help someone who at the time was new to group rides - likely wouldn't have made the friendship had I not dropped back to pull for a while. Was absolutely worth it.

rumrunn6 03-03-17 09:56 AM

really nice of you :thumb: & impressive you knew the route so well

BikeArkansas 03-03-17 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kindaslow (Post 19414978)
Thanks for the humor! Well, I think it was humor, kind of, or mostly...

You are welcome. I am happy you are easily amused.

Kindaslow 03-03-17 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by BikeArkansas (Post 19416339)
You are welcome. I am happy you are easily amused.

Me too, it makes for a happier life!

rob214 03-04-17 07:01 PM

i've done this 2 times but without the benefit of an alternate route. i felt bad for the suffering rider and i know the pain. i dropped back and pulled to the next rest stop, we got a breather and rejoined with a different group. all was good and i didn't really lose much time and felt good about helping a fellow rider make it to the end of the ride.
i know how it feels to be the slowest buffalo in a group as the guys i usually ride with are much faster than i am and at events they usually don't wait on me.
good on you and thanks for the tip about cutting the route. i'll remember that for rides that don't matter

BobbyG 03-05-17 09:28 AM

The best cycling tip that helped me was to dress a little lighter in cold weather; that if you can stand being a little cold for the first 10-15 minutes, the rest of the ride will be more comfortable, with less perspiration.

Biker395 03-05-17 09:51 AM

Meh ... I'd have acted proactively instead and let a 30 psi out of the leaders' tires.

Now that's a cycling tip I can really get behind. :D

Up North 03-08-17 08:15 AM

Whatever works! However, in Ontario our cycling association (which covers club rides insurance wise) would not cover anyone who jumps from group ride route. Just food for thought, rules probably different everywhere. I carry calcium chews - mega 1200mg, if someone is starting to cramp up they work wonders - give them two and it has helped many make it back comfortably.

OldsCOOL 03-08-17 08:37 AM

Love the humor. :lol:

"Toss a rock into a pack of dogs and the one that yelps, is the one you hit".