Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Caffeine, fatigue, and withdrawal

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-05-17, 02:59 AM

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

A couple of things transpired to give me the message that I needed to do something about my caffeine intake - multiple healthcare providers telling me what I already knew - it's really excessive. I have been sleeping very restlessly and waking multiple times during the night, feel pretty drained many times, and using more and more of it to push myself to keep going but seeing diminishing returns from it.

So, the ugly truth is ... I was consuming up to a case (144 ounces, more than a gallon) of diet soda a day, plus 2 to 4 sugar-free energy drinks every day ... plus the occasional caffeine pill (200 mgs) some days. Over the past few weeks I've used energy shots some evenings, taking it on the commute home, to get a boost to do things at home. When I started taking two energy shots a few hours apart I said "whoa!" to myself.

On Tuesday I had my annual physical. In the last year, I've dropped 42 pounds based on their records. But it has been much more of a struggle than it should have been. My PCP said she was more concerned about the appetite stimuating effects of the artificial sweeteners I'm consuming in all that. Her comment was that she sees positive results in her diabetic patients when she convinces them to cut back on artificial sweeteners. I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic - labs were pre-drawn prior and my A1-C was 5.1, fasting blood glucose was 73.

So, timing was appropriate, I had a "last Monster" very early Ash Wednesday then quit cold turkey for Lent. Instead of diet soda, I bought supplies for Week 1 - 7 gallons of distilled water, packets of dehydrated True Lime powder, and a couple of cases of Pelligrino for the fizz. A gallon a day of real water is my minimum goal.

Results have been interesting. Going into my 5th day of a constant headache front center of my forehead, but NSAIDs keep it minimal. Despite the water, my legs have swollen a lot with edema, probably due to loss of the diuretic effect. Overall though, nothing like I expected to feel - counterintuitively, I seem to have more energy, had a couple of really good evenings at home getting into my annual deep cleaning for Spring. Still waking at night but less and experiencing REM sleep more, since I have had dreams, which I wasn't prior hardly at all.

Tempted a couple of times but sticking with it!
Old 03-05-17, 06:28 AM

Bikes: 1986 Specialized Allez SE "Jim Merz" edition, Trek 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It took a lot to be so frank about your habits. The energy drinks you are staying away from have made me sorta manic in the past and interrupted my sleep patterns. I am a 65 and diabetic and have avoided sugar and diet sodas like the plague for the past few months and I am losing weight, having better sleep and generally feel better. The best thing I have done however is using portion control to assist in controlling my blood sugar. That and I no longer eat after 5PM. Many my age tell me that they eat considerably less than they did when younger and I have found this to be beneficial in achieving my health standards. I drink a lot of tap water too, cannot buy into the thinking that what comes out of the tap is that much worse. OK, I am cheap too.
Old 03-05-17, 06:32 AM

Bikes: Jamis Satellite Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go!

Originally Posted by DaveQ24
A couple of things transpired to give me the message that I needed to do something about my caffeine intake - multiple healthcare providers telling me what I already knew - it's really excessive. I have been sleeping very restlessly and waking multiple times during the night, feel pretty drained many times, and using more and more of it to push myself to keep going but seeing diminishing returns from it.

So, the ugly truth is ... I was consuming up to a case (144 ounces, more than a gallon) of diet soda a day, plus 2 to 4 sugar-free energy drinks every day ... plus the occasional caffeine pill (200 mgs) some days. Over the past few weeks I've used energy shots some evenings, taking it on the commute home, to get a boost to do things at home. When I started taking two energy shots a few hours apart I said "whoa!" to myself.

On Tuesday I had my annual physical. In the last year, I've dropped 42 pounds based on their records. But it has been much more of a struggle than it should have been. My PCP said she was more concerned about the appetite stimuating effects of the artificial sweeteners I'm consuming in all that. Her comment was that she sees positive results in her diabetic patients when she convinces them to cut back on artificial sweeteners. I'm not diabetic or pre-diabetic - labs were pre-drawn prior and my A1-C was 5.1, fasting blood glucose was 73.

So, timing was appropriate, I had a "last Monster" very early Ash Wednesday then quit cold turkey for Lent. Instead of diet soda, I bought supplies for Week 1 - 7 gallons of distilled water, packets of dehydrated True Lime powder, and a couple of cases of Pelligrino for the fizz. A gallon a day of real water is my minimum goal.

Results have been interesting. Going into my 5th day of a constant headache front center of my forehead, but NSAIDs keep it minimal. Despite the water, my legs have swollen a lot with edema, probably due to loss of the diuretic effect. Overall though, nothing like I expected to feel - counterintuitively, I seem to have more energy, had a couple of really good evenings at home getting into my annual deep cleaning for Spring. Still waking at night but less and experiencing REM sleep more, since I have had dreams, which I wasn't prior hardly at all.

Good job getting that monkey off your back!

That amount of diet soda was really worrisome. Have you seen the dentist lately? All soda is bad for teeth, with or without the sugar.
Old 03-05-17, 07:38 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
... So, timing was appropriate, I had a "last Monster" very early Ash Wednesday then quit cold turkey for Lent. Instead of diet soda, I bought supplies for Week 1 - 7 gallons of distilled water, packets of dehydrated True Lime powder, and a couple of cases of Pelligrino for the fizz. A gallon a day of real water is my minimum goal.

A gallon of water a day might be a little on the excessive side. Over-hydration might have something to do with the headache and edema.
Old 03-05-17, 07:39 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Wow, what a withdrawal you put yourself through. That takes courage. You are going to like the new you. I drink a few mugs of strong black coffee after breakfast and that's it. Some years back I would have an evening snack with a diet soda or two. When I finally put an end to it the effects on sleep were surprising. Anyways, continue on and I hope the headaches quit soon.
Old 03-05-17, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for sharing your habits & good for you for taking action!

I'm a non coffee drinker, always have been. I don't want to rely on stimulants. I don't drink pop, energy drinks, or juice either, just water. They have no redeeming qualities and I have tons of energy.

Good luck with your diet & your new healthy lifestyle!
Old 03-05-17, 08:26 AM
RVH
Bob in the mountains

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.9 (2004 model bought used)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
To limit my caffeine I now take a 20-oz large plastic cup, fill it 80% with water and then put a splash of grapefruit juice in it. It works well and I figured that the reason I was drinking so much coffee was that I was actually thirsty! I am down to 1-2 16 oz coffees a day from 3-4. I have had no withdrawal symptoms.
Old 03-05-17, 09:46 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Wow. We have something in common. No, have never consumed as much caffeine on a regular basis as you used to (I suspect that few do!), but I do consume too much.

The problem for me is that it's a vicious circle. I'm a little sleepy in the afternoon, so I'll have a spot of caffeine, either in the form of a soda or a cup of joe. The problem is, that spot of caffeine makes me sleep a little less soundly than I would otherwise, so the next day, I need even more caffeine to stay awake ... lather, rinse, repeat, dig myself into a deeper hole.

I've also done the "too much soda" thing. I was crewing a bud on the HooDoo 500 a few years ago, and drank pretty much nothing but Mountain Dew for 2 days. Gawd, I love the stuff. All was well until about 4 hours from the end, when I developed flu like symptoms and felt utterly crappy. I mean REALLY crappy. I dunno if it was the BVO (look it up ... bad stuff) or what, but I'll never do that again.

So every Lenten season, I give up something caffeine related ... sometimes giving up caffeine entirely. And every year, I get a nasty headache from it. Oy. The good news is that a little aspirin takes care of that (not Exedrin, though ... that has caffeine in it ... presumably that is the "extra strength" ingredient).

This year, I'm giving up soft drinks of all kind, caffeinated or not. I figure all those artificial sweeteners can't be a good thing either.

Anyway, good luck to you. No advice about how to make it easier on you ... just sayin you're doing the right thing, and I have an inkling about how you feel.

Last edited by Biker395; 03-05-17 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-05-17, 10:26 AM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
Going into my 5th day of a constant headache front center of my forehead, but NSAIDs keep it minimal....Tempted a couple of times but sticking with it!
You probably saved your life putting the brakes on the excessive caffeine consumption. And all those artificial sweeteners can't be good.

I just wanted to add that in college I was smoking two packs a day of unfiltered cigarettes and drinking 8-10 cups of coffee a day. On Yom Kippur, many jews will honor a total fast from sundown to sundown. With prayers and services and if the holiday occurs earlier in the year, that can be 26-28 hours. A total fast, no food OR LIQUIDS including water.

Even at two packs a day I didn't have a problem with nicotine withdrawl for one day, but the caffeine withdrawl head-aches were insane.

Anyway, I quit smoking in 1984, and I drink 2-3 cups of coffee a day with maybe a 20-ounce mountain dew before my improv comedy show once a month.

I have noticed since I turned 50 or so, I am much more sensitive to sugar than I used to be as far as getting the jitters and crashing.

So, congratulations, Dave, on a difficult adjustment. You already seem to have reaped some benefits in regard to energy and sleep. HEre's to continued success and even better health!
Old 03-05-17, 10:48 AM

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Wow, good job starting on a better path!
Old 03-05-17, 11:25 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Yeah, overhydration. Both the headache and leg swelling are probably related to that. It can be fatal because your brain cells swell up: first coma, then . . .

I use a product which contains an appropriate amount of electrolytes for my daily hydration but no artificial sweeteners. I drink less than a half gallon of it per day. I drink tea and juice with my meals and have 2 cups of coffee/day. I never drink any form of sodas.
Old 03-05-17, 12:15 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Well done Dave. The good things you for your body will always be with you but the soda and other junk is soon gone.
Bern
Old 03-05-17, 12:33 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Can't tell from post how much caffeine you were taking in - no mention of coffee, not all diet drinks have any caffeine - caffeine in energy drinks is variable. Those energy drinks do have a variety of other ingredients, some of which may have been large part of problem. Caffeine/coffee by itself in moderate amts is not considered harmful in any way for most folks. Diuretic effect is minimal for most people - comparable to drinking same amounts of any fluids. You were taking in impressively large volumes of diet soda and lotsa energy drinks, for sure!
Old 03-05-17, 12:45 PM

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
7 gallons of distilled water
I'm no nutritionist but I'd be careful with this. The distilled water doesn't have the minerals you get from "regular" water. I like CostCo bottled water which is purified water with added minerals.
Old 03-05-17, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
I'm no nutritionist but I'd be careful with this. The distilled water doesn't have the minerals you get from "regular" water. I like CostCo bottled water which is purified water with added minerals.
+1

and 1 gallon of liquids per day is a lot! You can actually overdose on water, hyponatremia.
Old 03-06-17, 11:59 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments, thoughts, and support.

Happy to say, my headache lasted through the weekend, but is finally gone. And it was never serious, just an annoyance.

I sweat heavily when I do a workout, and I do that 5 to 6 times a week, for 1-2 hours each session. So, drinking a gallon a day plus of fluid is pretty normal. The rule is 1/2 to 1 ounce per lb of body weight, at my current weight (176 this morning), a gallon isn't a problem.

I'm not worried about reducing my electrolytes too low - there is so much sodium in food (which I avoid, but everything has it), and I also take a potassium supplement prescribed by my cardiologist and OTC magnesium. The edema -- well, that's why I ended up in a position to be able to say the words "my cardiologist" - I have really horrible veins, and have been treated for almost 4 years for that - I've had 9 or 10 separate procedures, both ablation by laser probe and "vein stripping". It's better than it once was, but I still have some edema.

Just before lunch here, I was sitting at my desk trying to get through something, and actually nodded off for a minute. So it's still an adjustment ... but a much better kind of sleepy feeling, not "bone weary" - and I feel a LOT better overall.

Now that spring is basically here ... I'm planning on doing a LOT of riding mixed into my workout routines.
Old 03-06-17, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Everything in moderation!
Old 03-06-17, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts

WHEW!!! Lots of caffeine... but I suppose it adds up when one lists it out.

I've drank a lot of coffee, and quit several times in my life.

No headaches for quite some time.

Be careful, some "headache medicines" like Excedrin contain caffeine. But, perhaps known low doses might help with early weaning. Even some aspirin (or tylenol) formulations will contain caffeine.

When I quit in the past, I can remember some sleepy times, but then there was a honeymoon period within a week or two when I would bounce back and feel reasonably awake.

It has been about 3 or 4 years since my last caffeinated coffee/coke/etc. I'll occasionally have a decaffeinated coffee, but that is rare, and on rarer moments, have about 1/4 cup of coffee. I do like hot chocolate (theobromine )

I do have a bit of a "brain fuzz" feeling, so I've been considering restarting?? But there are probably more reasons not to.

As far as dieting... I used to like espresso coffee + lots of sugar. It was oddly filling.

For those legs... KEEP MOVING.

Perhaps a 20 mile bike ride. Toe clips/Clipless may help by moving the pedals more to the toes and keeping the calf muscles working.
Old 03-06-17, 01:21 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
congrats on losing 42 lbs in one year. that's amazing. addictions come in many forms & are no easy trick to quit. some reports are now linking addiction to certain genes. it could be a bigger problem than you think. you might benefit from additional help besides an annual physical. keep up the good work!
Old 03-06-17, 02:09 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
congrats on losing 42 lbs in one year. that's amazing. addictions come in many forms & are no easy trick to quit. some reports are now linking addiction to certain genes. it could be a bigger problem than you think. you might benefit from additional help besides an annual physical. keep up the good work!
Fortunately, it's only food - and the caffeine thing. I don't drink alcohol and never tried any "street drugs" (I was a very boring boy growing up).

Bikes don't count!
Old 03-06-17, 02:53 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
Bikes don't count!
Old 03-06-17, 04:45 PM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Great work on dumping caffeine! It's not easy.

I've done the same thing (although not quite the same level of addiction) over they years but my frequent business travel to Asia always put me back on caffeine in trying to function with jet lag. But I just did my last Asian trip (retiring here in about 90 days) so that's on the schedule to kick it once and for all.

J.